Finding total number of Folders and Files on C: drive

(Q#1) In the "Folders" section of Windows Explorer I right click on
"HP_Pavilion (C:)" then select "Properties". I only get information on used
space (6.89GB), free space (2.72GB) and capacity (9.61GB). There is no
information concerning the total number of ("Top level") folders (88) or the
total number of files (51,611) on the C: drive. I got the total folder and
total file information by MANUALLY counting the number of folders ("Top
level") and right clicking for properties on EACH of the (88) ("Top level")
folders. This was a lot of work. Is there an easier way to get this
information?

(Q#2) When I ran AOL's program "AOL Spyware Protection" it scanned 51,743
files which is 132 more files than I counted. I double checked my manual
counting and got the exact same results. I then ran the NoAdware v3.0
(Spybot) spyware program and it scanned 60,323 files which is 8712 files more
than I counted. What are these extra files and where are they?
36 answers Last reply
More about finding total number folders files drive

    1) Open Windows Explorer, select the C: drive in the left pane.
    Press CTRL+A, which will select all visible files and folders in the right pane.
    In the right pane, right-click any one of the selected files, and click Properties
    on the menu that appears.
    The Properties box will show you a total count of all files and folders on C:

    2) There are hidden files, that will not show up unless you set your folder options
    to show all files:
    Click Start> Settings> Folder Options> View tab, set the Hidden Files setting to
    "Show All Files", and uncheck the box for "Hide file extensions for known files
    types", then click OK.
    See here:
    http://home.mindspring.com/~glee29/images/f-opt98.jpg
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > (Q#1) In the "Folders" section of Windows Explorer I right click on
    > "HP_Pavilion (C:)" then select "Properties". I only get information on used
    > space (6.89GB), free space (2.72GB) and capacity (9.61GB). There is no
    > information concerning the total number of ("Top level") folders (88) or the
    > total number of files (51,611) on the C: drive. I got the total folder and
    > total file information by MANUALLY counting the number of folders ("Top
    > level") and right clicking for properties on EACH of the (88) ("Top level")
    > folders. This was a lot of work. Is there an easier way to get this
    > information?
    >
    > (Q#2) When I ran AOL's program "AOL Spyware Protection" it scanned 51,743
    > files which is 132 more files than I counted. I double checked my manual
    > counting and got the exact same results. I then ran the NoAdware v3.0
    > (Spybot) spyware program and it scanned 60,323 files which is 8712 files more
    > than I counted. What are these extra files and where are they?

    "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > (Q#1) In the "Folders" section of Windows Explorer I right click on
    > "HP_Pavilion (C:)" then select "Properties". I only get information on
    used
    > space (6.89GB), free space (2.72GB) and capacity (9.61GB). There is no
    > information concerning the total number of ("Top level") folders (88) or
    the
    > total number of files (51,611) on the C: drive. I got the total folder
    and
    > total file information by MANUALLY counting the number of folders ("Top
    > level") and right clicking for properties on EACH of the (88) ("Top
    level")
    > folders. This was a lot of work. Is there an easier way to get this
    > information?

    Run CHKDSK from a DOS prompt.

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

    > "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > (Q#1) In the "Folders" section of Windows Explorer I right click on
    > > "HP_Pavilion (C:)" then select "Properties". I only get information on
    > used
    > > space (6.89GB), free space (2.72GB) and capacity (9.61GB). There is no
    > > information concerning the total number of ("Top level") folders (88) or
    > the
    > > total number of files (51,611) on the C: drive.
    > > snip

    > Run CHKDSK from a DOS prompt.

    That only gives total and available disk space, in bytes. It does not give a file
    count of any kind.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    I hesitate to do it, having over 11,549 files in 772 folders, but can it
    be a file count would be provided with a "/V"...?...

    C:\>CHKDSK/?
    Checks a disk and displays a status report.

    CHKDSK [drive:][[path]filename] [/F] [/V]

    [drive:][path] Specifies the drive and directory to check.
    filename Specifies the file(s) to check for fragmentation.
    /F Fixes errors on the disk.
    /V Displays the full path and name of every file on the
    disk.

    Type CHKDSK without parameters to check the current disk.

    Instead of using CHKDSK, try using SCANDISK. SCANDISK can reliably
    detect
    and fix a much wider range of disk problems.

    C:\>CHKDSK

    CHKDSK has NOT checked this drive for errors.
    You must use SCANDISK to detect and fix errors on this drive.

    Volume P C R HARD created 06-25-2005 5:29p
    Volume Serial Number is 3843-EC05

    8,171,472 kilobytes total disk space
    6,931,204 kilobytes free

    4,096 bytes in each allocation unit
    2,042,868 total allocation units on disk
    1,732,801 available allocation units on disk

    655,360 total bytes memory
    612,608 bytes free

    Instead of using CHKDSK, try using SCANDISK. SCANDISK can reliably
    detect
    and fix a much wider range of disk problems.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > (Q#1) In the "Folders" section of Windows Explorer I right click
    on
    | > > "HP_Pavilion (C:)" then select "Properties". I only get
    information on
    | > used
    | > > space (6.89GB), free space (2.72GB) and capacity (9.61GB). There
    is no
    | > > information concerning the total number of ("Top level") folders
    (88) or
    | > the
    | > > total number of files (51,611) on the C: drive.
    | > > snip
    |
    | > Run CHKDSK from a DOS prompt.
    |
    | That only gives total and available disk space, in bytes. It does not
    give a file
    | count of any kind.
    | --
    | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Nope! No manner of "/V" seems to do a thing. It is ignored...!...

