DVD-burner software

I just purchased a Pioneer DVR-A09XLC1 (DVD and CD burner) on ebay
(bargaindepot4) and it didn't come with any software, in fact, it didn't even
come with an invoice (that's about as naked as you can get). :-)

I haven't installed it yet and I have never had a burner.

Do I need special software (drivers) to install before I put it in my PC?
I don't plan on burning anything special at this time.
Is there some good 'free' software that I can use for 'burning'?
Since I never even had a cd burner, I can use some advice.
Also, I was thinking about installing it as a Slave on the Secondary with a
CDrom drive as the Master.
I only have one HDD connected at this time (Primary Master) and was thinking of
using another HDD as the Primary Slave.

My system:
Win98SE
AMD 2100XP
768MB SDram
Radeon 8500 128MB vid card
40x CDrom drive
120 GB Maxtor HDD
Thanks for any input.
11 answers Last reply
More about burner software

    Nuh-uh....make the burner the MASTER on the secondary, not the slave. This will
    require making the CD-ROM the slave, so you will have to change the jumper on the
    CD-ROM drive to slave.

    Cheetah CD and DVD Burning software, which I have not tried but it comes recommeded
    by another MS-MVP:
    http://www.cheetahburner.com/

    Not free, but it can be, if you can do what it says here:
    http://www.cheetahburner.com/free.html

    There are others but I have not tried them. A Google search for:
    free CD burner software
    turns up some possibilities.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > I just purchased a Pioneer DVR-A09XLC1 (DVD and CD burner) on ebay
    > (bargaindepot4) and it didn't come with any software, in fact, it didn't even
    > come with an invoice (that's about as naked as you can get). :-)
    >
    > I haven't installed it yet and I have never had a burner.
    >
    > Do I need special software (drivers) to install before I put it in my PC?
    > I don't plan on burning anything special at this time.
    > Is there some good 'free' software that I can use for 'burning'?
    > Since I never even had a cd burner, I can use some advice.
    > Also, I was thinking about installing it as a Slave on the Secondary with a
    > CDrom drive as the Master.
    > I only have one HDD connected at this time (Primary Master) and was thinking of
    > using another HDD as the Primary Slave.
    >
    > My system:
    > Win98SE
    > AMD 2100XP
    > 768MB SDram
    > Radeon 8500 128MB vid card
    > 40x CDrom drive
    > 120 GB Maxtor HDD
    > Thanks for any input.

    The "C1" version is very new.
    The A09XL is a dual layer DVD burner, +R/+RW DVD only burner (no -R/-RW), CD
    burner.
    Only the most recent burning software is capable of dual layer burning. And
    finding dual layer media that will work is difficult, and is relatively
    expensive. The remainder of its capabilities are more straightforward,
    except you're stuck with using +R/+RW DVD burning DVD media only. If
    installed without burning software, it should appear as a cdrom only. A
    better deal is the full retail product rather than the brown/white box that
    you got as the latter includes nothing else including burner software.

    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_103674852_207918120,00.html

    Not chasing you off, but a better place to ask about dual layer burners is a
    DVD related newsgroup. Not within the MS newsgroups. Always include that
    you're using 98SE as many assume you're running XP nowadays.

    > The "C1" version is very new.
    > The A09XL is a dual layer DVD burner, +R/+RW DVD only burner (no -R/-RW), CD
    > burner.
    > Only the most recent burning software is capable of dual layer burning. And
    > finding dual layer media that will work is difficult, and is relatively
    > expensive. The remainder of its capabilities are more straightforward,
    > except you're stuck with using +R/+RW DVD burning DVD media only. If
    > installed without burning software, it should appear as a cdrom only. A
    > better deal is the full retail product rather than the brown/white box that
    > you got as the latter includes nothing else including burner software.

    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_103674852_207918120,00.html

    > Not chasing you off, but a better place to ask about dual layer burners is a
    > DVD related newsgroup. Not within the MS newsgroups. Always include that
    > you're using 98SE as many assume you're running XP nowadays.

    Thanks for the input.
    Yeah, I didn't realize what I was getting into.
    You are very correct in that I should have gone retail.
    I did some searching for a DVD related NG, but didn't find one at first, so I
    stopped looking.
    I will continue that search.
    Thanks.

