cool n quiet?

falloutman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
I'm going to do my very first OC on my 3200+ from 2.0ghz to 2.2ghz. I was curious if the cool n qiuet program will still work, i.e. idle at 1ghz adn go up to 2.2ghz when it needs it. thanks.

Straterra

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
It will still work, but it will be proportional since C&Q just changes the CPU multiplier. This simply means it won't be 1Ghz anymore, but something like 1.1GHz

Brotakul

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
don't use Cool and Quiet when overclocking. system can crash, become unstable... google-it if you want, you'll find out i'm right ;)

Brotakul

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
it's normal. cool and quiet underclocks your processor [low multi and low voltage.] imagine what a low voltage can make to a oc'ed CPU. it will shurely crash. so that's why you should never use C'n'Q along with OC.

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Bah, I've never had any problems. Some people have said some games don't like cool'n'quiet even when at stock.

One thing I would say - cool'n'quiet stuffs up benchmarking programs because there's a delay before cool'n'quiet reverts back to normal clock.

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Well, theoretically it shouldn't be a problem but some people do report C'n'Q to dramatically change their results. Maybe because C'n'Q isn't given a chance to deactivate for the test

Brotakul

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
change the power management from minimal power consumption [C'n'Q enabled] to Home/Office Desk[C'n'Q disabled] directly from windows.

falloutman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
my 3200+ is at 2.5ghz now with C n' Q enabled. I havent messed with voltage and I dont plan on it either. At 2.5ghz with teh 10x multiplier, I havent lost any ram or HTT speed :lol: so im very happy with my OC. Next may be 3.0ghz.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
there's a delay before cool'n'quiet reverts back to normal clock.
C'n'Q changes the frequency of the CPU up to 60 times per second. maybe there is a delay, but you won't sence it

nah, cool and quiet screwed up my superPI results, 1M in over 40seconds, i unistalled it then ran the PI test again 1M in 33secs.

falloutman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
I tihnk i know why C'n'Q cuases unstability. When it goes into the rest mode, the defult voltage is 1.04. So, if I had my cpu at 3.0ghz, it would rest at 1.5ghz. That 1.04 volts may not be enough to stabily run a system clocked at 1.5ghz in rest mode. maybe thats why it causes system instability.

Depends on the board. My ABIT KN8-SLi will *not* let Cool 'n Quiet work if there is a user-defined CPU speed- only the stock settings will allow C&Q to work. I think this is for safety and predictability. My 4200+ has stock multipliers of 5, 9, 10, and 11 and C&Q will switch the mult. and the voltages according to a pre-defined setting for the chip. Now if you drop a multiplier to use faster RAM or a memory divider, then C&Q might take that 2.5 GHz at 250x10 on up to 2.75 GHz at 11x. That would probably cause your CPU to lock up, and also the lower multipliers might not have enough voltage at a higher LDT if they simply follow a static table of mult -> volts.

Anyway, if you OC, you probably don't care about the few extra watts of power drawn at a 2.x GHz idle than a 1GHz one, and you are also probably prepared to deal with a lot of heat to be given off by the CPU anyway.

Brotakul

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
you don't need a user-defined CPU speed. you can always disable C'n'Q from the BIOS. i use C'n'Q only when i leave the PC running all night and there is no app to stress the CPU. and i simply switch between C'n'Q mode and standard[default] CPU speed changing the power managenent within windows.

ps: C'n'Q only works with "minimal power management". if you switch to home/office desk, C'n'Q will be automaticaly disabled.

Yes, you can certainly turn C&Q off and not overclock the CPU- just set C&Q from "Auto" to "Disable." What I was saying is that, at least on my board, I cannot overclock and have C&Q on.

I don't run Windows, Linux's powernow-k8 program controls the CPU frequency scaling on my X2. I can manually lock it at each one of the speeds (1, 1.8, 2.0, and 2.2 GHz) and adjust hysteresis, min/max levels, poll frequency, etc. ad nauseum. I believe that there are third-party tools to do this with Windows- I used Speedswitch XP on my old P4-M notebook before I started to use Linux. But there are governors similar to the Windows power management ones:

Peformance (full speed all the time) -> Home/Office Desk
Ondemand (scales) -> Laptop plugged in
Powersave (low speed all the time) -> Max battery or Laptop when unplugged

...as well as a few that are not present in Windows, such as the conservative governor that scales like the ondemand one, but bumps the frequency up slower and pushes it down faster than ondemand does.

Brotakul

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Mu Engineer: overclock from windows for amd64: clockgen. but i don't recommend any of these utilities. the pc may get instable, crashes, restarts, hangs. OC from bios is the only way. the best way.

I never have done nor will do anything to the BIOS from within a running OS. There's just too much that can go wrong and be only recoverable by flashing the BIOS's EEPROM chip with an expensive external flasher or sending it back to the mfr.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Personally Id Turn It Off Because There Have Been Reports Of Cool And Quitet Causing The CPU To Throttle Incorrectly (Unless That Has Been Fixed Or I Heard Wrong)