SPD not found...help please

terry

Win 98SE
Re-formatted & clean install of 98SE
Installed office 2000
Nvidia graphics card.

Scandisk & defragged

I am passing this PC onto a friend but wish to ensure no errors showing etc.
etc.

I have a mystery "flashing" warning line appearing on every startup (dos
screen)as follow:
"WARNING!..SPD not found @ DIMMS 1 4"
(for info' there is a space between 1 & 4). Boot up continues hey preso!
without any key presses etc.

I have 2 x 128 Mb memory modules, which I have taken out & tried different
permutations in the 3 availble memory bank slots on the m/b.....still same.

The PC appears to work OK.

Would like to get rid of this gremlin if anyone can help please.....even if
it means a registry tweak?

TIA

"Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Re-formatted & clean install of 98SE
> . . .
> I have a mystery "flashing" warning line appearing on every startup (dos
> screen)as follow:
> "WARNING!..SPD not found @ DIMMS 1 4"
> (for info' there is a space between 1 & 4). Boot up continues hey preso!
> without any key presses etc.
> . . .
> The PC appears to work OK.

This DOS error message is presumably called
by either AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS
(both legacies from MS-DOS and Win95)
which Win98 does not require. Try renaming
both so they do not run, boot Windows, and
post again here if there is any malfunction.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Unlike Ingeborg, I never heard of SPD, don't want to hear it ever again,
& do not know whether one of the following will test it...

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp RAM tester
http://www.memtest86.com/ RAM tester

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Win 98SE
| Re-formatted & clean install of 98SE
| Installed office 2000
| Nvidia graphics card.
|
| Scandisk & defragged
|
| I am passing this PC onto a friend but wish to ensure no errors
showing etc.
| etc.
|
| I have a mystery "flashing" warning line appearing on every startup
(dos
| screen)as follow:
| "WARNING!..SPD not found @ DIMMS 1 4"
| (for info' there is a space between 1 & 4). Boot up continues hey
preso!
| without any key presses etc.
|
| I have 2 x 128 Mb memory modules, which I have taken out & tried
different
| permutations in the 3 availble memory bank slots on the m/b.....still
same.

| The PC appears to work OK.
|
| Would like to get rid of this gremlin if anyone can help
please.....even if
| it means a registry tweak?
|
| TIA

"Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Win 98SE
> Re-formatted & clean install of 98SE
> Installed office 2000
> Nvidia graphics card.
>
> Scandisk & defragged
>
> I am passing this PC onto a friend but wish to ensure no errors
> showing etc. etc.
>
> I have a mystery "flashing" warning line appearing on every startup
> (dos screen)as follow:
> "WARNING!..SPD not found @ DIMMS 1 4"
> (for info' there is a space between 1 & 4). Boot up continues hey
> preso! without any key presses etc.
>
> I have 2 x 128 Mb memory modules, which I have taken out & tried
> different permutations in the 3 availble memory bank slots on the
> m/b.....still same.
>
> The PC appears to work OK.
>
> Would like to get rid of this gremlin if anyone can help
> please.....even if it means a registry tweak?
>
> TIA

SPD is a small block of flash memory in the DIMM module. In this memory the
factory stores some information about timing. I suppose the BIOS tries to
read the SPD to set the memory timing, and for some reason it cannot find
it. Try changing the 'Memory timing by SPD' in BIOS setup in some hard
values.

terry

Thanks for the reply, but unsure of the wording and application precicely
"...in some hard values" ?

