More about win98 bios flash

    From: "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au>

    | Hope this is not off topic here but.........
    | Have downloaded a BIOS flash update, for a Biostar m/b that is about 5 years
    | old, with an Award chip.
    | The size of the update is 74kb (released back in 2003) and is a .exe file.
    | Not being a fully fledged and competent user of DOS how do I apply this
    | update? There is no facility within the BIOS to update from there. Do I copy
    | to a floppy disk and let the computer boot? Or do I boot to a dos command
    | and run it from there? Thanks

    Most BIOS' are binary images (ROM). Some will have an extension such as BIN or ROM. You
    usually have to use an appropriate program to flash the BIOS which will recognize the ROM
    (PROM) chip of the motherboard. You would boot off a naked DOS disk (not loading CONFIG.SYS
    and AUTOEXEC.BAT) and run the BIOS Flash program that will take the binary image and write
    that image to the ROM chip. So there are usually two parts to flash a BIOS. The executable
    which flashes the BIOS and the ROM imgae file. Some may use a commandline such as;
    awdflash.exe BIOS.ROM or when you execute the BIOS updating software you have to type in
    the name of the BIOS image file.

    Newer motherboards may have a Windows (Win32) based program so that you can update the BIOS
    from within the Windows GUI. ASUS is one such company that does this.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Exactly what features or fixes are in the BIOS update, that you specifically need?
    Is there a reason you are trying to update the BIOS? Unless there is a needed
    capability in the update, there is no good reason to update it.

    Where exactly did you download the update? Did you download it from the Biostar
    support pages and is it the one specifically listed for your motherboard?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hope this is not off topic here but.........
    > Have downloaded a BIOS flash update, for a Biostar m/b that is about 5 years
    > old, with an Award chip.
    > The size of the update is 74kb (released back in 2003) and is a .exe file.
    > Not being a fully fledged and competent user of DOS how do I apply this
    > update? There is no facility within the BIOS to update from there. Do I copy
    > to a floppy disk and let the computer boot? Or do I boot to a dos command
    > and run it from there? Thanks

    Execute the file downloaded in a temp directory.
    Using windows explorer, format, full not quick, a floppy diskette. Then,
    create a system diskette from this floppy. Verify that you can boot from
    this diskette.
    Copy the results from the above directory to this floppy.
    Go get the proper "bin" file for your particular motherboard at the same
    website. Copy to this same diskette.
    Do not perform the following if bad weather is imminent or present, a
    brownout is anticipated, and if you do not have an UPS.

    Boot from the floppy.
    Type in the name of the file for flashing including the extension. After it
    opens, type in the name of the flash file including the extension. If it
    asks if you want to save your current bios indicate so, and give it a
    pertinent filename with a bin extension. Do not turn off the PC or attempt
    a reboot at anytime until it indicates that its done. Be prepared, in the
    event of bios flash failure, at a a minimum, to purchase a new, preflashed
    bios chip and prom removal tool.
    "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hope this is not off topic here but.........
    > Have downloaded a BIOS flash update, for a Biostar m/b that is about 5
    years
    > old, with an Award chip.
    > The size of the update is 74kb (released back in 2003) and is a .exe file.
    > Not being a fully fledged and competent user of DOS how do I apply this
    > update? There is no facility within the BIOS to update from there. Do I
    copy
    > to a floppy disk and let the computer boot? Or do I boot to a dos command
    > and run it from there? Thanks

    "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hope this is not off topic here but.........
    > Have downloaded a BIOS flash update, for a Biostar m/b that is about 5 years
    > old, with an Award chip.
    > The size of the update is 74kb (released back in 2003) and is a .exe file.
    > Not being a fully fledged and competent user of DOS how do I apply this
    > update? There is no facility within the BIOS to update from there. Do I copy
    > to a floppy disk and let the computer boot? Or do I boot to a dos command
    > and run it from there? Thanks

    As others have stated, the .exe file,when clicked on, should yield two files.
    One is the 'flash' program and the other is a .txt file with the flashing
    instructions.
    You will still need to dl the proper BIOS update.
    The most important thing,besides making sure that you have the proper BIOS for
    your MB, is to follow the instructions exactly and don't do it if there is a
    chance of a power interuption or surge.
    Overall, it is a very simple and quick procedure.(it still can be very damaging
    if not done properly)
    You should also make note of any special BIOS settings you have now so that you
    can re-enter them later.
    Examples your Printer Parallel Port Mode, your AGP aperture size, your Power
    Management settings, etc.

