USB and Flash Card Question

I have a 5 year old HP with a front facing USB port. It works fine for my
Konica-Minolta digital camera (fine = recognizes camera as a drive). I got
Flash Card and the system doesn't recognize it. I downloaded the driver zip
file from the Flash Card manufacturer. I asked them if it would overlay or
foul up already installed USB drivers on the system. He said no, it wouldn't.
Is this true? Will I be in trouble with my digital casmera if I install their
driver? Thanks.

USB devices often have drivers of their own. Do as the rep suggested.
Typically, it's wisest to leave the device detached until you've
installed the drivers. Attach the device when prompted by Setup, or if
there's no prompt, after the drivers installation is finished.

Such drivers do not "overlay" the USB drivers, any more than printer
drivers "overlay" LPT port drivers. They're distinct. You need the USB
Controller drivers, the USB Hub drivers, and device drivers for whatever
peripheral gets attached to the USB port.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"John Lane" <JohnLane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 5 year old HP with a front facing USB port. It works fine for
>my
> Konica-Minolta digital camera (fine = recognizes camera as a drive). I
> got
> Flash Card and the system doesn't recognize it. I downloaded the
> driver zip
> file from the Flash Card manufacturer. I asked them if it would
> overlay or
> foul up already installed USB drivers on the system. He said no, it
> wouldn't.
> Is this true? Will I be in trouble with my digital casmera if I
> install their
> driver? Thanks.

Great! Thanks!