Windows 98 Startup/Boot problems

Ever since my computer crashed about a year ago, about 80% of the times I
boot up my computer running Windows 98 SE, it freezes up at the last black
screen with the the little white blinking underscore in the top left corner
forcing me to reboot my computer. As it reboots it gives a warning that
Windows did not finish booting all the way on the last attempt and gives the
option to boot normaly, logged, in safe mode, step by step confirmation or
command prompt... etc. I choose normal boot mode and Windows boots up with
the display settings at 16 colors, 640x480 resolution. It then gives an error
alert box saying there is an error with display adapter settings. It then
brings up the display settings option menu. Here I reset my display settings
back to normal (16bit true-color, 1024x768) and it asks to me restart the
computer no matter what my advanced setting for changing display settings
are. About 80% of the time it restarts it again locks up and the I have to do
the whole process over again. It may take several times before the second
restart works and my computer boots all the way up normally. Can any one help
me with this problem or would I have to buy a new video card or what? Cause
I've tried a lot of stuff such as reinstalling windows and all that but
nothing works and its frustrating to have to spend up to 30 minutes just to
get my computer to boot normally. Please help!

You might want to verify that you have the latest video driver installed.
However, it may just be something else starting at boot that is causing the
problem. Here's an article that may help:

How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192926

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"ARob109" <ARob109@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ever since my computer crashed about a year ago, about 80% of the times I
> boot up my computer running Windows 98 SE, it freezes up at the last black
> screen with the the little white blinking underscore in the top left
> corner
> forcing me to reboot my computer. As it reboots it gives a warning that
> Windows did not finish booting all the way on the last attempt and gives
> the
> option to boot normaly, logged, in safe mode, step by step confirmation or
> command prompt... etc. I choose normal boot mode and Windows boots up with
> the display settings at 16 colors, 640x480 resolution. It then gives an
> error
> alert box saying there is an error with display adapter settings. It then
> brings up the display settings option menu. Here I reset my display
> settings
> back to normal (16bit true-color, 1024x768) and it asks to me restart the
> computer no matter what my advanced setting for changing display settings
> are. About 80% of the time it restarts it again locks up and the I have to
> do
> the whole process over again. It may take several times before the second
> restart works and my computer boots all the way up normally. Can any one
> help
> me with this problem or would I have to buy a new video card or what?
> Cause
> I've tried a lot of stuff such as reinstalling windows and all that but
> nothing works and its frustrating to have to spend up to 30 minutes just
> get my computer to boot normally. Please help!

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Remove everything from your Startup folder.
Delete all keys in

Delete all in your Windows\Temp folder.
Empty your Temporary Internet files.

See if you still get the same problem, let us know for the next step.

"ARob109" <ARob109@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ever since my computer crashed about a year ago, about 80% of the times I
> boot up my computer running Windows 98 SE, it freezes up at the last black
> screen with the the little white blinking underscore in the top left
> corner
> forcing me to reboot my computer. As it reboots it gives a warning that
> Windows did not finish booting all the way on the last attempt and gives
> the
> option to boot normaly, logged, in safe mode, step by step confirmation or
> command prompt... etc. I choose normal boot mode and Windows boots up with
> the display settings at 16 colors, 640x480 resolution. It then gives an
> error
> alert box saying there is an error with display adapter settings. It then
> brings up the display settings option menu. Here I reset my display
> settings
> back to normal (16bit true-color, 1024x768) and it asks to me restart the
> computer no matter what my advanced setting for changing display settings
> are. About 80% of the time it restarts it again locks up and the I have to
> do
> the whole process over again. It may take several times before the second
> restart works and my computer boots all the way up normally. Can any one
> help
> me with this problem or would I have to buy a new video card or what?
> Cause
> I've tried a lot of stuff such as reinstalling windows and all that but
> nothing works and its frustrating to have to spend up to 30 minutes just
> get my computer to boot normally. Please help!

For a sluggish boot, try a fit/proper Scandisk/Defrag...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
Articles about Scandisk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
Articles about Defrag

I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
great one to do...
http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
"C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either. (When
running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You must
"Scandisk /Checkonly", instead. It will write to the same .log. The
Auto-Scandisk that runs from DOS after a crash must be set to "Prompt"
the bad ones in C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini.) REALLY, in light of
all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full system backup to run
to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
None)
2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
On,Never,Never,Never)
3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
4. Suspend Task Scheduler
5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
(a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
all offline content, OK, OK"
(b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
unmovables.

The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
this says so:
http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

"DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool was
accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control
Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update"
on your own.

"BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
"Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"ARob109" <ARob109@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Ever since my computer crashed about a year ago, about 80% of the
times I
| boot up my computer running Windows 98 SE, it freezes up at the last
black
| screen with the the little white blinking underscore in the top left
corner
| forcing me to reboot my computer. As it reboots it gives a warning
that
| Windows did not finish booting all the way on the last attempt and
gives the
| option to boot normaly, logged, in safe mode, step by step
confirmation or
| command prompt... etc. I choose normal boot mode and Windows boots up
with
| the display settings at 16 colors, 640x480 resolution. It then gives
an error
| alert box saying there is an error with display adapter settings. It
then
| brings up the display settings option menu. Here I reset my display
settings
| back to normal (16bit true-color, 1024x768) and it asks to me restart
the
| computer no matter what my advanced setting for changing display
settings
| are. About 80% of the time it restarts it again locks up and the I
have to do
| the whole process over again. It may take several times before the
second
| restart works and my computer boots all the way up normally. Can any
one help
| me with this problem or would I have to buy a new video card or what?
Cause
| I've tried a lot of stuff such as reinstalling windows and all that
but
| nothing works and its frustrating to have to spend up to 30 minutes
just to
| get my computer to boot normally. Please help!

