Scandisk error - 6 options

Scanning my harddisk under standard with error fixing uncheck, it gives me
the following message, quote
c:\prog files\common files\Adobe\Media Browser\PLL
c:\prog files\common files\Adobe\Media Browser
A crisslink occurs when 2 or more files use the same cluster at the same
time. Except in unusual circumstances, the data in the crosslink custers is
correct for only 1 of the files.
1/Give each file a separate copy of the shared cluster
2/ Delete all affected files
3/ Truncate all files at the point of the crosslink
4/ Keep selected files and delete the othres
5/ Keep selected files and truncated the others
6/ Ignore the error and continue. ....unquote

When I choose the first option, and restart, it also cannot finish the scan
but it gives me 2 files of the same name now, which is
c:\prog files\common files\Adobe\Media Browser\PLL

Reading from other postings, I have done the following:- delete TIF, History
and in my msconfig, General and selectve setup, setup tag- only have 5 files
checked
Load power profile (2), System tray, Task monitor and Scanregistry

What must I do as when I scan using the "thorough" and automatically fix
errors check, it also stop scanning after a while. My pc is an old Packard
bell with 64 mb
7 answers Last reply
More about scandisk error options

    I think you are in big trouble, if Scandisk is having trouble
    completing. Does it constantly restart, even with minimal apps running?
    If it isn't restarting, how do you know it has stopped? How much time
    did you give it to start up again? Did you look into "C:\Scandisk.log"
    to see what was written?

    Really, I think you are in for it...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
    ....perhaps have a look there. I'm sure he will say to stop running it &
    to try to Image the partition first, so that you will always have a
    starting point to begin again.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
    Articles about Scandisk

    ........Quote.......
    You should run the diagnostics for the brand of hard drive that is in
    the computer.

    If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the
    limited-use free edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
    http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

    When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free
    edition, you will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site,
    then you will be able to download the diskette creator file.

    The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a
    working Windows system and will guide you through the process of
    extracting the Data Advisor onto a 3.5" floppy disk.

    Download and Use Instructions:
    http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp

    Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

    OnTrack Data Advisor:
    http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
    IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
    http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
    Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
    http://support.wdc.com/download/
    Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
    Seagate SeaTools:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
    Download:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Scanning my harddisk under standard with error fixing uncheck, it
    gives me
    | the following message, quote
    | c:\prog files\common files\Adobe\Media Browser\PLL
    | c:\prog files\common files\Adobe\Media Browser
    | A crisslink occurs when 2 or more files use the same cluster at the
    same
    | time. Except in unusual circumstances, the data in the crosslink
    custers is
    | correct for only 1 of the files.
    | 1/Give each file a separate copy of the shared cluster
    | 2/ Delete all affected files
    | 3/ Truncate all files at the point of the crosslink
    | 4/ Keep selected files and delete the othres
    | 5/ Keep selected files and truncated the others
    | 6/ Ignore the error and continue. ....unquote
    |
    | When I choose the first option, and restart, it also cannot finish
    the scan
    | but it gives me 2 files of the same name now, which is
    | c:\prog files\common files\Adobe\Media Browser\PLL
    |
    | Reading from other postings, I have done the following:- delete TIF,
    History
    | and in my msconfig, General and selectve setup, setup tag- only have
    5 files
    | checked
    | Load power profile (2), System tray, Task monitor and Scanregistry
    |
    | What must I do as when I scan using the "thorough" and automatically
    fix
    | errors check, it also stop scanning after a while. My pc is an old
    Packard
    | bell with 64 mb

    On the scandisk.log, I cannot open it. I highlight the file.right click and
    open, it will not open. Am I doing it the right way?
    When I closed the dialogue box (Scandisk found an error on c:-" which has
    the 2 files names and the 6 options, it will show "complete" the scandisk
    within a few seconds.

    May be this could be the source of my problem,
    just before I got into this problem,when I first started the scandisk I was
    able to complete it as it gave me the result table such as bad sectors =
    zero etc.

    Then I started the defragmentation, but I realised thatI have to uncheck the
    quick launch, so I stop it and go to uncheck the quick launch. Perhaps I did
    not give enough time for the pc to do its job and thats why it gave this
    error(we are talking about)

    Thought just to let you know the above while I try the other suggestions.

