Win98SE Shutdown

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
August 8, 2005 8:28:41 PM

Further to my earlier queries of not being able to shutdown Win98SE (hangs
at Windows Shutdown screen).

I have tried using shutdown shortcut C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32
SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 8 (to power off) but this does not work either.

And yet, if I shutdown from 'Safe Mode' then the computer does power off ok.

Does this give anyone a clue as to what may be preventing 'normal' shutdown?

Thanks

More about : win98se shutdown

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:28:42 PM

I've twice now run acorss one setting that's caused that. Many SB sound
cards (and maybe others?) have a setting under their Properties in device
manager for "sharing irq", uncheck it has worked on both pc's for me.

"Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Further to my earlier queries of not being able to shutdown Win98SE (hangs
> at Windows Shutdown screen).
>
> I have tried using shutdown shortcut C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32
> SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 8 (to power off) but this does not work
either.

> And yet, if I shutdown from 'Safe Mode' then the computer does power off
ok.

> Does this give anyone a clue as to what may be preventing 'normal'
shutdown?

> Thanks

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:28:42 PM

"Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Further to my earlier queries of not being able to shutdown Win98SE
(hangs
> at Windows Shutdown screen).
>
> I have tried using shutdown shortcut C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32
> SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 8 (to power off) but this does not work
either.

> And yet, if I shutdown from 'Safe Mode' then the computer does power
off ok.

> Does this give anyone a clue as to what may be preventing 'normal'
shutdown?

> Thanks

If you go to Start > Run > type in msconfig > OK > Startup tab >
uncheck and restore each application (except Systray) one by one you may
find the baddie.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.
August 8, 2005 8:28:42 PM

"Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Further to my earlier queries of not being able to shutdown Win98SE (hangs
> at Windows Shutdown screen).
>
> I have tried using shutdown shortcut C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32
> SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 8 (to power off) but this does not work either.
>
> And yet, if I shutdown from 'Safe Mode' then the computer does power off ok.
>
> Does this give anyone a clue as to what may be preventing 'normal' shutdown?
>
> Thanks

This is pretty easy to try and may even work.
Do an EndTask on all entries in the Close Program Box(ctrl-alt-del) (except for
Explorer) and see if it will close properly now.
If so, only do half of them next time and see what happens. You should be able
to find the 'culprit' , if it really is a program that is not closing properly
causing the problem.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:28:42 PM

Always reply to your original thread, please.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Geoff wrote:
> Further to my earlier queries of not being able to shutdown Win98SE (hangs
> at Windows Shutdown screen).
>
> I have tried using shutdown shortcut C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32
> SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 8 (to power off) but this does not work
> either.
> And yet, if I shutdown from 'Safe Mode' then the computer does power off
> ok.
> Does this give anyone a clue as to what may be preventing 'normal'
> shutdown?
> Thanks
August 9, 2005 1:19:42 AM

No conflicts showing up in the devices.........nor any shared IRQ for sound
or graphics.

"pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote in message
> I've twice now run acorss one setting that's caused that. Many SB sound
> cards (and maybe others?) have a setting under their Properties in device
> manager for "sharing irq", uncheck it has worked on both pc's for me.
>
> "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>> Further to my earlier queries of not being able to shutdown Win98SE
>> (hangs
>> at Windows Shutdown screen).
>>
>> I have tried using shutdown shortcut C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32
>> SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 8 (to power off) but this does not work
> either.
>>
>> And yet, if I shutdown from 'Safe Mode' then the computer does power off
> ok.
>>
>> Does this give anyone a clue as to what may be preventing 'normal'
> shutdown?
>>
>> Thanks

August 10, 2005 12:20:46 AM

My apologies.