4800 X2 vs. FX-60 vs. Dual Opty 280's ??

Just saying that money is no object in the decision;
What do you think would make a better gaming PC (running say 3 instances of World of Warcraft at the SAME TIME):

A single 4800 X2 or FX-60 on an Asus A8n32-SLI mb
OR
Two Opty 280's on the Tyan S2881UG2NR mb

Both systems will have 4GB RAM and running XFX geForce 7900 GTX's in SLI.
26 answers Last reply
More about 4800 dual opty
  1. well, BENCH THEM!! :)
  2. Quote:
    What do you think would make a better gaming PC (running say 3 instances of World of Warcraft at the SAME TIME):

OR

2 x 280 = 4 cores. 4800 or FX60 = 2 cores. 280 will hold 16 GB RAM. FX60 will hold 4GB RAM. Do the math
  3. Quote:

OR

2 x 280 = 4 cores. 4800 or FX60 = 2 cores. 280 will hold 16 GB RAM. FX60 will hold 4GB RAM. Do the math

Dunno if the current mobo's OC as well as the mobo's for Opteron165-180/AMD-FX/X2.. but don't think 2x 280's will OC massively to achieve higher FPS
  4. S2881UG2NR has no PCI/e slots FYI........................
  5. Quote:
    S2881UG2NR has no PCI/e slots FYI........................

Servers aren't usually used for playing games. Get the 4800+ to save some $$$.

Does anybody know if there's a way to bypass the new Windows update? The "genuine advantage" thing kept harassing me about my pirated copy of Windows and offering to sell me a registration key, so I just did a system restore to the day before it installed. The auto update icon is back in my taskbar now, and I really don't want the update.
  6. Quote:

I'm sorry. I posted the wrong MB model number. Doh !!
    Here is the correct model number and a link.

Tyan Tiger K8WE (S2877G2NR)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813151158
    http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigerk8we_spec.html

As you see, this board uses the nForce 4 Pro chipset and does have PCI-E slots.

So, now that I have corrected the MB info, what do you think?

Looking at benches, the 4800 either outperforms or just barely underperforms the FX-60 in gaming performance. But I can't find any compairison benches using Opties.

Since the above listed Tyan board uses the NF4 chipset and PCI-E slots, it would seem that droping two Opty 280's on it would out perform a single FX-60 or 4800.

But we all know how that "it should..." goes when dealing with PC components.
  7. Quote:
    Looking at benches, the 4800 either outperforms or just barely underperforms the FX-60 in gaming performance.
    That makes no sense; an FX60 is simply an X2 4800+ clocked higher.
  8. Quote:

Looking at benches, the 4800 either outperforms or just barely underperforms the FX-60 in gaming performance. But I can't find any compairison benches using Opties.

Since the above listed Tyan board uses the NF4 chipset and PCI-E slots, it would seem that droping two Opty 280's on it would out perform a single FX-60 or 4800.

Did you notice?

Two x16 PCI Express slot (one with x16 signals and one with x4 signals)
  9. Use Sygate Personal Firewall, not that you should be using pirated Windows anyway. It's not expensive, and certainly not worth pirating.
  10. Quote:
    Use Sygate Personal Firewall, not that you should be using pirated Windows anyway. It's not expensive, and certainly not worth pirating.

My computer used to be an HP, but then the board and CPU fried. It didn't come with a WIndows XP CD, and I wasn't about to spend $150 for one. I can get all of the updates via AutoUpdate; this time I just don't want the update.
  11. Quote:

Did you notice?

Two x16 PCI Express slot (one with x16 signals and one with x4 signals)

They're not the kind for graphics cards. If you want an Opty, get a s939 one because they don't need ECC RAM, and you can get an SLI board. I'd just recommend the 4800+, though
  12. Normally I would agree, but in the original post it was stated that money would be no concern. In that case, FX-60 all the way!
  13. Quote:

Gawd... just the tyan mainboard and 2 Italy CPUs is about a lil over 2k. Performance wise would be interesting to see, but I think the cost out weighs allot comparing it to a X2 4800+ or even the FX60.
  14. A-greed!
  15. If money is no object and you want the best gaming rig why don't you buy a Quad SLI system?
  16. I would personally buy 2 275's. 4 gig's of ram like you said. 1x gigabyte I-RAM with 4gig's of RAM for your pagefile. 2x150gig raptors for RAID because RAID will make a huge difference and reduce thrashing between the apps. Top it off with a nice Antec server case and some throaty fan's and a couple of 7900GTX's running in SLI.
    Might just be me though........ 8O
  17. I'd pick the X2 4800+ for it's lower price than FX60 and performs just as close.
  18. A Conroe 2.66G OC'd to 3.33Ghz!
    :-)
  19. Quote:
    A Conroe 2.66G OC'd to 3.33Ghz!
    :-)

A Conroe overclocked so much that you could actually buy it and a supporting motherboard!
  20. Quote:
    I would personally buy 2 275's. 4 gig's of ram like you said. 1x gigabyte I-RAM with 4gig's of RAM for your pagefile. 2x150gig raptors for RAID because RAID will make a huge difference and reduce thrashing between the apps. Top it off with a nice Antec server case and some throaty fan's and a couple of 7900GTX's running in SLI.
    Might just be me though........ 8O

I like the I-RAM idea. I think I will look into availability on that.

