ARGH! Can't install font

Trying to install fonts in Windows 98, but I have no "Install Font" option
under the File menu (as is instructed in Windows Help). Dragging/Dropping
files into the Font folder doesn't work either.

I went to the MS Knowledge Base website, which said to extract a new
fontext.dll file. I followed the instructions, but no change. The website
then said to extract a new desktop.ini file, which I also did, per
instructions. No change.

I've installed plenty of fonts quite easily on other systems -- why is this
so hard?? I'm a graphic designer: I need these fonts!!
32 answers Last reply
More about argh install font

    Open a DOS prompt. Type in the following commands:

    attrib +s c:\windows\fonts
    exit

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "dinana" <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Trying to install fonts in Windows 98, but I have no "Install Font"
    > option
    > under the File menu (as is instructed in Windows Help).
    > Dragging/Dropping
    > files into the Font folder doesn't work either.
    >
    > I went to the MS Knowledge Base website, which said to extract a new
    > fontext.dll file. I followed the instructions, but no change. The
    > website
    > then said to extract a new desktop.ini file, which I also did, per
    > instructions. No change.
    >
    > I've installed plenty of fonts quite easily on other systems -- why is
    > this
    > so hard?? I'm a graphic designer: I need these fonts!!

    In DOS, from "c:\windows\fonts"

    I typed: "attrib +s" A line appeared saying:

    "Not resetting hidden file C:\windows\fonts\VGA850.FON
    Sharing violation reading drive C
    Abort, Retry, Fail?"

    Your Fonts folder has lost it's System attribute. So...

    "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt".
    ATTRIB C:\Windows\Fonts +S +R

    C:\>attrib c:\Windows\Fonts
    S R FONTS c:\Windows\FONTS

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "dinana" <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Trying to install fonts in Windows 98, but I have no "Install Font"
    option
    | under the File menu (as is instructed in Windows Help).
    Dragging/Dropping
    | files into the Font folder doesn't work either.
    |
    | I went to the MS Knowledge Base website, which said to extract a new
    | fontext.dll file. I followed the instructions, but no change. The
    website
    | then said to extract a new desktop.ini file, which I also did, per
    | instructions. No change.
    |
    | I've installed plenty of fonts quite easily on other systems -- why is
    this
    | so hard?? I'm a graphic designer: I need these fonts!!

    I tried both sets of commands from the above posts, and all variations
    thereof. Still no change.

    That's not a proper command. You must specify the folder for which the
    attribute is being changed, not just run a half-formed attrib command
    from within the folder.

    From any DOS prompt:

    attrib +s c:\windows\fonts

    Or:

    cd \
    cd windows
    attrib +s fonts

    --

    > In DOS, from "c:\windows\fonts"
    >
    > I typed: "attrib +s" A line appeared saying:
    >
    > "Not resetting hidden file C:\windows\fonts\VGA850.FON
    > Sharing violation reading drive C
    > Abort, Retry, Fail?"

    To test, run the following command:

    attrib c:\windows\fonts

    Does it say it already has the S (System) attribute? Have you restarted
    since you reset the attrib? How many fonts do you have in your fonts
    folder?

    --

    >I tried both sets of commands from the above posts, and all variations
    > thereof. Still no change.

    I'm not sure what you typed. After typing it...

    (a) Click the MARK button
    (b) Outline all the relevant text with your mouse
    (c) Use the COPY button, & post it into a reply...

    START button, Programs, MSDOS-Prompt

    C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts
    S R FONTS C:\windows\FONTS

    If it doesn't look like that, then...

    C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts +S +R

    C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts
    S R FONTS C:\windows\FONTS

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "dinana" <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I tried both sets of commands from the above posts, and all variations
    | thereof. Still no change.

    Tried it again, here is a copy:

    Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

    C:\WINDOWS>cd:\

    C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts
    S R FONTS C:\windows\FONTS

    C:\>

    See anything amiss? I also tried your other suggestion and came up with:

    Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999

    C:\WINDOWS>cd:\

    C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts +S +R

    C:\>

    But still no change, even after rebooting.
    Thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate your help.

    Nope. The system attribute is apparently set. You might try UNsetting it
    and then resetting it.

    Have you restarted since setting the attribute?

