changing from home pc to server

hi,
I have heard that changing a setting in 'device\performance\file system\hard
disk' from 'desktop computer' to 'network server' actually speeds up a
computer as it thinks it has a larger job to do and ergo performs better.
Can anyone here confirm this.
tia

...Rex..
13 answers Last reply
More about changing home server

    Hi Rex

    Yes, my Thinkpad is much faster - not at running progs but much less time
    booting and seeking. Also went for the manual memory setting of 2.5 x ram.

    Go for it.

    Stef

    If this setting ever worked, it was back when "hot" PCs had 16 mb of ram, a
    486 or P1 processor and W95. I could not notice a difference back then and
    I surely could not today with a P4 that is nearly instantaneous as it is.
    You can try the setting and when it doesn't work, no harm will occur.
    Limiting the size of a swap file can cause problems so don't do that.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Rex" <Rex@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > I have heard that changing a setting in 'device\performance\file
    > system\hard
    > disk' from 'desktop computer' to 'network server' actually speeds up a
    > computer as it thinks it has a larger job to do and ergo performs better.
    > Can anyone here confirm this.
    > tia
    >
    > ..Rex..

    "Control Panel, System, Performance tab, File System button, Typical
    Role".

    "Windows 98 Secrets" (Livingston/Straub), p. 1039, says it governs how
    fast Windows 98 may display file names & folders...

    "If you choose Network Server, Vcache caches 64 directory paths and 2729
    filenames in memory. If you choose Desktop Computer, it caches 32 paths
    and 677 files. The Desktop Computer setting uses 10K of memory as cache
    and the Network Server setting uses 40K. You can most likely spare the
    additional 30K to speed up access to your files and folders."

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Rex" <Rex@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | hi,
    | I have heard that changing a setting in 'device\performance\file
    system\hard
    | disk' from 'desktop computer' to 'network server' actually speeds up a
    | computer as it thinks it has a larger job to do and ergo performs
    better.
    | Can anyone here confirm this.
    | tia
    |
    | ..Rex..

    "Rex" <Rex@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > I have heard that changing a setting in 'device\performance\file
    system\hard
    > disk' from 'desktop computer' to 'network server' actually speeds up a
    > computer as it thinks it has a larger job to do and ergo performs better.
    > Can anyone here confirm this.
    > tia

    Microsoft got the settings reversed, so, when you set your PC
    to 'network server', you are actually setting it to the correct value
    that the 'desktop computer' setting should have had in the first place.

    All the tweak does is make one Registry change,
    if I remember correctly.

    What is a manual memory setting of 2.5X ram? Surely you are not talking
    about limiting virtual memory. This "theory" was debunked years ago.

    --

    "stefaroo" <stefaroo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Rex
    >
    > Yes, my Thinkpad is much faster - not at running progs but much less time
    > booting and seeking. Also went for the manual memory setting of 2.5 x ram.
    >
    > Go for it.
    >
    > Stef

    Hi again, Ron

    Like I said, it works for me.

    We laptop owners with PII, 128mB RAM, 98se, lots of hungry applications and
    a wife-restricted wallet need all the help we can get.

    Stefaroo

    Hugh,

    That error only existed in the original version of W95 and W95a--it was
    corrected in OSR2 and W98.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;138012
    --

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

    > "Rex" <Rex@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> hi,
    >> I have heard that changing a setting in 'device\performance\file
    > system\hard
    >> disk' from 'desktop computer' to 'network server' actually speeds up a
    >> computer as it thinks it has a larger job to do and ergo performs better.
    >> Can anyone here confirm this.
    >> tia
    >
    > Microsoft got the settings reversed, so, when you set your PC
    > to 'network server', you are actually setting it to the correct value
    > that the 'desktop computer' setting should have had in the first place.
    >
    > All the tweak does is make one Registry change,
    > if I remember correctly.

