DUN password

Where does Win98 store the dial up password by default. In the registry
I found \software\microsoft\internet account manager\accounts\0000001\*
.. Are there any other places to look?

Thanks

bill

DUN passwords are not stored with the PWL files.
The PWL files usually stores log in passwords.
I am trying to locate where the DUN password is stored. In the registry
path \software\microsoft\internet account manager\accounts\0000001\ has
a spot for password but it only showing four dots for the DWORD.

As I recall, it is in the .pwl file

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

<woettinger@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Where does Win98 store the dial up password by default. In the registry
> I found \software\microsoft\internet account manager\accounts\0000001\*
> . Are there any other places to look?
>
> Thanks

I no longer have a dial up connection so I cannot check; however, when I
did, I recall the DUN password being stored in the .pwl file. I once had a
program to look into the .pwl file (you can probably find one using
google.com) and I also found that a shareware program was using the .pwl
file to store the info used to activate the program. You might want to take
a look at this article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=148925 as it
talks about .pwl files and DUN passwords.
--

"Bill" <woettinger@gmail.com> wrote in message
> DUN passwords are not stored with the PWL files.
> The PWL files usually stores log in passwords.
> I am trying to locate where the DUN password is stored. In the registry
> path \software\microsoft\internet account manager\accounts\0000001\ has
> a spot for password but it only showing four dots for the DWORD.

Ron, I believe the file was Rna.pwl. There was also another pwl file for
each different account that logged into windows. (might only be one if
everyone used the same and just clicked ok with a blank password. )

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
>I no longer have a dial up connection so I cannot check; however, when I
>did, I recall the DUN password being stored in the .pwl file. I once had a
>program to look into the .pwl file (you can probably find one using
>google.com) and I also found that a shareware program was using the .pwl
>file to store the info used to activate the program. You might want to
>take a look at this article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=148925 as
>it talks about .pwl files and DUN passwords.
> --
> Regards
>

> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>

> "Bill" <woettinger@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> DUN passwords are not stored with the PWL files.
>> The PWL files usually stores log in passwords.
>> I am trying to locate where the DUN password is stored. In the registry
>> path \software\microsoft\internet account manager\accounts\0000001\ has
>> a spot for password but it only showing four dots for the DWORD.

Jon,

Rna.pwl is the .pwl file used to store dial up server and direct cable
connection passwords. The other .pwl files (i.e., ron.pwl) you refer to
held the logon password for that particular user and as I recall, the DUN
password and other passwords and such from 3rd party programs.

--

"Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
> Ron, I believe the file was Rna.pwl. There was also another pwl file for
> each different account that logged into windows. (might only be one if
> everyone used the same and just clicked ok with a blank password. )
>
> --
> Jon Hildrum
> DTS MVP
> Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
> www.hildrum.com
> "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
>>I no longer have a dial up connection so I cannot check; however, when I
>>did, I recall the DUN password being stored in the .pwl file. I once had
>>a program to look into the .pwl file (you can probably find one using
>>google.com) and I also found that a shareware program was using the .pwl
>>file to store the info used to activate the program. You might want to
>>take a look at this article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=148925 as
>>it talks about .pwl files and DUN passwords.
>> --
>> Regards
>>

>> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
>> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
>> Knowledge Base Info:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>>

>> "Bill" <woettinger@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> DUN passwords are not stored with the PWL files.
>>> The PWL files usually stores log in passwords.
>>> I am trying to locate where the DUN password is stored. In the registry
>>> path \software\microsoft\internet account manager\accounts\0000001\ has
>>> a spot for password but it only showing four dots for the DWORD.

So far as I know, it is in xxx.pwl.
Are you wanting the passwords or to delete an entry?
Just name one to .old and see what happens next time you want to connect.
You can edit it (remove entries) with the pwl editor (on 98 CD)
And there are aps. to show you the passwords.
--
mae

"Bill" <woettinger@gmail.com> wrote in message
| DUN passwords are not stored with the PWL files.
| The PWL files usually stores log in passwords.
| I am trying to locate where the DUN password is stored. In the registry
| path \software\microsoft\internet account manager\accounts\0000001\ has
| a spot for password but it only showing four dots for the DWORD.

You are correct, Ron.
Here, on Win98SE, the Glee29.pwl file was accessed (Last Modified date and time) at
10:12 PM August 1, 2005... the time when I just connected with my dial-up
connection.

Rna.pwl has not been accessed since 1999 here.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm