scandisk + defragnment nothing happen

When I try to do house keeping like scan disk or defragmentation, nothing
seems to happen, either it stays at checking allocation tables/checking
folders but no display of numbers or increase in the small squares or the
deframentation always stay at zero %. Any idea as what could be wrong?.
Running SFC shows nothing is wrong with the system files. (Running on p2,
32mb ram, hdd 4gb)
4 answers Last reply
More about scandisk defragnment happen

    First thing to try is the article in my signature on "Clean Boot". If
    you have the same trouble under Clean Boot conditions, then post back.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "mock" <mock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to do house keeping like scan disk or defragmentation,
    > nothing
    > seems to happen, either it stays at checking allocation
    > tables/checking
    > folders but no display of numbers or increase in the small squares or
    > the
    > deframentation always stay at zero %. Any idea as what could be
    > wrong?.
    > Running SFC shows nothing is wrong with the system files. (Running on
    > p2,
    > 32mb ram, hdd 4gb)

    See the defrag and scandisk troubleshooters located here:
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/how_to.html

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "mock" <mock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to do house keeping like scan disk or defragmentation, nothing
    > seems to happen, either it stays at checking allocation tables/checking
    > folders but no display of numbers or increase in the small squares or the
    > deframentation always stay at zero %. Any idea as what could be wrong?.
    > Running SFC shows nothing is wrong with the system files. (Running on p2,
    > 32mb ram, hdd 4gb)

    If you are using Win98 defrag with only 32meg of Ram you could
    be in for a long wait.
    If you have access to winME, copy its defrag program and place it in
    the windows folder after renaming your original to defragold, then
    run defrag again.
    Good luck.

    ...Rex..
    > First thing to try is the article in my signature on "Clean Boot". If
    > you have the same trouble under Clean Boot conditions, then post back.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "mock" <mock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I try to do house keeping like scan disk or defragmentation,
    > > nothing
    > > seems to happen, either it stays at checking allocation
    > > tables/checking
    > > folders but no display of numbers or increase in the small squares or
    > > the
    > > deframentation always stay at zero %. Any idea as what could be
    > > wrong?.
    > > Running SFC shows nothing is wrong with the system files. (Running on
    > > p2,
    > > 32mb ram, hdd 4gb)

    You could also try going along your task bar and closing down what you can.I
    was having the same problem for a while till I tried this.The less programs
    running when running maintainance the better.

    "Ron Badour" wrote:

    > See the defrag and scandisk troubleshooters located here:
    > http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/how_to.html
    >

    > --
    > Regards
    >

    > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > Knowledge Base Info:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >

    > "mock" <mock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I try to do house keeping like scan disk or defragmentation, nothing
    > > seems to happen, either it stays at checking allocation tables/checking
    > > folders but no display of numbers or increase in the small squares or the
    > > deframentation always stay at zero %. Any idea as what could be wrong?.
    > > Running SFC shows nothing is wrong with the system files. (Running on p2,
    > > 32mb ram, hdd 4gb)

Microsoft Windows