Cannot get favourites back in Internet Explorer

September 15, 2004 7:36:18 AM

Hi, my Dad and I are using XP Home with IE 6. I have supervisor rights he
doesn't (you'll see why next). Dad has somehow deleted his favourites and
now when he clicks to open the favourites there is just a bare, grey panel.
If he goes up to Favourites in the top tool bar, this is just 'add to
favourites' and 'organise favourites' in grey nothing below that and it cant
be operated from there.

His favourites are still in his 'my documents' folder but nothing will
induce them back to IE. Could SKS please help me get them back.

--
To reply personally please remove the .au from my hotmail address.

Please check our my website.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~sirhc/index.ht...
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 7:36:19 AM

"DramaQueen" <bertiesmum@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi, my Dad and I are using XP Home with IE 6. I have supervisor rights he
> doesn't (you'll see why next). Dad has somehow deleted his favourites and
> now when he clicks to open the favourites there is just a bare, grey
> panel.
> If he goes up to Favourites in the top tool bar, this is just 'add to
> favourites' and 'organise favourites' in grey nothing below that and it
> cant
> be operated from there.
>
> His favourites are still in his 'my documents' folder but nothing will
> induce them back to IE. Could SKS please help me get them back.
> --

As you indicated, My Favorites is located at: C:\Documents and
Settings\"User_Name"\Favorites

IF this folder is empty, then his listing of favorites is gone (gray screen
you indicated).
Do you have a backup of the Documents and Settings folder? If so, you could
restore from this.

gb
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 7:36:19 AM

It sounds like he accidentally moved his "Favorites" folder from it's usual
location here C:\Documents and Settings\<his account name>Favorites into his
My Documents folder.

Try this. Start Internet Explorer. Go to File->Import and Export. this
starts a wizard. Select "Export Favorites" and click Next. Then locate the
Favorites folder that is presently in the My Documents directory. Just
select the Favorites folder itself and let it Export to a File or Address in
My Documents. The default filename is bookmark.htm. Just let it save there
and click Finish. Now from IE again return to File Import and Export. This
time select "Import Favorites" and click Next. Locate the file bookmark.htm
that you just created. Let the Import Favorites Destination be "Favorites"
and click Next then Finish.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"DramaQueen" <bertiesmum@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi, my Dad and I are using XP Home with IE 6. I have supervisor rights he
> doesn't (you'll see why next). Dad has somehow deleted his favourites and
> now when he clicks to open the favourites there is just a bare, grey
> panel.
> If he goes up to Favourites in the top tool bar, this is just 'add to
> favourites' and 'organise favourites' in grey nothing below that and it
> cant
> be operated from there.
>
> His favourites are still in his 'my documents' folder but nothing will
> induce them back to IE. Could SKS please help me get them back.
>

> --
> To reply personally please remove the .au from my hotmail address.
>

> Please check our my website.
> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~sirhc/index.ht...

September 16, 2004 5:37:32 AM

< Try this. Start Internet Explorer. Go to File->Import and Export. this
starts a wizard. Select "Export Favorites" and click Next. Then locate the
Favorites folder that is presently in the My Documents directory. Just
select the Favorites folder itself and let it Export to a File or Address in
My Documents. The default filename is bookmark.htm. Just let it save there
and click Finish. Now from IE again return to File Import and Export. This
time select "Import Favorites" and click Next. Locate the file bookmark.htm
that you just created. Let the Import Favorites Destination be "Favorites"
and click Next then Finish.>

Hi Harry (I have also replied personally) and thank for your help, it is the
closest to solving the problem
that I have come. I have never seen anything like this before so I am
floundering a bit.

Now, your advice; I went to "Export Favourites" and where it says "select
which folder you want to export from" - there is nothing there.

If I go to import, I can see the bookmark.htm file under C:\Documents and
Settings\Barry and I can see his favourites folder there as well but when I
try to import the bookmark.htm file by clicking next the window is empty
just plain white space.

If I go back and log in on my side I can see exactly what you are trying to
achieve but it just doesn't happen there.

Any other ideas, I would be so grateful, Dad is old and has 'fat finger
syndrome' so a lot of my time is spent cleaning up his messes, but he loves
the 'net and misses his favourites so I would like to get them back for him.
When I asked him to describe what he had done, he just didn't know so there
is no help there.
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "DramaQueen" <bertiesmum@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hi, my Dad and I are using XP Home with IE 6. I have supervisor rights
he
> > doesn't (you'll see why next). Dad has somehow deleted his favourites
and
> > now when he clicks to open the favourites there is just a bare, grey
> > panel.
> > If he goes up to Favourites in the top tool bar, this is just 'add to
> > favourites' and 'organise favourites' in grey nothing below that and it
> > cant
> > be operated from there.
> >
> > His favourites are still in his 'my documents' folder but nothing will
> > induce them back to IE. Could SKS please help me get them back.
> >

> > --
> > To reply personally please remove the .au from my hotmail address.
> >

> > Please check our my website.
> > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~sirhc/index.ht...

Anonymous
September 17, 2004 11:45:04 AM

e-mail sent.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> [...]
>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>

>> "DramaQueen" <bertiesmum@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message
>> > Hi, my Dad and I are using XP Home with IE 6. I have supervisor rights
> he
>> > doesn't (you'll see why next). Dad has somehow deleted his favourites
> and
>> > now when he clicks to open the favourites there is just a bare, grey
>> > panel.
>> > If he goes up to Favourites in the top tool bar, this is just 'add to
>> > favourites' and 'organise favourites' in grey nothing below that and it
>> > cant
>> > be operated from there.
>> >
>> > His favourites are still in his 'my documents' folder but nothing will
>> > induce them back to IE. Could SKS please help me get them back.
>> >

>> > --
>> > To reply personally please remove the .au from my hotmail address.

January 2, 2005 1:43:03 PM

DramaQueen, if i understand your question correctly, the file you mentioned
is in your "My Documents" folder, should be "bookmark.htm" and can be
reimported back into IE. so if you copy or move this bookmark.htm file to
your Father's machine and put in any acceptable folder, then from his
machine's IE6, under
File menu, click "Import and Export," then in a panel soon thereafter, click
"Import Favorites" whereupon you'll be given a choice of a file to import.
select the full path name of the bookmark.htm file you copied to your dad's
machine, then
complete the Import Favorites sequence of wizard panels. the above
directions are good for getting an acceptable bookmark.htm file back into
IE6. however, the bookmark.htm file must be what you say it is. if you
didn't export the bookmark.htm file correctly on your machine, you'll get
garbage i believe. also, very important, i myself do not know how to
preserve non-alphabetical orders in your original Favorites menu!!! that's
important. when you export Favorites using
"Import and Export" all non-alphabetization is lost, so what's exported in
bookmark.htm is already alphabetized. IE6's "Tools"-Advanced panel does not
allow keeping prior sequence, to my knowledge. if anybody knows to how keep
the exact sequence of addresses in the original Favorites menu, PLEASE TELL
ME!
THAT'S MY QUESTION.
Richard Chiang Pan, DC, USA 202 829-9732

!