Terry
"Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
> "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Win 98SE
> > Re-formatted & clean install of 98SE
> > Installed office 2000
> > Nvidia graphics card.
> >
> > Scandisk & defragged
> >
> > I am passing this PC onto a friend but wish to ensure no errors
> > showing etc. etc.
> >
> > I have a mystery "flashing" warning line appearing on every startup
> > (dos screen)as follow:
> > "WARNING!..SPD not found @ DIMMS 1 4"
> > (for info' there is a space between 1 & 4). Boot up continues hey
> > preso! without any key presses etc.
> >
> > I have 2 x 128 Mb memory modules, which I have taken out & tried
> > different permutations in the 3 availble memory bank slots on the
> > m/b.....still same.
> >
> > The PC appears to work OK.
> >
> > Would like to get rid of this gremlin if anyone can help
> > please.....even if it means a registry tweak?
> >
> > TIA
> >

> SPD is a small block of flash memory in the DIMM module. In this memory
the
> factory stores some information about timing. I suppose the BIOS tries to
> read the SPD to set the memory timing, and for some reason it cannot find
> it. Try changing the 'Memory timing by SPD' in BIOS setup in some hard
> values.

terry

Thanks for post Don
1) I do not have Autoexec & Config.sy "ticked" in my Start up settings.
2) Just in case I have renamed the 2 as suggested .....still the same prob'
3) In my root dir' (C:)I have also 2 files of Autoexec & config, but the
extensions were both ".tsh", so I renamed these also...still the problem
after re-booting

Terry
"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Re-formatted & clean install of 98SE
> > . . .
> > I have a mystery "flashing" warning line appearing on every startup (dos
> > screen)as follow:
> > "WARNING!..SPD not found @ DIMMS 1 4"
> > (for info' there is a space between 1 & 4). Boot up continues hey preso!
> > without any key presses etc.
> > . . .
> > The PC appears to work OK.
>
> This DOS error message is presumably called
> by either AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS
> (both legacies from MS-DOS and Win95)
> which Win98 does not require. Try renaming
> both so they do not run, boot Windows, and
> post again here if there is any malfunction.
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

terry

I am unable to find "SPD" referenced in my bios settings, hence unable to
alter any settings.

Terry
> Thanks for the reply, but unsure of the wording and application precicely
> "...in some hard values" ?
>
> Terry
> "Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
> > "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in
> >
> > > Win 98SE
> > > Re-formatted & clean install of 98SE
> > > Installed office 2000
> > > Nvidia graphics card.
> > >
> > > Scandisk & defragged
> > >
> > > I am passing this PC onto a friend but wish to ensure no errors
> > > showing etc. etc.
> > >
> > > I have a mystery "flashing" warning line appearing on every startup
> > > (dos screen)as follow:
> > > "WARNING!..SPD not found @ DIMMS 1 4"
> > > (for info' there is a space between 1 & 4). Boot up continues hey
> > > preso! without any key presses etc.
> > >
> > > I have 2 x 128 Mb memory modules, which I have taken out & tried
> > > different permutations in the 3 availble memory bank slots on the
> > > m/b.....still same.
> > >
> > > The PC appears to work OK.
> > >
> > > Would like to get rid of this gremlin if anyone can help
> > > please.....even if it means a registry tweak?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >

> > SPD is a small block of flash memory in the DIMM module. In this memory
> the
> > factory stores some information about timing. I suppose the BIOS tries
> > read the SPD to set the memory timing, and for some reason it cannot
find
> > it. Try changing the 'Memory timing by SPD' in BIOS setup in some hard
> > values.

The replies in the discussions below may explain:

http://www.maxpc.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=10603&subsectionid=712&subsubsectionid=546

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-17917.html
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> I am unable to find "SPD" referenced in my bios settings, hence unable
> to alter any settings.

Search for memory timing options. With 'Hard values' I meant don't let the
system set them automatically. Choose the longest timings possible. (That
will be 3 or 4 clockticks per setting.) When the system is stable you can
make them shorter. When you have the specifications of the dimms you can
use that settings, of course.

terry

Ingeborg

Appreciate your patience, but frustratingly I am unable to find any of your
suggestions in my BIOS settings.

> "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > I am unable to find "SPD" referenced in my bios settings, hence unable
> > to alter any settings.
> >

> Search for memory timing options. With 'Hard values' I meant don't let the
> system set them automatically. Choose the longest timings possible. (That
> will be 3 or 4 clockticks per setting.) When the system is stable you can
> make them shorter. When you have the specifications of the dimms you can
> use that settings, of course.

