Windows 98 Startup/Boot problems

Ever since my computer crashed about a year ago, about 80% of the times I
boot up my computer running Windows 98 SE, it freezes up at the last black
screen with the the little white blinking underscore in the top left corner
forcing me to reboot my computer. As it reboots it gives a warning that
Windows did not finish booting all the way on the last attempt and gives the
option to boot normaly, logged, in safe mode, step by step confirmation or
command prompt... etc. I choose normal boot mode and Windows boots up with
the display settings at 16 colors, 640x480 resolution. It then gives an error
alert box saying there is an error with display adapter settings. It then
brings up the display settings option menu. Here I reset my display settings
back to normal (16bit true-color, 1024x768) and it asks to me restart the
computer no matter what my advanced setting for changing display settings
are. About 80% of the time it restarts it again locks up and the I have to do
the whole process over again. It may take several times before the second
restart works and my computer boots all the way up normally. Can any one help
me with this problem or would I have to buy a new video card or what? Cause
I've tried a lot of stuff such as reinstalling windows and all that but
nothing works and its frustrating to have to spend up to 30 minutes just to
get my computer to boot normally. Please help!
6 answers Last reply
More about windows startup boot problems

    You might want to verify that you have the latest video driver installed.
    However, it may just be something else starting at boot that is causing the
    problem. Here's an article that may help:

    How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192926

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "ARob109" <ARob109@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ever since my computer crashed about a year ago, about 80% of the times I
    > boot up my computer running Windows 98 SE, it freezes up at the last black
    > screen with the the little white blinking underscore in the top left
    > corner
    > forcing me to reboot my computer. As it reboots it gives a warning that
    > Windows did not finish booting all the way on the last attempt and gives
    > the
    > option to boot normaly, logged, in safe mode, step by step confirmation or
    > command prompt... etc. I choose normal boot mode and Windows boots up with
    > the display settings at 16 colors, 640x480 resolution. It then gives an
    > error
    > alert box saying there is an error with display adapter settings. It then
    > brings up the display settings option menu. Here I reset my display
    > settings
    > back to normal (16bit true-color, 1024x768) and it asks to me restart the
    > computer no matter what my advanced setting for changing display settings
    > are. About 80% of the time it restarts it again locks up and the I have to
    > do
    > the whole process over again. It may take several times before the second
    > restart works and my computer boots all the way up normally. Can any one
    > help
    > me with this problem or would I have to buy a new video card or what?
    > Cause
    > I've tried a lot of stuff such as reinstalling windows and all that but
    > nothing works and its frustrating to have to spend up to 30 minutes just
    > get my computer to boot normally. Please help!

    Remove everything from your Startup folder.
    Delete all keys in

    Delete all in your Windows\Temp folder.
    Empty your Temporary Internet files.

    See if you still get the same problem, let us know for the next step.

    "ARob109" <ARob109@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ever since my computer crashed about a year ago, about 80% of the times I
    > boot up my computer running Windows 98 SE, it freezes up at the last black
    > screen with the the little white blinking underscore in the top left
    > corner
    > forcing me to reboot my computer. As it reboots it gives a warning that
    > Windows did not finish booting all the way on the last attempt and gives
    > the
    > option to boot normaly, logged, in safe mode, step by step confirmation or
    > command prompt... etc. I choose normal boot mode and Windows boots up with
    > the display settings at 16 colors, 640x480 resolution. It then gives an
    > error
    > alert box saying there is an error with display adapter settings. It then
    > brings up the display settings option menu. Here I reset my display
    > settings
    > back to normal (16bit true-color, 1024x768) and it asks to me restart the
    > computer no matter what my advanced setting for changing display settings
    > are. About 80% of the time it restarts it again locks up and the I have to
    > do
    > the whole process over again. It may take several times before the second
    > restart works and my computer boots all the way up normally. Can any one
    > help
    > me with this problem or would I have to buy a new video card or what?
    > Cause
    > I've tried a lot of stuff such as reinstalling windows and all that but
    > nothing works and its frustrating to have to spend up to 30 minutes just
    > get my computer to boot normally. Please help!