    How many fonts do you have installed.

    Do you use any Fonts manager, like ATM from Adobe, or Font Navigator
    from Bitstream?

    --

    > Tried it again, here is a copy:
    >

    > Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    > (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS>cd:\
    >
    > C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts
    > S R FONTS C:\windows\FONTS
    >
    > C:\>
    >
    > See anything amiss? I also tried your other suggestion and came up
    > with:
    >

    > Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    > (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS>cd:\
    >
    > C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts +S +R
    >
    > C:\>
    >
    > But still no change, even after rebooting.
    > Thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate your help.

    This means your attributes are correct. It must be something else amiss.
    I'll leave you for the moment in Terhune's & Edwards's hands. Perhaps
    you have exceeded the limit.

    DIR C:\Windows\Fonts

    C:\>dir c:\windows\fonts
    ....snip
    119 file(s) 13,849,816 bytes
    2 dir(s) 6,773.66 MB free

    Perhaps post the URLs of the article(s) you tried for inspection.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "dinana" <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Tried it again, here is a copy:
    |

    | Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    | (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.
    |
    | C:\WINDOWS>cd:\
    |
    | C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts
    | S R FONTS C:\windows\FONTS
    |
    | C:\>
    |
    | See anything amiss? I also tried your other suggestion and came up
    with:

    | Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    | (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999
    |
    | C:\WINDOWS>cd:\
    |
    | C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts +S +R
    |
    | C:\>
    |
    | But still no change, even after rebooting.
    | Thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate your help.

    dir c:\windows\fonts /a
    ....snip
    130 file(s) 14,107,701 bytes
    2 dir(s) 6,765.66 MB free

    /a shows the hidden ones too.

    --
    | This means your attributes are correct. It must be something else
    amiss.
    | I'll leave you for the moment in Terhune's & Edwards's hands. Perhaps
    | you have exceeded the limit.
    |
    | DIR C:\Windows\Fonts
    |
    | C:\>dir c:\windows\fonts
    | ...snip
    | 119 file(s) 13,849,816 bytes
    | 2 dir(s) 6,773.66 MB free
    |
    | Perhaps post the URLs of the article(s) you tried for inspection.
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | "dinana" <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | | Tried it again, here is a copy:
    | |
    | |
    | | Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    | | (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.
    | |
    | | C:\WINDOWS>cd:\
    | |
    | | C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts
    | | S R FONTS C:\windows\FONTS
    | |
    | | C:\>
    | |
    | | See anything amiss? I also tried your other suggestion and came up
    | with:
    | |
    | |
    | | Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    | | (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999
    | |
    | | C:\WINDOWS>cd:\
    | |
    | | C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts +S +R
    | |
    | | C:\>
    | |
    | | But still no change, even after rebooting.
    | | Thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate your help.
    | |
    | |

    After c:\>dir c:\windows\fonts it showed I have

    84 file(s) 10,016,868 bytes
    2 dir(s) 7,794.65 MB free

    Apparently it isn't the number of fonts that is creating a problem!

    entering the command using /a shows

    91 file(s) 10,538,424 bytes
    2 dir(s) 7,790.63 MB free

    "PCR" wrote:

    > This means your attributes are correct. It must be something else amiss.
    > I'll leave you for the moment in Terhune's & Edwards's hands. Perhaps
    > you have exceeded the limit.
    >
    > DIR C:\Windows\Fonts
    >
    > C:\>dir c:\windows\fonts
    > ....snip
    > 119 file(s) 13,849,816 bytes
    > 2 dir(s) 6,773.66 MB free
    >
    > Perhaps post the URLs of the article(s) you tried for inspection.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "dinana" <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Tried it again, here is a copy:
    > |

    > | Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    > | (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.
    > |
    > | C:\WINDOWS>cd:\
    > |
    > | C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts
    > | S R FONTS C:\windows\FONTS
    > |
    > | C:\>
    > |
    > | See anything amiss? I also tried your other suggestion and came up
    > with:
    > |

    > | Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    > | (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999
    > |
    > | C:\WINDOWS>cd:\
    > |
    > | C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts +S +R
    > |
    > | C:\>
    > |
    > | But still no change, even after rebooting.
    > | Thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate your help.

