Background Tab missing in Display Properties

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I am working on an older windows 98 standard system

It was infected with some sort of spyware that changed the desktop
background to it's own anti-spyware sales background. I have since removed
every part of the spyware I can detect, butI still do not have the background
tab to be able to change my wallpaper.

Any suggestions?

Try "Control Panel, Display, Background tab". Alternatively, try a new
Theme/Scheme...

To install Desktop Themes, if they are not already in the Control Panel
or in the START menu...
1. START, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup
tab.
2. Check "Desktop Themes"; click "Details"; check the themes you want;
"OK" twice.
3. Perhaps, re-boot.

Some themes require "high color". To get "high color":
1. Right click the Desktop & select Properties
2. Click the "Settings" tab
3. Use the "Colors" dropdown menu to select "high color"
4. Be prepared. It may ask your permission to restart the computer.

I understand that's best; however, it can also be done at: "R-Clk
Desktop, Properties, Appearance tab, & select a different 'Scheme' in
the dropdown selector". This will also get the fonts, colors, et al,
right, across applications, without trying to micro-manage inside the
"Item" dropdown menu, which one may live to regret.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I am working on an older windows 98 standard system
|
| It was infected with some sort of spyware that changed the desktop
| background to it's own anti-spyware sales background. I have since
removed
| every part of the spyware I can detect, butI still do not have the
background
| tab to be able to change my wallpaper.
|
| Any suggestions?

First, back up the Registry:
Click Start>Run, type: scanregw and click OK. Choose yes whan prompted to back up
the Registry.

Then, open the Registry Editor (Click Start>Run, type: Regedit and click OK).
In the left pane of the Regedit window, navigate to the key below, by clicking the +
signs to expand each section till you get to the System key (keys look like folders
in Regedit):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Select the System key in the left pane of the Regedit window.
In the right pane, look for and Select the dword value named "NoDispBackgroundPage".
Right-click "NoDispBackgroundPage" and click Delete on the menu that appears.
If that entry is not found there, look for the same "NoDispBackgroundPage" entry at
the location below, and delete it from there instead:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
When done, close Regedit.

It might help if you named the malware you had. Also, since you state that you have
removed what you can find, it is quite possible that there is more on your system
that you have not found. I suggest you follow the guidelines below:

Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.

Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.exe
Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

In addition, install Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition, start it, click its 'Check
for Updates' link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system,
and remove what it finds.
Ad-Aware:

Install SpywareBlaster:
Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable
all protection'.
Update at least weekly.

If your problems persist, download, unzip, and run Hijack This:
Unzip to a folder OTHER THAN your Desktop or the Temp folder, close ALL open apps
and browser windows, then double-click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button.
Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
similar).
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at ONE of these forums:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
it.

The folks there will tell you what to remove.

See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am working on an older windows 98 standard system
>
> It was infected with some sort of spyware that changed the desktop
> background to it's own anti-spyware sales background. I have since removed
> every part of the spyware I can detect, butI still do not have the background
> tab to be able to change my wallpaper.
>
> Any suggestions?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Thank you for the assistance.

This link provided all the answers I needed. I would not have arrived there
if it hadn't been for your help

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.desktophijack.c.html

Thank you again

Brian

"glee" wrote:

> [...]
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
>
> In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
> it.
>
> The folks there will tell you what to remove.
>
> See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
> http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075
>
> A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
> http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am working on an older windows 98 standard system
> >
> > It was infected with some sort of spyware that changed the desktop
> > background to it's own anti-spyware sales background. I have since removed
> > every part of the spyware I can detect, butI still do not have the background

Glad you put it together. Thanks for the link.