    For a sluggish boot, try a fit/proper Scandisk/Defrag...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
    Articles about Scandisk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
    Articles about Defrag

    I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
    great one to do...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
    Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
    screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
    truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
    "C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either. (When
    running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You must
    "Scandisk /Checkonly", instead. It will write to the same .log. The
    Auto-Scandisk that runs from DOS after a crash must be set to "Prompt"
    the bad ones in C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini.) REALLY, in light of
    all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full system backup to run
    to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

    1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
    None)
    2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
    On,Never,Never,Never)
    3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
    4. Suspend Task Scheduler
    5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
    PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
    unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
    Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
    Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
    6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
    (a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
    all offline content, OK, OK"
    (b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
    will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
    unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
    7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
    items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
    want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
    on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
    8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
    unmovables.

    The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
    Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
    Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
    after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
    this says so:
    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
    Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
    HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

    "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
    discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool was
    accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update"
    on your own.

    "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
    by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
    "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

    Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
    384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "ARob109" <ARob109@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Ever since my computer crashed about a year ago, about 80% of the
    times I
    | boot up my computer running Windows 98 SE, it freezes up at the last
    black
    | screen with the the little white blinking underscore in the top left
    corner
    | forcing me to reboot my computer. As it reboots it gives a warning
    that
    | Windows did not finish booting all the way on the last attempt and
    gives the
    | option to boot normaly, logged, in safe mode, step by step
    confirmation or
    | command prompt... etc. I choose normal boot mode and Windows boots up
    with
    | the display settings at 16 colors, 640x480 resolution. It then gives
    an error
    | alert box saying there is an error with display adapter settings. It
    then
    | brings up the display settings option menu. Here I reset my display
    settings
    | back to normal (16bit true-color, 1024x768) and it asks to me restart
    the
    | computer no matter what my advanced setting for changing display
    settings
    | are. About 80% of the time it restarts it again locks up and the I
    have to do
    | the whole process over again. It may take several times before the
    second
    | restart works and my computer boots all the way up normally. Can any
    one help
    | me with this problem or would I have to buy a new video card or what?
    Cause
    | I've tried a lot of stuff such as reinstalling windows and all that
    but
    | nothing works and its frustrating to have to spend up to 30 minutes
    just to
    | get my computer to boot normally. Please help!

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=127139
    Troubleshooting Video Problems in Windows

    "START, Run, MSConfig, Advanced button". If checked, then uncheck "VGA
    640x480x16", & reboot.

    "Control Panel, Display, Settings tab". Select as you wish from the
    Colors dropdown menu & the Size slider. Really, you should need nothing
    higher than "High Color (16 bit)", for speed/resource considerations.

    If you move the Screen Area slider to 1024x768 there, be sure to click
    the Advanced button, & select Large fonts.

    Try to get your colors/size at least twice that way. If it continues to
    fail, you may need to reinstall your Monitor or Display Adapter...

    For the Monitor...
    (1) Boot to Safe Mode
    (Hold F5 as you boot or CTRL for the Startup Menu)
    (2) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
    (3) Open the Monitors branch, & Remove all entries.

    Perhaps, FIRST, even in Normal Mode, note what is installed
    similar to below for the Adapter. That is...
    (a) D-Clk the monitor there for Properties, Driver tab.
    (b) Click the Update Driver button, then "Next".
    (c) Bolt "Display a list...", & click "Next".
    (d) Bolt "Show all hardware".
    Examine the two panes to see what is currently installed.
    That is likely what you wish to end up with, after step (4).

    (4) Boot to Normal Mode.

    Hopefully, it will be rediscovered & installed. Then, if still
    necessary, here is the rigmarole of the Display Adapter...

    .......Quote..........
    The first thing to do is to remove the video adapter you have
    installed. Right-click on the desktop; choose "Properties" from the
    drop-down menu; select "Settings;" click on the "Advanced" button; and
    click on "Adapter". An adapter is a program that tells Windows how to
    deal with a specific video card. Make note of the adapter that is
    currently installed. Then, change the adapter to "Standard Display
    Adapter (VGA)" and restart the system.