    Gary,
    when I test using attrib c:\windows\fonts, here it what I get:

    C:\>attrib c:\windows\fonts
    S R FONTS c:\windows\FONTS

    I have restarted my computer after attempting most of these commands.
    At the most, I have
    91 file(s) 10,538,424 bytes
    2 dir(s) 7,790.63 MB free in the font folder

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > To test, run the following command:
    >
    > attrib c:\windows\fonts
    >
    > Does it say it already has the S (System) attribute? Have you restarted
    > since you reset the attrib? How many fonts do you have in your fonts
    > folder?
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "dinana" <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I tried both sets of commands from the above posts, and all variations
    > > thereof. Still no change.

    Dinana,

    See Alan Edwards's reply to your original post. Go through that
    checklist as methodically as you can. Please report back if/when you
    manage to get it fixed, telling us what did the trick. Or, conversely,
    if you go through the whole list and nothing helps.

    Again, because you say you're a graphic designer, are you sure you
    haven't installed any third-party FONTS management software? Can you
    recall *any* change in programming, installations or uninstalls, that
    might have precipitated this problem?

    --

    > Gary,
    > when I test using attrib c:\windows\fonts, here it what I get:
    >
    > C:\>attrib c:\windows\fonts
    > S R FONTS c:\windows\FONTS
    >
    > I have restarted my computer after attempting most of these commands.
    > At the most, I have
    > 91 file(s) 10,538,424 bytes
    > 2 dir(s) 7,790.63 MB free in the font folder
    >

    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    >> To test, run the following command:
    >>
    >> attrib c:\windows\fonts
    >>
    >> Does it say it already has the S (System) attribute? Have you
    >> restarted
    >> since you reset the attrib? How many fonts do you have in your fonts
    >> folder?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS MVP Shell/User
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>
    >> "dinana" <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I tried both sets of commands from the above posts, and all
    >> >variations
    >> > thereof. Still no change.

    Gary,
    Thanks for all your help, by the way, I'm very thankful for it.

    I've done all of Alan Edward's suggestions except for #s 4, 5 (that one
    confuses me), and 7. I'll try #4 as soon as I finish this post.

    I'm sure I don't have any other font management software, and here's why:
    (this may be the problem) After leaving my last job I lost all access to
    newer/upgraded computer systems, and had to revert to my own *old* laptop to
    do little side-work graphic jobs. Although I purchased the laptop to
    facilitate graphics, I complained to a computer programming friend some
    problems I was having; he suggested he take it and make some helpful
    adjustments. He cleared out all the pre-installed junk (like AOL, etc), and
    also replaced my WinME os with Win98 (my processor can handle nothing newer).
    As a whole, everything works much better -- but could that have caused the
    problem with my font folder?

    Again, thanks.

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Dinana,
    >
    > See Alan Edwards's reply to your original post. Go through that
    > checklist as methodically as you can. Please report back if/when you
    > manage to get it fixed, telling us what did the trick. Or, conversely,
    > if you go through the whole list and nothing helps.
    >
    > Again, because you say you're a graphic designer, are you sure you
    > haven't installed any third-party FONTS management software? Can you
    > recall *any* change in programming, installations or uninstalls, that
    > might have precipitated this problem?
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "dinana" <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Gary,
    > > when I test using attrib c:\windows\fonts, here it what I get:
    > >
    > > C:\>attrib c:\windows\fonts
    > > S R FONTS c:\windows\FONTS
    > >
    > > I have restarted my computer after attempting most of these commands.
    > > At the most, I have
    > > 91 file(s) 10,538,424 bytes
    > > 2 dir(s) 7,790.63 MB free in the font folder
    > >

    > > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    > >
    > >> To test, run the following command:
    > >>
    > >> attrib c:\windows\fonts
    > >>
    > >> Does it say it already has the S (System) attribute? Have you
    > >> restarted
    > >> since you reset the attrib? How many fonts do you have in your fonts
    > >> folder?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Gary S. Terhune
    > >> MS MVP Shell/User
    > >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    > >>
    > >> "dinana" <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Dinana,

    Well the ones you haven't tried yet are the ones I have the most hope
    for, particularly #4 and #5. Just be careful with TweakUI and don't use
    any of its settings changes without first asking. Some of them have
    unexpected results.

