Feb 20, 2006
well this is my system

mobo: asus P4P800-x
Ram: 2x512mb DDR 400 Kingston
Processor: Pentium 4 3.0 Prescott
Coolet Zalman 7000 cu led
1 sata western digital 120gb hdd
psu: chieftec 360W

well my problem is when i bought my cooler i just let it burn the termal for a while like 2/3 weeks and then i tried to oc to 3.2 i tried two ways lowernig the v core to 1.375 and raised the bus to 221 and kept my ram on 400mhz and it booted but the system was slower loading everything alot slower, then i traide raising the vcore to the original and lowering the bus, kepping the ram on 400mhz, same result everything was slower and my zalman is kept on full speed,l my temps got up a bit but nothing seriuos but everything was slower. am i doing anything wrong or is my mobo not able to oc my proc.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
First lowering your vcore is not a good thing when overclocking since when you raise the fsb you will get a less stable system, most overclockers raise the vcore to get a more stable system, but make sure you are within the limits of what your processor can handle,

Raise the fsb by small incriments, and keep a check on temps with asusprobe (should be on the motherboard cd)

test stability with prime 95, and test speeds with benchmark programs like 3D mark

make sure to benchmark your system before you overclock and compare to results after an overclock

if you want to reset your setting on the bios, just connect the two reset jumper leads on the Motherboard and there you go, or you can remove the MB battery(make sure the PSU is unpluged), but your motherboard should boot in safe mode after an unsucessful overclock.

Dont worry about frying your cpu by just raising the fsb because it is almost impossible with most asus boards
My Asus motherboard will give a post message for an unsuccesful overclock EX)if the fsb is raised to high or incorect timings for mem, ect.

REMEMBER to stay below the max vcore for your processor or else it will fry

Hopes this helps you.

falsterbo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
well this is my system

mobo: asus P4P800-x
Ram: 2x512mb DDR 400 Kingston
Processor: Pentium 4 3.0 Prescott
Coolet Zalman 7000 cu led
1 sata western digital 120gb hdd
psu: chieftec 360W

well my problem is when i bought my cooler i just let it burn the termal for a while like 2/3 weeks and then i tried to oc to 3.2 i tried two ways lowernig the v core to 1.375 and raised the bus to 221 and kept my ram on 400mhz and it booted but the system was slower loading everything alot slower, then i traide raising the vcore to the original and lowering the bus, kepping the ram on 400mhz, same result everything was slower and my zalman is kept on full speed,l my temps got up a bit but nothing seriuos but everything was slower. am i doing anything wrong or is my mobo not able to oc my proc.

I know you should do the overclocking in small steps but some people can´t bare to wait so... My settings for my old P4 530 3,0GHz was:

- Clocked: 15 x 240MHz = 3600MHz
- FSB: 240MHz
- Ram: set to 1,66x (333MHz) because it couldn´t handle 480MHz, so it runs at 1,66 x 240MHz = 398,4MHz (Your ram would easily do an FSB of 246MHz, if it doesn´t and you want to go higher, then you´ll have to drop down to 1,33x (266MHz) and then it will hopefully go to a FSB of 307MHz.
- vCore: set to 1,42v here you should really look at your temps, try a program like SpeedFan to monitor your cpu temp. My cpu goes up to 60c when it has ran on 100% load for about 1,5 hour in Prime95 (no errors).

To get this right with vCore:
Start with standard voltage (if windows doesn´t launch with standard vCore then higher it a bit...) and run Prime95, it will fail directly... Then push up the vCore one step. It will fail again but this time it takes some seconds or minutes longer to fail. Proceed with this until you have zero errors in Prime95, then run 3DMark06 (or 05, 03 depending on your graphicscard).
If you want to go even higher with your clock speed then just keep on going with raising the vCore till you get zero erros, but BEAWARE of the temp!!!

- Mem volt: Standard voltage, because it runs at ~400MHz...

That´s a start for you! You can reach 3,6GHz without any problems if you have a good air-flow and good fans in your computer. If you want to go higher than 3,6GHz, then it needs much more voltage (vCore)...

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
well i just tried a smal oc
it was 15x215 wich gives me 3.22
my mem was at 215mhz =430mhz
the Vcore was 1.425
my temps with clocking=47 in idle
the computer booted fine it benche very nice too but when it went on prime it would give me a error that didn't occur when wasn't clocked can somebody give me some any advice on what i am doing wrong .
*Edit*

ok so i tried and raise my v core a bit i went to 1.5vcore then i got spooked ut every increment of vcore it given me errors like this last on at the 1.5 vcore
[Sat May 06 16:16:52 2006]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
i only raised my v core in search of stability the windows booted wich was fine but no stability going back to stock and wait for some help :(

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Sometimes raising the vAGP will help with stability as it's said to increase

voltage to northbridge. Maybe try 1.60 then if not stable try 1.70. I've had

mine at 1.80 for ages, with no problems to GPU, or MB.