Beware of ZoneAlarm Ver 6!

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 9, 2005 3:47:43 AM

Hi,

I have been a user of ZoneAlarm Pro Ver 5.5 firewall for past one year
(Over Win98SE running 'Mcafee VirusScan' as antivirus). Two days ago I
upgraded to new ZoneAlarm Pro Ver 6 ( I did a clean install). This what
I faced -
1. While running Win98's scandisk and defragmenter, they kept
restarting after every few seconds.
2. At the time of booting got black screen & message that HIMEM.SYS is
missing therefore cannot start windows. Got this message thrice.
Luckily on restart (cold boot), windows ran.
3. Panicked, I uninstalled ZoneAlarm. After that, on every restart it
displayed black screen & message that VXDATA95.VXD is missing therefore
windows may not function properly. Luckily after pressing ENTER key
twice Win98 starts loading and runs without problems.
4. I was able to trace the method for fixing above problem in internet.
It involved deletion of registry keys. It worked for me.

I am still feeling uneasy and may not even go back to ver 5.5.

Please be warned!

Thanks,
Xplorar

More about : beware zonealarm ver

August 9, 2005 4:02:03 AM

I dumped this idiot company long time ago.

"Xplorar" <xplorar@mantramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been a user of ZoneAlarm Pro Ver 5.5 firewall for past one year
> (Over Win98SE running 'Mcafee VirusScan' as antivirus). Two days ago I
> upgraded to new ZoneAlarm Pro Ver 6 ( I did a clean install). This what
> I faced -
> 1. While running Win98's scandisk and defragmenter, they kept
> restarting after every few seconds.
> 2. At the time of booting got black screen & message that HIMEM.SYS is
> missing therefore cannot start windows. Got this message thrice.
> Luckily on restart (cold boot), windows ran.
> 3. Panicked, I uninstalled ZoneAlarm. After that, on every restart it
> displayed black screen & message that VXDATA95.VXD is missing therefore
> windows may not function properly. Luckily after pressing ENTER key
> twice Win98 starts loading and runs without problems.
> 4. I was able to trace the method for fixing above problem in internet.
> It involved deletion of registry keys. It worked for me.
>
> I am still feeling uneasy and may not even go back to ver 5.5.
>
> Please be warned!
>
> Thanks,
> Xplorar

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 3:18:08 PM

"Xplorar" <xplorar@mantramail.com> wrote in message

> I have been a user of ZoneAlarm Pro Ver 5.5 firewall for past one year
> (Over Win98SE running 'Mcafee VirusScan' as antivirus). Two days ago I
> upgraded to new ZoneAlarm Pro Ver 6 ( I did a clean install). This what
> I faced -
> 1. While running Win98's scandisk and defragmenter, they kept
> restarting after every few seconds.

Rebooting into Safe Mode usually avoids this. (It is a hint that more
RAM might help your PC run better.)

> 2. At the time of booting got black screen & message that HIMEM.SYS is
> missing therefore cannot start windows. Got this message thrice.
> Luckily on restart (cold boot), windows ran.

Win98 requires HIMEM.SYS on loading -- and failure to
find it or load it OK seems to be the single commonest
variety of boot failure. This is most easily cured by knowing
where HIMEM.SYS is stored and recopying it to C:\Windows.

> 3. Panicked, I uninstalled ZoneAlarm. After that, on every restart it
> displayed black screen & message that VXDATA95.VXD is missing therefore
> windows may not function properly. Luckily after pressing ENTER key
> twice Win98 starts loading and runs without problems.

When you installed ZA it probably wrote a file call for this
VXD into either WINDOWS.INI or SYSTEM.INI -- which the
uninstal procedure omitted to remove. Have a look at these
two files ( / start / run / SYSEDIT.EXE) and REM out the
file call if you find it. Correct reinstallation of ZA would
add the file call again.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your responses!