    I don't understand the additional info you provide--you *can't*
    overwrite Windows ME with Windows 98. Only way to do that is to reformat
    the hard drive and install Win98 fresh. Is that what happened?

    --

    > Gary,
    > Thanks for all your help, by the way, I'm very thankful for it.
    >
    > I've done all of Alan Edward's suggestions except for #s 4, 5 (that
    > one
    > confuses me), and 7. I'll try #4 as soon as I finish this post.
    >
    > I'm sure I don't have any other font management software, and here's
    > why:
    > (this may be the problem) After leaving my last job I lost all access
    > newer/upgraded computer systems, and had to revert to my own *old*
    > laptop to
    > do little side-work graphic jobs. Although I purchased the laptop to
    > facilitate graphics, I complained to a computer programming friend
    > some
    > problems I was having; he suggested he take it and make some helpful
    > adjustments. He cleared out all the pre-installed junk (like AOL,
    > etc), and
    > also replaced my WinME os with Win98 (my processor can handle nothing
    > newer).
    > As a whole, everything works much better -- but could that have caused
    > the
    > problem with my font folder?
    >
    > Again, thanks.

    Gary,
    See my post below to Alan's suggestions (esp. #4 and 7) do you understand
    his #5 remedy? It confuses me.

    And yes, I believe he reformatted the drive and then installed Win98.

    Thanks

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Dinana,
    >
    > Well the ones you haven't tried yet are the ones I have the most hope
    > for, particularly #4 and #5. Just be careful with TweakUI and don't use
    > any of its settings changes without first asking. Some of them have
    > unexpected results.
    >
    > I don't understand the additional info you provide--you *can't*
    > overwrite Windows ME with Windows 98. Only way to do that is to reformat
    > the hard drive and install Win98 fresh. Is that what happened?
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "dinana" <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Gary,
    > > Thanks for all your help, by the way, I'm very thankful for it.
    > >
    > > I've done all of Alan Edward's suggestions except for #s 4, 5 (that
    > > one
    > > confuses me), and 7. I'll try #4 as soon as I finish this post.
    > >
    > > I'm sure I don't have any other font management software, and here's
    > > why:
    > > (this may be the problem) After leaving my last job I lost all access
    > > newer/upgraded computer systems, and had to revert to my own *old*
    > > laptop to
    > > do little side-work graphic jobs. Although I purchased the laptop to
    > > facilitate graphics, I complained to a computer programming friend
    > > some
    > > problems I was having; he suggested he take it and make some helpful
    > > adjustments. He cleared out all the pre-installed junk (like AOL,
    > > etc), and
    > > also replaced my WinME os with Win98 (my processor can handle nothing
    > > newer).
    > > As a whole, everything works much better -- but could that have caused
    > > the
    > > problem with my font folder?
    > >
    > > Again, thanks.

    You have tried some of these but this is my standard response:

    The first thing to establish is the number of fonts you have installed
    (including variations) The limit can be reached normally around
    700-1000 though I personally recommend no more than 250

    I will give you a list of common font problems.

    1. Default printer has been set to other than a valid printer.
    Check that your default printer has not been set to "generic, text
    only" as this will stop fonts from showing.

    2. Fonts folder has lost its system properties.
    This will be obvious if viewing the fonts folder. You will not have
    the names and the "install new font" option under file.
    If so:
    Check the protection in properties on folder c:\Windows\fonts
    if it is not shown with a check in system, then you cannot install new
    fonts. It should also be protected, so you may not be able to alter
    from explorer.
    Restart in dos mode and use command
    attrib +s c:\Windows\fonts
    reboot and all should be ok

    3. Font cache corrupted (less common)
    delete c:\Windows\ttfcache and reboot. (Do not move it, only delete
    it) It will be regenerated

    4.Use tweakui from the PowerToys. It has a repair fonts option which
    will also fix fonts folder in 2.

    Tweak UI 1.33 for Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows Millennium
    Edition, Windows 98 or Windows 95.
    Details at: (may wrap)
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp
    Download at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/guide/tweakui.exe
    TweakUI should fix the hidden desktop.ini if that is the problem.

