'File already in use/ open' message

Hi all, hope you can help.

I've just set up a new e-machines PC for my wife running
XP Home. Whenever she opens a file the system says the
file is already in use/ open by (her signon name) and
that she should close the open file or choose to make a
copy. By dismissing the message she can proceed with her
work. I've duplicated the problem and made sure there are
no files open when the message appears and, yes, she's
the only user of this PC.

My question is - how to eliminate the message.

Thanks,

Pat Stubbs (her husband)
2 answers Last reply
More about file open message

    Jack, thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion and
    am still experiencing the same problem. Any further
    direction? Thanks, Pat

    to it. Delete your wife's account. reboot. create her
    account again.
    > Hi all, hope you can help.
    >
    > I've just set up a new e-machines PC for my wife
    running
    > XP Home. Whenever she opens a file the system says the
    > file is already in use/ open by (her signon name) and
    > that she should close the open file or choose to make
    > copy. By dismissing the message she can proceed with
    her
    > work. I've duplicated the problem and made sure there
    are
    > no files open when the message appears and, yes, she's
    > the only user of this PC.
    >
    > My question is - how to eliminate the message.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Pat Stubbs (her husband)

    I have exactly the same problem . I'll try the suggested solution.

    "Pat" wrote:

    > Jack, thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion and
    > am still experiencing the same problem. Any further
    > direction? Thanks, Pat

Microsoft Windows XP