I would like to add some more details about observations-

1. Before the upgrade, I was able to run both defragger and scandisk
with ZA 5.5 & AV running in background. Yes, sometimes there were
restarts but only if there was some internet activity. However with ZA
6, the restarts were constantly happening within 10-15 sec intervals!
Only stopping the ZA 6 let me complete the scandisk and defrag. It
seems that with ZA 6, there is always some constant HardDisk activity.

2. I disabled Anti-spyware and Antivirus Monitoring in ZA 6. Therefore
they may not be culprits to the problems I faced.

3. I believe that HIMEM.SYS error was due to some mishandling of
files/memory by ZA6. I had never seen this problem before installing
ZA6 and I never saw it again after uninstalling it. I never
tampered/moved/copied HIMEM.SYS during this whole period.

4. I remember that I did not explicitly close ZA 6 before uninstalling
it. I agree that it could have been the root cause of VXDATA95.VXD
problem. That problem got rectified after deleting the corresponding
VXD entry in Windows Registry.

Today, after gathering back my nerves, I re-installed ZA 5.5. No
problems so far. I breathe easy now.

I have made a decision though - no more upgrade of ZA on my PC! I think
that ZA 5.5 is final stable version for Win98SE. I also read somewhere
that starting from version 6, Win98SE will not be "rigorously"
supported by ZA. After going through this ordeal, I believe its true!

Thanks again!
Xplorar
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:01:56 PM

> Hi everyone! Thanks for all your responses!
>
> I would like to add some more details about observations-
>
> 1. Before the upgrade, I was able to run both defragger and scandisk
> with ZA 5.5 & AV running in background. Yes, sometimes there were
> restarts but only if there was some internet activity. However with
ZA
> 6, the restarts were constantly happening within 10-15 sec
intervals!
> Only stopping the ZA 6 let me complete the scandisk and defrag. It
> seems that with ZA 6, there is always some constant HardDisk
activity.

> 2. I disabled Anti-spyware and Antivirus Monitoring in ZA 6.
Therefore
> they may not be culprits to the problems I faced.
>
> 3. I believe that HIMEM.SYS error was due to some mishandling of
> files/memory by ZA6. I had never seen this problem before installing
> ZA6 and I never saw it again after uninstalling it. I never
> tampered/moved/copied HIMEM.SYS during this whole period.
>
> 4. I remember that I did not explicitly close ZA 6 before
uninstalling
> it. I agree that it could have been the root cause of VXDATA95.VXD
> problem. That problem got rectified after deleting the corresponding
> VXD entry in Windows Registry.
>
> Today, after gathering back my nerves, I re-installed ZA 5.5. No
> problems so far. I breathe easy now.
>
> I have made a decision though - no more upgrade of ZA on my PC! I
think
> that ZA 5.5 is final stable version for Win98SE. I also read
somewhere
> that starting from version 6, Win98SE will not be "rigorously"
> supported by ZA. After going through this ordeal, I believe its
true!

You can believe it all right! I didn't want to believe it when they
stopped supporting Win98. I did the upgrades. Big problems. I went
back to the 4.5.595 and I've had no problems since. Newer versions
are resource hogs and Win98 just can't spare it. I like the Cache
Cleaner and Privacy features, so I continue to pay for it. It's a
very good firewall for the money. I kept the Setup.exe for 4.5 so I
can re-install if the database gets corrupted, which happens some
times.

charlie R
August 10, 2005 9:35:32 AM

"Xplorar" <xplorar@mantramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been a user of ZoneAlarm Pro Ver 5.5 firewall for past one year
> (Over Win98SE running 'Mcafee VirusScan' as antivirus). Two days ago I
> upgraded to new ZoneAlarm Pro Ver 6 ( I did a clean install). This what
> I faced -
> 1. While running Win98's scandisk and defragmenter, they kept
> restarting after every few seconds.
> 2. At the time of booting got black screen & message that HIMEM.SYS is
> missing therefore cannot start windows. Got this message thrice.
> Luckily on restart (cold boot), windows ran.
> 3. Panicked, I uninstalled ZoneAlarm. After that, on every restart it
> displayed black screen & message that VXDATA95.VXD is missing therefore
> windows may not function properly. Luckily after pressing ENTER key
> twice Win98 starts loading and runs without problems.
> 4. I was able to trace the method for fixing above problem in internet.
> It involved deletion of registry keys. It worked for me.
>
> I am still feeling uneasy and may not even go back to ver 5.5.
>
> Please be warned!
>
> Thanks,
> Xplorar