See, here is the whole deal;

I live in Knoxville, TN, home to the University of Tennessee (UT Volunteers, for you sports fans). The other day this guy comes walking in my shop saying that he wants me to custom build him the biggest, baddest gaming rig I can possibly build, and although money was no object, he told me not to go over $20,000. (no, that is not a typo, that number is TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!) All he wants it for is,
    1) braging rights at the collage
    2) he is a World of Warcraft GM, so wants it for gaming performance

Now, you could tell by the way he was dressed, talked and moved that he was one of those rich collage kids where "Mommy and Daddy" give him everything he wants. Hell, he was driving a brand new convertable Mersadies Benz.

Anyways, I have built high end systems and laptops for years..and I specialize in custom case mods and paint. But this just floored me.

So, since I have a once in a lifetime opportunity here, I wanted to do just what he asked, build the "biggest, baddest gaming rig I can possibly build".

I already know that the CPU is going to be cooled by a Promesia Mach II GT (for some MONSTER OC'ing), and the NBC and both GPU's will be watercooled.
    Other than that, the only stuff I have already desided on for it is this:
    two eVga 7900 GTX Super-clocked, 512mb PCI-E GPU's
    X-FI Fatality sound card
    four 150Gb WD 10K Raptors (RAID 0+1)
    one 300Gb WD HDD for storage
    PC Power and Cooling 1K power supply
    Peltier/water combo cooling on the NBC and both GPU's
    Lian-Li PC-70 case
    CrystalFontz 635 LCD single bay readout
    4Gb (4x1Gb) OCZ Platinum Ed. DDR500 (3-3-2-8)
    (and newly added) I-RAM w/ 4Gb RAM

Now, before anyone jumps in screaming "Intel", his only real stipulation was that he definatly wanted an AMD based system.

So, this is the reason I am curious how 2 Optys would do compaired to either the 4800 X2 or an FX-60.
    In any normal high-end system, based on how much the build buget was, I would choose either the 4800 or FX-60. But since I have an almost unlimited amount of money, I was looking at a dual-dual-core setup. I may even try looking for a good dual 939 MB and drop dual FX-60's on it.
    I just don't know. This situation has obviously never come up, so I have never had a reason to research it. And since this is such an "out-there" system, no one online has ever tried benching these kind of systems against eachother. So I am kind of on my own, and looking for help from some of my forums I normally ghost.

Anyways, there is my situation.
  21. 8O 20,000 bucks ?

Gawd, just build a FX60 system, and the dual opty quad, and figure it out. :lol:
  22. due ecc reg memory required by opty 280 you will have reduced performance in gamming... by now CPU processing power in this case is not the performance bottleneck ... an FX-60 or x2 4800 with DDR533 or higher will have better perfomance in gamming... another issue is if Tyan drivers support Sli well (their MB are for servers which will not use SLi usually) or not ... so for maximum gamming performance this should be important unless you will have top rig with single slot (which is really nonsense as you already spend so much to use single slot)...
    Servers MB are for reliable 24/7 high workload... they may be part of a good gamming rig but if the gammer is really top..will need more speed response than a server system can offer... so now the question... will the gammer really surpass all these configuration limits ?
  23. Quote:
    8O 20,000 bucks ?

Gawd, just build a FX60 system, and the dual opty quad, and figure it out. :lol:

LOL...I had actually considered that !!
  24. Quote:

OR

Money no object, I'd get the two opty 280's...but instead of the S2877 Tyan mobo, I'd go with the S2895...the S2895 has 2 PCI-e 16x lanes instead of one 16x and one 4x like the S2877...and the S2895 has each 16x PCI-e lane piped through seperate nForce chips rather than both PCI-e lanes through one chip, check out the block diagrams...

ECC ram aside, you can get ECC CAS2 memory to run in this mobo and all things being equal, you won't notice a huge difference between ECC CAS 2 and non-ECC CAS 2...

Also, contrary to what some have posted, you can totally use opterons and server type mobos to play games on...I'm running 2x opty 248's on a Tyan 2885 and with a BFG 6800GT OC and it games like a mofo!!!
  25. youd be better with the dfi 3200 mobo and x1900's in crossfire. it would shit on the gtx's
  26. Quote:
    8O 20,000 bucks ?

LOL...I had actually considered that !!

Heh... well I agree with Wusy. That CPU Quad server setup would be exellent to run 3 WoW accounts.

But, with a twist... since moneys no object, just in case a 4th/5th Wow is needed, build a FX60 system in a shuttle case to place ontop of the Master PC that's running 3 with an extra LCD :D

(of course I'm j/k)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs World Of Warcraft Product