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=127139
Troubleshooting Video Problems in Windows

"START, Run, MSConfig, Advanced button". If checked, then uncheck "VGA
640x480x16", & reboot.

"Control Panel, Display, Settings tab". Select as you wish from the
Colors dropdown menu & the Size slider. Really, you should need nothing
higher than "High Color (16 bit)", for speed/resource considerations.

If you move the Screen Area slider to 1024x768 there, be sure to click
the Advanced button, & select Large fonts.

Try to get your colors/size at least twice that way. If it continues to
fail, you may need to reinstall your Monitor or Display Adapter...

For the Monitor...
(1) Boot to Safe Mode
(Hold F5 as you boot or CTRL for the Startup Menu)
(2) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
(3) Open the Monitors branch, & Remove all entries.

Perhaps, FIRST, even in Normal Mode, note what is installed
similar to below for the Adapter. That is...
(a) D-Clk the monitor there for Properties, Driver tab.
(b) Click the Update Driver button, then "Next".
(c) Bolt "Display a list...", & click "Next".
(d) Bolt "Show all hardware".
Examine the two panes to see what is currently installed.
That is likely what you wish to end up with, after step (4).

(4) Boot to Normal Mode.

Hopefully, it will be rediscovered & installed. Then, if still
necessary, here is the rigmarole of the Display Adapter...

.......Quote..........
The first thing to do is to remove the video adapter you have
installed. Right-click on the desktop; choose "Properties" from the
drop-down menu; select "Settings;" click on the "Advanced" button; and
click on "Adapter". An adapter is a program that tells Windows how to
deal with a specific video card. Make note of the adapter that is
currently installed. Then, change the adapter to "Standard Display
Adapter (VGA)" and restart the system.

[That is: Click "Change, Next, bolt 'Display a List...', Next, bolt
'Show all hardware', scroll left pane to top, select '(Standard display
types)', select 'Standard Display Adapter (VGA)' in right pane, click
'Next'"... PCR]

This will remove the current adapter and replace it with a generic VGA
adapter that works with all video cards. You will not like VGA because
it supports only 16 colors, but the purpose of installing it is to get
rid of whatever was there before.

Next, return to the adapter screen and install an adapter that matches
your video card. This may or may not be the adapter that you are
using now. Examine the materials you received with your computer to
see if they include a CD-ROM or floppy disk that contains the correct
video adapter. Or go to the Gateway website and see if they have an
adapter for you to download. Or check the website of the company that
made your video card.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
.......End....of quote....

Also...
..........Quote................
To identify your video adapter correctly, download and run either the
Everest or Aida32 utility, available here:
http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#everest

Once you have identified the display adapter, go to the manufacturer's
web site and download the correct driver for you operating
system....(such as) Windows 98/98SE.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"ARob109" <ARob109@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Ever since my computer crashed about a year ago, about 80% of the
times I
| boot up my computer running Windows 98 SE, it freezes up at the last
black
| screen with the the little white blinking underscore in the top left
corner
| forcing me to reboot my computer. As it reboots it gives a warning
that
| Windows did not finish booting all the way on the last attempt and
gives the
| option to boot normaly, logged, in safe mode, step by step
confirmation or
| command prompt... etc. I choose normal boot mode and Windows boots up
with
| the display settings at 16 colors, 640x480 resolution. It then gives
an error
| alert box saying there is an error with display adapter settings. It
then
| brings up the display settings option menu. Here I reset my display
settings
| back to normal (16bit true-color, 1024x768) and it asks to me restart
the
| computer no matter what my advanced setting for changing display
settings
| are. About 80% of the time it restarts it again locks up and the I
have to do
| the whole process over again. It may take several times before the
second
| restart works and my computer boots all the way up normally. Can any
one help
| me with this problem or would I have to buy a new video card or what?
Cause
| I've tried a lot of stuff such as reinstalling windows and all that
but
| nothing works and its frustrating to have to spend up to 30 minutes
just to
| get my computer to boot normally. Please help!

have you tried re-seating the video card; i had a similar problem and
after
re-seating it came good and has been since.
while you are at it, re-seat the Ram too, and in both cases clean the
connectors...... male and female parts.

...Rex..
"ARob109" <ARob109@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ever since my computer crashed about a year ago, about 80% of the times I
> boot up my computer running Windows 98 SE, it freezes up at the last black
> screen with the the little white blinking underscore in the top left
corner
> forcing me to reboot my computer. As it reboots it gives a warning that
> Windows did not finish booting all the way on the last attempt and gives
the
> option to boot normaly, logged, in safe mode, step by step confirmation or
> command prompt... etc. I choose normal boot mode and Windows boots up with
> the display settings at 16 colors, 640x480 resolution. It then gives an
error
> alert box saying there is an error with display adapter settings. It then
> brings up the display settings option menu. Here I reset my display
settings
> back to normal (16bit true-color, 1024x768) and it asks to me restart the
> computer no matter what my advanced setting for changing display settings
> are. About 80% of the time it restarts it again locks up and the I have to
do
> the whole process over again. It may take several times before the second
> restart works and my computer boots all the way up normally. Can any one
help
> me with this problem or would I have to buy a new video card or what?
Cause
> I've tried a lot of stuff such as reinstalling windows and all that but
> nothing works and its frustrating to have to spend up to 30 minutes just
> get my computer to boot normally. Please help!

Since this is an intermittent problem, vice consistent, would tend to agree
with you. Otherwise, would go with Ron's advice.