ligitimate argument. These cases are all about who has the better legal

counsel, and i can imagine the lawyers that Intel can afford. I think if

AMD was in the same position as Intel, with the same resources, they

quite likely would have done the same thing.....Hey, they're in the business

to make money, not friends.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
stop being children.... some people might actually want to know something about this..... Ycon... if you have nothing to add, then don't post anything. 1Tanker, did you even read the article? They said "Intel filed a motion on Wednesday asking a federal-court judge to dismiss portions of an antitrust lawsuit brought by its archrival, Advanced Micro Devices." I highlighted, italiced and underlined the key word for you. It doesn't really matter if Intel wins or loses.... they are not going any where..... so everyone stop getting so defensive about this stupid case, it's not like YOU own the company.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
stop being children.... some people might actually want to know something about this..... Ycon... if you have nothing to add, then don't post anything. 1Tanker, did you even read the article? They said "Intel filed a motion on Wednesday asking a federal-court judge to dismiss portions of an antitrust lawsuit brought by its archrival, Advanced Micro Devices." I highlighted, italiced and underlined the key word for you. It doesn't really matter if Intel wins or loses.... they are not going any where..... so everyone stop getting so defensive about this stupid case, it's not like YOU own the company.

I wasn't being defensive, i just think they're smart for bringing up the

jurisdictional arguement. Things like that can turn the outcome of a case

around fairly quickly.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Why does AMD keeps suing Intel, what they want? Money? Maybe Intel is bribing the judge with millions of dollars to drop it like it's hot. Oh well, these days we to be careful otherwise be sued for money. Why can't they just get along like friends and drink a cup of coffee.

CS986

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Good...I hope the judge does toss the case. Intel "HAS" come up with a

ligitimate argument. These cases are all about who has the better legal

counsel, and i can imagine the lawyers that Intel can afford. I think if

AMD was in the same position as Intel, with the same resources, they

quite likely would have done the same thing.....Hey, they're in the business

to make money, not friends.

Somehow i don't think the in house lawyers in either camp are better or worse than the other...coming up with tiny little details to slip through the cracks in the legal system is pretty much standard issue.

Just because Intel has an argument doesnt mean they will win it.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
AMD case is most likely a joke. Now that their business has swung back and AMD is doing well, they should quit whining and drop it. If it was a publicity ploy, it worked..

Read the full story here:
News.com

This is nothing more than Intel posturing and par-for-the course legal procedure...nothing more, don't read to much else into it.

This lawsuit is not silly or stupid, Intel deserved it, not for nothing, but both Dell and Gateway were selling desktops with AMD procs and then the next year, they were not. As soon as I heard that I knew that Intel used there size and influence to have makers and resellers favor them over AMD. Comptetition is what the consumer benefits from. A little legal tussle every now and then can be healthy for the industry. Partially due to the lawsuit Intel actually has to produce something new to keep themselves in the forefront, i.e. Conroe/Core architecture/ViiV, etc...

Keyboard and cookie jokes aside, the all caps subject line is a bit much...

hey 9-inch didnt you hear - your turion x2 got delayed, but you didnt post that did you?

why do i get the feeling 9-inch is just another poster AMD fanboy using the 9-inch account just to post BS?

Read the full story here:
News.com

And your Intel avatar doesn't give the feeling that you're just another Intel fanboy waiting for pro AMD posts so you can dis them?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
The whole '10 way skype conference calling ONLY on intels' proves to me that AMD have SOME sort of case
Intel has influence, but what Intel did there was perfectly legal. That's just like Pepsi selling Pepsi only at taco-bell and Coke selling Coke only as Mcdonald's.

The whole '10 way skype conference calling ONLY on intels' proves to me that AMD have SOME sort of case
Intel has influence, but what Intel did there was perfectly legal. That's just like Pepsi selling Pepsi only at taco-bell and Coke selling Coke only as Mcdonald's.

Bad analogy because Taco Bell is owned by PepsiCo...what Intel did is on the fringes of legality and certainly deserving of scrutiny...Dell, Gateway, and the other resellers are not subsidiaries of Intel, they are business partners, Intel is being sued for anti-trust infringement due to them using their influence to steer and control the market...