    Thanks David. From what I understand then, I can execute the exe file under
    windows to extract the image file? Then place this on a floppy and let the
    machine boot. The update I have downloaded is awardflash_826g_dos.*xe
    (being exe).

    > From: "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au>
    >
    > | Hope this is not off topic here but.........
    > | Have downloaded a BIOS flash update, for a Biostar m/b that is about 5
    > years
    > | old, with an Award chip.
    > | The size of the update is 74kb (released back in 2003) and is a .exe
    > file.
    > | Not being a fully fledged and competent user of DOS how do I apply this
    > | update? There is no facility within the BIOS to update from there. Do I
    > copy
    > | to a floppy disk and let the computer boot? Or do I boot to a dos
    > command
    > | and run it from there? Thanks
    > |

    > Most BIOS' are binary images (ROM). Some will have an extension such as
    > BIN or ROM. You
    > usually have to use an appropriate program to flash the BIOS which will
    > recognize the ROM
    > (PROM) chip of the motherboard. You would boot off a naked DOS disk (not
    > and AUTOEXEC.BAT) and run the BIOS Flash program that will take the binary
    > image and write
    > that image to the ROM chip. So there are usually two parts to flash a
    > BIOS. The executable
    > which flashes the BIOS and the ROM imgae file. Some may use a commandline
    > such as;
    > awdflash.exe BIOS.ROM or when you execute the BIOS updating software you
    > have to type in
    > the name of the BIOS image file.
    >
    > Newer motherboards may have a Windows (Win32) based program so that you
    > can update the BIOS
    > from within the Windows GUI. ASUS is one such company that does this.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    If you downloaded the file from
    http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloads.asp?model=k8vga-m , it is a
    self-extracting executable containing the flash program and instructions,
    but not the BIOS image itself. I suggest you open the file with WinZip
    and read the instructions. Please be advised that flashing the BIOS
    with the wrong image can result in a condition that is very difficult
    from which to recover.

    Ben

    "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message news:ODJrXjimFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks David. From what I understand then, I can execute the exe file under
    > windows to extract the image file? Then place this on a floppy and let the
    > machine boot. The update I have downloaded is awardflash_826g_dos.*xe
    > (being exe).

    > > From: "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au>
    > >
    > > | Hope this is not off topic here but.........
    > > | Have downloaded a BIOS flash update, for a Biostar m/b that is about 5
    > > years
    > > | old, with an Award chip.
    > > | The size of the update is 74kb (released back in 2003) and is a ..exe
    > > file.
    > > | Not being a fully fledged and competent user of DOS how do I apply this
    > > | update? There is no facility within the BIOS to update from there. Do I
    > > copy
    > > | to a floppy disk and let the computer boot? Or do I boot to a dos
    > > command
    > > | and run it from there? Thanks
    > > |

    > > Most BIOS' are binary images (ROM). Some will have an extension such as
    > > BIN or ROM. You
    > > usually have to use an appropriate program to flash the BIOS which will
    > > recognize the ROM
    > > (PROM) chip of the motherboard. You would boot off a naked DOS disk (not
    > > and AUTOEXEC.BAT) and run the BIOS Flash program that will take the binary
    > > image and write
    > > that image to the ROM chip. So there are usually two parts to flash a
    > > BIOS. The executable
    > > which flashes the BIOS and the ROM imgae file. Some may use a commandline
    > > such as;
    > > awdflash.exe BIOS.ROM or when you execute the BIOS updating software you
    > > have to type in
    > > the name of the BIOS image file.
    > >
    > > Newer motherboards may have a Windows (Win32) based program so that you
    > > can update the BIOS
    > > from within the Windows GUI. ASUS is one such company that does this.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Dave
    > > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    > > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    I would be very wary of using a BIOS update file that was not supplied with
    full installation instructions.