    5.Check that the value "fonts" in the registry at
    "hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shell
    folders" has data "C:\Windows\fonts" (assuming %windir% is C:\Windows)

    6.Fontext.Dll is missing or corrupted.
    Win95:
    From a dos prompt change to the windows\system directory and type:
    Extract d:\Win95\win95\win95_10.Cab fontext.Dll
    (if you have osr2, it will be in win95_16.Cab)
    where d: Is the letter of your cd-rom.

    Win98: Replace it using SFC (Start-Run-SFC)

    7.Check this article on the use of the Fontreg tool:

    Missing TrueType Fonts in Fonts Folder or Programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q133/7/32.asp

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 12:27:03 -0700, dinana
    <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Trying to install fonts in Windows 98, but I have no "Install Font" option
    >under the File menu (as is instructed in Windows Help). Dragging/Dropping
    >files into the Font folder doesn't work either.
    >
    >I went to the MS Knowledge Base website, which said to extract a new
    >fontext.dll file. I followed the instructions, but no change. The website
    >then said to extract a new desktop.ini file, which I also did, per
    >instructions. No change.
    >
    >I've installed plenty of fonts quite easily on other systems -- why is this
    >so hard?? I'm a graphic designer: I need these fonts!!

    Responding to your suggestions (thank you for them):

    1. I have no printer installed on this computer - I transfer all files to
    disk for printing.
    2. PCR and Gary (above posts) have walked me through the folder attributes
    process, to no avail.
    3. I deleted the ttfcache file as directed, rebooted, but no change.
    4. I downloaded Tweakui.exe as directed on the link you sent (take note that
    your second link listed is invalid). when I attempt to open the file, I get
    an error message reading: "Zip file is damaged, truncated, or has been
    changed since it was created," and cannot open the file.
    5. I do not understand your #5 suggestion -- can you go over that again?
    6. I tried using SFC to replace the fontext.dll, but no change occured.
    7. I attempted the first resolution on the MS Support link, it did not help.
    It also lists a process for editing the fonts Registry Key, which I hesitate
    to do for all the warnings associated with it, and the fact that the problem
    is not just installing True Type Fonts, but acquiring the "Install Font"
    option at all.

    Please explain #5 again and I'll give it a shot. Might you have any further
    suggestions? I think i'm about to lose my mind...

    Thanks for your advice,

    "Alan Edwards" wrote:

> [...]
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q133/7/32.asp
    >

    > ....Alan
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 12:27:03 -0700, dinana
    > <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Trying to install fonts in Windows 98, but I have no "Install Font" option
    > >under the File menu (as is instructed in Windows Help). Dragging/Dropping
    > >files into the Font folder doesn't work either.
    > >
    > >I went to the MS Knowledge Base website, which said to extract a new
    > >fontext.dll file. I followed the instructions, but no change. The website
    > >then said to extract a new desktop.ini file, which I also did, per
    > >instructions. No change.
    > >
    > >I've installed plenty of fonts quite easily on other systems -- why is this
    > >so hard?? I'm a graphic designer: I need these fonts!!

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Detailed steps for Alan's #5 suggestion:

    1. Go to Start, then Run, type in REGEDIT, then press <Enter>.
    2. In Regedit, click on the +plus sign by HKEY_Current_User. In the left
    column, progressively click on the +plus signs by:
    +Software
    +Microsoft
    +Windows
    +CurrentVersion
    +Explorer

    Then click directly on "Shell Folders". Look in the right-hand pane in
    the Name column for "Fonts". What does it say in the Data column for
    that Fonts entry?

    Note that there is no "Undo" in the Registry. Be very cautious about
    changing anything. As additional protection, whenever you consider
    changing something, first use File>Export to export the key you're
    planning to change (save it to your Desktop so it's easy to find, delete
    it when you're sure it's no longer needed.)

    --

> [...]
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 12:27:03 -0700, dinana
    >> <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Trying to install fonts in Windows 98, but I have no "Install Font"
    >> >option
    >> >under the File menu (as is instructed in Windows Help).
    >> >Dragging/Dropping
    >> >files into the Font folder doesn't work either.
    >> >
    >> >I went to the MS Knowledge Base website, which said to extract a new
    >> >fontext.dll file. I followed the instructions, but no change. The
    >> >website
    >> >then said to extract a new desktop.ini file, which I also did, per
    >> >instructions. No change.
    >> >
    >> >I've installed plenty of fonts quite easily on other systems -- why
    >> >is this
    >> >so hard?? I'm a graphic designer: I need these fonts!!

