Sound Lost

I am using Windows98SE (fully updated/patched) also have installed Office
2000 Premium (fully updated/patched)

On occasion I lose the office sounds. I then go to
tools-options-other-advanced - and recheck the box {provide feedback with
sound] and all sounds work fine again.

Today after the first boot I again did not have any sound. Went thru the
above procedure but this time the "provide feedback with sound was already
checked. I unchecked the box, closed Outlook, opened Outlook and rechecked
the box without success.

I was able to play a CD

I went to the control panel and opened "sounds" and when trying to play the
highlighted sound I got a message the file may be corrupt..got this message
with all sounds tried.

My resolution was to restore yesterdays Registry.

What would have caused this scenario. All was working well last evening.

Thanks in advance

BL

If restoring a previous registry fixed the problem, then something changed
the registry to cause this problem. Did you add or remove anything -
hardware or software - just before this happened? If not, be sure to check
for Spyware, virus, etc.

Here's a good site for links to anti-parasite software:
http://www.aumha.org/secure.htm

PattyL

"MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am using Windows98SE (fully updated/patched) also have installed Office
> 2000 Premium (fully updated/patched)
>
> On occasion I lose the office sounds. I then go to
> tools-options-other-advanced - and recheck the box {provide feedback with
> sound] and all sounds work fine again.
>
> Today after the first boot I again did not have any sound. Went thru the
> above procedure but this time the "provide feedback with sound was already
> checked. I unchecked the box, closed Outlook, opened Outlook and rechecked
> the box without success.
>
> I was able to play a CD
>
> I went to the control panel and opened "sounds" and when trying to play
> the
> highlighted sound I got a message the file may be corrupt..got this
> message
> with all sounds tried.
>
> My resolution was to restore yesterdays Registry.
>
> What would have caused this scenario. All was working well last evening.
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> BL

Hi,
Did not change anything
Looked at the registry and there was one more byte difference from
yesterday. Always run Adaware and Spybot . Will run again.
PCRs references all relate to opening a power point file which I did not.
Oh, working now.
Thanks every one,
BL

"PattyL" wrote:

> If restoring a previous registry fixed the problem, then something changed
> the registry to cause this problem. Did you add or remove anything -
> hardware or software - just before this happened? If not, be sure to check
> for Spyware, virus, etc.
>
> Here's a good site for links to anti-parasite software:
> http://www.aumha.org/secure.htm
>
> PattyL
>

> "MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I am using Windows98SE (fully updated/patched) also have installed Office
> > 2000 Premium (fully updated/patched)
> >
> > On occasion I lose the office sounds. I then go to
> > tools-options-other-advanced - and recheck the box {provide feedback with
> > sound] and all sounds work fine again.
> >
> > Today after the first boot I again did not have any sound. Went thru the
> > above procedure but this time the "provide feedback with sound was already
> > checked. I unchecked the box, closed Outlook, opened Outlook and rechecked
> > the box without success.
> >
> > I was able to play a CD
> >
> > I went to the control panel and opened "sounds" and when trying to play
> > the
> > highlighted sound I got a message the file may be corrupt..got this
> > message
> > with all sounds tried.
> >
> > My resolution was to restore yesterdays Registry.
> >
> > What would have caused this scenario. All was working well last evening.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> > BL

http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139
Search "provide feedback with sound"; Office; This Product First; Full
Text; All Words; AnyTime; produces mainly these six...

• OFF97: Problems with "Provide Feedback with Sound" Option
(158747) - When you run the Sounds.exe program to install additional
sounds for Microsoft Office 97, the "Provide feedback with sound" option
is not selected in your Microsoft Office 97 programs. When you then
select the option, you may receive an error...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;158747

• OFF2000: Error Message Turning On "Provide Feedback with Sound" Option
(210397) - When you turn on the Provide feedback with sound option in
any of the programs listed in the "Applies to" section of this article,
the following error message may appear after you click OK in the Options
dialog box: Microsoft Office Sounds are not...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;210397

• OL2002: "Provide Feedback with Sound" Feature Unexpectedly Turns Off
(810212) - Under the following conditions, the "Provide Feedback with
Sound" feature is turned off: You install Office Sounds.You turn on the
"Provide Feedback with Sound" feature in Outlook 2002.You open a
PowerPoint presentation file (.ppt) in Microsoft...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810212