    If it's a self extracting archive then running the EXE will create several
    files, possibly including installation instructions. Another possibility is
    that it will create the boot floppy that runs the upgrade automatically when
    you boot to it.

    OTOH, it might be designed to be executed as part of a startup process with
    a specially prepared floppy, in which case running it from within Windows
    might have very strange, possibly dangerous, results.

    The best option might be to make more effort to find out from the download
    site exactly what you are supposed to do with this file.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > Thanks David. From what I understand then, I can execute the exe file
    > under windows to extract the image file? Then place this on a floppy and
    > let the machine boot. The update I have downloaded is
    > awardflash_826g_dos.*xe (being exe).

    The update was downloaded from Biostar's website (and it was the only one
    listed for this particular motherboard) but I did not see any installation
    instructions. Nor are there any features or fixes stated that the update
    covers
    :-(
    At present Windows does not turn off the computer, power management for the
    computer is only APM and no ACPI, I cannot seem to load any drivers for USB
    card reader (no disk was supplied with the KonicaMinolta digital camera) and
    thus I felt that the BIOS update may rectify some or all of these issues.
    I do appreciate comments to date and would look forward to any further
    assistance. Thanks

    > Exactly what features or fixes are in the BIOS update, that you
    > specifically need?
    > Is there a reason you are trying to update the BIOS? Unless there is a
    > needed
    > capability in the update, there is no good reason to update it.
    >
    > Where exactly did you download the update? Did you download it from the
    > Biostar
    > support pages and is it the one specifically listed for your motherboard?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Hope this is not off topic here but.........
    >> Have downloaded a BIOS flash update, for a Biostar m/b that is about 5
    >> years
    >> old, with an Award chip.
    >> The size of the update is 74kb (released back in 2003) and is a .exe
    >> file.
    >> Not being a fully fledged and competent user of DOS how do I apply this
    >> update? There is no facility within the BIOS to update from there. Do I
    >> copy
    >> to a floppy disk and let the computer boot? Or do I boot to a dos
    >> command
    >> and run it from there? Thanks

    Thanks for that Ben, much appreciated.

    "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
    If you downloaded the file from
    http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloads.asp?model=k8vga-m , it is a
    self-extracting executable containing the flash program and instructions,
    but not the BIOS image itself. I suggest you open the file with WinZip
    and read the instructions. Please be advised that flashing the BIOS
    with the wrong image can result in a condition that is very difficult
    from which to recover.

    Ben

    "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > Thanks David. From what I understand then, I can execute the exe file
    > under
    > windows to extract the image file? Then place this on a floppy and let the
    > machine boot. The update I have downloaded is awardflash_826g_dos.*xe
    > (being exe).

    > > From: "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au>
    > >
    > > | Hope this is not off topic here but.........
    > > | Have downloaded a BIOS flash update, for a Biostar m/b that is about 5
    > > years
    > > | old, with an Award chip.
    > > | The size of the update is 74kb (released back in 2003) and is a .exe
    > > file.
    > > | Not being a fully fledged and competent user of DOS how do I apply
    > > this
    > > | update? There is no facility within the BIOS to update from there. Do
    > > copy
    > > | to a floppy disk and let the computer boot? Or do I boot to a dos
    > > command
    > > | and run it from there? Thanks
    > > |

    > > Most BIOS' are binary images (ROM). Some will have an extension such as
    > > BIN or ROM. You
    > > usually have to use an appropriate program to flash the BIOS which will
    > > recognize the ROM
    > > (PROM) chip of the motherboard. You would boot off a naked DOS disk
    > > (not
    > > and AUTOEXEC.BAT) and run the BIOS Flash program that will take the
    > > binary
    > > image and write
    > > that image to the ROM chip. So there are usually two parts to flash a
    > > BIOS. The executable
    > > which flashes the BIOS and the ROM imgae file. Some may use a
    > > commandline
    > > such as;
    > > awdflash.exe BIOS.ROM or when you execute the BIOS updating software
    > > you
    > > have to type in
    > > the name of the BIOS image file.
    > >
    > > Newer motherboards may have a Windows (Win32) based program so that you
    > > can update the BIOS
    > > from within the Windows GUI. ASUS is one such company that does this.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Dave
    > > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    > > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Thanks Lil' Dave for those instructions, very definite and to the point and
    I can follow that. The BIOS update will be my last 'line of defence' if all
    else fails.

