Win98 System having trouble with cd/rw

My win98 system has been running great for about 1 year. I have not installed
anything new in the last few months with the only new thing being the cd/rw
drive.

It has run fine since I installed it until about a week ago. Everything else
on the machine runs fine but when I recently I was trying to install a new
program and everything got crazy.

I was trying to install a copy of Front Page (office is already installed)
and when I put the cd in the drawer it close and spun up but nothing came up.
So I went to explore and clicked on the D drive icon and all the files showed
up allowing me to dbl click setup.

The install program came up fine and I chose to add the new program and it
gave me the choices on the cd so I chose FrontPage and then it started to
install the program and the progress bar came up.

That is when eveything stopped. It would not progress and the cd would spin
up then down then stop. In explore seveal D icons came up and everything
froze there.

Now it does that with everything I try to install. The cd/rw is fine because
I tested it on another system.

So to make a long question longer anyone have any ideas what may be
happening and how I can fix it.

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about win98 system trouble

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q237948
    Troubleshoot CD-R_W

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=218617
    Troubleshoot CD-ROM or DVD-ROM

    I guess, a first try would be...

    (1) Boot to Safe Mode. (Hold F5 as you boot, or hold CTRL for the
    Startup Menu, & select Safe Mode from that.)
    (2) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
    (3) Open the CD-ROM branch, by clicking it's plus sign.
    (4) Highlight each drive in that branch, & click "Remove".
    (Safe Mode may reveal the presence of a "ghost".)
    (5) Close up, & boot to Normal Mode.

    Hopefully Windows will find the correct drivers, & all will be well.

    As cquirke once said, "Control Panel, System, Performance tab". Are you
    in "compatibility" mode? Then, try his site...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/doscompat.htm

    Also...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;130179&Product=w98
    Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility Mode on Hard Disks
    (130179) - The Performance tab in System properties shows that one or
    more of the hard disks in your computer is using MS-DOS Compatibility
    mode. MS-DOS compatibility mode may be in use either for the file system
    or for virtual memory. You may receive the...

    Also...

    To see whether the CD-ROM is physically functioning, it can be run
    independently of Windows...

    Get a Startup Diskette from
    http://www.bootdisk.com/ , if you don't already have one from "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk tab". Test the Startup
    Diskette. Boot it, put in a CD and "DIR" the CD. It will say which
    letter is the CD. (Otherwise, it is likely one letter higher than
    normal.) That is, "DIR X:", where "X:" is the CD-ROM letter.

    If you cannot boot the Startup Diskette, you must be sent into BIOS. If
    the CD-ROM does work in DOS after the Diskette has boot, it is likely
    there is a problem with the Windows 32-bit drivers or settings.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Dig" <Dig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | My win98 system has been running great for about 1 year. I have not
    installed
    | anything new in the last few months with the only new thing being the
    cd/rw
    | drive.
    |
    | It has run fine since I installed it until about a week ago.
    Everything else
    | on the machine runs fine but when I recently I was trying to install a
    new
    | program and everything got crazy.
    |
    | I was trying to install a copy of Front Page (office is already
    installed)
    | and when I put the cd in the drawer it close and spun up but nothing
    came up.
    | So I went to explore and clicked on the D drive icon and all the files
    showed
    | up allowing me to dbl click setup.
    |
    | The install program came up fine and I chose to add the new program
    and it
    | gave me the choices on the cd so I chose FrontPage and then it started
    | install the program and the progress bar came up.
    |
    | That is when eveything stopped. It would not progress and the cd would
    spin
    | up then down then stop. In explore seveal D icons came up and
    everything
    | froze there.
    |
    | Now it does that with everything I try to install. The cd/rw is fine
    because
    | I tested it on another system.
    |
    | So to make a long question longer anyone have any ideas what may be
    | happening and how I can fix it.
    |
    | Thanks

    Try cleaning the drive with an inexpensive audio CD player cleaning disc.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Dig" <Dig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My win98 system has been running great for about 1 year. I have not installed
    > anything new in the last few months with the only new thing being the cd/rw
    > drive.
    >
    > It has run fine since I installed it until about a week ago. Everything else
    > on the machine runs fine but when I recently I was trying to install a new
    > program and everything got crazy.
    >
    > I was trying to install a copy of Front Page (office is already installed)
    > and when I put the cd in the drawer it close and spun up but nothing came up.
    > So I went to explore and clicked on the D drive icon and all the files showed
    > up allowing me to dbl click setup.
    >
    > The install program came up fine and I chose to add the new program and it
    > gave me the choices on the cd so I chose FrontPage and then it started to
    > install the program and the progress bar came up.
    >
    > That is when eveything stopped. It would not progress and the cd would spin
    > up then down then stop. In explore seveal D icons came up and everything
    > froze there.
    >
    > Now it does that with everything I try to install. The cd/rw is fine because
    > I tested it on another system.
    >
    > So to make a long question longer anyone have any ideas what may be
    > happening and how I can fix it.
    >
    > Thanks

CD-Rom Microsoft Windows