    C:\>chkdsk /v C:

    | I hesitate to do it, having over 11,549 files in 772 folders, but can
    it
    | be a file count would be provided with a "/V"...?...
    |
    | C:\>CHKDSK/?
    | Checks a disk and displays a status report.
    |
    | CHKDSK [drive:][[path]filename] [/F] [/V]
    |
    | [drive:][path] Specifies the drive and directory to check.
    | filename Specifies the file(s) to check for fragmentation.
    | /F Fixes errors on the disk.
    | /V Displays the full path and name of every file on the
    | disk.
    |
    | Type CHKDSK without parameters to check the current disk.
    |
    | Instead of using CHKDSK, try using SCANDISK. SCANDISK can reliably
    | detect
    | and fix a much wider range of disk problems.
    |

    | C:\>CHKDSK
    |
    | CHKDSK has NOT checked this drive for errors.
    | You must use SCANDISK to detect and fix errors on this drive.
    |
    | Volume P C R HARD created 06-25-2005 5:29p
    | Volume Serial Number is 3843-EC05
    |
    | 8,171,472 kilobytes total disk space
    | 6,931,204 kilobytes free
    |
    | 4,096 bytes in each allocation unit
    | 2,042,868 total allocation units on disk
    | 1,732,801 available allocation units on disk
    |
    | 655,360 total bytes memory
    | 612,608 bytes free
    |
    | Instead of using CHKDSK, try using SCANDISK. SCANDISK can reliably
    | detect
    | and fix a much wider range of disk problems.
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    | | "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
    | | >
    | | > "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | on
    | information on
    | | > used
    There
    | is no
    | (88) or
    | | > the
    | |
    | | > Run CHKDSK from a DOS prompt.
    | |
    | | That only gives total and available disk space, in bytes. It does
    not
    | give a file
    | | count of any kind.
    | | --
    | | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | |

    >> > snip
    >
    >> Run CHKDSK from a DOS prompt.
    >
    >That only gives total and available disk space, in bytes. It does not give a file
    >count of any kind.
    =====================

    Win98 CHKDSK does show files and directories.

    Jack

    > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > (Q#1) In the "Folders" section of Windows Explorer I right click on
    > > > "HP_Pavilion (C:)" then select "Properties". I only get information
    on
    > > used
    > > > space (6.89GB), free space (2.72GB) and capacity (9.61GB). There is
    no
    > > > information concerning the total number of ("Top level") folders (88)
    or
    > > the
    > > > total number of files (51,611) on the C: drive.
    > > > snip
    >
    > > Run CHKDSK from a DOS prompt.
    >
    > That only gives total and available disk space, in bytes. It does not
    give a file
    > count of any kind.

    Due respect, my friend, but I DID confirm it first,
    just to make sure that my memory did not fail me.

    1,702,395,904 bytes total disk space
    38,731,776 bytes in 198 hidden files
    13,238,272 bytes in 399 directories
    616,497,152 bytes in 6,017 user files
    1,033,928,704 bytes available on disk

    > Hugh wrote:
    > > > Run CHKDSK from a DOS prompt.

    > >Glen wrote:
    > > That only gives total and available disk space, in bytes. It does not
    > give a file
    > > count of any kind.

    > Hugh wrote:
    > Due respect, my friend, but I DID confirm it first,
    > just to make sure that my memory did not fail me.
    >
    > 1,702,395,904 bytes total disk space
    > 38,731,776 bytes in 198 hidden files
    > 13,238,272 bytes in 399 directories
    > 616,497,152 bytes in 6,017 user files
    > 1,033,928,704 bytes available on disk

    How are you running CHKDSK, Hugh? From a DOS window, or from a DOS boot? I do not
    get any files or folders listed here, on Win98SE.

    <paste>
    C:\WINDOWS>chkdsk c:

    CHKDSK has NOT checked this drive for errors.
    You must use SCANDISK to detect and fix errors on this drive.

    Volume WIN98 created 07-27-1998 10:45p
    Volume Serial Number is 3E91-C505

    2,093,338,624 bytes total disk space
    986,058,752 bytes available on disk

    4,096 bytes in each allocation unit
    511,069 total allocation units on disk
    240,737 available allocation units on disk

    655,360 total bytes memory
    623,248 bytes free

    Instead of using CHKDSK, try using SCANDISK. SCANDISK can reliably detect
    and fix a much wider range of disk problems.
    </paste>
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Same here. But, I guess it may work from a DOS boot. Some of the
    commands behave differently in True DOS.

