I can't access Symantec

Every time I try to go to Symantec's main site I get an Iexplore
message that says I've performed an illegal operation etc, click on
"details" and this below:

IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
module MSHTML.DLL at 0167:7ad41f41.
Registers:
EAX=002f002f CS=0167 EIP=7ad41f41 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0058d920 EBP=0058d9f8
ECX=01c8b7ac DS=016f ESI=01c8b7ac FS=0fb7
EDX=bffc9490 ES=016f EDI=01c8bd14 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 40 fc d1 e8 c3 33 c0 c3 00 00 63 00 6c 00 65
Stack dump:
7adce019 01c8b7a0 7adcdfeb 01c8bce0 7ad424fc 01c8b7a0 7adcf969 01c8b7a0
0058da34 0043e0a0 01c80260 00000000 00000000 00000000 001502f8 002b031e

When I close it IE5 closes with it.
What is causing that and how do I get rid of it

Microsoft maintains a knowledge base of articles on various subjects here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo When you define a
search, do it on all products initially. If you get too many results, you
can cut back on the number of results by searching on a particular product.
The trick to finding information is to provide enough details so you get
what you want but not use so few details that the amount of articles are
staggering. And, if you use too many details, you might miss what you are
looking for. Only experience in conducting searches will tell you how many
details is just right.

Often you can find what you need by enclosing an error message in quote
marks; however, be careful not to include too much. For example, here is an
error message:

IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at
0137:bff798fb.

If you search on this error message with it enclosed in quotes, the message
will have to appear verbatim in the KB article in order to get a match.
Quite often the KB article will list the article like this:

IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at memory
address.

If you use the entire message within quotes, you will not get a hit because
"0137:bff798fb" in the search criteria will not match "memory address"
listed in the article. So, in this instance, your search criteria including
quote marks would be:

"IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL"

You can use this same technique to search the Google search engine archives
<http://groups.google.com/groups>. Include the info within quotes and you
might get a little better info if outside the quotes, you include: MVP

There are several articles in the KB that contain your exact error message.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

<pullgees@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Every time I try to go to Symantec's main site I get an Iexplore
> message that says I've performed an illegal operation etc, click on
> "details" and this below:
>
> IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
> module MSHTML.DLL at 0167:7ad41f41.
> Registers:
> EAX=002f002f CS=0167 EIP=7ad41f41 EFLGS=00010202
> EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0058d920 EBP=0058d9f8
> ECX=01c8b7ac DS=016f ESI=01c8b7ac FS=0fb7
> EDX=bffc9490 ES=016f EDI=01c8bd14 GS=0000
> Bytes at CS:EIP:
> 8b 40 fc d1 e8 c3 33 c0 c3 00 00 63 00 6c 00 65
> Stack dump:
> 7adce019 01c8b7a0 7adcdfeb 01c8bce0 7ad424fc 01c8b7a0 7adcf969 01c8b7a0
> 0058da34 0043e0a0 01c80260 00000000 00000000 00000000 001502f8 002b031e
>
> When I close it IE5 closes with it.
> What is causing that and how do I get rid of it

update to IE6 sp1

--

Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

<pullgees@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Every time I try to go to Symantec's main site I get an Iexplore
> message that says I've performed an illegal operation etc, click on
> "details" and this below:
>
> IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
> module MSHTML.DLL at 0167:7ad41f41.
> Registers:
> EAX=002f002f CS=0167 EIP=7ad41f41 EFLGS=00010202
> EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0058d920 EBP=0058d9f8
> ECX=01c8b7ac DS=016f ESI=01c8b7ac FS=0fb7
> EDX=bffc9490 ES=016f EDI=01c8bd14 GS=0000
> Bytes at CS:EIP:
> 8b 40 fc d1 e8 c3 33 c0 c3 00 00 63 00 6c 00 65
> Stack dump:
> 7adce019 01c8b7a0 7adcdfeb 01c8bce0 7ad424fc 01c8b7a0 7adcf969 01c8b7a0
> 0058da34 0043e0a0 01c80260 00000000 00000000 00000000 001502f8 002b031e
>
> When I close it IE5 closes with it.
> What is causing that and how do I get rid of it

Well thanks for your help.
First of all I should say that this problem coincided with installing
Norton Anti Virus 2000 omitting to register and attempting to download
their definition updates which you now cannot do due to Symantec's new
Live Updater sytem where you have to now register and ofcourse
subsribe. It seems to me that Live Updater has put something in my
computer that blocks me out of both updating and accessing their web
site.

I now use AVAST anti virus. So I have no need to go to Symantec's site
anymore but the fact that I can't puzzles me.
I already use Spybot and since the problem Adaware. If I use Kixstart
am I going to get conflicts?

From: <pullgees@yahoo.com>

| Every time I try to go to Symantec's main site I get an Iexplore
| message that says I've performed an illegal operation etc, click on
| "details" and this below:
|
| IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
| module MSHTML.DLL at 0167:7ad41f41.
| Registers:
| EAX=002f002f CS=0167 EIP=7ad41f41 EFLGS=00010202
| EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0058d920 EBP=0058d9f8
| ECX=01c8b7ac DS=016f ESI=01c8b7ac FS=0fb7
| EDX=bffc9490 ES=016f EDI=01c8bd14 GS=0000
| Bytes at CS:EIP:
| 8b 40 fc d1 e8 c3 33 c0 c3 00 00 63 00 6c 00 65
| Stack dump:
| 7adce019 01c8b7a0 7adcdfeb 01c8bce0 7ad424fc 01c8b7a0 7adcf969 01c8b7a0
| 0058da34 0043e0a0 01c80260 00000000 00000000 00000000 001502f8 002b031e
|
| When I close it IE5 closes with it.
| What is causing that and how do I get rid of it

If it is ONLY Symantec then it could be an infector causing this.

