Win98SE Shutdown

Further to my earlier queries of not being able to shutdown Win98SE (hangs
at Windows Shutdown screen).

I have tried using shutdown shortcut C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32
SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 8 (to power off) but this does not work either.

And yet, if I shutdown from 'Safe Mode' then the computer does power off ok.

Does this give anyone a clue as to what may be preventing 'normal' shutdown?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about win98se shutdown

    I've twice now run acorss one setting that's caused that. Many SB sound
    cards (and maybe others?) have a setting under their Properties in device
    manager for "sharing irq", uncheck it has worked on both pc's for me.

    "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > Further to my earlier queries of not being able to shutdown Win98SE (hangs
    > at Windows Shutdown screen).
    >
    > I have tried using shutdown shortcut C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32
    > SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 8 (to power off) but this does not work
    either.

    > And yet, if I shutdown from 'Safe Mode' then the computer does power off
    ok.

    > Does this give anyone a clue as to what may be preventing 'normal'
    shutdown?

    > Thanks

    "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > Further to my earlier queries of not being able to shutdown Win98SE
    (hangs
    > at Windows Shutdown screen).
    >
    > I have tried using shutdown shortcut C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32
    > SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 8 (to power off) but this does not work
    either.

    > And yet, if I shutdown from 'Safe Mode' then the computer does power
    off ok.

    > Does this give anyone a clue as to what may be preventing 'normal'
    shutdown?

    > Thanks

    If you go to Start > Run > type in msconfig > OK > Startup tab >
    uncheck and restore each application (except Systray) one by one you may
    find the baddie.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > Further to my earlier queries of not being able to shutdown Win98SE (hangs
    > at Windows Shutdown screen).
    >
    > I have tried using shutdown shortcut C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32
    > SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 8 (to power off) but this does not work either.
    >
    > And yet, if I shutdown from 'Safe Mode' then the computer does power off ok.
    >
    > Does this give anyone a clue as to what may be preventing 'normal' shutdown?
    >
    > Thanks

    This is pretty easy to try and may even work.
    Do an EndTask on all entries in the Close Program Box(ctrl-alt-del) (except for
    Explorer) and see if it will close properly now.
    If so, only do half of them next time and see what happens. You should be able
    to find the 'culprit' , if it really is a program that is not closing properly
    causing the problem.

    Always reply to your original thread, please.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Geoff wrote:
    > Further to my earlier queries of not being able to shutdown Win98SE (hangs
    > at Windows Shutdown screen).
    >
    > I have tried using shutdown shortcut C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32
    > SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 8 (to power off) but this does not work
    > either.
    > And yet, if I shutdown from 'Safe Mode' then the computer does power off
    > ok.
    > Does this give anyone a clue as to what may be preventing 'normal'
    > shutdown?
    > Thanks

    No conflicts showing up in the devices.........nor any shared IRQ for sound
    or graphics.

    "pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote in message
    > I've twice now run acorss one setting that's caused that. Many SB sound
    > cards (and maybe others?) have a setting under their Properties in device
    > manager for "sharing irq", uncheck it has worked on both pc's for me.
    >
    > "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Further to my earlier queries of not being able to shutdown Win98SE
    >> (hangs
    >> at Windows Shutdown screen).
    >>
    >> I have tried using shutdown shortcut C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32
    >> SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 8 (to power off) but this does not work
    > either.
    >>
    >> And yet, if I shutdown from 'Safe Mode' then the computer does power off
    > ok.
    >>
    >> Does this give anyone a clue as to what may be preventing 'normal'
    > shutdown?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    My apologies.

    > Always reply to your original thread, please.
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > Geoff wrote:
    >> Further to my earlier queries of not being able to shutdown Win98SE
    >> (hangs
    >> at Windows Shutdown screen).
    >>
    >> I have tried using shutdown shortcut C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32
    >> SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 8 (to power off) but this does not work
    >> either.
    >> And yet, if I shutdown from 'Safe Mode' then the computer does power off
    >> ok.
    >> Does this give anyone a clue as to what may be preventing 'normal'
    >> shutdown?
    >> Thanks

Shutdown Power Microsoft Windows