Opening JPG files

Awhile back, I had a few rolls of film developed and had the results put on
Kodak Picture CDs. I downloaded the Kodak Easy Share software from one of
the CDs so I could e-mail and otherwise manipulate the pics.

Since that time, JPG and JPEG files I have that have been saved from e-mails
and web pages are shown in the Properties as EasyShare JPG (or JPEG) file
types and thus are opened in the Easy Share program rather than in the
regular Explorer window.

Am I stuck with this or is there a way that only the pictures from the CDs
are opened by Easy Share and the others by the regular Explorer? If there
is, the fix would probably need to be pretty straightforward, given my very
limited computer skills.
5 answers Last reply
More about opening files

    "Marty" <Mart915@REEMOOVEfrontiernet.net> wrote:

    >Awhile back, I had a few rolls of film developed and had the results put on
    >Kodak Picture CDs. I downloaded the Kodak Easy Share software from one of
    >the CDs so I could e-mail and otherwise manipulate the pics.
    >
    >Since that time, JPG and JPEG files I have that have been saved from e-mails
    >and web pages are shown in the Properties as EasyShare JPG (or JPEG) file
    >types and thus are opened in the Easy Share program rather than in the
    >regular Explorer window.
    >
    >Am I stuck with this or is there a way that only the pictures from the CDs
    >are opened by Easy Share and the others by the regular Explorer? If there
    >is, the fix would probably need to be pretty straightforward, given my very
    >limited computer skills.

    File associations are by type, that is, by extension. Whatever program
    is associated with JPG files will open *all* *.jpg files (when you
    double-click them, you can always open them from any program using
    File|Open). There's no way to tell Windows to open some *.jpg files
    with one program and others with another program.

    I know nothing about the EasyShare program, but I agree with the other
    that IrfanView is an absolutely outstanding image viewer, far better
    for this purpose than IE.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    Marty wrote:
    > Awhile back, I had a few rolls of film developed and had the results put on
    > Kodak Picture CDs. I downloaded the Kodak Easy Share software from one of
    > the CDs so I could e-mail and otherwise manipulate the pics.
    >
    > Since that time, JPG and JPEG files I have that have been saved from e-mails
    > and web pages are shown in the Properties as EasyShare JPG (or JPEG) file
    > types and thus are opened in the Easy Share program rather than in the
    > regular Explorer window.
    >
    > Am I stuck with this or is there a way that only the pictures from the CDs
    > are opened by Easy Share and the others by the regular Explorer? If there
    > is, the fix would probably need to be pretty straightforward, given my very
    > limited computer skills.

    Try IrfanView (www.irfanview.com). You can view nearly every known type
    of graphics file with it - certainly .jpg & .jpeg.

    It's one the best free programs for *anything*.

    --
    Regards

    Nigel Stapley

    www.judgemental.plus.com

    <reply-to will bounce>

    "Nigel Stapley" <unet@judgemental.plus.com> wrote in message

    > Try IrfanView (www.irfanview.com). You can view nearly every known type
    > of graphics file with it - certainly .jpg & .jpeg.
    > It's one the best free programs for *anything*.

    1. Seconded.
    2. File association is explained via
    / start / help / index
    enter ASSOC
    select ASSOCIATING FILE TYPES WITH PROGRAMS

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Acdsee is also another very good program to use, I believe
    it is free from www.oldversion.com .
    You will find many free programs here including irfanview.

    ...Rex..

    "Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
    > "Marty" <Mart915@REEMOOVEfrontiernet.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Awhile back, I had a few rolls of film developed and had the results put
    on
    > >Kodak Picture CDs. I downloaded the Kodak Easy Share software from one of
    > >the CDs so I could e-mail and otherwise manipulate the pics.
    > >
    > >Since that time, JPG and JPEG files I have that have been saved from
    e-mails
    > >and web pages are shown in the Properties as EasyShare JPG (or JPEG) file
    > >types and thus are opened in the Easy Share program rather than in the
    > >regular Explorer window.
    > >
    > >Am I stuck with this or is there a way that only the pictures from the
    CDs
    > >are opened by Easy Share and the others by the regular Explorer? If there
    > >is, the fix would probably need to be pretty straightforward, given my
    very
    > >limited computer skills.
    >
    > File associations are by type, that is, by extension. Whatever program
    > is associated with JPG files will open *all* *.jpg files (when you
    > double-click them, you can always open them from any program using
    > File|Open). There's no way to tell Windows to open some *.jpg files
    > with one program and others with another program.
    >
    > I know nothing about the EasyShare program, but I agree with the other
    > that IrfanView is an absolutely outstanding image viewer, far better
    > for this purpose than IE.
    >
    > --
    > Tim Slattery
    > MS MVP(DTS)
    > Slattery_T@bls.gov

    Thanks to all for the responses. I now have a better understanding of this
    situation.

    "Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
    > "Marty" <Mart915@REEMOOVEfrontiernet.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Awhile back, I had a few rolls of film developed and had the results put
    on
    > >Kodak Picture CDs. I downloaded the Kodak Easy Share software from one of
    > >the CDs so I could e-mail and otherwise manipulate the pics.
    > >
    > >Since that time, JPG and JPEG files I have that have been saved from
    e-mails
    > >and web pages are shown in the Properties as EasyShare JPG (or JPEG) file
    > >types and thus are opened in the Easy Share program rather than in the
    > >regular Explorer window.
    > >
    > >Am I stuck with this or is there a way that only the pictures from the
    CDs
    > >are opened by Easy Share and the others by the regular Explorer? If there
    > >is, the fix would probably need to be pretty straightforward, given my
    very
    > >limited computer skills.
    >
    > File associations are by type, that is, by extension. Whatever program
    > is associated with JPG files will open *all* *.jpg files (when you
    > double-click them, you can always open them from any program using
    > File|Open). There's no way to tell Windows to open some *.jpg files
    > with one program and others with another program.
    >
    > I know nothing about the EasyShare program, but I agree with the other
    > that IrfanView is an absolutely outstanding image viewer, far better
    > for this purpose than IE.
    >
    > --
    > Tim Slattery
    > MS MVP(DTS)