Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DVD-burner software

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:43:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I just purchased a Pioneer DVR-A09XLC1 (DVD and CD burner) on ebay
(bargaindepot4) and it didn't come with any software, in fact, it didn't even
come with an invoice (that's about as naked as you can get). :-)

I haven't installed it yet and I have never had a burner.

Do I need special software (drivers) to install before I put it in my PC?
I don't plan on burning anything special at this time.
Is there some good 'free' software that I can use for 'burning'?
Since I never even had a cd burner, I can use some advice.
Also, I was thinking about installing it as a Slave on the Secondary with a
CDrom drive as the Master.
I only have one HDD connected at this time (Primary Master) and was thinking of
using another HDD as the Primary Slave.

My system:
Win98SE
AMD 2100XP
768MB SDram
Radeon 8500 128MB vid card
40x CDrom drive
120 GB Maxtor HDD
Thanks for any input.

More about : dvd burner software

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:01:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Nuh-uh....make the burner the MASTER on the secondary, not the slave. This will
require making the CD-ROM the slave, so you will have to change the jumper on the
CD-ROM drive to slave.

Cheetah CD and DVD Burning software, which I have not tried but it comes recommeded
by another MS-MVP:
http://www.cheetahburner.com/

Not free, but it can be, if you can do what it says here:
http://www.cheetahburner.com/free.html

There are others but I have not tried them. A Google search for:
free CD burner software
turns up some possibilities.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm


"Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:GeSdnbjW_Zr6T2_fRVn-pg@comcast.com...
> I just purchased a Pioneer DVR-A09XLC1 (DVD and CD burner) on ebay
> (bargaindepot4) and it didn't come with any software, in fact, it didn't even
> come with an invoice (that's about as naked as you can get). :-)
>
> I haven't installed it yet and I have never had a burner.
>
> Do I need special software (drivers) to install before I put it in my PC?
> I don't plan on burning anything special at this time.
> Is there some good 'free' software that I can use for 'burning'?
> Since I never even had a cd burner, I can use some advice.
> Also, I was thinking about installing it as a Slave on the Secondary with a
> CDrom drive as the Master.
> I only have one HDD connected at this time (Primary Master) and was thinking of
> using another HDD as the Primary Slave.
>
> My system:
> Win98SE
> AMD 2100XP
> 768MB SDram
> Radeon 8500 128MB vid card
> 40x CDrom drive
> 120 GB Maxtor HDD
> Thanks for any input.
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 10:57:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

The "C1" version is very new.
The A09XL is a dual layer DVD burner, +R/+RW DVD only burner (no -R/-RW), CD
burner.
Only the most recent burning software is capable of dual layer burning. And
finding dual layer media that will work is difficult, and is relatively
expensive. The remainder of its capabilities are more straightforward,
except you're stuck with using +R/+RW DVD burning DVD media only. If
installed without burning software, it should appear as a cdrom only. A
better deal is the full retail product rather than the brown/white box that
you got as the latter includes nothing else including burner software.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,...

Not chasing you off, but a better place to ask about dual layer burners is a
DVD related newsgroup. Not within the MS newsgroups. Always include that
you're using 98SE as many assume you're running XP nowadays.

"Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:GeSdnbjW_Zr6T2_fRVn-pg@comcast.com...
> I just purchased a Pioneer DVR-A09XLC1 (DVD and CD burner) on ebay
> (bargaindepot4) and it didn't come with any software, in fact, it didn't
even
> come with an invoice (that's about as naked as you can get). :-)
>
> I haven't installed it yet and I have never had a burner.
>
> Do I need special software (drivers) to install before I put it in my PC?
> I don't plan on burning anything special at this time.
> Is there some good 'free' software that I can use for 'burning'?
> Since I never even had a cd burner, I can use some advice.
> Also, I was thinking about installing it as a Slave on the Secondary with
a
> CDrom drive as the Master.
> I only have one HDD connected at this time (Primary Master) and was
thinking of
> using another HDD as the Primary Slave.
>
> My system:
> Win98SE
> AMD 2100XP
> 768MB SDram
> Radeon 8500 128MB vid card
> 40x CDrom drive
> 120 GB Maxtor HDD
> Thanks for any input.
>
>
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:32:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
news:ugeTpTbmFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> The "C1" version is very new.
> The A09XL is a dual layer DVD burner, +R/+RW DVD only burner (no -R/-RW), CD
> burner.
> Only the most recent burning software is capable of dual layer burning. And
> finding dual layer media that will work is difficult, and is relatively
> expensive. The remainder of its capabilities are more straightforward,
> except you're stuck with using +R/+RW DVD burning DVD media only. If
> installed without burning software, it should appear as a cdrom only. A
> better deal is the full retail product rather than the brown/white box that
> you got as the latter includes nothing else including burner software.
>
>
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,...
>
> Not chasing you off, but a better place to ask about dual layer burners is a
> DVD related newsgroup. Not within the MS newsgroups. Always include that
> you're using 98SE as many assume you're running XP nowadays.

