Black screen, please help.

Whenever i turn my computer on, it loads up normally, then before it gets to
the name/password screen, the whole screen goes black and i have to restart.
I can get in thru safemode, but not in any other mode. I ran many virus
scans and spyware scans and thru msconfig i stopped anything from starting
upon windows startup. i use windows 98. please someone help.
8 answers Last reply
More about black screen help

    You've been using a computer that won't boot to Normal Mode for months?
    Because that's the way I read your original post--that you can't get
    into Normal Mode Windows. The last backup of your Registry occurred the
    first time you booted to Normal Mode on the last day it booted to Normal
    Mode.

    Perhaps we understood you wrongly?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > this is an ongoing problem, it has lasted months, so i dont think the
    > registry backup will work.

    it boots up, then before it gets to windows screen, the screen goes black,
    also i can hear the computer still running after screen goes black.

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > You've been using a computer that won't boot to Normal Mode for months?
    > Because that's the way I read your original post--that you can't get
    > into Normal Mode Windows. The last backup of your Registry occurred the
    > first time you booted to Normal Mode on the last day it booted to Normal
    > Mode.
    >
    > Perhaps we understood you wrongly?
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > this is an ongoing problem, it has lasted months, so i dont think the
    > > registry backup will work.

    also, it isnt the only computer i have. i am giving it to someone and i am
    trying to get it fixed.

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > You've been using a computer that won't boot to Normal Mode for months?
    > Because that's the way I read your original post--that you can't get
    > into Normal Mode Windows. The last backup of your Registry occurred the
    > first time you booted to Normal Mode on the last day it booted to Normal
    > Mode.
    >
    > Perhaps we understood you wrongly?
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > this is an ongoing problem, it has lasted months, so i dont think the
    > > registry backup will work.

    May as well look at the dates...

    (1)
    (a) START button, Settings, Folder Options, View tab.
    Bolt "Show all files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions..."

    (b) "START button, Find, F/F, RB???.cab".
    Those are the Registry backups, in Sysbckup\. Are there five, plus
    an RBbad? Are the dates consistent with each of the last five days
    you've successfully boot to Normal Mode? What is the date on RBbad?

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | it boots up, then before it gets to windows screen, the screen goes
    black,
    | also i can hear the computer still running after screen goes black.
    |
    | "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    |
    | > You've been using a computer that won't boot to Normal Mode for
    months?
    | > Because that's the way I read your original post--that you can't get
    | > into Normal Mode Windows. The last backup of your Registry occurred
    the
    | > first time you booted to Normal Mode on the last day it booted to
    Normal
    | > Mode.
    | >
    | > Perhaps we understood you wrongly?
    | >
    | > --
    | > Gary S. Terhune
    | > MS MVP Shell/User
    | > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    | >
    | > "AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > this is an ongoing problem, it has lasted months, so i dont think
    the
    | > > registry backup will work.

    Sounds like a refresh rate or screen mode error - try this:

    Boot into Safe Mode by either hitting F8 or by holding down the Ctrl key
    after memory and drives are checked but before Windows starts up. Enter the
    Display Properties screen either from the Control Panel or by right-clicking
    an empty part of the desktop and selecting Properties. On the Settings tab,
    set the display to 640x480, 256 colors. You'll be warned that these
    settings
    will be applied when you reboot - that's fine, that's what we want. Restart
    the system and you should have a display visible, and you can slowly and
    carefully change your display back to the resolution and color depth it was
    at, one step at a time.

    "AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > it boots up, then before it gets to windows screen, the screen goes black,
    > also i can hear the computer still running after screen goes black.
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    >> You've been using a computer that won't boot to Normal Mode for months?
    >> Because that's the way I read your original post--that you can't get
    >> into Normal Mode Windows. The last backup of your Registry occurred the
    >> first time you booted to Normal Mode on the last day it booted to Normal
    >> Mode.
    >>
    >> Perhaps we understood you wrongly?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS MVP Shell/User
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>
    >> "AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > this is an ongoing problem, it has lasted months, so i dont think the
    >> > registry backup will work.

    If you're giving this to someone else, presumably including the
    software, I'd recommend you reformat the entire thing and install fresh.

    --

    > also, it isnt the only computer i have. i am giving it to someone and
    > i am
    > trying to get it fixed.
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    >> You've been using a computer that won't boot to Normal Mode for
    >> months?
    >> Because that's the way I read your original post--that you can't get
    >> into Normal Mode Windows. The last backup of your Registry occurred
    >> the
    >> first time you booted to Normal Mode on the last day it booted to
    >> Normal
    >> Mode.
    >>
    >> Perhaps we understood you wrongly?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS MVP Shell/User
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>
    >> "AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > this is an ongoing problem, it has lasted months, so i dont think
    >> > the
    >> > registry backup will work.

    To add to Gary's recommendation of a fresh install, you need to be aware
    that just because a file has been deleted, there is fairly cheap software
    that will retrieve it. If it were me, I would format the partition, install
    W98 and all patches/software/drivers/etc. Then run defrag and once done,
    get a program like the one below which will overwrite all the free space and
    destroy remaining data:

    Eraser: http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ Freeware that overwrites the "blank"
    data on a
    hard drive.
    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    > Whenever i turn my computer on, it loads up normally, then before it gets
    > the name/password screen, the whole screen goes black and i have to
    restart.
    > I can get in thru safemode, but not in any other mode. I ran many virus
    > scans and spyware scans and thru msconfig i stopped anything from starting
    > upon windows startup. i use windows 98. please someone help.

    Run the Add New Hardware wizard in Control Panel.

    At the opportune moment, do not let Windows
    search for new hardware.

    Instead, choose the option to "select new hardware from a list".

    Change your Video Adapter to Standard VGA.

    Try to reboot into Normal Mode.

Windows