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Right. It isn't the number of FONTS, nor the System Attribute, UNLESS
    this is not really your FONTS folder. I'll leave you in their hands now.
    Like Terhune, I am no fan of TweakUI. In addition to the Registry key
    Richards has mentioned, may as well also look in...

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Use
    r Shell Folders

    ....which, for me, contains no mention of FONTS, but I can think it might
    under other circumstances.

    (1) START button, Run, RegEdit.
    (2) Click plus signs starting left of HKEY_CURRENT_USER,
    & ending left of Explorer
    (3) Finally, click "User Shell Folders" itself in the left pane.

    Is there an entry for FONTS in the right pane? What is the folder?

    The other key...
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She
    ll Folders
    Fonts "C:\Windows\Fonts"

    ....does & should mention it. Well, it might indicate your fonts are
    really in a different folder. Then, that is the one which may have lost
    it's System Attribute. Or, it may have too many FONTS-- over 250, by
    Richard's count.

    WARNING: Make no change in the Registry until checking back!

    --
    | After c:\>dir c:\windows\fonts it showed I have
    |
    | 84 file(s) 10,016,868 bytes
    | 2 dir(s) 7,794.65 MB free
    |
    | Apparently it isn't the number of fonts that is creating a problem!
    |
    | entering the command using /a shows
    |
    | 91 file(s) 10,538,424 bytes
    | 2 dir(s) 7,790.63 MB free
    |

    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > This means your attributes are correct. It must be something else
    amiss.
    | > I'll leave you for the moment in Terhune's & Edwards's hands.
    Perhaps
    | > you have exceeded the limit.
    | >
    | > DIR C:\Windows\Fonts
    | >
    | > C:\>dir c:\windows\fonts
    | > ....snip
    | > 119 file(s) 13,849,816 bytes
    | > 2 dir(s) 6,773.66 MB free
    | >
    | > Perhaps post the URLs of the article(s) you tried for inspection.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "dinana" <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | Tried it again, here is a copy:
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    | > | (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.
    | > |
    | > | C:\WINDOWS>cd:\
    | > |
    | > | C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts
    | > | S R FONTS C:\windows\FONTS
    | > |
    | > | C:\>
    | > |
    | > | See anything amiss? I also tried your other suggestion and came up
    | > with:
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    | > | (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999
    | > |
    | > | C:\WINDOWS>cd:\
    | > |
    | > | C:\>ATTRIB C:\windows\fonts +S +R
    | > |
    | > | C:\>
    | > |
    | > | But still no change, even after rebooting.
    | > | Thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate your help.
    | > |
    | > |

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Here we go:

    I went through the fontext.dll replacement process again; SFC said it
    extracted the new file successfully, and the .dll file still says it was last
    modified in April of 99.

    In regedit, fonts is located under "c:\windows\fonts" in Shell Folders. In
    User Shell Folders there's no mention of fonts, so we're good there,right?

    I was able to download Tweak again, which opened and unzipped correctly.
    However, PCR and Gary say they aren't wild about it --- why? Is there
    something in particular I should watch for? After all we've tried, do you
    think it will really solve the problem? Is it our last resort?

    "dinana" wrote:

> [...]
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q133/7/32.asp
    > >

    > > ....Alan
    > > --
    > > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    > >
    > > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 12:27:03 -0700, dinana
    > > <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Trying to install fonts in Windows 98, but I have no "Install Font" option
    > > >under the File menu (as is instructed in Windows Help). Dragging/Dropping
    > > >files into the Font folder doesn't work either.
    > > >
    > > >I went to the MS Knowledge Base website, which said to extract a new
    > > >fontext.dll file. I followed the instructions, but no change. The website
    > > >then said to extract a new desktop.ini file, which I also did, per
    > > >instructions. No change.
    > > >
    > > >I've installed plenty of fonts quite easily on other systems -- why is this
    > > >so hard?? I'm a graphic designer: I need these fonts!!

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | 6. I tried using SFC to replace the fontext.dll, but no change
    occured.