    --

    glee wrote:
    > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
    >
    >> >Glen wrote:
    >> > That only gives total and available disk space, in bytes. It does not
    >> give a file count of any kind.
    >
    >> Hugh wrote:
    >> Due respect, my friend, but I DID confirm it first,
    >> just to make sure that my memory did not fail me.
    >>
    >> 1,702,395,904 bytes total disk space
    >> 38,731,776 bytes in 198 hidden files
    >> 13,238,272 bytes in 399 directories
    >> 616,497,152 bytes in 6,017 user files
    >> 1,033,928,704 bytes available on disk
    >
    > How are you running CHKDSK, Hugh? From a DOS window, or from a DOS
    > boot? I do not get any files or folders listed here, on Win98SE.

    W98x stock chkdsk does not give that info from either of the available DOS
    prompts, afaik, and I get the same info as you Glen.
    Unless Hugh has a different chkdsk than stock? ..I suspect Hugh's
    supporting this post from WXP or W2K. If I boot to either of those
    OS's right now gives you that info: copy/paste

    Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

    C:\WINDOWS>chkdsk
    The type of the file system is FAT32.
    Volume WXP created 5/24/2003 11:18 AM
    Volume Serial Number is <snip>
    Windows is verifying files and folders...
    File and folder verification is complete.
    Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
    7,343,408 KB total disk space.
    1,610,676 KB in 555 hidden files.
    4,064 KB in 933 folders.
    2,000,724 KB in 14,624 files.
    3,727,940 KB are available.

    4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    1,835,852 total allocation units on disk.
    931,985 allocation units available on disk.

    Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\WINDOWS>chkdsk
    The type of the file system is FAT32.
    Volume W2000 created 8/1/2002 8:40 AM
    Volume Serial Number is <snip>
    Windows is verifying files and folders...
    File and folder verification is complete.
    Windows has checked the file system and found no problem
    7,343,408 KB total disk space.
    309,752 KB in 300 hidden files.
    2,324 KB in 522 folders.
    1,226,404 KB in 9,308 files.
    5,804,924 KB are available.

    4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    1,835,852 total allocation units on disk.
    1,451,231 allocation units available on disk.

    Yeah, I admit I'm a FAT32 4K cluster junkie on everything I have :)

    Rick

    > <paste>
    > C:\WINDOWS>chkdsk c:
    >
    > CHKDSK has NOT checked this drive for errors.
    > You must use SCANDISK to detect and fix errors on this drive.
    >
    > Volume WIN98 created 07-27-1998 10:45p
    > Volume Serial Number is 3E91-C505
    >
    > 2,093,338,624 bytes total disk space
    > 986,058,752 bytes available on disk
    >
    > 4,096 bytes in each allocation unit
    > 511,069 total allocation units on disk
    > 240,737 available allocation units on disk
    >
    > 655,360 total bytes memory
    > 623,248 bytes free
    >
    > Instead of using CHKDSK, try using SCANDISK. SCANDISK can reliably
    > detect
    > and fix a much wider range of disk problems.
    > </paste>
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Nah! Same result in a direct boot to DOS in Win98SE...!...

    CHKDSK.EXE
    Loc: C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
    Size: 28.096 bytes
    Mod: Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM

    --
    | Same here. But, I guess it may work from a DOS boot. Some of the
    | commands behave differently in True DOS.
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    | | "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
    | |
    | not
    | | > give a file
    | |
    | | > Hugh wrote:
    | | > Due respect, my friend, but I DID confirm it first,
    | | > just to make sure that my memory did not fail me.
    | | >
    | | > 1,702,395,904 bytes total disk space
    | | > 38,731,776 bytes in 198 hidden files
    | | > 13,238,272 bytes in 399 directories
    | | > 616,497,152 bytes in 6,017 user files
    | | > 1,033,928,704 bytes available on disk
    | |
    | | How are you running CHKDSK, Hugh? From a DOS window, or from a DOS
    | boot? I do not
    | | get any files or folders listed here, on Win98SE.
    | |
    | | <paste>
    | | C:\WINDOWS>chkdsk c:
    | |
    | | CHKDSK has NOT checked this drive for errors.
    | | You must use SCANDISK to detect and fix errors on this drive.
    | |
    | | Volume WIN98 created 07-27-1998 10:45p
    | | Volume Serial Number is 3E91-C505
    | |
    | | 2,093,338,624 bytes total disk space
    | | 986,058,752 bytes available on disk
    | |
    | | 4,096 bytes in each allocation unit
    | | 511,069 total allocation units on disk
    | | 240,737 available allocation units on disk
    | |
    | | 655,360 total bytes memory
    | | 623,248 bytes free
    | |
    | | Instead of using CHKDSK, try using SCANDISK. SCANDISK can reliably
    | detect
    | | and fix a much wider range of disk problems.
    | | </paste>
    | | --
    | | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | |

    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    > glee wrote:
    > > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

    > >> give a file count of any kind.
    > >
    > >> Hugh wrote:
    > >> Due respect, my friend, but I DID confirm it first,
    > >> just to make sure that my memory did not fail me.
    > >>
    > >> 1,702,395,904 bytes total disk space
    > >> 38,731,776 bytes in 198 hidden files
    > >> 13,238,272 bytes in 399 directories
    > >> 616,497,152 bytes in 6,017 user files
    > >> 1,033,928,704 bytes available on disk
    > >
    > > How are you running CHKDSK, Hugh? From a DOS window, or from a DOS
    > > boot? I do not get any files or folders listed here, on Win98SE.
    >

    > W98x stock chkdsk does not give that info from either of the available DOS
    > prompts, afaik, and I get the same info as you Glen.
    > Unless Hugh has a different chkdsk than stock? ..I suspect Hugh's
    > supporting this post from WXP or W2K. If I boot to either of those
    > OS's right now gives you that info: copy/paste
    > snip

    Hi Rick,
    Yes, I know that Win2K and XP give that info from CHKDSK, but since we are all
    supposedly talking about Win98 here, I can't figure how Hugh and J. Yazel are seeing
    that type of read-out from Win98's CHKDSK. Surely they wouldn't be checking from a
    Win2k or XP system (would they??) :-o
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    That seems to clear it up, Chauvin. Thanks. (It's XP-poison related.)