> Appreciate your patience, but frustratingly I am unable to find any of
your
> suggestions in my BIOS settings.

Is your computer from a manufacturer? Like Compaq, HP, or IBM. Because I
think that they disable anything like that in the BIOS.

You can find answers to things like this by doing a search on Google.com. I
found this explanation by searching on: SPD not found @ DIMMS
http://www.pcformat.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=10474&subsectionid=688&subsubsectionid=488
--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Win 98SE
> Re-formatted & clean install of 98SE
> Installed office 2000
> Nvidia graphics card.
>
> Scandisk & defragged
>
> I am passing this PC onto a friend but wish to ensure no errors showing
> etc.
> etc.
>
> I have a mystery "flashing" warning line appearing on every startup (dos
> screen)as follow:
> "WARNING!..SPD not found @ DIMMS 1 4"
> (for info' there is a space between 1 & 4). Boot up continues hey preso!
> without any key presses etc.
>
> I have 2 x 128 Mb memory modules, which I have taken out & tried different
> permutations in the 3 availble memory bank slots on the m/b.....still
> same.
>
> The PC appears to work OK.
>
> Would like to get rid of this gremlin if anyone can help please.....even
> if
> it means a registry tweak?
>
> TIA

Hmmmmm. That settles it, then, it's talking RAM, just as Ingeborg said!
(But I've never heard mine speak, & my BIOS doesn't appear to be even
listening.)

--
| The replies in the discussions below may explain:

http://www.maxpc.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=10603&subsectionid=712&subsubsectionid=546

| http://www.sysopt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-17917.html
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
|
| "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > Win 98SE
| > Re-formatted & clean install of 98SE
| > Installed office 2000
| > Nvidia graphics card.
| >
| > Scandisk & defragged
| >
| > I am passing this PC onto a friend but wish to ensure no errors
showing etc.
| > etc.
| >
| > I have a mystery "flashing" warning line appearing on every startup
(dos
| > screen)as follow:
| > "WARNING!..SPD not found @ DIMMS 1 4"
| > (for info' there is a space between 1 & 4). Boot up continues hey
preso!
| > without any key presses etc.
| >
| > I have 2 x 128 Mb memory modules, which I have taken out & tried
different
| > permutations in the 3 availble memory bank slots on the
m/b.....still same.

| > The PC appears to work OK.
| >
| > Would like to get rid of this gremlin if anyone can help
please.....even if
| > it means a registry tweak?
| >
| > TIA

terry

NO............purpose built by local company (CRAM)

Terry

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:OKicrfDnFHA.240
@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> I never heard of SPD

<http://www.tyan.com/support/html/memory.html#3>

I see. But I said I didn't want to hear any more! Anyway, this SPD
device seems to be read-only. It is unlikely the RAM testers can test
it, but ???. Also, it definitely appears to be BIOS related. Perhaps it
will require an updated BIOS to use it. Don't know. (My own BIOS makes
no mention of it, not even in the docs of the BIOS flash-- System ROM
Update #1.)

--

> Ingeborg
>
> Appreciate your patience, but frustratingly I am unable to find any of
> your suggestions in my BIOS settings.
>
> Terry
> "Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>
>> > I am unable to find "SPD" referenced in my bios settings, hence
>> > unable to alter any settings.
>> >

>> Search for memory timing options. With 'Hard values' I meant don't
>> let the system set them automatically. Choose the longest timings
>> possible. (That will be 3 or 4 clockticks per setting.) When the
>> system is stable you can make them shorter. When you have the
>> specifications of the dimms you can use that settings, of course.

I'm famous for my patience. I've rebooted and looked how it's called in my
own BIOS setup. In my BIOS (Asrock mobo) it's called 'SDRAM frequency'. It
gives me the choice between 100MHz, 133MHz and Auto. For Auto it needs the
SPD, I suppose. (SDRAM stands for Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory)

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:e02nifEnFHA.3608
@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

> But I said I didn't want to hear any more!

