Device Manager paradox!

Hi Folks

Can somebody shed some light on this, please?

I've been nosing around in Device Manager and am confused by the 3 entries
in Hard disk controllers. There are 2 entries called Standard Bus Mastering
IDE Hard Disk Controller, both are working fine with no conflicts with any
device. The third entry is a Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller, it shows
conflicts with the other 2 entries.

How can this be?

Have tried deleting all possible combinations then rebooting, they just
reload with the same results. All drivers have been updated online from
Microsoft.

I've been unable to get a pcmcia smartmedia card adapter to install properly
- could the above be the cause of this?

Win98se thinkpad600e other details on request

Cheers,

Stef

It's not advisable to use HW updates from MS, they are known to cause issues.

What happens if you boot to Safe mode and remove any/all listed, reboot and
reinstall?

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"stefaroo" <stefaroo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks
>
> Can somebody shed some light on this, please?
>
> I've been nosing around in Device Manager and am confused by the 3 entries
> in Hard disk controllers. There are 2 entries called Standard Bus Mastering
> IDE Hard Disk Controller, both are working fine with no conflicts with any
> device. The third entry is a Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller, it shows
> conflicts with the other 2 entries.
>
> How can this be?
>
> Have tried deleting all possible combinations then rebooting, they just
> reload with the same results. All drivers have been updated online from
> Microsoft.
>
> I've been unable to get a pcmcia smartmedia card adapter to install properly
> - could the above be the cause of this?
>
> Win98se thinkpad600e other details on request
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stef

Hi Brian A

Did as you said.

Both entries for Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller are working
fine with no conflicts with any device. The third entry has now changed to an
Intel 82371AB/EB Bus Mastering IDE Controller, it shows the same conflicts
with the other 2 entries.

I noticed several other entries for Hard Disk Controllers while in safemode
- should I have deleted these before reboot?

Whenever you see duplicate entries in safe mode, delete all of them, reboot
and let Windows detect the devices.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

> Hi Brian A
>
> Did as you said.
>
> Both entries for Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller are
> working
> fine with no conflicts with any device. The third entry has now changed to
> an
> Intel 82371AB/EB Bus Mastering IDE Controller, it shows the same conflicts
> with the other 2 entries.
>
> I noticed several other entries for Hard Disk Controllers while in
> safemode
> - should I have deleted these before reboot?

To Ron and Brian

Went into safemode, went down the whole of device manager deleting ALL
multiple enties.

Rebooted several times until all devices installed.

Ended up in exactly the same position as after previous posting.

I guess a clean install is the way to go now? Or maybe take an axe to it?
Probably not a Microsoft axe, though . . .

Continue as you are with Brian A. & Badour, as something seems to be
happening. However, if ultimately it is not fully resolved, then
consider...

Never take the drivers got by clicking "Driver Updates" in the left pane
at Windows Update. Those are poison to me & others. If you absolutely,
positively cannot resist, then...

"START button, Run, MSInfo32, Tools menu, Update Wizard Uninstall"

....may rescue you, with luck.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"stefaroo" <stefaroo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi Brian A
|
| Did as you said.
|
| Both entries for Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller are
working
| fine with no conflicts with any device. The third entry has now
changed to an
| Intel 82371AB/EB Bus Mastering IDE Controller, it shows the same
conflicts
| with the other 2 entries.
|
| I noticed several other entries for Hard Disk Controllers while in
safemode
| - should I have deleted these before reboot?

Hi PCR

I should have mentioned in previous post that devices were reinstalled using
drivers from original 98se cd-rom, not ms update.

I will get rid of Update Wizard anyway.

I am curious to know why these updates are still available if they are so
generally condemned. Can I get better updates elsewhere? Please don't say
winme or w2k.

Anyway, I digress. I still have a problem to solve, with a little help from
my friends.

Thanks for the help so far, everbody. Please don't stop now.

You are welcome. I am only speaking of the drivers got by clicking
"Driver Updates" in the left pane at Windows Update. Those are poison &
show up in the Update Wizard for uninstall. It did seem to uninstall
well, the one/two I took-- twice each! Normally it is said to go get
your updates from the manufacturer's WEB site instead.

Stick with Brian A. & Badour a while. Perhaps...

"START button, Run, MSInfo32, Components, Problem Devices". Use the Edit
menu to Select All, Copy, & then post it.