    --
> [...]
    | 1,451,231 allocation units available on disk.
    | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    |
    | Yeah, I admit I'm a FAT32 4K cluster junkie on everything I have :)
    |
    | Rick
    |

    | > <paste>
    | > C:\WINDOWS>chkdsk c:
    | >
    | > CHKDSK has NOT checked this drive for errors.
    | > You must use SCANDISK to detect and fix errors on this drive.
    | >
    | > Volume WIN98 created 07-27-1998 10:45p
    | > Volume Serial Number is 3E91-C505
    | >
    | > 2,093,338,624 bytes total disk space
    | > 986,058,752 bytes available on disk
    | >
    | > 4,096 bytes in each allocation unit
    | > 511,069 total allocation units on disk
    | > 240,737 available allocation units on disk
    | >
    | > 655,360 total bytes memory
    | > 623,248 bytes free
    | >
    | > Instead of using CHKDSK, try using SCANDISK. SCANDISK can reliably
    | > detect
    | > and fix a much wider range of disk problems.

    glee wrote:
    [...]

    > Hi Rick,
    > Yes, I know that Win2K and XP give that info from CHKDSK, but since we

    Hi Glen,

    I know you do glen, I was just talking outloud to make the point I did for
    accuracy sake.

    > are all supposedly talking about Win98 here, I can't figure how Hugh and
    > J. Yazel are seeing that type of read-out from Win98's CHKDSK. Surely
    > they wouldn't be checking from a Win2k or XP system (would they??) :-o

    o:)
    I think like others do here that some support from WXP or even W2K and
    ocassionally get caught in these little nuance differences to W98x.
    It's understandable maybe they are using WXP and many don't really
    want to run 9x everyday as their main OS, but for accuracy sake it's a good
    thing to be straight about it when asked.

    Hey maybe they have a special chckdsk.exe for 9x or something ..if they do
    please let me know where I can have it too please :)

    Also speaking of accuracy in case a statistician is watching <g> ..when I
    pasted my info in from my W2K partition I had inadvertently missed during
    ctrl/c the first line of what folder I had cmd.exe in so without thinking
    clearly I just plucked that one line from my WXP listing.. ..ah, but
    accuracy knows that there is no such thing as a C:\ Windows in W2K and it
    was C:\WINNT>chkdsk that I ran it from .. heh, also as I was just looking
    at my post here I also saw something else different and that was on W2K to
    get the chkdsk info I had just happened to used cmd.exe which is the
    command prompt program for both 2K/XP and it's header info is different
    from command.com that's on both as well too ...which brings up the other
    tidbit <smile> I noticed now that when I slid over to XP I just happen to
    have used the stock command.com to key in chkdsk to get the info.. and
    that's why each of my headers are slightly different - oh well no big deal
    at all and nobody prolly would of noticed if I didn't mention it, and the
    file/folder info is the same anyway.. accuracy can be demanding can't it -
    but this paragraph has nothing to do with your point I know, which is if
    they used WXP/W2K to get that info then why not just say so for accuracy
    sake for such good techs as you all are :)

    peace
    Rick

    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
    >
    > > >Glen wrote:
    > > > That only gives total and available disk space, in bytes. It does not
    > > give a file
    > > > count of any kind.
    >
    > > Hugh wrote:
    > > Due respect, my friend, but I DID confirm it first,
    > > just to make sure that my memory did not fail me.
    > >
    > > 1,702,395,904 bytes total disk space
    > > 38,731,776 bytes in 198 hidden files
    > > 13,238,272 bytes in 399 directories
    > > 616,497,152 bytes in 6,017 user files
    > > 1,033,928,704 bytes available on disk
    >
    > How are you running CHKDSK, Hugh? From a DOS window, or from a DOS boot?
    I do not
    > get any files or folders listed here, on Win98SE.

    DOS Window, via Start > Programs > MS-DOS Prompt

    WIN98SE here also.

    PCR wrote:
    > That seems to clear it up, Chauvin. Thanks. (It's XP-poison related.)