• OL2002: "Provide Feedback with Sound" Feature Is Turned Off After You
Open a PowerPoint Presentation in Internet Explorer
(810377) - The "Provide feedback with sound" feature in Outlook may turn
off unexpectedly. This problem may occur after you open a Microsoft
PowerPoint presentation in Microsoft Internet Explorer. To work around
this problem, turn on the "Provide feedback...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810377

• OFF97: Error Enabling Feedback with Sound Option
(159751) - When you turn on the "Provide feedback with sound" option in
any of the Microsoft Office programs, you may receive the following
error message after clicking OK in the Options dialog box: Microsoft
Office Sounds are not installed on your system....
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;159751

• OFF97: Sounds Not Supported on Windows NT 3.51
(157046) - When you run Sounds.exe to install Microsoft Office 97 sounds
from the ValuPack\Sounds folder, the following message appears: This
install program requires Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0 to run. Proceed
with the installation of Microsoft Office 97...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;157046

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I am using Windows98SE (fully updated/patched) also have installed
Office
| 2000 Premium (fully updated/patched)
|
| On occasion I lose the office sounds. I then go to
| tools-options-other-advanced - and recheck the box {provide feedback
with
| sound] and all sounds work fine again.
|
| Today after the first boot I again did not have any sound. Went thru
the
| above procedure but this time the "provide feedback with sound was
already
| checked. I unchecked the box, closed Outlook, opened Outlook and
rechecked
| the box without success.
|
| I was able to play a CD
|
| I went to the control panel and opened "sounds" and when trying to
play the
| highlighted sound I got a message the file may be corrupt..got this
message
| with all sounds tried.
|
| My resolution was to restore yesterdays Registry.
|
| What would have caused this scenario. All was working well last
evening.

| Thanks in advance
|

| BL

You are welcome. I am glad it is working now. I am not quite sure what
that article is saying. Is item 1 on the list sufficient to suffer the
problem? It also mentions Outlook 2002. ANYHOW, clearly there is a bug
involved. Perhaps un/re-install Office sounds, IF it can easily be done.
I wouldn't HABITUALLY restore an older Registry. It's OK in a crunch,
but some day you may regret it! No one-- not even Colorado-- has ever
compiled a list of entirely appropriate circumstances for use of a
/Restore!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810212
OL2002: "Provide Feedback with Sound" Feature Unexpectedly Turns Off
......Quote..........
SYMPTOMS
Under the following conditions, the "Provide Feedback with Sound"
feature is turned off:
1. You install Office Sounds.
2. You turn on the "Provide Feedback with Sound" feature in Outlook
2002.
3. You open a PowerPoint presentation file (.ppt) in Microsoft Internet
Explorer.

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft products
that are listed at the beginning of this article.

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Outlook 2002 Standard Edition
• Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 Standard Edition
......EOQ.............

--
"medrxman" <medrxman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
| Did not change anything
| Looked at the registry and there was one more byte difference from
| yesterday. Always run Adaware and Spybot . Will run again.
| PCRs references all relate to opening a power point file which I did
not.
| Oh, working now.
| Thanks every one,
| BL
|
| "PattyL" wrote:
|
| > If restoring a previous registry fixed the problem, then something
changed
| > the registry to cause this problem. Did you add or remove
anything -
| > hardware or software - just before this happened? If not, be sure t
o check
| > for Spyware, virus, etc.
| >
| > Here's a good site for links to anti-parasite software:
| > http://www.aumha.org/secure.htm
| >
| > PattyL
| >

| > "MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > >I am using Windows98SE (fully updated/patched) also have installed
Office
| > > 2000 Premium (fully updated/patched)
| > >
| > > On occasion I lose the office sounds. I then go to
| > > tools-options-other-advanced - and recheck the box {provide
feedback with
| > > sound] and all sounds work fine again.
| > >
| > > Today after the first boot I again did not have any sound. Went
thru the
| > > above procedure but this time the "provide feedback with sound was
already
| > > checked. I unchecked the box, closed Outlook, opened Outlook and
rechecked
| > > the box without success.
| > >
| > > I was able to play a CD
| > >
| > > I went to the control panel and opened "sounds" and when trying to
play
| > > the
| > > highlighted sound I got a message the file may be corrupt..got
this
| > > message
| > > with all sounds tried.
| > >
| > > My resolution was to restore yesterdays Registry.
| > >
| > > What would have caused this scenario. All was working well last
evening.

| > > Thanks in advance
| > >

| > > BL

I do follow your suggestion about registry restores. However, many times if
I were to install a new program, I would back up the registry first then if
I decided to remove the program after a day or so I would restore the
registry with the backup provided nothing else was added ( such as
Windows/office updates).