    Sometimes things just seem faster when they really are not. For example,
    you said your ThinkPad boots faster but that is impossible as the setting
    has nothing to do with the boot process (see PCR's post). I guess I remain
    skeptical even though several people have told me it makes a difference <G>.
    --

    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > Hugh,
    >
    > That error only existed in the original version of W95 and W95a--it was
    > corrected in OSR2 and W98.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;138012
    > --

    Correct.

    I meant to include that info, but somehow managed to leave it out.

    "" wrote:
    > hi,
    > I have heard that changing a setting in
    > 'deviceperformancefile systemhard
    > disk' from 'desktop computer' to 'network server' actually
    > speeds up a
    > computer as it thinks it has a larger job to do and ergo
    > performs better.
    > Can anyone here confirm this.
    > tia
    >
    > ...Rex..

    I guess what this dose is move the performance focus to backgroud
    services so they perform better and ergo means any program you are
    using will perform worse, this is just a educated guess, so I could be
    wrong.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-changing-home-pc-server-ftopict406500.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1348084

    Hi all, many thanks for a vast array of replies.
    Perhaps I should have worded it differently, perhaps
    asking whether it increases a computers performance
    as opposed to just speeding it up.
    With the diversity of replies, would it be correct to believe that
    making the change is a worthwhile tweak?
    Cheers.

    ...Rex..

    > "Control Panel, System, Performance tab, File System button, Typical
    > Role".
    >
    > "Windows 98 Secrets" (Livingston/Straub), p. 1039, says it governs how
    > fast Windows 98 may display file names & folders...
    >
    > "If you choose Network Server, Vcache caches 64 directory paths and 2729
    > filenames in memory. If you choose Desktop Computer, it caches 32 paths
    > and 677 files. The Desktop Computer setting uses 10K of memory as cache
    > and the Network Server setting uses 40K. You can most likely spare the
    > additional 30K to speed up access to your files and folders."
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Rex" <Rex@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | hi,
    > | I have heard that changing a setting in 'device\performance\file
    > system\hard
    > | disk' from 'desktop computer' to 'network server' actually speeds up a
    > | computer as it thinks it has a larger job to do and ergo performs
    > better.
    > | Can anyone here confirm this.
    > | tia
    > |
    > | ..Rex..

    Yea, go ahead & do it, Rex.

    --
    | Hi all, many thanks for a vast array of replies.
    | Perhaps I should have worded it differently, perhaps
    | asking whether it increases a computers performance
    | as opposed to just speeding it up.
    | With the diversity of replies, would it be correct to believe that
    | making the change is a worthwhile tweak?
    | Cheers.
    |
    | ..Rex..

    | > "Control Panel, System, Performance tab, File System button, Typical
    | > Role".
    | >
    | > "Windows 98 Secrets" (Livingston/Straub), p. 1039, says it governs
    how
    | > fast Windows 98 may display file names & folders...
    | >
    | > "If you choose Network Server, Vcache caches 64 directory paths and
    2729
    | > filenames in memory. If you choose Desktop Computer, it caches 32
    paths
    | > and 677 files. The Desktop Computer setting uses 10K of memory as
    cache
    | > and the Network Server setting uses 40K. You can most likely spare
    the
    | > additional 30K to speed up access to your files and folders."
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Rex" <Rex@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > | hi,
    | > | I have heard that changing a setting in 'device\performance\file
    | > system\hard
    | > | disk' from 'desktop computer' to 'network server' actually speeds
    up a
    | > | computer as it thinks it has a larger job to do and ergo performs
    | > better.
    | > | Can anyone here confirm this.
    | > | tia
    | > |
    | > | ..Rex..
    | > |
    | > |

    If you think it is going to speed up either a game, typical computer
    operations or starting and shutting down, then the tweak will not give you
    improved performance. If you are looking to speed up access to files and
    folders (the things a server normally does), then the tweak *may* show some
    improvement because of the increased cache size. It does not hurt anything
    to try it so give it a shot and then post back your results.

    --

Computers Servers Windows