    "PCR" wrote:

> [...]
    > | 4/ Keep selected files and delete the othres
    > | 5/ Keep selected files and truncated the others
    > | 6/ Ignore the error and continue. ....unquote
    > |
    > | When I choose the first option, and restart, it also cannot finish
    > the scan
    > | but it gives me 2 files of the same name now, which is
    > | c:\prog files\common files\Adobe\Media Browser\PLL
    > |
    > | Reading from other postings, I have done the following:- delete TIF,
    > History
    > | and in my msconfig, General and selectve setup, setup tag- only have
    > 5 files
    > | checked
    > | Load power profile (2), System tray, Task monitor and Scanregistry
    > |
    > | What must I do as when I scan using the "thorough" and automatically
    > fix
    > | errors check, it also stop scanning after a while. My pc is an old

    I am running the scandisk again and it got pass the 17% mark and then to 95%
    and drop back to usually 86/87% mark and goes up to 95% mark and back again.
    Sometimes it will have this message "Scandisk is searching drice c for more
    cross link clusters"
    Is there any hope in running the scandisk on. Its has been on the about 45
    minutes or must I do a fresh installation?
    I have not run the diagnostic test of the hd disk yet, thanks

    "PCR" wrote:

> [...]
    > | 4/ Keep selected files and delete the othres
    > | 5/ Keep selected files and truncated the others
    > | 6/ Ignore the error and continue. ....unquote
    > |
    > | When I choose the first option, and restart, it also cannot finish
    > the scan
    > | but it gives me 2 files of the same name now, which is
    > | c:\prog files\common files\Adobe\Media Browser\PLL
    > |
    > | Reading from other postings, I have done the following:- delete TIF,
    > History
    > | and in my msconfig, General and selectve setup, setup tag- only have
    > 5 files
    > | checked
    > | Load power profile (2), System tray, Task monitor and Scanregistry
    > |
    > | What must I do as when I scan using the "thorough" and automatically
    > fix
    > | errors check, it also stop scanning after a while. My pc is an old

    That sounds horrible! Soon after Scandisk spoke like that to me, I had
    my great HDD crash of 2001! And Scandisk did eventually complete for me.
    Next day or so, it happened again. And again. Odd, I was still able to
    boot after the noisy crash & save some downloads by copying them to
    CD-ROM. Windows would work flawlessly for 20 minutes per boot after
    multiple attempts.

    And that's what you should be doing, if you can still boot. Save your
    data files & raw downloads. Run a manufacturer's diagnostic app, but,
    really, you might consider a new HDD. A fresh install seems to be
    indicated. Too bad that can be problematic too. Do you have your
    ProductKey...?...

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    ProductKey "12345-12345-12345-12345-12345"

    (1) "START button, Run, RegEdit"
    (2) Click plus signs beginning at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", & ending with
    "Windows".
    (3) Click "CurrentVersion" in the left pane under "Windows".
    (4) Look in right pane for ProductKey.

    That is the one that was used to install your current Windows. Jot it
    down, as it may work if different from the one on your Windows 98 Manual
    or CD case.

    Perhaps try all that in Safe Mode. Hold F5 or CTRL as you boot to get
    there, or turn on the Startup Menu at "START button, Run, MSConfig,
    Advanced button".

    ......Quote..........
    ....snip...
    If the system is not working, start the computer with a floppy startup
    disk.

    At the A: prompt, type: C:\Windows\Command\Find /N "ProductKey"
    C:\Windows\System.dat

    (Note: ProductKey must be typed in upper and lower case letters as
    shown
    and there is a space after: "Find" after: "/N" and after:
    "ProductKey"

    If the hard drive has been formatted or replaced, US customers can
    contact
    Microsoft at: 1 800 642-7676. They will issue retail and OEM product
    keys
    after verifying data located on the W98 CD.

    I suggest writing the ProductKey on the CD with a Sharpie marker.
    ***********
    ....snip...
    --
    Regards
    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98

    --
    message news:64F09428-F265-4E67-AB1E-CF788F3F9C3A@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    | > message news:539C57E7-55E5-48FA-B97A-E752CF595E90@microsoft.com...
    | > | Scanning my harddisk under standard with error fixing uncheck, it
    | > gives me
    | > | the following message, quote
    | > | c:\prog files\common files\Adobe\Media Browser\PLL
    | > | c:\prog files\common files\Adobe\Media Browser
    | > | A crisslink occurs when 2 or more files use the same cluster at
    the
    | > same
    | > | time. Except in unusual circumstances, the data in the crosslink
    | > custers is
    | > | correct for only 1 of the files.
    | > | 1/Give each file a separate copy of the shared cluster
    | > | 2/ Delete all affected files
    | > | 3/ Truncate all files at the point of the crosslink
    | > | 4/ Keep selected files and delete the othres
    | > | 5/ Keep selected files and truncated the others
    | > | 6/ Ignore the error and continue. ....unquote
    | > |
    | > | When I choose the first option, and restart, it also cannot
    finish
    | > the scan
    | > | but it gives me 2 files of the same name now, which is
    | > | c:\prog files\common files\Adobe\Media Browser\PLL
    | > |
    | > | Reading from other postings, I have done the following:- delete
    TIF,
    | > History
    | > | and in my msconfig, General and selectve setup, setup tag- only
    have
    | > 5 files
    | > | checked
    | > | Load power profile (2), System tray, Task monitor and Scanregistry
    | > |
    | > | What must I do as when I scan using the "thorough" and
    automatically
    | > fix
    | > | errors check, it also stop scanning after a while. My pc is an old
    | > Packard
    | > | bell with 64 mb

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 07:07:12 -0700, "sabrinaputeri"

    >I am running the scandisk again and it got pass the 17% mark and then to 95%
    >and drop back to usually 86/87% mark and goes up to 95% mark and back again.
    >Sometimes it will have this message "Scandisk is searching drice c for more
    >cross link clusters"
    >Is there any hope in running the scandisk on. Its has been on the about 45
    >minutes or must I do a fresh installation?