    > Execute the file downloaded in a temp directory.
    > Using windows explorer, format, full not quick, a floppy diskette. Then,
    > create a system diskette from this floppy. Verify that you can boot from
    > this diskette.
    > Copy the results from the above directory to this floppy.
    > Go get the proper "bin" file for your particular motherboard at the same
    > website. Copy to this same diskette.
    > Do not perform the following if bad weather is imminent or present, a
    > brownout is anticipated, and if you do not have an UPS.
    >
    > Boot from the floppy.
    > Type in the name of the file for flashing including the extension. After
    > it
    > opens, type in the name of the flash file including the extension. If it
    > asks if you want to save your current bios indicate so, and give it a
    > pertinent filename with a bin extension. Do not turn off the PC or
    > attempt
    > a reboot at anytime until it indicates that its done. Be prepared, in the
    > event of bios flash failure, at a a minimum, to purchase a new, preflashed
    > bios chip and prom removal tool.
    > "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Hope this is not off topic here but.........
    >> Have downloaded a BIOS flash update, for a Biostar m/b that is about 5
    > years
    >> old, with an Award chip.
    >> The size of the update is 74kb (released back in 2003) and is a .exe
    >> file.
    >> Not being a fully fledged and competent user of DOS how do I apply this
    >> update? There is no facility within the BIOS to update from there. Do I
    > copy
    >> to a floppy disk and let the computer boot? Or do I boot to a dos
    >> command
    >> and run it from there? Thanks

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 10:31:32 +1000, "Geoff"

    >Have downloaded a BIOS flash update, for a Biostar m/b that is about 5 years
    >old, with an Award chip.

    Why are you planning on updating the BIOS?

    Unless you have a specific reason, e.g. to confer compatibility with
    larger hard drives, I wouldn't - especially if you are not in the
    process of replacing your entire software installation (yet).

    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 14:08:28 +1000, "Geoff"

    >At present Windows does not turn off the computer, power management for the
    >computer is only APM and no ACPI,

    Are those new problems, or was it always like that?
    If new problems, then it isn't BIOS.

    >I cannot seem to load any drivers for USB card reader (no disk was
    >supplied with the KonicaMinolta digital camera)

    Win98xx doesn't have native support for USB drives, as WinME, Win2000
    and XP do. That will not change if you change the BIOS; it's an OS
    thing. Read system requirements for the camera, look for drivers at
    the site. Brace yourself for "requires Win2000 or XP".

    BIOS doesn't change subtly, so you're more likely adding a new
    variable rather than hitting the problem.

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

    Computer not turning off is a new problem since reformatting hard drive and
    re-loading Win98SE.

    I am trying to get a driver for the USB card reader.

    Will leave the BIOS alone.

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
    message news:lahaf1llinvuilt01geo608s5rp4q4r0er@4ax.com...

    From: "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au>

    | Computer not turning off is a new problem since reformatting hard drive and
    | re-loading Win98SE.
    |
    | I am trying to get a driver for the USB card reader.
    |
    | Will leave the BIOS alone.

    You need to get the USB Card Reader driver from the vendor/manufacturer.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Thanks David, have emailed the manufacturer (Datafab) for the driver. Still
    awaiting a reply.

    From: "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au>

    | Thanks David, have emailed the manufacturer (Datafab) for the driver. Still
    | awaiting a reply.

    You may be better off searching for their web site and downloading it directly.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    I looked at their site but couldn't find the device :-(

    > From: "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au>
    >
    > | Thanks David, have emailed the manufacturer (Datafab) for the driver.
    > Still
    > | awaiting a reply.
    >
    > You may be better off searching for their web site and downloading it
    > directly.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm