FS2004 - new user

Subsequent to another thread asking for info of FS on behalf of a
friend, I started to become interested myself.

Bought, and installed FS2004 yesterday, then updated with fs9.1 (Doh -
didn't check if I already was at 9.1), and then added the NO_CD 9.1
version. Working OK.

I've a couple of questions.

1) Don't yet have a joystick. Any recommendations - I will only be
using it with FS2004.

2) First impressions.

The graphics are not as smooth ( I take it that's down to the video
card - radeon x300 lite as supplied by Dell), or detailed as I had
expected. The PC I'm using is a Dell 4700 with 3Gb Pentium processor,
and 1.5Gb memory.

I tried it out very briefly flying a Cessna, but the keyboard is not
really suitable. Truth is it took off itself and I was lost. Anyway,
took off from my home airport (Prestwick, UK), but found the graphics
not smooth not accurate detail. I can understand the accuracy of detail
bit. Are there 3rd party updates of Prestwick which will be more
accurate.

3) This part for future use. Recommend good quality aircraft freeware.

Regards,

Rannoch

More about fs2004 user

    > Bought, and installed FS2004 yesterday, then updated with fs9.1 (Doh -
    > didn't check if I already was at 9.1), and then added the NO_CD 9.1
    > version. Working OK.
    >
    > I've a couple of questions.
    >
    > 1) Don't yet have a joystick. Any recommendations - I will only be
    > using it with FS2004.

    I had a full Yoke/Rudder Pedal system and miss it :*( but have been getting
    by with a Logitech Joystick that's a Extreme 3D Pro. It has a twist handle
    so I can steer down the taxiway/runway if needed. I plan on getting a
    Yoke/Pedal system once I get some money but for right now I can handle it
    using a stick-like interface.

    > 2) First impressions.
    >
    > The graphics are not as smooth ( I take it that's down to the video
    > card - radeon x300 lite as supplied by Dell), or detailed as I had
    > expected. The PC I'm using is a Dell 4700 with 3Gb Pentium processor,
    > and 1.5Gb memory.

    You're ok memory and CPU wise. Video: can someone else tackle this?

    > I tried it out very briefly flying a Cessna, but the keyboard is not
    > really suitable. Truth is it took off itself and I was lost. Anyway,
    > took off from my home airport (Prestwick, UK), but found the graphics
    > not smooth not accurate detail. I can understand the accuracy of detail
    > bit. Are there 3rd party updates of Prestwick which will be more
    > accurate.
    >
    > 3) This part for future use. Recommend good quality aircraft freeware.

    Are there any good freeware planes out there? That's a good question.....I
    can't answer that one....

    > Regards,
    >
    > Rannoch

    2992

    "rannoch" <rannoch@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
    > Subsequent to another thread asking for info of FS on behalf of a
    > friend, I started to become interested myself.
    >
    > Bought, and installed FS2004 yesterday, then updated with fs9.1 (Doh -
    > didn't check if I already was at 9.1), and then added the NO_CD 9.1
    > version. Working OK.
    >
    > I've a couple of questions.
    >
    > 1) Don't yet have a joystick. Any recommendations - I will only be
    > using it with FS2004.
    >
    > 2) First impressions.
    >
    > The graphics are not as smooth ( I take it that's down to the video
    > card - radeon x300 lite as supplied by Dell), or detailed as I had
    > expected. The PC I'm using is a Dell 4700 with 3Gb Pentium processor,
    > and 1.5Gb memory.
    >
    > I tried it out very briefly flying a Cessna, but the keyboard is not
    > really suitable. Truth is it took off itself and I was lost. Anyway,
    > took off from my home airport (Prestwick, UK), but found the graphics
    > not smooth not accurate detail. I can understand the accuracy of detail
    > bit. Are there 3rd party updates of Prestwick which will be more
    > accurate.
    >
    > 3) This part for future use. Recommend good quality aircraft freeware.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Rannoch

    I use a CH yoke USB. Its satisfactory. Has some sticking problems but the
    newer ones may be better. Not familiar with joysticks but you will get good
    input from others.

    Also have a Dell 8400 P4/3.4 ,which came with the X300 PCI express. Since
    upgraded that to the X700 pro and it is an amazing difference.

    Good freeware available at www.avsim.com and http://www.flightsim.com

    good luck
    Bill

    "rannoch" <rannoch@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
    > I've a couple of questions

    >I use a Saitek X45 joystick.Slightly OTT for this sim,but i use other
    combat sims too.You get a good deal for the money.Has a rudder,mouse
    pointer...throttle..
    Everything you need really.

    >Check here for UK vfr-photographic scenery,covers the whole of the England.
    & Wales.Performance won't be affected.Scroll down the page:

    http://www.horizonsimulation.com/UK/index.html

    I don't know what you were expecting, but with the right settings you can
    get the most amazing scenery and smooth flights. I suggest you have a look
    at some of the screenshots that are on the web...several million I should
    think, and stay in this NG until your tweaking has improved. Good luck, you
    will get nothing but help and goodwill here.

    Cheers
    Quilly

    Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    http://www.livtech.co.uk

    Bryan wrote:

    > As for good free planes, there are many but one that springs to mind is the
    > Howard 500. An old twin with radial engines. Looks great, sounds great and
    > is very easy to fly.
    >

    > Bryan

    Bryan and I have similar tastes. Here's just a couple pictures of the
    Howard 500 with a couple others I like to fly. More will be added
    shortly.

    http://flightsims.vze.com/virtual/
    and
    http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2howardfs2002strip2dq.jpg

    The aero-commander is another great airplane.
    http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aerocmdr9nx.jpg
    and the Socata
    http://img79.imageshack.us/my.php?image=socata01.jpg

    and..... you get the idea. :)

    --

    boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    I'm considering either the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro or the Logitech
    Wingman Force 3d

    I been given a loan of the Extreme 3D Pro. Really feels nice,
    ergonomics great, sturdy ... I like this one.

    The one niggle is that I've read about calibration problems. Is this a
    big issue?

    Regards

    Rannoch

    G'day Rannoch ,
    First choice would be the Yoke/ Rudder pedal combo
    , then Logitech Wingman series. Flying with the keyboard leads only to
    frustration.

    FS2004 is a greedy bugger resource wise , CPU and RAM are ample , but you
    gotta do something about that Video card. The 6600GT card is extremely good
    value right now , and should give you a good framerate. Bigger faster cards
    are great too ,but they can be pricey !! Be sure to have the latest drivers
    for whatever card you use.

    There are alternative textures for trees , clouds , water etc are available
    on the net , www.avsim.com and www.flightsim .com are good places to start.
    Also look for updated Terrain Mesh and Landclass files .

    For free updated scenery files , this site is absolute gold :
    http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004.php

    For good stuff from my neck of the woods ( Australia ) try here :
    http://ozmesh.com/real.htm

    For just about everything else , this site will keep you amused for hours :
    http://www.tony.smiths.btinternet.co.uk/fsgate1.html

    Ross

    "rannoch" <rannoch@forums.simradar.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I'm considering either the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro or the Logitech
    > Wingman Force 3d
    >
    > I been given a loan of the Extreme 3D Pro. Really feels nice,
    > ergonomics great, sturdy ... I like this one.
    >
    > The one niggle is that I've read about calibration problems. Is this a
    > big issue?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Rannoch

    I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D pro on various games for almost 6 months
    now. The first thing you will notice that the current Logitech Driver does
    not feature a calibration possibility as this stick is auto-calibrating. It
    seemed weird to me at first glance but after quite some experience I must
    state that I never came across any problems due to that fact. In my opinion
    currently the state-of-the art joystick (if you like the twist-grip of
    course...).
    --
    Oskar Wagner
    (retired Captain)

    Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....

    And the Extreme 3D Pro is hard to beat at US$17.99 including shipping
    (USA only).
    http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1109436 I
    have one and really like it.

    Trip

    "Trip Lane" <Trip@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    > And the Extreme 3D Pro is hard to beat at US$17.99 including shipping
    > (USA only).
    > http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1109436 I
    > have one and really like it.
    >
    > Trip

    WOW, what a price. I paid a lot more than that for mine :( Best Buy if you
    can imagine......

    2992

    Yep, me too. I bought mine a couple of months ago at about twice that
    price.

    "2992" <nope@no_one.com> wrote in message news:wXKIe.86$KX4.45@okepread05...

    > "Trip Lane" <Trip@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    >> And the Extreme 3D Pro is hard to beat at US$17.99 including shipping
    >> (USA only).
    >> http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1109436 I
    >> have one and really like it.
    >>
    >> Trip
    >
    > WOW, what a price. I paid a lot more than that for mine :( Best Buy if
    > you can imagine......
    >
    > 2992

Video Games