--
| Hi PCR
|
| I should have mentioned in previous post that devices were reinstalled
using
| drivers from original 98se cd-rom, not ms update.
|
| I will get rid of Update Wizard anyway.
|
| I am curious to know why these updates are still available if they are
so
| generally condemned. Can I get better updates elsewhere? Please don't
say
| winme or w2k.
|
| Anyway, I digress. I still have a problem to solve, with a little help
from
| my friends.
|
| Thanks for the help so far, everbody. Please don't stop now.

I suggest that you go to the IBM site and see if there are motherboard
drivers for your system. Laptops often have proprietary hardware that only
the manufacturer of your computer will have the correct drivers for.

PattyL

"stefaroo" <stefaroo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks
>
> Can somebody shed some light on this, please?
>
> I've been nosing around in Device Manager and am confused by the 3 entries
> in Hard disk controllers. There are 2 entries called Standard Bus
> Mastering
> IDE Hard Disk Controller, both are working fine with no conflicts with any
> device. The third entry is a Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller, it shows
> conflicts with the other 2 entries.
>
> How can this be?
>
> Have tried deleting all possible combinations then rebooting, they just
> reload with the same results. All drivers have been updated online from
> Microsoft.
>
> I've been unable to get a pcmcia smartmedia card adapter to install
> properly
> - could the above be the cause of this?
>
> Win98se thinkpad600e other details on request
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stef

Get the proper drivers and possibly BIOS update from IBM. If this link doesn't
take you to the 600E support/download page:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/multiplefiledownload.do?validate=true

then start here selecting your model, OS, etc.
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?brandind=10&familyind=50130&operatingsystemind=49979&template=%2Fproductselection%2Flandingpages%2FdownloadsDriversLandingPage.vm&validate=true

And if that doesn't work start here and go to support and downloads > downloads
and drivers on the right:
http://www.ibm.com/support/us/

--

> To Ron and Brian
>
> Went into safemode, went down the whole of device manager deleting ALL
> multiple enties.
>
> Rebooted several times until all devices installed.
>
> Ended up in exactly the same position as after previous posting.
>
> I guess a clean install is the way to go now? Or maybe take an axe to it?
> Probably not a Microsoft axe, though . . .

Hi PCR

Got Intel driver update, made no difference.

Tried the Hardware troubleshooter - no joy there - the conflicting settings
cannot be altered.

Took your advice - START button, Run, MSInfo32, Components, Problem Devices
details as follows . . .

Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller hdc
This Device Has a Problem: Code=15 (0xF)
This device is causing a resource conflict. To resolve the conflict, use the
Hardware Conflict Troubleshooter in Help.
Registry Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7111&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_01\BUS_00&DEV_07&FUNC_01
Alloc resources: None
Forced resources: None
Boot resources: Logical Configuration 0
IRQ: 14 Mask: x4000
15 Mask: x8000
IO Range:
Base=x01F0 End=x01F7 Min=x01F0 Max=x01F7
Alias=x04, Decode=x03
Base=x03F6 End=x03F6 Min=x03F6 Max=x03F6 Alias=x04, Decode=x03
Base=x0170 End=x0177 Min=x0170 Max=x0177 Alias=x04, Decode=x03
Base=x0376 End=x0376 Min=x0376 Max=x0376 Alias=x04, Decode=x03
Base=xFCF0 End=xFCFF Min=x0000 Max=xFFFF Alias=xFF, Decode=x00
Filtered resources: Logical Configuration 0
IRQ: 14 Mask: x4000
15 Mask: x8000
IO Range:
Base=x01F0 End=x01F7 Min=x01F0 Max=x01F7 Alias=x04, Decode=x03
Base=x03F6 End=x03F6 Min=x03F6 Max=x03F6 Alias=x04, Decode=x03
Base=x0170 End=x0177 Min=x0170 Max=x0177 Alias=x04, Decode=x03
Base=x0376 End=x0376 Min=x0376 Max=x0376 Alias=x04, Decode=x03
Base=xFCF0 End=xFCFF Min=x0000 Max=xFFFF Alias=xFF, Decode=x00
Basic resources: Logical Configuration 0
IRQ: 14 Mask: x4000
15 Mask: x8000
IO Range:
Base=x01F0 End=x01F7 Min=x01F0 Max=x01F7 Alias=x04, Decode=x03
Base=x03F6 End=x03F6 Min=x03F6 Max=x03F6 Alias=x04, Decode=x03
Base=x0170 End=x0177 Min=x0170 Max=x0177 Alias=x04, Decode=x03
Base=x0376 End=x0376 Min=x0376 Max=x0376 Alias=x04, Decode=x03
Base=xFCF0 End=xFCFF Min=x0000 Max=xFFFF Alias=xFF, Decode=x00
HW Revision: 001
Driver: hdc\0004
Driver Date: 4-23-1999

Hope this helps - it's all Greek to me.