    Hi PCR,
    I have to admit though I do love xp and 2k so no poison there, it's just
    I've been married to SE for a lot longer - but it's fun having 3 wives <vbg>

    Rick

> [...]
    >| > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    > glee wrote:
    > > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

    > >> give a file count of any kind.
    > >
    > >> Hugh wrote:
    > >> Due respect, my friend, but I DID confirm it first,
    > >> just to make sure that my memory did not fail me.
    > >>
    > >> 1,702,395,904 bytes total disk space
    > >> 38,731,776 bytes in 198 hidden files
    > >> 13,238,272 bytes in 399 directories
    > >> 616,497,152 bytes in 6,017 user files
    > >> 1,033,928,704 bytes available on disk
    > >
    > > How are you running CHKDSK, Hugh? From a DOS window, or from a DOS
    > > boot? I do not get any files or folders listed here, on Win98SE.
    >

    > W98x stock chkdsk does not give that info from either of the available DOS
    > prompts, afaik, and I get the same info as you Glen.
    > Unless Hugh has a different chkdsk than stock? ..I suspect Hugh's

    No. Don't have either of those OSs.

    WIN98SE, bog standard.

    > glee wrote:
    >
    > Hey maybe they have a special chckdsk.exe for 9x or something ..if they
    do
    > please let me know where I can have it too please :)

    CHKDSK.EXE in the Windows Command folder.

    Date Modified = Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM

    > DOS Window, via Start > Programs > MS-DOS Prompt
    >
    > WIN98SE here also.

    I can't get those either, Hugh.
    Wonder how you get that readout?
    My Chkdsk.exe:
    27.4KB [28,096 bytes], 28,672 bytes used
    Dec31,1979 ???? wonder about that one
    I showed you mine, now you have to show me yours. :-)
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Ha, ha, uhhhh... no comment!

    --
    | PCR wrote:
    | > That seems to clear it up, Chauvin. Thanks. (It's XP-poison
    related.)

    | Hi PCR,
    | I have to admit though I do love xp and 2k so no poison there, it's
    just
    | I've been married to SE for a lot longer - but it's fun having 3 wives
    <vbg>

    | Rick
    |

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

    | > does not

    DOS
    | >|
    | >|
    | >| W98x stock chkdsk does not give that info from either of the
    available
    | >| DOS prompts, afaik, and I get the same info as you Glen.
    | >| Unless Hugh has a different chkdsk than stock? ..I suspect Hugh's
    | >| supporting this post from WXP or W2K. If I boot to either of those
    | >| OS's right now gives you that info: copy/paste
    | >|
    | >| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    | >| Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
    | >| (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.
    | >|
    | >| C:\WINDOWS>chkdsk
    | >| The type of the file system is FAT32.
    | >| Volume WXP created 5/24/2003 11:18 AM
    | >| Volume Serial Number is <snip>
    | >| Windows is verifying files and folders...
    | >| File and folder verification is complete.
    | >| Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
    | >| 7,343,408 KB total disk space.
    | >| 1,610,676 KB in 555 hidden files.
    | >| 4,064 KB in 933 folders.
    | >| 2,000,724 KB in 14,624 files.
    | >| 3,727,940 KB are available.
    | >|
    | >| 4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    | >| 1,835,852 total allocation units on disk.
    | >| 931,985 allocation units available on disk.
    | >|
    | >| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    | >|
    | >| Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
    | >| (C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.
    | >|
    | >| C:\WINDOWS>chkdsk
    | >| The type of the file system is FAT32.
    | >| Volume W2000 created 8/1/2002 8:40 AM
    | >| Volume Serial Number is <snip>
    | >| Windows is verifying files and folders...
    | >| File and folder verification is complete.
    | >| Windows has checked the file system and found no problem
    | >| 7,343,408 KB total disk space.
    | >| 309,752 KB in 300 hidden files.
    | >| 2,324 KB in 522 folders.
    | >| 1,226,404 KB in 9,308 files.
    | >| 5,804,924 KB are available.
    | >|
    | >| 4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    | >| 1,835,852 total allocation units on disk.
    | >| 1,451,231 allocation units available on disk.
    | >| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    | >|
    | >| Yeah, I admit I'm a FAT32 4K cluster junkie on everything I have
    :)
    | >|
    | >| Rick
    | >|
    | >|
    | >|

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    | > glee wrote:
    | >
    | > Hey maybe they have a special chckdsk.exe for 9x or something ..if
    they
    | do
    | > please let me know where I can have it too please :)
    |
    | CHKDSK.EXE in the Windows Command folder.
    |
    | Date Modified = Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM

    MINE WON'T do that in Win98SE, EVEN using all manner of "C:" & "/v" AND
    whether in Windows DOS or in True DOS...!...

[...]

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Certainly not doing what you report, here:

    C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND>chkdsk

    CHKDSK has NOT checked this drive for errors.
    You must use SCANDISK to detect and fix errors on this drive.

    Volume WIN98 created 07-27-1998 10:45p
    Volume Serial Number is 3E91-C505

    2,093,338,624 bytes total disk space
    985,960,448 bytes available on disk

    4,096 bytes in each allocation unit
    511,069 total allocation units on disk
    240,713 available allocation units on disk

    655,360 total bytes memory
    623,248 bytes free

    Instead of using CHKDSK, try using SCANDISK. SCANDISK can reliably detect
    and fix a much wider range of disk problems.

