Windows 98 system cannot connect to remote computer

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 3, 2005 9:16:04 AM

,Hello,

I have a coworker with a computer that has Windows 98 Second Edition, who's
trying to use Remote Desktop to connect to one of our servers. However, the
Remote Desktop keeps timing out. Since Windows 98 doesn't come with Remote
Desktop, I downloaded the Remote Desktop application from the Microsoft
website (msrdpcli.exe), and installed it on the computer in question. My
coworker connects to the Internet at their home, using a dial-up connection.
Once a connection has been established and confirmed, my coworker then
launches the Remote Desktop application, and tries to connect to our Terminal
Services server. However, they keep getting a message saying that the
connection has timed out, and to please try connecting again. My coworker
has tried several times to connect to the server, without success. According
to the information I've gathered, they are connecting to the correct server,
and all of their settings for Remote Desktop are correct. They are set up on
our end as an authorized user.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem? I'm at a loss as to
what's causing this.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 12:27:03 PM

"mmbflyr1" <mmbflyr1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have a coworker with a computer that has Windows 98 Second Edition,
who's
> trying to use Remote Desktop to connect to one of our servers. However,
the
> Remote Desktop keeps timing out. Since Windows 98 doesn't come with
Remote
> Desktop, I downloaded the Remote Desktop application from the Microsoft
> website (msrdpcli.exe), and installed it on the computer in question.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;895433
says
The client computer must be running Microsoft Windows 2000 or Microsoft
Windows XP.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

According to this:

Windows XP Remote Desktop Connection software [XPSP2 5.1.2600.2180]

the client works on 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT40, NT2000 & NT2003.

PattyL

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> "mmbflyr1" <mmbflyr1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> I have a coworker with a computer that has Windows 98 Second Edition,
> who's
>> trying to use Remote Desktop to connect to one of our servers. However,
> the
>> Remote Desktop keeps timing out. Since Windows 98 doesn't come with
> Remote
>> Desktop, I downloaded the Remote Desktop application from the Microsoft
>> website (msrdpcli.exe), and installed it on the computer in question.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;895433
> says
> The client computer must be running Microsoft Windows 2000 or Microsoft
> Windows XP.
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 11:36:49 AM

Has anyone else tried this to verify that it works for someone? If anyone
attempting to connect gets the same message, then I'd suspect settings on
the server, firewall settings, etc.

If it works for someone else, then I'd start checking settings on the client
system, clean boot, disable the firewall (for testing), check for parasites,
etc. See this page for links to free anti-parasite software.

http://aumha.org/secure.htm

PattyL