Brian

Tried IBM / Lenovo for drivers, no joy getting drivers for my device with
the conflict, probably because my system is so old. Specifically my Thinkpad
is a 600E 2645 58G, so it says on the baseplate. Already have the latest BIOS
update.

Thanks

Stefaroo

Well...

(a) Did anything show up at...?...
"START button, Run, MSInfo32, Tools menu, Update Wizard Uninstall"

(b) What about at...?...
"START button, Run, MSInfo32, Tools menu, Automatic Skip Driver Agent"

(c) In Device Manager...
1. D-Clk the problem device for Properties.
2. At the Resouces tab, R-Clk inside the "Conflicting device list".
Select All, Copy, & post it here. If it says "No conflicts", then
perhaps let it be, unless you actually are experiencing a problem you
can pin on it.

(d) Perhaps try this one from the Troubleshooter again, BUT do it in
Safe Mode. (Hold F5 or CTRL as you boot to get there)...

.......Quote the Troubleshooter.......
First, check Device Manager to make sure the device has been installed
only once.

Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then
double-click System.
On the Device Manager tab, look for duplicate devices.

If the device appears twice, but you have only one such device
installed, remove all occurrences of the device and then reinstall it.

To remove all occurrences of the device

Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then
double-click System.
On the Device Manager tab, click one occurrence of the device, and then
click Remove.
Repeat step 2 for each remaining occurrence of the device, and click
Close.
Restart your computer.
To reinstall the device

In Control Panel, double-click Add New Hardware.
Follow the instructions in the Add New Hardware Wizard to install your
device.
In Control Panel, double-click System, and then click the Device Manager
tab. Make sure the device is listed only once.

Once you are sure that the device appears only once on the Device
Manager tab, check its resource settings.

To view the resource settings

Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then
double-click System.
On the Device Manager tab, double-click the device.
Click the Resources tab, and then verify that you are viewing the
resource settings for the correct device.

Note
If the Resources tab does not appear, the device is not using any
resources. Contact the device manufacturer about a possible hardware
conflict.
.........EOQ........

--

stefaroo wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> Can somebody shed some light on this, please?
>
> I've been nosing around in Device Manager and am confused by the 3 entries
> in Hard disk controllers. There are 2 entries called Standard Bus Mastering
> IDE Hard Disk Controller, both are working fine with no conflicts with any
> device. The third entry is a Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller, it shows
> conflicts with the other 2 entries.
>
> How can this be?

Just guessing, but doesn't it sound like the two identical items may be
the two IDE channel 'devices'?
Check the 'View devices by connection' radiobutton and see if they don't
cascade from the third uniquly named controller 'device'. If they do, it
is like on all machines i've looked at, with slightly varying names.

No help for resolving the conflict i know, just trying to clarify the
three devices you mention. And that would be why the all come back when
you ..

> Have tried deleting all possible combinations then rebooting, they just
> reload with the same results. All drivers have been updated online from
> Microsoft.
>
> I've been unable to get a pcmcia smartmedia card adapter to install properly
> - could the above be the cause of this?
>
> Win98se thinkpad600e other details on request

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Hi et al.

One Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller is for the CD-ROM, the
other is for the internal HDD, so both are required and both are working fine
with no conflicts with any other device. Both are connected to the Plug and
Play BIOS.

The dodgy third device is now an Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE
Controller, connected to the PCI Bus. This device is in conflict with the
other two.

Stefaroo

Ok, I see you mention the Intel PCI Bus Master IDE Controller conflicting with
the other controllers. To verify, the conflict is shown under the resources
tab, correct?

I see you mention downloading an Intel update. What update was it? If it
wasn't the Intel InfoInst Util update, it may be what you need.