Which software do you use to read your news? :)

Why?

--
| "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:e02nifEnFHA.3608
| @TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
|
| > But I said I didn't want to hear any more!
|
| Which software do you use to read your news? :)

This is not a disk operating system (dos) message. Its an informational
message as a result of the bios findings of your RAM.

Doing anything in windows will do nothing to correct this message.

Not knowing anything about your PC, bios make and version including date,
and compatibility of the RAM with each other, and if the RAM is compatible
with the bios and motherboard, there's nothing to say.

This describes SPD in reference to it being missing: Since the message is
from the bios results of RAM, the message will be strictly as a result of
the bios. Therefore, the message won't be identical on all PCs with SPD
capability.
http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.asp?qid=3760
Since this definitely a RAM/BIOS setup hardware question, you might check
here:
http://www.crucial.com/support/contact_forms/tech_support.asp

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:u0hjykEnFHA.2852
@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

> Why?

It seems I shouldn't try to make jokes in a (for me) foreign language. What
I meant to say is that your newsreader seems to use sound to pronounce the
newspostings. Else you couldn't hear it.

I'm sorry. Somewhere the joke got lost in translation.

terry

LD...Thanks..no joy with your suggestions.

As I report here.....I have removed both memory sticks from the memory
banks, rebooted, but STILL the flashing SPD warning !!!
Terry

> This is not a disk operating system (dos) message. Its an informational
> message as a result of the bios findings of your RAM.
>
> Doing anything in windows will do nothing to correct this message.
>
> Not knowing anything about your PC, bios make and version including date,
> and compatibility of the RAM with each other, and if the RAM is compatible
> with the bios and motherboard, there's nothing to say.
>
> This describes SPD in reference to it being missing: Since the message is
> from the bios results of RAM, the message will be strictly as a result of
> the bios. Therefore, the message won't be identical on all PCs with SPD
> capability.
> http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.asp?qid=3760
> Since this definitely a RAM/BIOS setup hardware question, you might check
> here:
> http://www.crucial.com/support/contact_forms/tech_support.asp
>
> "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Win 98SE
> > Re-formatted & clean install of 98SE
> > Installed office 2000
> > Nvidia graphics card.
> >
> > Scandisk & defragged
> >
> > I am passing this PC onto a friend but wish to ensure no errors showing
> etc.
> > etc.
> >
> > I have a mystery "flashing" warning line appearing on every startup (dos
> > screen)as follow:
> > "WARNING!..SPD not found @ DIMMS 1 4"
> > (for info' there is a space between 1 & 4). Boot up continues hey preso!
> > without any key presses etc.
> >
> > I have 2 x 128 Mb memory modules, which I have taken out & tried
different
> > permutations in the 3 availble memory bank slots on the m/b.....still
> same.
> >
> > The PC appears to work OK.
> >
> > Would like to get rid of this gremlin if anyone can help please.....even
> if
> > it means a registry tweak?
> >
> > TIA

I found this on the Crucial web site:

SPD is required in SDRAM that is 66MHz, PC100, and PC133 compliant.
Standards set by Intel and JEDEC ensure that data is entered in appropriate
locations so the motherboard BIOS can understand what this data means. The
SPD standard allows greater flexibility for incorporating identification of
new features and technologies on memory modules.

A lot of ram has a life time warranty so maybe a call to the ram maker is in
order. You also might want to try some other ram if possible.
--

| "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:u0hjykEnFHA.2852
| @TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
|
| > Why?
| >

| It seems I shouldn't try to make jokes in a (for me) foreign language.
What
| I meant to say is that your newsreader seems to use sound to pronounce
the
| newspostings. Else you couldn't hear it.
|
| I'm sorry. Somewhere the joke got lost in translation.

Ah, ha, ha! OK, then. Yea, that was funny. OK, bye.