    Did it replace the file?

    FONTEXT.DLL
    Desc: Windows Font Folder
    Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    Size: 122,880 bytes
    Mod: Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM
    Ver: 4.10.1704

    It is old enough never to have been Windows Updated, & should be fine
    right out of the .cab.

    --
> [...]
    | > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    | > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    | >
    | > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 12:27:03 -0700, dinana
    | > <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    | >
    | > >Trying to install fonts in Windows 98, but I have no "Install Font"
    option
    | > >under the File menu (as is instructed in Windows Help).
    Dragging/Dropping
    | > >files into the Font folder doesn't work either.
    | > >
    | > >I went to the MS Knowledge Base website, which said to extract a
    new
    | > >fontext.dll file. I followed the instructions, but no change. The
    website
    | > >then said to extract a new desktop.ini file, which I also did, per
    | > >instructions. No change.
    | > >
    | > >I've installed plenty of fonts quite easily on other systems -- why
    is this
    | > >so hard?? I'm a graphic designer: I need these fonts!!

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    .... and in Explorer, fonts folder, I have 91 files. I have no "hide
    variations" option in the View menu.

    "dinana" wrote:

> [...]
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q133/7/32.asp
    > >

    > > ....Alan
    > > --
    > > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    > >
    > > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 12:27:03 -0700, dinana
    > > <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Trying to install fonts in Windows 98, but I have no "Install Font" option
    > > >under the File menu (as is instructed in Windows Help). Dragging/Dropping
    > > >files into the Font folder doesn't work either.
    > > >
    > > >I went to the MS Knowledge Base website, which said to extract a new
    > > >fontext.dll file. I followed the instructions, but no change. The website
    > > >then said to extract a new desktop.ini file, which I also did, per
    > > >instructions. No change.
    > > >
    > > >I've installed plenty of fonts quite easily on other systems -- why is this
    > > >so hard?? I'm a graphic designer: I need these fonts!!

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Party at my house!

    Finally -- problem solved by Tweakui Repair Font function. Whaddya' know...

    I wish I could take you all out to lunch to thank you -- all of you have
    been so great in your willingness to help and stick with me through this
    rediculous (but vital) issue. Really, can't thank you enough. (I'll pray
    God that someone you know offers to take you to lunch this week instead!)

    Yours,
    dinana
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Gary has given you a good description of #5.

    How many fonts do you have installed?
    I don't want the number of files as you have already given.
    How may fonts show in Control Panel-Fonts?
    (Ensure "Hide variations" is unchecked in the View menu)

    Sorry about the bad second link.
    I should have checked it as it is years old.
    I just downloaded it again from the first link.
    It is a self-extractor and opened correctly has the 4 files inside
    that should be there.

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:45:05 -0700, dinana
> [...]

    >> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q133/7/32.asp
    >>

    >> ....Alan
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 12:27:03 -0700, dinana
    >> <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Trying to install fonts in Windows 98, but I have no "Install Font" option
    >> >under the File menu (as is instructed in Windows Help). Dragging/Dropping
    >> >files into the Font folder doesn't work either.
    >> >
    >> >I went to the MS Knowledge Base website, which said to extract a new
    >> >fontext.dll file. I followed the instructions, but no change. The website
    >> >then said to extract a new desktop.ini file, which I also did, per
    >> >instructions. No change.
    >> >
    >> >I've installed plenty of fonts quite easily on other systems -- why is this
    >> >so hard?? I'm a graphic designer: I need these fonts!!

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Yes, the Registry entry looks OK if you mean you see
    "C:\Windows\Fonts" under the Data column against Fonts.

    Gary and R may tell you what they don't like about TweakUI.
    There is no problem with using it to repair fonts, though it may only
    replace the desktop.ini that you have already done.
    Do it anyway.
    It is very close to our last resort.

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:05:20 -0700, dinana
> [...]

