I/O Port conflict

When I boot up Win 98 II get a message "Conflict I/O ports:378." I
says press F1 it then continues to boot. How do I correct the
conflict and have it boot normally?
Thanks John
5 answers Last reply
More about port conflict

    I cchecked the device manager and found the conflict is between the
    printer port (which doesn't have a printer installed on the machine)
    and the Yamaha Sound System.

    Interrupt rquest 07
    I/O Output range 378-037F

    Interrupt request 07 Used by Yamaha Sound System

    I/O Output Range 0378-037F used by Printer Port LPT 1

    Again there is no printer installed on this machine.

    Does this help and how do I solve the conflict. I am able to do some
    cleanup but ams bit of a novice when it come to these problems.

    Thank you

    Check the documentation on the Yamaha Sound System. You should be able to
    configure it to use an IRQ and I/) that is different from that used by the
    parallel port. Whether you have a printer or not, you still have the port
    on your system. If the Yamaha sound system is onboard or on a PCI card,
    then it can share an IRQ with another PCI device.

    Another option might be to disable the LPT port in the BIOS. The ability to
    do that will depend on your BIOS.

    Some BIOS will give you the option of setting any IRQ as a legacy device.
    If you have this option, set IRQ7 as legacy. This should force the Yamaha
    to take another IRQ during the boot process if it's setup for automatic
    configuration.

    PattyL

    > When I boot up Win 98 II get a message "Conflict I/O ports:378." I
    > says press F1 it then continues to boot. How do I correct the
    > conflict and have it boot normally?
    > Thanks John

    I think that you will definitely find your answer here, probably on the
    first site. I wish you well.

    http://tinyurl.com/7lwv7

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:28:11 -0400, blarney@optonline.net wrote:

    >I cchecked the device manager and found the conflict is between the
    >printer port (which doesn't have a printer installed on the machine)
    >and the Yamaha Sound System.

    >Interrupt rquest 07
    >I/O Output range 378-037F

    >Interrupt request 07 Used by Yamaha Sound System

    >I/O Output Range 0378-037F used by Printer Port LPT 1

    >Again there is no printer installed on this machine.

    In Device Manager, highlight the printer port, go Properties, and
    "[x] disable in this profile". That's the preferred way to get
    Windows to ignore a device you don't want to use - if you "delete" the
    device, Plug-n-Play will just discover it again.

    Often, you can also disable the device in CMOS Setup.

    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    Our senses are our UI to reality

    Which doesn't necessarily mean that Windows won't detect it, <eg>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote
    in message news:7qg2f1ho4plhoejn9bjellqhbhkb3qsjd6@4ax.com...

    > Often, you can also disable the device in CMOS Setup.

Boot Microsoft Windows