Securing Windows98

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
August 7, 2005 2:59:02 PM

I need to know how to prevent others from installing unnecessary programs and
changing the desktop setting on a computer that lots of people have to use.

More about : securing windows98

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 7:57:37 PM

"Davy" <Davy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I need to know how to prevent others from installing unnecessary programs
and
> changing the desktop setting on a computer that lots of people have to
use.

Win98 has no such provisions. You will have to use
third-party software or else an operating system that
enables this feature.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Davy wrote:
> I need to know how to prevent others from installing unnecessary programs and
> changing the desktop setting on a computer that lots of people have to use.

What's your definition of "use"? If you can constrain the usagae to a
limited number of activities, you might be able to do something with
kiosk mode in IE. Google is your friend.

Or run live knoppix from the cd.
I've heard rumors of a live win98, but never seen one run.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
August 7, 2005 9:14:02 PM

mike wrote:
> Davy wrote:
>
>> I need to know how to prevent others from installing unnecessary
>> programs and changing the desktop setting on a computer that lots of
>> people have to use.
>

> What's your definition of "use"? If you can constrain the usage to a
> limited number of activities, you might be able to do something with
> kiosk mode in IE. Google is your friend.
>
> Or run live knoppix from the cd.
> I've heard rumors of a live win98, but never seen one run.

Bart's PE comes to mind

> mike

I have a program called "nagblast" that continuously monitors window
titles and gives you the option to terminate them with prejudice.
Alas, it only works in the browser. But shouldn't be hard to write a
similar background program to terminate blacklisted programs...
and recalcitrant employees!
Nothing like a good old firing to make the remaining people toe the line.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
August 7, 2005 9:32:04 PM

In theory you can use the Policy Editor to lock down Windows 98 to some
extent but not to the extent you want to. In practice you need an operating
system like Windows 2000 or Windows XP, or some other solution like wiping
the computer and restoring it to a known-good state.

!