    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp
    >> > Download at:
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/guide/tweakui.exe
    >> > TweakUI should fix the hidden desktop.ini if that is the problem.
    >> >
    >> > 5.Check that the value "fonts" in the registry at
    >> > "hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shell
    >> > folders" has data "C:\Windows\fonts" (assuming %windir% is C:\Windows)
    >> >
    >> > 6.Fontext.Dll is missing or corrupted.
    >> > Win95:
    >> > From a dos prompt change to the windows\system directory and type:
    >> > Extract d:\Win95\win95\win95_10.Cab fontext.Dll
    >> > (if you have osr2, it will be in win95_16.Cab)
    >> > where d: Is the letter of your cd-rom.
    >> >
    >> > Win98: Replace it using SFC (Start-Run-SFC)
    >> >
    >> > 7.Check this article on the use of the Fontreg tool:
    >> >
    >> > Missing TrueType Fonts in Fonts Folder or Programs

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    If you have no "hide variations" under View, then that means your
    Fonts folder is not a true system fonts folder at all and I assume you
    don't even see the heading Font Name as well as Filename in Details
    View?

    See what happens after TweakUI.

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:08:02 -0700, dinana
> [...]

    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp
    >> > Download at:
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/guide/tweakui.exe
    >> > TweakUI should fix the hidden desktop.ini if that is the problem.
    >> >
    >> > 5.Check that the value "fonts" in the registry at
    >> > "hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shell
    >> > folders" has data "C:\Windows\fonts" (assuming %windir% is C:\Windows)
    >> >
    >> > 6.Fontext.Dll is missing or corrupted.
    >> > Win95:
    >> > From a dos prompt change to the windows\system directory and type:
    >> > Extract d:\Win95\win95\win95_10.Cab fontext.Dll
    >> > (if you have osr2, it will be in win95_16.Cab)
    >> > where d: Is the letter of your cd-rom.
    >> >
    >> > Win98: Replace it using SFC (Start-Run-SFC)
    >> >
    >> > 7.Check this article on the use of the Fontreg tool:
    >> >
    >> > Missing TrueType Fonts in Fonts Folder or Programs

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Well done!

    Sorry I can't make the party (unless it is somewhere in the north of
    Tasmania)

    Take care.

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:48:01 -0700, dinana
    <dinana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Party at my house!
    >
    >Finally -- problem solved by Tweakui Repair Font function. Whaddya' know...
    >
    >I wish I could take you all out to lunch to thank you -- all of you have
    >been so great in your willingness to help and stick with me through this
    >rediculous (but vital) issue. Really, can't thank you enough. (I'll pray
    >God that someone you know offers to take you to lunch this week instead!)
    >
    >Yours,
    >dinana
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    That is good to hear, & it will save me poring through MS articles &
    burning out my remaining brain cells. I GUESS you should go to northern
    Tasmania for the celebration.

    Well, TweakUI was discontinued by MS. It is not updated to reflect
    certain changes in Windows. It is not supported. Careful what else you
    do with it! Don't hide drives, for instance, or you may lose certain
    context menus. Still, glad you are fixed.

    --
    | Party at my house!
    |
    | Finally -- problem solved by Tweakui Repair Font function. Whaddya'
    know...

    | I wish I could take you all out to lunch to thank you -- all of you
    have
    | been so great in your willingness to help and stick with me through
    this
    | rediculous (but vital) issue. Really, can't thank you enough. (I'll
    pray
    | God that someone you know offers to take you to lunch this week
    instead!)

    | Yours,
    | dinana
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    TweakUI is quite valuable for certain functions, and quite convenient
    for those who know what they're doing. However, some of its functions
    can have far-reaching and unexpected consequences, and one or two can be
    difficult to undo. I've found it my role in this community to be the
    devil's advocate where TUI is concerned. I cry beware whenever it's
    discussed in my presence. My honest opinion is that it should only be
    used by, or under the supervision of, someone who understands the
    potential problems.

    In other words, I wouldn't recommend flipping switches in TUI just to
    see what happens, <s>.

    That said, your particular problem is one of those things for which TUI
    is almost indispensable. Glad to see it got you through this one.

    --

    > I was able to download Tweak again, which opened and unzipped
    > correctly.
    > However, PCR and Gary say they aren't wild about it --- why? Is there
    > something in particular I should watch for? After all we've tried, do
    > you
    > think it will really solve the problem? Is it our last resort?
  32. What we cherish most of all are our customers! That’s why we organize this clearance sale!, viagra ,viagra side effects four hour erectionzovirax ointment

Font Microsoft Windows