    C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND>

    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

    > > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

    > > > give a file
    > >
    > > > Hugh wrote:
    > > > Due respect, my friend, but I DID confirm it first,
    > > > just to make sure that my memory did not fail me.
    > > >
    > > > 1,702,395,904 bytes total disk space
    > > > 38,731,776 bytes in 198 hidden files
    > > > 13,238,272 bytes in 399 directories
    > > > 616,497,152 bytes in 6,017 user files
    > > > 1,033,928,704 bytes available on disk
    > >
    > > How are you running CHKDSK, Hugh? From a DOS window, or from a DOS boot?
    > I do not
    > > get any files or folders listed here, on Win98SE.
    >
    > DOS Window, via Start > Programs > MS-DOS Prompt
    >
    > WIN98SE here also.

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >> glee wrote:
    >>
    >> Hey maybe they have a special chckdsk.exe for 9x or something ..if
    >> they do please let me know where I can have it too please :)
    >
    > CHKDSK.EXE in the Windows Command folder.
    >
    > Date Modified = Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM

    Yes that's the exact date, time, info, and location, but a stock W98SE
    chkdsk does not give that information and so I'm interested in what you
    have different then. As PCR says it's 28.096 bytes here too - how about
    yours Hugh?

    It doesn't matter if it's run from anywhere in any partition or any folder
    anywhere on W98SE and it always gives the same information, whether
    run from Windows or rebooted to a DOS prompt.

    Either you have done something unique - or just funin' a spoof <g>
    ...please do tell.

    Rick
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Rick Chauvin wrote:

    [...]

    > Either you have done something unique - or just funin' a spoof <g>
    > ..please do tell.

    ...take a picture of your screen Hugh k and up it to imageshack.
    ...here's mine.
    http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/128/98dosse4jm.jpg

    > Rick
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    > >> glee wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Hey maybe they have a special chckdsk.exe for 9x or something ..if
    > >> they do please let me know where I can have it too please :)
    > >
    > > CHKDSK.EXE in the Windows Command folder.
    > >
    > > Date Modified = Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM
    >
    > Yes that's the exact date, time, info, and location, but a stock W98SE
    > chkdsk does not give that information and so I'm interested in what you
    > have different then.

    Nothing. I repeat, it is bog standard.

    > It doesn't matter if it's run from anywhere in any partition or any folder
    > anywhere on W98SE and it always gives the same information, whether
    > run from Windows or rebooted to a DOS prompt.
    >
    > Either you have done something unique - or just funin' a spoof <g>
    > ..please do tell.

    I would NEVER do that. I pasted the EXACT result from CHKDSK.

    Please don't EVER imply that again.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Certainly not doing what you report, here:

    When I get the chance, I'll replace the current CHKDSK
    using the version on the WIN98SE CD
    to see if that makes a difference.

    I will remind you, though, that I am not the only one
    who reported that CHKDSK listed Number of files.

    Nor would I expect to be. Whatever I have,
    there must be tens of thousands, if not millions,
    of people with the same DOS files on their PC.

    I don't know what else to say.

    .
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Just in case anyone has come late to this thread, has sampled
    the later responses, and has concluded that getting the
    information is really difficult, involving careful use of
    CHKDSK under the right conditions, someone (me) should point
    out that way, way back, someone else (whose name escapes me)
    gave a simple solution: open My Computer, open C:, select
    all, right click _anything_, click properties and watch the
    information develop.
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    That was Glee way back then, before Candlin started making us all go
    batty JUST for more company in his "institution"...

    Note he also said to be sure to...
    "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"
    Bolt "Show all files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions..."

    --
    "Anthony Buckland" <buckland@direct.ca> wrote in message
    | Just in case anyone has come late to this thread, has sampled
    | the later responses, and has concluded that getting the
    | information is really difficult, involving careful use of
    | CHKDSK under the right conditions, someone (me) should point
    | out that way, way back, someone else (whose name escapes me)
    | gave a simple solution: open My Computer, open C:, select
    | all, right click _anything_, click properties and watch the
    | information develop.

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > > Certainly not doing what you report, here:
    > >
    > When I get the chance, I'll replace the current CHKDSK
    > using the version on the WIN98SE CD
    > to see if that makes a difference.
    >
    > I will remind you, though, that I am not the only one
    > who reported that CHKDSK listed Number of files.
    >
    > Nor would I expect to be. Whatever I have,
    > there must be tens of thousands, if not millions,
    > of people with the same DOS files on their PC.
    >
    > I don't know what else to say.
    >
    > .

    Well, a can of worms can be interesting, Hugh. ;-) Enquiring minds want to know,
    and all that.... I am really curious what is causing the difference in our
    read-outs, as we are apparently using the same version of the chkdsk file, and are
    apparently running the same command in a DOS window. It certainly is strange. I am
    going to ask around and see if anyone else I know is getting the output I am, or the
    output you are. I will also play with some different versions of chkdsk and see
    what happens. Something odd going on and I can't figure what or where. <scratches
    head>
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    <raises hand> Yes, that was me, way back when. We are off on a tangent now, though
    a curious one.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Anthony Buckland" <buckland@direct.ca> wrote in message
    > Just in case anyone has come late to this thread, has sampled
    > the later responses, and has concluded that getting the
    > information is really difficult, involving careful use of
    > CHKDSK under the right conditions, someone (me) should point
    > out that way, way back, someone else (whose name escapes me)
    > gave a simple solution: open My Computer, open C:, select
    > all, right click _anything_, click properties and watch the
    > information develop.