I got rid of Zone Alarm because I found it interfered with some programmes
and I installed AVG which is a free protection programme and never have a
problem now
Blair
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:01:52 AM

> I got rid of Zone Alarm because I found it interfered with some programmes
> and I installed AVG which is a free protection programme and never have a
> problem now

Do you have AVG and Firewall of AVG without? And AVG Free? Please pardon my
questions that aren't related. :-)
August 12, 2005 10:26:07 AM

"jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
> > I got rid of Zone Alarm because I found it interfered with some
programmes
> > and I installed AVG which is a free protection programme and never have
> > problem now
>
> Do you have AVG and Firewall of AVG without? And AVG Free? Please pardon
my
> questions that aren't related. :-)

I have AVG free and use the Firewall in XP
Blair
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:31:11 PM

> I have AVG free and use the Firewall in XP

I use AVG Free and like you - haven't had anything against it. I really am
pleased with it. I've got Win98 and therefore don't have the XP FW. I don't
use any firewall.
August 12, 2005 7:49:18 PM

"jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
news:o p7wtp0nFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > I have AVG free and use the Firewall in XP
>
> I use AVG Free and like you - haven't had anything against it. I really am
> pleased with it. I've got Win98 and therefore don't have the XP FW. I
don't
> use any firewall.

I think it is very desirable to make use of a Firewall. Some else might be
able to recommend one for 98 users
Blair
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:49:19 PM

> I think it is very desirable to make use of a Firewall. Some else might be
> able to recommend one for 98 users

I am on a network and the router has a firewall(though I wouldn't trust it
fully). If I wanted a FW then I'd look into AVG for a free one. I trust
them. I used ZA a long time ago before I decided it wasn't needed.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:49:20 PM

"jkb" <nospam> wrote in message news:o jCXNJ1nFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > I think it is very desirable to make use of a Firewall. Some else might be
> > able to recommend one for 98 users
>
> I am on a network and the router has a firewall(though I wouldn't trust it
> fully). If I wanted a FW then I'd look into AVG for a free one. I trust
> them. I used ZA a long time ago before I decided it wasn't needed.

While a router is a good firewall, it is only for incoming and doesn't stop any
outgoing.
If there is a program (legal or illegal) that is trying to call out or connect
your PC to another source (one that you didn't authorize), the software firewall
would most likely prevent it or at least notify you of the event.
If, for instance, a virus program slips past your anti-virus (yes, it does
happen) and then tries to 'call-out' or spread itself to other computers, your
router won't stop it or even notify you.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:49:21 PM

> While a router is a good firewall, it is only for incoming and doesn't
stop any
> outgoing.
> If there is a program (legal or illegal) that is trying to call out or
connect
> your PC to another source (one that you didn't authorize), the software
firewall
> would most likely prevent it or at least notify you of the event.

I know - ZA did that when I had it. No program I didn't trust tried
anything.

> If, for instance, a virus program slips past your anti-virus (yes, it does
> happen) and then tries to 'call-out' or spread itself to other computers,
your
> router won't stop it or even notify you.

I think I'd notice - my brother who runs XP has the XP firewall and I don't
think he's had any problem(he's on my network). The network I'm on only uses
Read-only shared folders - no full permissions, wouldn't that stop anything?

Hope I'm not being confiusing.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:04:33 PM

> Bad idea. I suggest checking out Sygate personal firewall. it's free
> for personal use and it's rock solid. Beats ZA all to hell.

What's the danger? I'm NOT contradicting you - I really want to know.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:15:38 AM

The original sender is unknown. Any address shown in the From header
is unverified. You need a valid hashcash token to post to groups other
than alt.test and alt.anonymous.messages. Visit www.panta-rhei.dyndns.org
for abuse and hashcash info.
!