2 ways I know of to check if it is installed and in use.
The first is to check c:\program files for an Intel folder. In it should be a
folder InfoInst with the extracted folders/files from the update .exe or .zip.
AFAIK you can not use a compress/uncompress app such as winzip to extract them,
they must be extracted using flags with the path in the Run input box. Depending
on which update, exe or zip, depends on the flag/s are used. This is covered
in the read me file for the update.

If the Infinst is not present in that directory, use find to see if it was
extracted elsewhere. If a -p flag was used when extracted, the folders/files
are extracted to the path after the flag. If the -p flag was not used, they
should be in c: where stated.

The second is in DM:
Click View by Devices
Expand Plug and Play BIOS, or Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)
BIOS.
Expand PCI bus.
Look for any line/s containing the description
PCI standard host CPU bridge
-or-
PCI standard ISA bridge
-or-
PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
-or-
PCI System Management Bus
-or-
Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller
-or-
Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller

If any of these are present they need to be removed per the instructions for
the Intelinf Util. Read the instructions carefully for an OS already installed
for your OS.

If all of the above is as should be, showing Intel devices instead of
standard, if you wish we could step it up a notch with a drastic measure.

--

stefaroo wrote:

> Hi et al.
>
> One Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller is for the CD-ROM, the
> other is for the internal HDD, so both are required and both are working fine
> with no conflicts with any other device. Both are connected to the Plug and
> Play BIOS.

That looks strange .. then again, perhaps not. I'm guessing they hang
off the 'PnP BIOS'-Device instead of via the dodgy device (the way i
think they are supposed to) just because of the fact that that third
device is having a code 15 problem.
I guess my point was that having /them/ three IDE related devices are
normal.

> The dodgy third device is now an Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE
> Controller, connected to the PCI Bus. This device is in conflict with the
> other two.

For solving the conflict, it's back to the suggestions from the other.
Except i haven't seen you say how longstanding it is that this device
have shown up as having a conflict. You do mention that the machine has
the latest BIOS .. If you updated the BIOS, ¿when did that get updated,
and ¿did the conflict perhaps start at that point?

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

REPLY TO ALL KIND HELPERS!

Many thanks to you all for trying to get me fixed.

I think I may be getting in a bit too deep for my level of experience, so
I'm gonna try and live with the conflicts and close this string.

I will, however, be posting again in this group requesting help with my
other Thinkpad problems.

Thanks again,

Stefaroo

You are welcome. Could be a good decision, similar to one I myself made
a while ago. Still, I wish you would copy/paste what it says in that
"Conflicting device list" at the Resources tab. (Mine says "No
conflicts".)

--
| REPLY TO ALL KIND HELPERS!
|
| Many thanks to you all for trying to get me fixed.
|
| I think I may be getting in a bit too deep for my level of experience,
so
| I'm gonna try and live with the conflicts and close this string.
|
| I will, however, be posting again in this group requesting help with
my
| other Thinkpad problems.
|
| Thanks again,
|
| Stefaroo

Hi PCR

As requested, following is the Conflicting Device List at the Resources tab:

Input/Output Range 01F0 - 01F7 used by:
Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller
Input/Output Range 03F6 - 03F6 used by:
Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller
Interrupt Request 14 used by:
Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller
Input/Output Range 0170 - 0177 used by:
Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller
Input/Output Range 0376 - 0376 used by:
Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller
Interrupt Request 15 used by:
Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller
Input/Output Range FCF0 - FCFF used by:
Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller
Input/Output Range FCF0 - FCFF used by:
Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller

As previously stated, neither of the two Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard
Disk Controllers show conflicts.

If you are inclined to reply, I would be much obliged if you could post it
in my new thread in this group ( Thinkpad problems - second thread ( 13th
August 2005 ) ).

Good luck,

Stefaroo

| If you are inclined to reply, I would be much obliged if you could
post it
| in my new thread in this group ( Thinkpad problems - second thread (
13th
| August 2005 ) ).

Very well, IF I come up with something. I hope you posted this to that
thread too & identified it as the "Conflicting Device List" of the
"Intel 82371AB/EB Bus Mastering IDE Controller", which I think it must
be/still is. I know earlier it was "Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller",
before deleting duplicates in Safe Mode per Brian A./Badour.

Very odd this conflicts with the two Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard
Disk Controller, but neither of those conflicts with this. Are you sure
this one is installed? It says so in Device Manager? It does not show up
at "Control Panel, Add New Hardware, Next, Next" in the Devices window?

Ignore me here & get it into the other thread, if indeed the thing
wasn't already solved by now.