Opening JPG files

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
August 3, 2005 6:05:23 PM

Awhile back, I had a few rolls of film developed and had the results put on
Kodak Picture CDs. I downloaded the Kodak Easy Share software from one of
the CDs so I could e-mail and otherwise manipulate the pics.

Since that time, JPG and JPEG files I have that have been saved from e-mails
and web pages are shown in the Properties as EasyShare JPG (or JPEG) file
types and thus are opened in the Easy Share program rather than in the
regular Explorer window.

Am I stuck with this or is there a way that only the pictures from the CDs
are opened by Easy Share and the others by the regular Explorer? If there
is, the fix would probably need to be pretty straightforward, given my very
limited computer skills.

More about : opening jpg files

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:09:40 PM

"Marty" <Mart915@REEMOOVEfrontiernet.net> wrote:

>Awhile back, I had a few rolls of film developed and had the results put on
>Kodak Picture CDs. I downloaded the Kodak Easy Share software from one of
>the CDs so I could e-mail and otherwise manipulate the pics.
>
>Since that time, JPG and JPEG files I have that have been saved from e-mails
>and web pages are shown in the Properties as EasyShare JPG (or JPEG) file
>types and thus are opened in the Easy Share program rather than in the
>regular Explorer window.
>
>Am I stuck with this or is there a way that only the pictures from the CDs
>are opened by Easy Share and the others by the regular Explorer? If there
>is, the fix would probably need to be pretty straightforward, given my very
>limited computer skills.

File associations are by type, that is, by extension. Whatever program
is associated with JPG files will open *all* *.jpg files (when you
double-click them, you can always open them from any program using
File|Open). There's no way to tell Windows to open some *.jpg files
with one program and others with another program.

I know nothing about the EasyShare program, but I agree with the other
that IrfanView is an absolutely outstanding image viewer, far better
for this purpose than IE.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Marty wrote:
> Awhile back, I had a few rolls of film developed and had the results put on
> Kodak Picture CDs. I downloaded the Kodak Easy Share software from one of
> the CDs so I could e-mail and otherwise manipulate the pics.
>
> Since that time, JPG and JPEG files I have that have been saved from e-mails
> and web pages are shown in the Properties as EasyShare JPG (or JPEG) file
> types and thus are opened in the Easy Share program rather than in the
> regular Explorer window.
>
> Am I stuck with this or is there a way that only the pictures from the CDs
> are opened by Easy Share and the others by the regular Explorer? If there
> is, the fix would probably need to be pretty straightforward, given my very
> limited computer skills.

Try IrfanView (www.irfanview.com). You can view nearly every known type
of graphics file with it - certainly .jpg & .jpeg.

It's one the best free programs for *anything*.

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>
August 4, 2005 12:03:16 AM

"Nigel Stapley" <unet@judgemental.plus.com> wrote in message

> Try IrfanView (www.irfanview.com). You can view nearly every known type
> of graphics file with it - certainly .jpg & .jpeg.
> It's one the best free programs for *anything*.

1. Seconded.
2. File association is explained via
/ start / help / index
enter ASSOC
select ASSOCIATING FILE TYPES WITH PROGRAMS

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Acdsee is also another very good program to use, I believe
it is free from www.oldversion.com .
You will find many free programs here including irfanview.

...Rex..

"Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
> "Marty" <Mart915@REEMOOVEfrontiernet.net> wrote:
>
> >Awhile back, I had a few rolls of film developed and had the results put
on
> >Kodak Picture CDs. I downloaded the Kodak Easy Share software from one of
> >the CDs so I could e-mail and otherwise manipulate the pics.
> >
> >Since that time, JPG and JPEG files I have that have been saved from
e-mails
> >and web pages are shown in the Properties as EasyShare JPG (or JPEG) file
> >types and thus are opened in the Easy Share program rather than in the
> >regular Explorer window.
> >
> >Am I stuck with this or is there a way that only the pictures from the
CDs
> >are opened by Easy Share and the others by the regular Explorer? If there
> >is, the fix would probably need to be pretty straightforward, given my
very
> >limited computer skills.
>
> File associations are by type, that is, by extension. Whatever program
> is associated with JPG files will open *all* *.jpg files (when you
> double-click them, you can always open them from any program using
> File|Open). There's no way to tell Windows to open some *.jpg files
> with one program and others with another program.
>
> I know nothing about the EasyShare program, but I agree with the other
> that IrfanView is an absolutely outstanding image viewer, far better
> for this purpose than IE.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov
August 4, 2005 5:25:36 PM

Thanks to all for the responses. I now have a better understanding of this
situation.

!