    > Nuh-uh....make the burner the MASTER on the secondary, not the slave. This
    will
    > require making the CD-ROM the slave, so you will have to change the jumper on
    the
    > CD-ROM drive to slave.
    >
    > Cheetah CD and DVD Burning software, which I have not tried but it comes
    recommeded
    > by another MS-MVP:
    > http://www.cheetahburner.com/
    >
    > Not free, but it can be, if you can do what it says here:
    > http://www.cheetahburner.com/free.html
    >
    > There are others but I have not tried them. A Google search for:
    > free CD burner software
    > turns up some possibilities.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Thanks for input. I will research cheetahburner more.
    Geez, a BLOG? :-)

    > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    > > The "C1" version is very new.
    > > The A09XL is a dual layer DVD burner, +R/+RW DVD only burner
    (no -R/-RW), CD
    > > burner.
    > > Only the most recent burning software is capable of dual layer burning.
    And
    > > finding dual layer media that will work is difficult, and is relatively
    > > expensive. The remainder of its capabilities are more straightforward,
    > > except you're stuck with using +R/+RW DVD burning DVD media only. If
    > > installed without burning software, it should appear as a cdrom only. A
    > > better deal is the full retail product rather than the brown/white box
    that
    > > you got as the latter includes nothing else including burner software.

    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_103674852_207918120,00.html

    > > Not chasing you off, but a better place to ask about dual layer burners
    is a
    > > DVD related newsgroup. Not within the MS newsgroups. Always include
    that
    > > you're using 98SE as many assume you're running XP nowadays.
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    > Yeah, I didn't realize what I was getting into.
    > You are very correct in that I should have gone retail.
    > I did some searching for a DVD related NG, but didn't find one at first,
    so I
    > stopped looking.
    > I will continue that search.
    > Thanks.

    I'm subscribed to newsgroups within my ISP's domain, and the
    microsoft.public newsgroups.
    You're using MS OE 6. So, you have a similar setup.

    A quick search in Google groups shows this for DVD:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/dir?q=DVD&hl=en&sel=16823695&qt_d=Directory+Search

    Some newsgroups that I used to frequent:
    alt.video.dvd
    alt.video.dvd.authoring
    alt.video.dvd.software
    alt.video.dvd.tech
    alt.video.dvdr
    These were found within my ISP's newsgroup domain.

    > I'm subscribed to newsgroups within my ISP's domain, and the
    > microsoft.public newsgroups.
    > You're using MS OE 6. So, you have a similar setup.
    >
    > A quick search in Google groups shows this for DVD:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/dir?q=DVD&hl=en&sel=16823695&qt_d=Directory+Search

    > Some newsgroups that I used to frequent:
    > alt.video.dvd
    > alt.video.dvd.authoring
    > alt.video.dvd.software
    > alt.video.dvd.tech
    > alt.video.dvdr
    > These were found within my ISP's newsgroup domain.

    Thanks, I was using the wrong search term.

    > Is there some good 'free' software that I can use for 'burning'?

    My brother uses CD Burner XP pro, and it works well for him.

    "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message news:u8rqZeqmFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > Is there some good 'free' software that I can use for 'burning'?
    >
    > My brother uses CD Burner XP pro, and it works well for him.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm using Win98SE, but I will check out CD Burner anyways.

    Try this software
    http://www.backtec.com/writecds.htm

    But do set the recording drive as secondary master.

    "Ted" <2000@xxxmsn.com> wrote in message
    > Try this software
    > http://www.backtec.com/writecds.htm
    >
    > But do set the recording drive as secondary master.

    Thanks, I did set it as the Secondary Master with a CDrom player as its Slave.
    Thanks for the link.
    I just read some specs on the Pioneer DVR-A09XL and one page said the OS
    requirements were ME,2000,and XP. I am running Win98SE and I'm not sure it will
    work on this system.
    I was just wondering if I need 'special' drivers for this device in Win98SE.
    I sent an email to PioneerElectronics asking them and I'm waiting for a reply.

    If it works in Win Me then it should work in 98.
    Otherwise get LG or Benq instead.

    > "Ted" <2000@xxxmsn.com> wrote in message
    >> Try this software
    >> http://www.backtec.com/writecds.htm
    >>
    >> But do set the recording drive as secondary master.
    >
    > Thanks, I did set it as the Secondary Master with a CDrom player as its
    > Slave.
    > Thanks for the link.
    > I just read some specs on the Pioneer DVR-A09XL and one page said the OS
    > requirements were ME,2000,and XP. I am running Win98SE and I'm not sure it
    > will
    > work on this system.
    > I was just wondering if I need 'special' drivers for this device in
    > Win98SE.
    > I sent an email to PioneerElectronics asking them and I'm waiting for a
    > reply.

Burner Software Windows