Thinking back to the evening before I had the sound issue. I unplugged a USB
thumb drive and got a blue screen error. Perhaps that issue changed
something in the registry.

In any event after everyone's help with my recent fresh install of
Windows98SE I do have incremental images
on CD in the event of a catastrophe.

You guys are the greatest. Very comforting to ask a question and get good
advise.

Again Thanks

BL
> [...]
> | Hi,
> | Did not change anything
> | Looked at the registry and there was one more byte difference from
> | yesterday. Always run Adaware and Spybot . Will run again.
> | PCRs references all relate to opening a power point file which I did
> not.
> | Oh, working now.
> | Thanks every one,
> | BL
> |
> | "PattyL" wrote:
> |
> | > If restoring a previous registry fixed the problem, then something
> changed
> | > the registry to cause this problem. Did you add or remove
> anything -
> | > hardware or software - just before this happened? If not, be sure t
> o check
> | > for Spyware, virus, etc.
> | >
> | > Here's a good site for links to anti-parasite software:

Sounds like you know what you're doing, then, & I'm sure you mean "added
OR removed". One caveat is that some apps will do a stealth update
now/then. I know for sure NetZero does! Maybe run an SFC before doing
the /Restore to be sure there was no such activity...

"START button, Run, SFC"

However, this tool needs a priming, which basically means to accept all
current changes. The "Settings", especially "Search Criteria", may need
adjusting. You may look through the log, C:\Windows\SFCLOG.TXT, to see
what it's done. Also, there is a certain amount of confusion involved
with it, under the best of circumstances. For one thing, certain files
will always seem to have changed. For another, it does not well handle
version numbers greater than 11 characters.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=185836 System File Checker
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188186 SFC baseline
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192832 SFC extracts wrong file
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=180465 Error Message: The File Was
Not Found. Verify That You Have Selected the Correct 'Restore from'
Location and Try Again
http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm SFC use & problems
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/using_sfc.html SFC use & problems

| got a blue screen error

Yea. Perhaps this prevented some housekeeping Windows does at a normal
shutdown or something, somehow triggering the same flaw in Office that
PowerPoint would or something.

| I do have incremental images
| on CD in the event of a catastrophe.

Great! But I don't like that word "incremental". Surely you are not
using MSBackup??!!

--
> [...]
| > Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft products
| > that are listed at the beginning of this article.
| >
| > APPLIES TO
| > . Microsoft Outlook 2002 Standard Edition
| > . Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 Standard Edition
| > .....EOQ.............
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "medrxman" <medrxman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Hi,
| > | Did not change anything
| > | Looked at the registry and there was one more byte difference from
| > | yesterday. Always run Adaware and Spybot . Will run again.
| > | PCRs references all relate to opening a power point file which I
| > |
| > | "PattyL" wrote:
| > |
| > changed
| > anything -
| > o check

| > Office

| > feedback with

Went
| > thru the
| > already
| > rechecked

| > play
| > this

| > evening.

> Great! But I don't like that word "incremental". Surely you are not
> using MSBackup??!!
CD images with Drive Image. MS Backup doesn't make images. Incremental in
this scenario was after Windows98SE was installed and updated and before
adding any programs at all, I made an Image.

Then added about half my programs and made another CD Image, etc.

At least if I ever have to start fresh again, I have my own system recovery
discs(IMAGES)

| > Great! But I don't like that word "incremental". Surely you are not
| > using MSBackup??!!
| CD images with Drive Image. MS Backup doesn't make images. Incremental
in
| this scenario was after Windows98SE was installed and updated and
before
| adding any programs at all, I made an Image.
|
| Then added about half my programs and made another CD Image, etc.
|
| At least if I ever have to start fresh again, I have my own system
recovery
| discs(IMAGES)

Yea, that's good. That's the best you can do. If the machine survives
(motherboard doesn't blow, etc.), your software survives.

....snip