    >I have not run the diagnostic test of the hd disk yet, thanks

    The first priority is to verify your RAM is OK, then get your data
    off; then verify the hard drive hardware is OK, then address the file
    system. Do those in the wrong order, and you'll get nothing right.

    It sounds as if you have profound file system corruption. Unless you
    know why (habitual bad exits, for example, or you're overclocking),
    you should not assume your RAM, motherboard capacitors, etc. are OK.

    To check motherboard capacitors, look at them to see if they are
    bulging or leaking.

    To check RAM, download and boot MemTest86 or SIMMtester (both free
    downloads that make boot disks). Test overnight; any errors = Bad

    To check HD, use vendor's diagnostics, or find and download HD-Tune
    (shows temperature, S.M.A.R.T., plus does surface check).

    Don't run Windows until you know all of the above are OK, because
    Windows *always* drools on the HD C: volume.

    See http://cquirke.mvps.org/pccrisis.htm

    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    Select to delete affected files.
    Disable your antivirus.

    "sabrinaputeri" <sabrinaputeri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Scanning my harddisk under standard with error fixing uncheck, it gives me
    > the following message, quote
    > c:\prog files\common files\Adobe\Media Browser\PLL
    > c:\prog files\common files\Adobe\Media Browser
    > A crisslink occurs when 2 or more files use the same cluster at the same
    > time. Except in unusual circumstances, the data in the crosslink custers
    > is
    > correct for only 1 of the files.
    > 1/Give each file a separate copy of the shared cluster
    > 2/ Delete all affected files
    > 3/ Truncate all files at the point of the crosslink
    > 4/ Keep selected files and delete the othres
    > 5/ Keep selected files and truncated the others
    > 6/ Ignore the error and continue. ....unquote
    >
    > When I choose the first option, and restart, it also cannot finish the
    > scan
    > but it gives me 2 files of the same name now, which is
    > c:\prog files\common files\Adobe\Media Browser\PLL
    >
    > Reading from other postings, I have done the following:- delete TIF,
    > History
    > and in my msconfig, General and selectve setup, setup tag- only have 5
    > files
    > checked
    > Load power profile (2), System tray, Task monitor and Scanregistry
    >
    > What must I do as when I scan using the "thorough" and automatically fix
    > errors check, it also stop scanning after a while. My pc is an old Packard
    > bell with 64 mb

    | To check RAM, download and boot MemTest86 or SIMMtester (both free
    | downloads that make boot disks). Test overnight; any errors = Bad

    http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp RAM tester
    http://www.memtest86.com/ RAM tester

    Ah, the RAM test first! OK, then.

    --
    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote
    in message news:vjgaf119f3aormdqtu5p4cgrrk1mambr8g@4ax.com...
    | On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 07:07:12 -0700, "sabrinaputeri"
    |
    | >I am running the scandisk again and it got pass the 17% mark and then
    to 95%
    | >and drop back to usually 86/87% mark and goes up to 95% mark and back
    again.
    | >Sometimes it will have this message "Scandisk is searching drice c
    for more
    | >cross link clusters"
    | >Is there any hope in running the scandisk on. Its has been on the
    about 45
    | >minutes or must I do a fresh installation?
    |
    | >I have not run the diagnostic test of the hd disk yet, thanks
    |
    | The first priority is to verify your RAM is OK, then get your data
    | off; then verify the hard drive hardware is OK, then address the file
    | system. Do those in the wrong order, and you'll get nothing right.
    |
    | It sounds as if you have profound file system corruption. Unless you
    | know why (habitual bad exits, for example, or you're overclocking),
    | you should not assume your RAM, motherboard capacitors, etc. are OK.
    |
    | To check motherboard capacitors, look at them to see if they are
    | bulging or leaking.
    |
    | To check RAM, download and boot MemTest86 or SIMMtester (both free
    | downloads that make boot disks). Test overnight; any errors = Bad
    |
    | To check HD, use vendor's diagnostics, or find and download HD-Tune
    | (shows temperature, S.M.A.R.T., plus does surface check).
    |
    | Don't run Windows until you know all of the above are OK, because
    | Windows *always* drools on the HD C: volume.
    |
    | See http://cquirke.mvps.org/pccrisis.htm

    | The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    | in medicine is the Retrospectoscope

Windows