scandisk + defragnment nothing happen

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 3, 2005 10:42:04 PM

When I try to do house keeping like scan disk or defragmentation, nothing
seems to happen, either it stays at checking allocation tables/checking
folders but no display of numbers or increase in the small squares or the
deframentation always stay at zero %. Any idea as what could be wrong?.
Running SFC shows nothing is wrong with the system files. (Running on p2,
32mb ram, hdd 4gb)
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:49:50 PM

First thing to try is the article in my signature on "Clean Boot". If
you have the same trouble under Clean Boot conditions, then post back.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"mock" <mock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to do house keeping like scan disk or defragmentation,
> nothing
> seems to happen, either it stays at checking allocation
> tables/checking
> folders but no display of numbers or increase in the small squares or
> the
> deframentation always stay at zero %. Any idea as what could be
> wrong?.
> Running SFC shows nothing is wrong with the system files. (Running on
> p2,
> 32mb ram, hdd 4gb)
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:31:26 AM

See the defrag and scandisk troubleshooters located here:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/how_to.html

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"mock" <mock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to do house keeping like scan disk or defragmentation, nothing
> seems to happen, either it stays at checking allocation tables/checking
> folders but no display of numbers or increase in the small squares or the
> deframentation always stay at zero %. Any idea as what could be wrong?.
> Running SFC shows nothing is wrong with the system files. (Running on p2,
> 32mb ram, hdd 4gb)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:06:59 PM

If you are using Win98 defrag with only 32meg of Ram you could
be in for a long wait.
If you have access to winME, copy its defrag program and place it in
the windows folder after renaming your original to defragold, then
run defrag again.
Good luck.

...Rex..
> First thing to try is the article in my signature on "Clean Boot". If
> you have the same trouble under Clean Boot conditions, then post back.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "mock" <mock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to do house keeping like scan disk or defragmentation,
> > nothing
> > seems to happen, either it stays at checking allocation
> > tables/checking
> > folders but no display of numbers or increase in the small squares or
> > the
> > deframentation always stay at zero %. Any idea as what could be
> > wrong?.
> > Running SFC shows nothing is wrong with the system files. (Running on
> > p2,
> > 32mb ram, hdd 4gb)

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 10:24:03 AM

You could also try going along your task bar and closing down what you can.I
was having the same problem for a while till I tried this.The less programs
running when running maintainance the better.

!