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >> Hugh Candlin wrote:
    >> > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

    >> > CHKDSK.EXE in the Windows Command folder.
    >> >
    >> > Date Modified = Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM
    >>
    >> Yes that's the exact date, time, info, and location, but a stock W98SE
    >> chkdsk does not give that information and so I'm interested in what you
    >> have different then.
    >
    > Nothing. I repeat, it is bog standard.
    >>
    >> It doesn't matter if it's run from anywhere in any partition or any
    >> folder anywhere on W98SE and it always gives the same information,
    >> whether
    >> run from Windows or rebooted to a DOS prompt.
    >>
    >> Either you have done something unique - or just funin' a spoof <g>
    >> ..please do tell.
    >
    > I would NEVER do that. I pasted the EXACT result from CHKDSK.
    >
    > Please don't EVER imply that again.

    No need for Cap letters Hugh because I certainly meant no harm, and was
    just asking what you had done something unique to your system to do that,
    or if by chance maybe you were kidding with the others of which I would of
    had no idea. Anyway, your chkdsk information is interesting.
    Perhaps you would upload your chkdsk.exe here http://rapidshare.de ..it's
    free, and then post the link you get to download it back for us and that
    way we can play with it to see what we get and check HEX for a difference;
    otherwise there has to be some other file/s involved with getting that
    information for chkdsk where then perhaps it's those that are giving you
    the extra capability.

    Rick
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Well, a can of worms can be interesting, Hugh. ;-) Enquiring minds want
    to know,
    > and all that.... I am really curious what is causing the difference in
    our
    > read-outs, as we are apparently using the same version of the chkdsk file,
    and are
    > apparently running the same command in a DOS window. It certainly is
    strange. I am
    > going to ask around and see if anyone else I know is getting the output I
    am, or the
    > output you are. I will also play with some different versions of chkdsk
    and see
    > what happens. Something odd going on and I can't figure what or where.
    <scratches
    > head>

    Latest development.

    I have been able to make the same CHKDSK module
    produce different results on two different machines.

    I went to another WIN98SE machine,
    renamed CHKDSK.EXE to OLD_CHKDSK.EXE,
    and sneaker-netted my copy of CHKDSK.EXE
    onto the other WIN98SE machine and tried it there.

    On the new machine, it does not produce the file count,
    so whatever the reason is that is causing the anomaly,
    it is not directly related to the CHKDSK.EXE program itself.

    The most obvious difference between the 2 computers is
    that the first one, which gives the file count, has a 40GB drive,
    partitioned equally, 5 * 8GB.

    The second machine, which does not give the file count.
    has a single-partition 45 GB drive.

    I don't know if that is a factor or not. I'll play with it some more.
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > The most obvious difference between the 2 computers is
    > that the first one, which gives the file count, has a 40GB drive,
    > partitioned equally, 5 * 8GB.

    Correction.

    The first machine has a 6.8 GB drive,
    partioned equally 4 * 1.7 GB.
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "glee" wrote:

    > 1) Open Windows Explorer, select the C: drive in the left pane.
    > Press CTRL+A, which will select all visible files and folders in the right pane.
    > In the right pane, right-click any one of the selected files, and click Properties
    > on the menu that appears.
    > The Properties box will show you a total count of all files and folders on C:
    >
    > 2) There are hidden files, that will not show up unless you set your folder options
    > to show all files:
    > Click Start> Settings> Folder Options> View tab, set the Hidden Files setting to
    > "Show All Files", and uncheck the box for "Hide file extensions for known files
    > types", then click OK.
    > See here:
    > http://home.mindspring.com/~glee29/images/f-opt98.jpg
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > (Q#1) In the "Folders" section of Windows Explorer I right click on
    > > "HP_Pavilion (C:)" then select "Properties". I only get information on used
    > > space (6.89GB), free space (2.72GB) and capacity (9.61GB). There is no
    > > information concerning the total number of ("Top level") folders (88) or the
    > > total number of files (51,611) on the C: drive. I got the total folder and
    > > total file information by MANUALLY counting the number of folders ("Top
    > > level") and right clicking for properties on EACH of the (88) ("Top level")
    > > folders. This was a lot of work. Is there an easier way to get this
    > > information?
    > >
    > > (Q#2) When I ran AOL's program "AOL Spyware Protection" it scanned 51,743
    > > files which is 132 more files than I counted. I double checked my manual
    > > counting and got the exact same results. I then ran the NoAdware v3.0
    > > (Spybot) spyware program and it scanned 60,323 files which is 8712 files more
    > > than I counted. What are these extra files and where are they?

    Glee:
    Your Windows Explorer approach worked fine in Windows 98 First Edition. It
    revealed that I have 52,371 files including hidden files in 2883 folders.

    I also discovered that the MSDOS command C:\dir/s would reveal the total
    number of non-hidden files (48,626 files in 8,217 dir(s)). Also, the MSDOS
    command C:\dir/s/ah revealed the total number of hidden files (510 files in
    20 dir(s)). The results were the same from either the MSDOS Prompt Windows
    shortcut or from booting up under MSDOS. Why does Windows Explorer show
    52,371 files while MSDOS shows 49,136 (48,626 + 510 = 49,136) files? Note,
    running a full scan using the program "AOL Spyware Protection" reveals that
    it scanned 52,371 files, the same number as the Windows Explorer approach.