    [That is: Click "Change, Next, bolt 'Display a List...', Next, bolt
    'Show all hardware', scroll left pane to top, select '(Standard display
    types)', select 'Standard Display Adapter (VGA)' in right pane, click
    'Next'"... PCR]

    This will remove the current adapter and replace it with a generic VGA
    adapter that works with all video cards. You will not like VGA because
    it supports only 16 colors, but the purpose of installing it is to get
    rid of whatever was there before.

    Next, return to the adapter screen and install an adapter that matches
    your video card. This may or may not be the adapter that you are
    using now. Examine the materials you received with your computer to
    see if they include a CD-ROM or floppy disk that contains the correct
    video adapter. Or go to the Gateway website and see if they have an
    adapter for you to download. Or check the website of the company that
    made your video card.

    Bill Starbuck (MVP)
    .......End....of quote....

    Also...
    ..........Quote................
    To identify your video adapter correctly, download and run either the
    Everest or Aida32 utility, available here:
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#everest

    Once you have identified the display adapter, go to the manufacturer's
    web site and download the correct driver for you operating
    system....(such as) Windows 98/98SE.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "ARob109" <ARob109@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Ever since my computer crashed about a year ago, about 80% of the
    times I
    | boot up my computer running Windows 98 SE, it freezes up at the last
    black
    | screen with the the little white blinking underscore in the top left
    corner
    | forcing me to reboot my computer. As it reboots it gives a warning
    that
    | Windows did not finish booting all the way on the last attempt and
    gives the
    | option to boot normaly, logged, in safe mode, step by step
    confirmation or
    | command prompt... etc. I choose normal boot mode and Windows boots up
    with
    | the display settings at 16 colors, 640x480 resolution. It then gives
    an error
    | alert box saying there is an error with display adapter settings. It
    then
    | brings up the display settings option menu. Here I reset my display
    settings
    | back to normal (16bit true-color, 1024x768) and it asks to me restart
    the
    | computer no matter what my advanced setting for changing display
    settings
    | are. About 80% of the time it restarts it again locks up and the I
    have to do
    | the whole process over again. It may take several times before the
    second
    | restart works and my computer boots all the way up normally. Can any
    one help
    | me with this problem or would I have to buy a new video card or what?
    Cause
    | I've tried a lot of stuff such as reinstalling windows and all that
    but
    | nothing works and its frustrating to have to spend up to 30 minutes
    just to
    | get my computer to boot normally. Please help!

    have you tried re-seating the video card; i had a similar problem and
    after
    re-seating it came good and has been since.
    while you are at it, re-seat the Ram too, and in both cases clean the
    connectors...... male and female parts.

    ...Rex..
    "ARob109" <ARob109@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ever since my computer crashed about a year ago, about 80% of the times I
    > boot up my computer running Windows 98 SE, it freezes up at the last black
    > screen with the the little white blinking underscore in the top left
    corner
    > forcing me to reboot my computer. As it reboots it gives a warning that
    > Windows did not finish booting all the way on the last attempt and gives
    the
    > option to boot normaly, logged, in safe mode, step by step confirmation or
    > command prompt... etc. I choose normal boot mode and Windows boots up with
    > the display settings at 16 colors, 640x480 resolution. It then gives an
    error
    > alert box saying there is an error with display adapter settings. It then
    > brings up the display settings option menu. Here I reset my display
    settings
    > back to normal (16bit true-color, 1024x768) and it asks to me restart the
    > computer no matter what my advanced setting for changing display settings
    > are. About 80% of the time it restarts it again locks up and the I have to
    do
    > the whole process over again. It may take several times before the second
    > restart works and my computer boots all the way up normally. Can any one
    help
    > me with this problem or would I have to buy a new video card or what?
    Cause
    > I've tried a lot of stuff such as reinstalling windows and all that but
    > nothing works and its frustrating to have to spend up to 30 minutes just
    > get my computer to boot normally. Please help!

    Since this is an intermittent problem, vice consistent, would tend to agree
    with you. Otherwise, would go with Ron's advice.

Windows 98 Computers Boot Windows