Wake on something?

Windows 98 Standard edition, Computer was on a LAN connected to my office
environment and set to "wake on LAN". I disabled that but after 5 minutes or
so after shutdown, the puter restarts.
I have disabled any wake to run task in task scheduler.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
I'm running on a 1.4 Ghz Pentium 4

TIA

It is probably a BIOS setting--disable it there

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Johnny_1" <Johnny1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows 98 Standard edition, Computer was on a LAN connected to my office
> environment and set to "wake on LAN". I disabled that but after 5 minutes
> or
> so after shutdown, the puter restarts.
> I have disabled any wake to run task in task scheduler.
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
> I'm running on a 1.4 Ghz Pentium 4
>
> TIA

Thanks ron, but I looked there. no settings for wake, no timer settings,
very basic power settings

"Ron Badour" wrote:

> It is probably a BIOS setting--disable it there
>
> --
> Regards
>

> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>

> "Johnny_1" <Johnny1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Windows 98 Standard edition, Computer was on a LAN connected to my office
> > environment and set to "wake on LAN". I disabled that but after 5 minutes
> > or
> > so after shutdown, the puter restarts.
> > I have disabled any wake to run task in task scheduler.
> > Any suggestions are appreciated.
> > I'm running on a 1.4 Ghz Pentium 4
> >
> > TIA

Hmmm, that is unusual as that is where I have always found the Wake On
settings when the said settings existed. Good luck--maybe someone else will
have an idea for you.

--

> Thanks ron, but I looked there. no settings for wake, no timer settings,
> very basic power settings
>
> "Ron Badour" wrote:
>
>> It is probably a BIOS setting--disable it there
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>

>> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
>> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
>> Knowledge Base Info:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>>

>> "Johnny_1" <Johnny1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Windows 98 Standard edition, Computer was on a LAN connected to my
>> > office
>> > environment and set to "wake on LAN". I disabled that but after 5
>> > minutes
>> > or
>> > so after shutdown, the puter restarts.
>> > I have disabled any wake to run task in task scheduler.
>> > Any suggestions are appreciated.
>> > I'm running on a 1.4 Ghz Pentium 4
>> >
>> > TIA

Thanks again, gremlins I think.
I seem to have a mal-functioning network card (new problem), purhaps it's
related.

A little more work on my part.

Thanks

"Ron Badour" wrote:

> Hmmm, that is unusual as that is where I have always found the Wake On
> settings when the said settings existed. Good luck--maybe someone else will
> have an idea for you.
>
> --
> Regards
>

> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>

> "Johnny_1" <Johnny1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks ron, but I looked there. no settings for wake, no timer settings,
> > very basic power settings
> >
> > "Ron Badour" wrote:
> >
> >> It is probably a BIOS setting--disable it there
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards
> >>

> >> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> >> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> >> Knowledge Base Info:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> >>

> >> "Johnny_1" <Johnny1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Is the task scheduler the only place you checked? If so:

Right click NetworkNeighborhood on the desktop, click Properties.
Click once on your modem/NIC in Components, click Properties.
Disable any WOL if present > Apply > Ok out.

Look in Control Panel to see if any configuration/troubleshooter applet is
present by sw installation for the modem/NIC.

Look in Device Manager > modem/NIC properties. Some sw ( I know Intel does )
adds the configuration there instead of in CP.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Many thanks to all that replied.
I will re-check those suggested

"Johnny_1" wrote:

> Windows 98 Standard edition, Computer was on a LAN connected to my office
> environment and set to "wake on LAN". I disabled that but after 5 minutes or
> so after shutdown, the puter restarts.
> I have disabled any wake to run task in task scheduler.
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
> I'm running on a 1.4 Ghz Pentium 4
>
> TIA

You are welcome. Keep us informed.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

Johnny_1 wrote:

> Thanks ron, but I looked there. no settings for wake, no timer settings,
> very basic power settings

Besides setings in the 'BIOS Setup', i also have jumpers on the
Motherboard to enable/disable wakeup/booting from USB and keyboard.

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Brian A. wrote:
> Is the task scheduler the only place you checked? If so:
>
> Right click NetworkNeighborhood on the desktop, click Properties.
> Click once on your modem/NIC in Components, click Properties.
> Disable any WOL if present > Apply > Ok out.
>
> Look in Control Panel to see if any configuration/troubleshooter applet
> is present by sw installation for the modem/NIC.
>
> Look in Device Manager > modem/NIC properties. Some sw ( I know Intel
> does ) adds the configuration there instead of in CP.

Besides the Device Manager, perhaps also check out configuration
possibilities for your NIC in the Network applet. For example i have
under the Advanced tab several 'Property' items with RWU (Remote Wake
Up) in the name.

--

"... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message

> Besides the Device Manager, perhaps also check out configuration possibilities
> for your NIC in the Network applet. For example i have under the Advanced tab
> several 'Property' items with RWU (Remote Wake Up) in the name.

The Network applet in CP is the same as:

Brian A. wrote:

> "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Besides the Device Manager, perhaps also check out configuration
>> possibilities for your NIC in the Network applet. For example i have
>> under the Advanced tab several 'Property' items with RWU (Remote Wake
>> Up) in the name.
>

> The Network applet in CP is the same as:
>
>>> Right click NetworkNeighborhood on the desktop, click Properties.
>>> Click once on your modem/NIC in Components, click Properties.
>>> Disable any WOL if present > Apply > Ok out.

Oops! .. Of course it is, and the way i usually access it.
Hmm, i must have tunnel-viewed just your last paragraph or something.