Repair Internet Explorer

I use Win98 SE, IE6 (SP1) and OE6

I repaired Internet Explorer and received the following prompt:

FILES NEEDED:

The file 'show Desktop.scf' on (unknown) is needed

Type the path where the file is located and then click OK.

Copy files from: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

I tried: Start > Run > regsvr32 /n /i:u shell32 OK but, although this
was shown as successful, the problem remains.

Cannot find any reference to this file on my PC and do not understand
its purpose despite many visits to Google.

Any ideas|information please?

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

To search for it enter in *.scr in the search box.

If you still need it I've attached it to this message.

Show Desktop is the file that produces the paint brush type icon shown on
your bottom left tray and here's a screenshot of what it looks like:
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7071/showdesktopicon3zv.gif

It's to show the Desktop :)
It belongs in your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder

I don't remember ever seeing that message on IE Repair before though.

Rick

Emrys Davies wrote:
> I use Win98 SE, IE6 (SP1) and OE6
>
> I repaired Internet Explorer and received the following prompt:
>
> FILES NEEDED:
>
> The file 'show Desktop.scf' on (unknown) is needed
>
> Type the path where the file is located and then click OK.
>
> Copy files from: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
>
> I tried: Start > Run > regsvr32 /n /i:u shell32 OK but, although this
> was shown as successful, the problem remains.
>
> Cannot find any reference to this file on my PC and do not understand
> its purpose despite many visits to Google.
>
> Any ideas|information please?
>
> Thanks,
> Emrys Davies.

begin 666 Show Desktop.scf
M#0I;4VAE;&Q=#0I#;VUM86YD/3(-"DEC;VY&:6QE/65X<&QO<F5R+F5X92PS
D#0H-"EM487-K8F%R70T*0V]M;6%N9#U4;V=G;&5$97-K=&]P
`
end

Rick Chauvin wrote:
> To search for it enter in *.scr in the search box.

.....a typo of course and I meant to say *.scf

Why did you repair IE, Emrys?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

<snip>

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> To search for it enter in *.scr in the search box.
>
> If you still need it I've attached it to this message.
>
> Show Desktop is the file that produces the paint brush type icon shown
on
> your bottom left tray and here's a screenshot of what it looks like:
> http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7071/showdesktopicon3zv.gif
>
> It's to show the Desktop :)
> It belongs in your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder
>
> I don't remember ever seeing that message on IE Repair before though.
>
> Rick

I had not noticed that the Desktop icon was missing from my Quick Launch
until you mentioned the paint brush icon.

When I searced with *.scf I only found Windows Explorer so I copied your
file to My Documents and dragged it to Quick Launch and also copied it
to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM, like you suggested. Now 'Repair Internet
Explorer' is totally problem free and 'Show Desktop' is back on duty.

I am very pleased with your efforts and I thank you a lot.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Emrys Davies wrote:
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> To search for it enter in *.scr in the search box.
>>
>> If you still need it I've attached it to this message.
>>
>> Show Desktop is the file that produces the paint brush type icon shown
>> on your bottom left tray and here's a screenshot of what it looks like:
>> http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7071/showdesktopicon3zv.gif
>>
>> It's to show the Desktop :)
>> It belongs in your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder
>>
>> I don't remember ever seeing that message on IE Repair before though.
>>
>> Rick
>
> I had not noticed that the Desktop icon was missing from my Quick Launch
> until you mentioned the paint brush icon.
>
> When I searced with *.scf I only found Windows Explorer so I copied your
> file to My Documents and dragged it to Quick Launch and also copied it

I would have suggested to have copied it directly to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM and
then created a shortcut and put that to your QuickLaunch bar, but perhaps
what you did is the same but said it differently. If you ran IE Repair I'm
sure it copied it there anyway now.

> to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM, like you suggested. Now 'Repair Internet
> Explorer' is totally problem free and 'Show Desktop' is back on duty.
>
> I am very pleased with your efforts and I thank you a lot.

I'm pleased that you are pleased and it was my pleasure.

Rick