I also suggest going to IE6 SP1.

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
remove
viruses and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: <pullgees@yahoo.com>

| Well thanks for your help.
| First of all I should say that this problem coincided with installing
| Norton Anti Virus 2000 omitting to register and attempting to download
| their definition updates which you now cannot do due to Symantec's new
| Live Updater sytem where you have to now register and ofcourse
| subsribe. It seems to me that Live Updater has put something in my
| computer that blocks me out of both updating and accessing their web
| site.
|
| I now use AVAST anti virus. So I have no need to go to Symantec's site
| anymore but the fact that I can't puzzles me.
| I already use Spybot and since the problem Adaware. If I use Kixstart
| am I going to get conflicts?

Kixtart is just a scripting language and the Trend Micro, Sophos and Mcafee scanners are
just "On Demand" scanners. The will not conflict with the AV software that's on the PC.

One note though, Avast sometimes declares a False Positive declaration of the VBS/Redlof on
Trend Sysclean. Hopefully by now it has been corrected. If it hasn't you now know and you
can disable Avast prior to running the Trend module.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Oh dear! AV-CLS wont open either by clicking on 'Start Menu' or from Run

> Well thanks for your help.
> First of all I should say that this problem coincided with installing
> Norton Anti Virus 2000 omitting to register and attempting to download
> their definition updates which you now cannot do due to Symantec's new
> Live Updater sytem where you have to now register and ofcourse
> subsribe. It seems to me that Live Updater has put something in my
> computer that blocks me out of both updating and accessing their web
> site.

I don't find that hard to believe, but doubt it would keep you from accessing
their site. By blocking any potential user from their site would not be
business smarts. Blocking those who choose not to register shouldn't keep one
from accessing their site either. Blocking those that don't have an up to date
subscription from downloading defs is smart protection sense against piracy,
even if they - Symantec - are the evil ones.

My thoughts on the problem are:

Somehow by/or something inserted them in a HOST file to be blocked to make it
harder to remove what put them there.

You uninstalled/reinstalled NAV 2000 in hopes of getting another year out of it,
and the subscription timer is set at expired and still present in the registry.

You didn't uninstall NAV 2000 opting to overinstall it, which is a very big
no-no. Symantec products will always blow up in ones face when doing this, any
previous/present versions must be uninstalled before re/installing.

Try using their removal tool to see if helps clean up the registry mess
Symantec apps implant. If you can't get to it from here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

I have it on hand and can provide via web page to download.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Are you able to access any av vendors sites? Will Avast run?

If you can't access AV sites nor will Avast run or scan, try booting to Safe
Mode and see if Avast will run a scan.

If you can't get it to work there, download F-Prot for DOS and it's latest
virus sigs which are on the same page. Use a friends machine if you have to and
save the .zip files to CD.
http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/download_fpdos.html

Back at your machine:
Create a folder in c: named FProt or whatever you wish.
Extract all files from the 3 downloaded .zips to this folder.

Reboot. This is to assure any temp files finish there task if needed.

Press ctrl+alt+del.
End task on all except Explorer and Systray.
Close out.

Delete your IE temp files:
Right click IE on the desktop.
Click Properties > Delete Files button.
Put a check in Delete All Offline Files.
Click OK.
Click OK.

Delete your temp folders files:

Skip this if you can get to DOS:
Click Start > Run, type in: msconfig and press enter.
Under the General tab click the Advanced button.
Place a check next to Enable Start Menu.
Click Apply > Ok and reboot.

From the startup menu select DOS Command Prompt.
At the prompt type: c:\fprot\fprot.exe and press Enter.
Run a scan.

*Note: If you do not have a line in your autoexec.bat to enable your mouse in
DOS, you will have to use the keyboard.

--

> Oh dear! AV-CLS wont open either by clicking on 'Start Menu' or from Run

When I try to open C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT a messagw reads, "Cannot
find 'C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT' [or one of its components}. Make sure
the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
available".

Okay I've got the menu up but I'm afraid it's all too technical for me.
There is a big hole of missing data in MY knowledge base. For example
what am I supposed to do when I go to Sophos web site. Where do I go?
What am I supposed to download and how do I download these files?

Thanks for your help
I'll try David Lipman's method first and see what happens. It doesn't
matter even if you installed Norton for the first time, you don't
register/subscibe you can't download the lastest defs. They have
closed the loophole. The days of uninstalling and reinstalling are
over.
It is only Symantec. com I can't access, but now that I'm running
Avast it is not important just a bit annoying and strange.

From: <pullgees@yahoo.com>

| When I try to open C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT a messagw reads, "Cannot
| find 'C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT' [or one of its components}. Make sure
| the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
| available".

You didn't follow the directions then.

You must use the default location of "C:\AV-CLS" when you download
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Multi_AV.exe and execute; Multi_AV.exe

Execute; Multi_AV.exe
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Best take the machine to a reputable, independent (i.e., not BestBuy or
CompUSA) and have them fix it.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

From: <pullgees@yahoo.com>

| Okay I've got the menu up but I'm afraid it's all too technical for me.
| There is a big hole of missing data in MY knowledge base. For example
| what am I supposed to do when I go to Sophos web site. Where do I go?
| What am I supposed to download and how do I download these files?

It is an automated process. It was written for newbies. But, if you think you can't handle
it, follow Robear Dyer's advice.