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

Bad analogy because Taco Bell is owned by PepsiCo...what Intel did was on the fringes of legality but certainly deserving of anti-trust scrutiny...Dell, Gateway, and the other resellers are not subsidiaries of Intel, they are business partners, Intel is being sued over anti-trust infringement and using their influence to steer and control the market...
They have just as much power to buy AMD as they do Intel. Many of them choose Intel because Intel can produce motherboards, chipsets and still provide plenty of chips. AMD has production problems that Intel does not, therefore it would be impossible for AMD to be the primary supplier for all of the above. Also, AMD did this in the heat of last year when they were doing poorly. Let's all take notice that AMD has stopped making a big deal of it now that they are up 70%. Publicity ploy? Maybe. Wishful thinking? Definately.

Bad analogy because Taco Bell is owned by PepsiCo...what Intel did was on the fringes of legality but certainly deserving of anti-trust scrutiny...Dell, Gateway, and the other resellers are not subsidiaries of Intel, they are business partners, Intel is being sued over anti-trust infringement and using their influence to steer and control the market...
They have just as much power to buy AMD as they do Intel. Many of them choose Intel because Intel can produce motherboards, chipsets and still provide plenty of chips. AMD has production problems that Intel does not, therefore it would be impossible for AMD to be the primary supplier for all of the above. Also, AMD did this in the heat of last year when they were doing poorly. Let's all take notice that AMD has stopped making a big deal of it now that they are up 70%. Publicity ploy? Maybe. Wishful thinking? Definately.

Blah, blah, blah, all I read is the apologetic ranting of an Intel fanboy. You are niave if you really believe that Dell, Gateway, and many other reseller casually chose Intel over AMD because "Intel is better".

You also missed the point entirely and apparently do not have any understanding of the basis of the lawsuit; briefly:
Advanced Micro Devices has filed a wide-ranging antitrust suit against Intel, accusing it of maintaining its monopoly in the PC processor market by illegally coercing customers around the world into using its products...38 companies on three continents that were allegedly coerced by Intel, including large-scale computer makers, small system builders, wholesale distributors, and retailers...The 48-page complaint alleges that Intel used illegal subsidies to win sales, and in some cases threatened companies with "severe consequences" for using or selling AMD products...Intel has also been investigated by U.S. antitrust regulators, although the charges were different in nature. The U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) filed suit against the chip maker in 1998, accusing it of using its market dominance to coerce trade secrets from some of its customers
Read for yourself one of the hundreds of articles found with a simple Google search regarding the lawsuit.

I have yet to read any replies from Intel that provide irrefutable evidence that they did not engage in anti-trust activities. So, as wrong as Intel allegedly is, with enough money and lawyers, they'll probably get away with it; but not without a tarnished business reputation and de-limited market share.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
chunkymonster said:
ak47is1337 said:
chunkymonster said:
Intel has influence, but what Intel did there was perfectly legal.

Blah, blah, blah, all I read is the apologetic ranting of an Intel fanboy. You are niave if you really believe that Dell, Gateway, and many other reseller casually chose Intel over AMD because "Intel is better".

There's alot of naivety in here. I work for a major seat supplier for

General Motors. They are always hounding us about quality, "BUT", they

will "threaten" to take their business elsewhere if we don't cut the price

of a pair of seats by 5%. Now, do you really think that companies only

use products that are "better". Money man, Money.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
And really..... it's not the fact that Gateway and Dell, sell Intel products.... it is that FACT that they would sell ONLY Intel products..... come on, what would stop them from selling AMD..... they wouldn't have lost money, they only stood to gain money if they sold AMD. I mean come on, they were trying to market machines as gamings machines that could have been solidly outperformed by a midrange AMD machine.... they knew that, they just didn't want to forfeit the dirt cheap Intel chips they were getting.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
The Master..... If you don't have anything productive to add, don't waste our time..... we all know what the keyboard and slinky look like, don't need to see it again just because you need AM to argue for you..... why don't you edit that post and just say why you think Dell and Gateway aren't being strong armed by Intel.