Thanks for the input.
Yeah, I didn't realize what I was getting into.
You are very correct in that I should have gone retail.
I did some searching for a DVD related NG, but didn't find one at first, so I
stopped looking.
I will continue that search.
Thanks.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:35:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
news:%23XZECoWmFHA.764@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Nuh-uh....make the burner the MASTER on the secondary, not the slave. This
will
> require making the CD-ROM the slave, so you will have to change the jumper on
the
> CD-ROM drive to slave.
>
> Cheetah CD and DVD Burning software, which I have not tried but it comes
recommeded
> by another MS-MVP:
> http://www.cheetahburner.com/
>
> Not free, but it can be, if you can do what it says here:
> http://www.cheetahburner.com/free.html
>
> There are others but I have not tried them. A Google search for:
> free CD burner software
> turns up some possibilities.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Thanks for input. I will research cheetahburner more.
Geez, a BLOG? :-)
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 9:19:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:Fpednb7LgOda5W7fRVn-sw@comcast.com...
>
> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
> news:ugeTpTbmFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > The "C1" version is very new.
> > The A09XL is a dual layer DVD burner, +R/+RW DVD only burner
(no -R/-RW), CD
> > burner.
> > Only the most recent burning software is capable of dual layer burning.
And
> > finding dual layer media that will work is difficult, and is relatively
> > expensive. The remainder of its capabilities are more straightforward,
> > except you're stuck with using +R/+RW DVD burning DVD media only. If
> > installed without burning software, it should appear as a cdrom only. A
> > better deal is the full retail product rather than the brown/white box
that
> > you got as the latter includes nothing else including burner software.
> >
> >
>
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,...
> >
> > Not chasing you off, but a better place to ask about dual layer burners
is a
> > DVD related newsgroup. Not within the MS newsgroups. Always include
that
> > you're using 98SE as many assume you're running XP nowadays.
>
> Thanks for the input.
> Yeah, I didn't realize what I was getting into.
> You are very correct in that I should have gone retail.
> I did some searching for a DVD related NG, but didn't find one at first,
so I
> stopped looking.
> I will continue that search.
> Thanks.
>
>

I'm subscribed to newsgroups within my ISP's domain, and the
microsoft.public newsgroups.
You're using MS OE 6. So, you have a similar setup.

A quick search in Google groups shows this for DVD:
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/dir?q=DVD&hl=en&se...

Some newsgroups that I used to frequent:
alt.video.dvd
alt.video.dvd.authoring
alt.video.dvd.software
alt.video.dvd.tech
alt.video.dvdr
These were found within my ISP's newsgroup domain.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 2:33:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
news:e9oXeBnmFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I'm subscribed to newsgroups within my ISP's domain, and the
> microsoft.public newsgroups.
> You're using MS OE 6. So, you have a similar setup.
>
> A quick search in Google groups shows this for DVD:
>
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/dir?q=DVD&hl=en&se...
>
> Some newsgroups that I used to frequent:
> alt.video.dvd
> alt.video.dvd.authoring
> alt.video.dvd.software
> alt.video.dvd.tech
> alt.video.dvdr
> These were found within my ISP's newsgroup domain.

Thanks, I was using the wrong search term.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:55:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

> Is there some good 'free' software that I can use for 'burning'?

My brother uses CD Burner XP pro, and it works well for him.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 7:52:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"jkb" <nospam> wrote in message news:u8rqZeqmFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Is there some good 'free' software that I can use for 'burning'?
>
> My brother uses CD Burner XP pro, and it works well for him.
Thanks for the reply. I'm using Win98SE, but I will check out CD Burner anyways.
August 7, 2005 2:39:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Try this software
http://www.backtec.com/writecds.htm

But do set the recording drive as secondary master.


"Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:GeSdnbjW_Zr6T2_fRVn-pg@comcast.com...
>I just purchased a Pioneer DVR-A09XLC1 (DVD and CD burner) on ebay
> (bargaindepot4) and it didn't come with any software, in fact, it didn't
> even
> come with an invoice (that's about as naked as you can get). :-)
>
> I haven't installed it yet and I have never had a burner.
>
> Do I need special software (drivers) to install before I put it in my PC?
> I don't plan on burning anything special at this time.
> Is there some good 'free' software that I can use for 'burning'?
> Since I never even had a cd burner, I can use some advice.
> Also, I was thinking about installing it as a Slave on the Secondary with
> a
> CDrom drive as the Master.
> I only have one HDD connected at this time (Primary Master) and was
> thinking of
> using another HDD as the Primary Slave.
>
> My system:
> Win98SE
> AMD 2100XP
> 768MB SDram
> Radeon 8500 128MB vid card
> 40x CDrom drive
> 120 GB Maxtor HDD
> Thanks for any input.
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 6:34:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Ted" <2000@xxxmsn.com> wrote in message
news:%23uaXIc3mFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Try this software
> http://www.backtec.com/writecds.htm
>
> But do set the recording drive as secondary master.

Thanks, I did set it as the Secondary Master with a CDrom player as its Slave.
Thanks for the link.
I just read some specs on the Pioneer DVR-A09XL and one page said the OS
requirements were ME,2000,and XP. I am running Win98SE and I'm not sure it will
work on this system.
I was just wondering if I need 'special' drivers for this device in Win98SE.
I sent an email to PioneerElectronics asking them and I'm waiting for a reply.
August 7, 2005 6:36:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

If it works in Win Me then it should work in 98.
Otherwise get LG or Benq instead.



"Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:jPidnc8CFYkW7WvfRVn-oA@comcast.com...
>
> "Ted" <2000@xxxmsn.com> wrote in message
> news:%23uaXIc3mFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Try this software
>> http://www.backtec.com/writecds.htm
>>
>> But do set the recording drive as secondary master.
>
> Thanks, I did set it as the Secondary Master with a CDrom player as its
> Slave.
> Thanks for the link.
> I just read some specs on the Pioneer DVR-A09XL and one page said the OS
> requirements were ME,2000,and XP. I am running Win98SE and I'm not sure it
> will
> work on this system.
> I was just wondering if I need 'special' drivers for this device in
> Win98SE.
> I sent an email to PioneerElectronics asking them and I'm waiting for a
> reply.
>
>
>
>
!