Windows 98 start up

When I start win98 I get error message
MSGSRV32 caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.dll
and I get no further
4 answers Last reply
More about windows start

    >When I start win98 I get error message
    >MSGSRV32 caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.dll
    >and I get no further

    Troubleshooting should follow this logic:

    1. Start Win95/98 in Safe Mode.
    If the trouble does not appear in Safe Mode, then the trouble is
    caused by software conflicts or defects. Investigate each of the
    functions that Safe Mode turns off.

    2. If the trouble also occurs in Safe Mode, rename the current Windows
    folder and reinstall Win95/98 into an empty folder.
    If the trouble does not appear with a fresh installation, the trouble
    is caused by something you have added to Win95/98 (but something that
    is not turned off by Safe Mode).

    3. If the trouble occurs even with a fresh install of Windows, the
    trouble is arising in hardware.

    Safe Mode does the following:
    (a) bypasses config.sys and autoexec.bat
    (b) prevents programs from starting automatically (from win.ini
    or the startup folder)
    (c) uses standard VGA video
    (d) prevents a network from being started
    (e) disables protected mode device drivers (those listed in
    Device Manager)
    (f) bypasses the [boot] and [386Enh] sections of system.ini
    For more details, see document 122051 in the Microsoft KnowledgeBase.

    If Safe Mode makes the problem go away, you can try tests from the
    list below to pin down the cause of the problem. For more elaborate
    instructions, see document 156126 in the KnowledgeBase, which explains
    how to do troubleshooting in Safe Mode.

    With Windows 98, you can use MSConfig to help you run the tests below.
    With Windows 95, you can use Startup Control Panel. Startup Control
    Panel is similar to the Msconfig utility that ships in Windows 98. It
    can make troubleshooting easier by removing and restoring items from
    the Windows startup. You can get Startup Control Panel as freeware
    from:

    http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/startupcpl/

    Startup Cop can also disable items loading at Windows startup and it
    is freeware. You can download Startup Cop from:

    http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,77594,.html

    Yet another option is msconfig.exe as adapted to Win95:

    http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Msconfig.htm

    1. Change the video driver to Microsoft's Standard Display Adapter
    (VGA). Restart Windows and test.

    2. Rename the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat to Config.sss and
    Autoexec.bbb, or edit them so that the only things loading are
    absolutely necessary for the computer to run. The latter items might
    be a SCSI driver for the harddrive, or disk management software for an
    EIDE drive. Deactivate EVERYTHING else by putting REM in front of
    that line. Reboot the computer and test.

    3. Remove EVERYTHING from the Start Menu/Startup folder by dragging
    their icons onto the desktop. Also disable or uninstall all utilities
    that are running TSR (such as Norton Navigator, SoftRam or Macafee
    AV). Restart Windows and test.

    4. Rename the Win.ini and System.ini to Win.iii and System.iii. Then
    make a copy of System.cb and name it System.ini. Do not rename
    System.cb itself. Edit the new System.ini as follows: Add
    device=*vmd
    to the [386Enh] section, and add
    drivers=mmsystem.dll
    mouse.drv=mouse.drv
    to the [boot] section. Restart Windows. You probably will have no
    mouse so you'll have to use keystrokes to do the following. Go into
    Device Manager and select the mouse (which will have a yellow
    exclamation point). Click "Remove." Again, restart Windows. Windows
    should find the mouse and install software for it. Test.

    5. With Windows 98, run the System File Checker. Go to Start/Run and
    enter "sfc".

    6. Rename the current Windows folder (directory). Then install
    Win95/98 to a new, empty folder. Test. If problem does not occur, it
    was caused by something in the old installation. I recommend that you
    keep this new installation and reinstall your Windows applications.

    When you reinstall applications, install Windows applications that
    were written for Win95/98 or WinNT but do not install older
    applications that were written for Windows 3.x. Install only one
    application at a time and test the system thoroughly before installing
    another application. Before you install and application, make a system
    snapshot with a program such as ConfigSafe; this will allow you to
    revert to the previous situation if (when) you install an application
    that causes trouble. With Win98, it is also possible to run "ScanReg
    /Backup" before you install an application, which allows you to
    restore the Registry if (when) you install an application that causes
    trouble. However, it is safer to make a complete system backup and
    recovery with ConfigSafe or a similar product.

    The following articles explain how to install into a new folder:

    How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/96.asp

    How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/193/9/02.asp

    Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.

    Bill Starbuck (MVP)

    Here's a couple of articles to check out:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=187965
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209321
    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Brin SJ" <Brin SJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I start win98 I get error message
    > MSGSRV32 caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.dll
    > and I get no further

    Hi
    I am having the same exact problems. I am sure it does not have anything to
    do with hardware as this boots into WinXP without any problems (it is a dual
    boot system): This computer worked fine until about 2 weeks ago. I was
    installing a new printer software in Win98 and the driver installation fail
    to complete everytime and gives some kind of error. and I ditched the
    printer, assuming the software is bad. My reaction was to update my
    computer virus as well as Microsoft updates. But things took a turn for the
    worst yesterday: I was installing another printer and the "building driver
    information database" started up and then gave error: "MSGSRV32 an error has
    occurred ....bla bla bla (close) (Ignore).
    I chose (Close) and the crashed. I turned of computer and turn on again
    after about 2 minutes. Computer start booting up and started the "building
    driver information database" thing then MSGSR32 caused a general protection
    fault in module setupx.dll at 0004:00005dll.....bla bla bla. Of course the
    computer fail to boot into Win98se. I am thinking virus. anybody has any
    info/help this I would appreciate the help

    "Bill Starbuck" <no_email@please.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > application at a time and test the system thoroughly before installing
    > another application. Before you install and application, make a system
    > snapshot with a program such as ConfigSafe; this will allow you to
    > revert to the previous situation if (when) you install an application
    > that causes trouble. With Win98, it is also possible to run "ScanReg
    > /Backup" before you install an application, which allows you to
    > restore the Registry if (when) you install an application that causes
    > trouble. However, it is safer to make a complete system backup and
    > recovery with ConfigSafe or a similar product.
    >
    > The following articles explain how to install into a new folder:
    >
    > How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/96.asp
    >
    > How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306618
    Error Message When You Start Your Computer: Msgsrv32 Caused Segment Not
    Present Fault in Module Setupx.dll

    It says to extract a new copy of Setupx.dll. Yours is corrupt!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

Windows 98 Kernel32 Microsoft Windows