    Thanks for the hint.

    Paul Rumbaugh
    PSRumbaugh@aol.com
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Paul,
    When you use DIR /s you get an output of all files EXCEPT hidden files *and* system
    files.
    When you use DIR /s /ah you are getting only the hidden files, but not the system
    files.

    Just use: DIR /s /a
    When you use the /a switch without specifying attributes, DIR displays all files,
    *including* hidden and system files.

    Windows Explorer will list all files regardless of attributes when you select all
    and right-click> choose Properties, as long as you have your Explorer View settings
    at "Show All Files" (Start> Settings> Folder Options> View tab)

    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > 1) Open Windows Explorer, select the C: drive in the left pane.
    > > Press CTRL+A, which will select all visible files and folders in the right pane.
    > > In the right pane, right-click any one of the selected files, and click
    Properties
    > > on the menu that appears.
    > > The Properties box will show you a total count of all files and folders on C:
    > >
    > > 2) There are hidden files, that will not show up unless you set your folder
    options
    > > to show all files:
    > > Click Start> Settings> Folder Options> View tab, set the Hidden Files setting to
    > > "Show All Files", and uncheck the box for "Hide file extensions for known files
    > > types", then click OK.
    > > See here:
    > > http://home.mindspring.com/~glee29/images/f-opt98.jpg
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > (Q#1) In the "Folders" section of Windows Explorer I right click on
    > > > "HP_Pavilion (C:)" then select "Properties". I only get information on used
    > > > space (6.89GB), free space (2.72GB) and capacity (9.61GB). There is no
    > > > information concerning the total number of ("Top level") folders (88) or the
    > > > total number of files (51,611) on the C: drive. I got the total folder and
    > > > total file information by MANUALLY counting the number of folders ("Top
    > > > level") and right clicking for properties on EACH of the (88) ("Top level")
    > > > folders. This was a lot of work. Is there an easier way to get this
    > > > information?
    > > >
    > > > (Q#2) When I ran AOL's program "AOL Spyware Protection" it scanned 51,743
    > > > files which is 132 more files than I counted. I double checked my manual
    > > > counting and got the exact same results. I then ran the NoAdware v3.0
    > > > (Spybot) spyware program and it scanned 60,323 files which is 8712 files more
    > > > than I counted. What are these extra files and where are they?
    > >

    > Glee:
    > Your Windows Explorer approach worked fine in Windows 98 First Edition. It
    > revealed that I have 52,371 files including hidden files in 2883 folders.
    >
    > I also discovered that the MSDOS command C:\dir/s would reveal the total
    > number of non-hidden files (48,626 files in 8,217 dir(s)). Also, the MSDOS
    > command C:\dir/s/ah revealed the total number of hidden files (510 files in
    > 20 dir(s)). The results were the same from either the MSDOS Prompt Windows
    > shortcut or from booting up under MSDOS. Why does Windows Explorer show
    > 52,371 files while MSDOS shows 49,136 (48,626 + 510 = 49,136) files? Note,
    > running a full scan using the program "AOL Spyware Protection" reveals that
    > it scanned 52,371 files, the same number as the Windows Explorer approach.
    >
    > Thanks for the hint.
    >
    > Paul Rumbaugh
    > PSRumbaugh@aol.com
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | Just use: DIR /s /a
    | When you use the /a switch without specifying attributes, DIR displays
    all
    | files, *including* hidden and system files.

    That's true, EXCEPT it drove me batty one day to discover "/s /a" will
    not cross the barrier of a Hidden OR a System FOLDER. Thus...

    C:\>dir system.sav /s /a
    ....snip...
    Directory of C:\system.sav\WINDOWS\TASKS
    DESKTOP INI 65 04-23-99 10:22p DESKTOP.INI
    1 file(s) 65 bytes
    Total files listed:
    105 file(s) 3,974,332 bytes
    107 dir(s) 6,769.41 MB free

    ....shows TASKS & counts it's file, but will not do so if TASKS is made
    Hidden or System...

    C:\>attrib +s C:\system.sav\WINDOWS\TASKS
    C:\>dir system.sav /s /a
    ....snip...
    Total files listed:
    104 file(s) 3,974,267 bytes
    105 dir(s) 6,769.41 MB free

    --
> [...]
    folders.

    | > I also discovered that the MSDOS command C:\dir/s would reveal the
    total
    | > number of non-hidden files (48,626 files in 8,217 dir(s)). Also,
    the MSDOS
    | > command C:\dir/s/ah revealed the total number of hidden files (510
    files in
    | > 20 dir(s)). The results were the same from either the MSDOS Prompt
    Windows
    | > shortcut or from booting up under MSDOS. Why does Windows Explorer
    show
    | > 52,371 files while MSDOS shows 49,136 (48,626 + 510 = 49,136) files?
    Note,
    | > running a full scan using the program "AOL Spyware Protection"
    reveals that
    | > it scanned 52,371 files, the same number as the Windows Explorer

Windows