Sign in with
Your question

Reformat

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 4, 2006 4:23:01 PM

I'm planning to reformat my hard drive as I've been getting a lot of these so called "blue screens of death" on a pretty regular basis and I can't seem to figure out what is causing the problem. I assume I can accomplish this with the Windows CD and set the partions and such.

I have an 80 gig hd and I was wondering what would be a recommended size to put the OS on? I would like to have a the remainder of the drive to store data and games and such. I assume the partition with the OS would be the primary C: drive? Would the 2nd partition be named like E: drive? My CD-ROM is my D: drive.

Any other advice or tips would be helpful as this will be my first attempt at something like this. Thanks in advance for your help!

-Danny

More about : reformat

May 4, 2006 4:54:10 PM

I would actually suggest that you get another HD. 80GB is really not all that much and if you install a lot of programs it can be used up in a hurry. This way you don't have to worry about partitions, just add another HD for data. I have over 500 GB on 3 drives and one 120GB drive dedicated to just my OS and programs, the other two drives have 2 partitions each that contain video, music, pictures... etc. Drive letters will be assigned as required like you say... I have 8 drive letters between my HDs and optical drives.
May 4, 2006 5:27:05 PM

Eight drives? Thats insane, I thought have 2 was plenty :D 
Related resources
May 4, 2006 5:53:40 PM

That is 8 drive letters. 3 physical HDs two of them with partitions = 5 drive letters plus 2 optical drives and one 5GB usb drive makes the other 3.
May 4, 2006 6:00:47 PM

Depends how many programs you like to install. If you install lots of games,

etc, put all that stuff on c: . You can than put mp3's, pics, videos, etc on D:

drive/partition. There is no "right" size to partition it at, it's according to your

usage/preference. You could do , say c: 20G..d: 54.5G (As you don't get the

full 80G) or c:37 D:37.5. The combo's are almost endless. Unless you install

a ton of programs/games, somewhere around 20-25 G should suffice for

c:

:wink:

Oh, and don't forget to burn important stuff-Pics, Apps, mp3's to cd/dvd

before you reformat. 80G isn't "that" small, unless you are encoding

video, or storing linux ISO's on there. I have been saved by partitioning

many times. If you have to reformat again, all your multimedia stuff is

still there on d:, and unless the drive physically dies, can save you alot

of time and effort.
May 4, 2006 6:28:08 PM

Thank you for the responses. 80 gig has served me just fine for the past few years. I don't do video or any of that sort of storage intensive type of stuff. I do play a few games...so I expect the the 20 : 60 (54) ratio will serve me well.

I assume I can do this by booting with the Windows CD and continuing from there to establish the partition sizes?

Thank you for your help.

Have a good day all :) 

-Danny
a b G Storage
May 5, 2006 6:11:54 AM

First thing I would do is update the bios.
a b G Storage
May 5, 2006 7:28:52 AM

Danny

I see three issues on your email...

1) Blue Screen on your computer...

You need to find the root cause of this or it will repeat itself regardless of your drive settings or setup.

Check the following:

A) Bios setup and settings (memory settings )
B) get the latest drivers
C) Most common cause of Blue Screens is related to memory. Check your memory settings. You slow it down and observe it the problem goes away. Another option is try a new set of MEMORY MODULE

You may want to share your computer configuration to the group to get more inputs.

I'm sure the group will have more inputs on how to sort this problem.

2) Drive Partitioning

You don't need to reformat your drive to partition your 80 Gig drive. PARTITION MAGIC (SYMANTEC) is a very handy tool. It can partition your drive without the need for reformatting. You can resize each partition to your liking and needs.

HD are cheap i just got 300 GB SATA for $98. You can just add another drive as an option and leave your 80HD as it is.

3) Buy or get a backup software that will enable you to save your drive on a DVD including DRIVE C:. A simple restore will bring back your drive OS setup in about 10 to 20 minutes. You need such software since you are at vulnerable state with frequent blue screen problem.

I use DRIVE IMAGE 7. Other similar software is GO BACK. You don't need to go through the process of reinstallation in case of HD crash.

Hope it helps

Leon2006
May 5, 2006 7:35:14 AM

it doesnt matter how much you make the partitions really, because you can defrag them with O&O defrag (the best i have used to squeeze space) and resize them later. to resize - burn knoppix on a dvd, and use Qtparted to resize the partitions, assuming that there are no bad clusters!
May 5, 2006 6:47:07 PM

Thank you all so very much for your responses I appreciate them very much.

Here are my system specifications:

MB: Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ - VIA KM400 Chipset
CPU: Athalon 2500 XP
Memory: 2x 512 DDR PC2700
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 4 FX 5200, 128 mb
Hard Drive: Maxtor 80 gig - 8 mb cache
Floppy Drive: Sony 1.44
CD Drive: Sony 52x32x52
Ethernet card
56 K Modem D/F/V
Windows XP Home Edition

I think I may have screwed things up a few days ago in an effort to have a way to restore my system in the event of problems. Gigabyte has a system backup/restore utility that one can access upon bootup by hitting F9. I used the backup feature to have a safeguard in case of any future boot problems. This way I would have a way to restore my system. Anyway, long story short. I encountered a boot failure (not sure if it was due to using the Gigabyte utility or not). When the system started it said in white letters....Boot Failure some of your settings have changed and then something about "setup". It would not go past this screen, so I hit Del and entered the bios setup. I didn't change anything but just saved and exited. As it rebooted, I noticed the bus speed, system speed, memory speed or whatever you call it had changed to 333Mhz. But anyway, it would just go through the startup and then flash a blue screen quickly that I couldn't read and then repeat the boot process over again.

It was at this point that I thought I had better just try and restore my system using the Gigabyte utility that I had used previously to backup my system. So, I proceeded to do the restore and as it turned out it didn't work. It was at this point that I decided to see if I could boot to the Windows CD and use it to repair the OS. That did work. I was able to restore windows and get my system to boot again. But now it shows FAT32 and shows my hard drive capacity as being only about half of what it is suppose to be. So now I'm really confused. Did the Gigibybe utility change things? Also, when I tryed to update the drivers for my graphics card to the latest drivers I received the blue screen again after the reboot. So, I had to start windows again with the last good configuration. So, I thought (another mistake) if I remove the graphics card and allow windows to find it again maybe I could install them at that point. I went into device manage and removed the 5200 and rebooted in hopes that windows would find it and then allow me to install the latest drivers. However, upon reboot it didn't find my graphics card but just shows a generic VGA adapter. So that's where I am at now. I'm still having blue screens from time-to-time and I don't know how to get windows to find my graphics card.

So, have I just screwed the pooch? I don't know what to do to resolve the blue screens, the FAT32 issue or how to reinstall my graphics card. Is all lost? Is my system to unstable to repair/recover? Is a reformat my only alternative to resolve this mess?

Sorry for this being so long but I wanted to provide you with as much detail as I could. I appreciate any help or advice any of you could give me as I certainly do not have a clue on what I need to do.

Thank you in advance for your assistance with my problem.

Have a good day and God Bless :) 

-Danny
May 5, 2006 7:30:57 PM

Run memtest86 and see what your memory is doing, also reset your bios to default and maybe clear your cmos using the jumper on your mother board.

If none of that solves your problems I would format the drive and reinstall windows. If you want to save any of your data you can either get another hard drive, as I suggested earlier or plug your hard drive into another computer and copy the data files over.
May 6, 2006 3:42:42 AM

Is memtest86 an external program that I need to DL? Thanks for the help.

Have a good day and God Bless :) 

-Danny
!