IP phones

Last response: in Networking
November 1, 2004 5:31:05 AM

Hi guys,

I plan to do a thesis on Voice over IP and am thinking about how I can go
about implementing an IP phone using a standard telephone. This would be
connected of course through a rj11 convertor and connected to a microchip
that would be then connected to a broadband connection via ethernet. I'm
trying to eliminate the use of the pc in this case.

Can someone give me some feedback as to whether or not it would be feasible
to implement it and/or some info/links as to where i can get some more info
on this please?

Also, if anyone knows of any thesis in relation to this for me to look at, I
would appreciate it alot.

Thanks,

Shane

More about : phones

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 6:26:55 AM

http://sipphone.com/adapters/
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=49550...
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=47507...
http://www.callback4u.com/voice-over-ip/hardware.htm
http://www.voip-news.com/prod.htm

"Starky Smith" <emailmenow@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> I plan to do a thesis on Voice over IP and am thinking about how I can go
> about implementing an IP phone using a standard telephone. This would be
> connected of course through a rj11 convertor and connected to a microchip
> that would be then connected to a broadband connection via ethernet. I'm
> trying to eliminate the use of the pc in this case.
>
> Can someone give me some feedback as to whether or not it would be
feasible
> to implement it and/or some info/links as to where i can get some more
info
> on this please?
>
> Also, if anyone knows of any thesis in relation to this for me to look at,
> would appreciate it alot.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shane

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 1:38:32 PM

"Starky Smith" <emailmenow@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> I plan to do a thesis on Voice over IP and am thinking about how I can
> go
> about implementing an IP phone using a standard telephone. This would
> be
> connected of course through a rj11 convertor and connected to a
> microchip
> that would be then connected to a broadband connection via ethernet.
> I'm
> trying to eliminate the use of the pc in this case.
>
> Can someone give me some feedback as to whether or not it would be
> feasible
> to implement it and/or some info/links as to where i can get some more
> info
> on this please?
>
> Also, if anyone knows of any thesis in relation to this for me to look
> at, I
> would appreciate it alot.

I use a Grandstream ATA-486 (www.grandstream.com) - plugs directly into a
router or ADSL modem.