Sec Slave HDD Error + Won't recognize 98boot disk

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 1, 2005 2:14:36 PM

I have an old computer I am going to use again. I took one of the 2
harddrives, the cd, and 3.5 floppy out for my new computer when I put it
together and formated the harddrive I left in. When I put the CD and floppy
back in. (I beleived to the correct cables.) The comp was giving the errors:

Sec Slave HDD Error
Pri Slave Drive - ATAPI Incompatable
Hit F1 to continue

So I put the CD and Harddrive on the same cable with the Harddrive as the
master and CD as the slave and the "Pri Slave Drive" error went away.
Now I want to get rid of the "Sec Slave HDD Error" There is no other
harddrive anymore (I guess that is what HDD means). Whenever I try and get
into setup it asks for "current password" but I never gave it a password to
beginwith so I can't get into setup.
So how do I get rid of that error? Plus how do I get into setup?

The second problem is that when I hit F1 and continue it searches for a boot
disk, can't find one and asks me to inset one. When I do (I've tried 98 and
98SE) it says it is an invalid system disk. I have even tried just inserting
the 98 CD by itself. HELP! How do I get it to see the disk as a system disk,
as it clearly is so I can reinstall windows?
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 8:12:42 PM

PCR is correct that you need to get into the CMOS setup. Since you don't
know the password you will need to reset it. On some systems, you can
remove the battery for a period of time and the password will be lost and it
will default to no password. On others, you move a jumper on the
motherboard to reset it and then move the jumper back. The best place for
information is the manufacturer of this computer or the motherboard
manufacturer. Most will have documentation on their web site for their
motherboards.

PattyL

!