MS05-038 Cumulative for IE6SP1 doesn't fix the file/delete..

The MS05-038 896727 Cumulative for IE6 unfortunately doesn't fix the long
time problem of the specific IE6x W98x file delete hang issue ;)

Not that is was suppose to mind you, but I had half-hoped they would of
taken care of this long time problem at the same time as the current
update, and this would of been a good opportunity to slide it in since I
see that the Browseui.dll was yet once again reworked (compared all the
changes made using hex)

Here are the current links outlining this anomaly for those that haven't
head about it yet if you wanted to know what my post is about.

http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
&
http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
&
http://www.ptcnh.net/~rdchauvin/W98xIE6xBug.htm

Rick

Too bad! I verify the delete problem is not solved in Explorer after
taking that IE Cumulative Q896727. One thousand of Blanton's zero byte
files did delete well. After another two thousand, Explorer showed it's
customary sluggishness doing any work &/or updating it's display. Also,
I did get that low resources warning toward the end of the 2nd delete.
Yet, Resource Meter shows: User 65%; GDI 80%...!... OE continues to work
well, as I imagine all things non-Explorer do. Therefore, I'll hold off
on the reboot that "cures" Explorer.

Thanks for the heads-up on the cumulative, though.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| The MS05-038 896727 Cumulative for IE6 unfortunately doesn't fix the
long
| time problem of the specific IE6x W98x file delete hang issue ;)
|
| Not that is was suppose to mind you, but I had half-hoped they would
of
| taken care of this long time problem at the same time as the current
| update, and this would of been a good opportunity to slide it in since
| see that the Browseui.dll was yet once again reworked (compared all
the
| changes made using hex)
|
| Here are the current links outlining this anomaly for those that
haven't
| head about it yet if you wanted to know what my post is about.
|
| http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
| &
| http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
| &
| http://www.ptcnh.net/~rdchauvin/W98xIE6xBug.htm
|
| Rick

I doubt you'll see anything "slid in" for Windows 98. As has been mentioned
several times before, the entire Win9x family of operating systems are in
extended support with only security fixes being offered when they can be.
I'd refer you to the support policies in question but I know you already
know them by heart. :)

Richard G. Harper wrote:
> I doubt you'll see anything "slid in" for Windows 98. As has been
> mentioned several times before, the entire Win9x family of operating
> systems are in extended support with only security fixes being offered
> when they can be. I'd refer you to the support policies in question but
> I know you already know them by heart. :)

Hi Richard,

I understand what you said and I know you know I know.
'Slid in' was just a term I used at that moment, but I really would like to
see this problem finally fixed though because it's been a problem for so
long. When I updated the cumulative yesterday and noticed the problem was
still there I just thought to mention it aloud again is all.

thanks for the reply.
Rick

> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>

> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> The MS05-038 896727 Cumulative for IE6 unfortunately doesn't fix the
>> long time problem of the specific IE6x W98x file delete hang issue ;)
>>
>> Not that is was suppose to mind you, but I had half-hoped they would of
>> taken care of this long time problem at the same time as the current
>> update, and this would of been a good opportunity to slide it in since I
>> see that the Browseui.dll was yet once again reworked (compared all the
>> changes made using hex)
>>
>> Here are the current links outlining this anomaly for those that haven't
>> head about it yet if you wanted to know what my post is about.
>>
>> http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
>> &
>> http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
>> &
>> http://www.ptcnh.net/~rdchauvin/W98xIE6xBug.htm
>>
>> Rick

Hi PCR,

Yep love those zero byte files makes it so easy to test this.
thanks for the reply and checking it too.

Rick

PCR wrote:
> Too bad! I verify the delete problem is not solved in Explorer after
> taking that IE Cumulative Q896727. One thousand of Blanton's zero byte
> files did delete well. After another two thousand, Explorer showed it's
> customary sluggishness doing any work &/or updating it's display. Also,
> I did get that low resources warning toward the end of the 2nd delete.
> Yet, Resource Meter shows: User 65%; GDI 80%...!... OE continues to work
> well, as I imagine all things non-Explorer do. Therefore, I'll hold off
> on the reboot that "cures" Explorer.
>
> Thanks for the heads-up on the cumulative, though.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>| The MS05-038 896727 Cumulative for IE6 unfortunately doesn't fix the
>| long time problem of the specific IE6x W98x file delete hang issue ;)
>|
>| Not that is was suppose to mind you, but I had half-hoped they would of
>| taken care of this long time problem at the same time as the current
>| update, and this would of been a good opportunity to slide it in since I
>| see that the Browseui.dll was yet once again reworked (compared all the
>| changes made using hex)
>|
>| Here are the current links outlining this anomaly for those that haven't
>| head about it yet if you wanted to know what my post is about.
>|
>| http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
>| &
>| http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
>| &
>| http://www.ptcnh.net/~rdchauvin/W98xIE6xBug.htm
>|
>| Rick

You are welcome. Here is an interesting point about Defrag: it removes
deleted items from the FAT...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q136836
Disk Defragmenter May Seem to Stop Responding
........Quote................
In particular, because removing deleted folder entries can take a long
time, emptying the Temporary Internet Files folder or deleting a large
number of files from another folder on your hard disk can cause this
problem to occur. When the problem occurs for this reason, it occurs
when Disk Defragmenter is between 5 and 10 percent finished because this
is when Disk Defragmenter removes deleted folder entries.
........EOQ...................

I wonder whether it is the deleted folder entries still in the FAT that
causes the problem in Explorer too. Then...

(1) Do a Scandisk, as every good Defrag is preceded by a recent
Scandisk.

(2) Trigger the problem in Explorer with a massive delete.
After that, a single delete will be sluggish.

(3) Don't reboot. Do a Defrag, instead.

(4) Delete a useless file. Was the sluggishness gone?

--
| Hi PCR,
|
| Yep love those zero byte files makes it so easy to test this.
| thanks for the reply and checking it too.
|
| Rick
|
| PCR wrote:
| > Too bad! I verify the delete problem is not solved in Explorer after
| > taking that IE Cumulative Q896727. One thousand of Blanton's zero
byte
| > files did delete well. After another two thousand, Explorer showed
it's
| > customary sluggishness doing any work &/or updating it's display.
Also,
| > I did get that low resources warning toward the end of the 2nd
delete.
| > Yet, Resource Meter shows: User 65%; GDI 80%...!... OE continues to
work
| > well, as I imagine all things non-Explorer do. Therefore, I'll hold
off
| > on the reboot that "cures" Explorer.
| >
| > Thanks for the heads-up on the cumulative, though.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| >| The MS05-038 896727 Cumulative for IE6 unfortunately doesn't fix
the
| >| long time problem of the specific IE6x W98x file delete hang issue
;)
| >|
| >| Not that is was suppose to mind you, but I had half-hoped they
would of
| >| taken care of this long time problem at the same time as the
current
| >| update, and this would of been a good opportunity to slide it in
since I
| >| see that the Browseui.dll was yet once again reworked (compared all
the
| >| changes made using hex)
| >|
| >| Here are the current links outlining this anomaly for those that
haven't
| >| head about it yet if you wanted to know what my post is about.
| >|
| >| http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
| >| &
| >| http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
| >| &
| >| http://www.ptcnh.net/~rdchauvin/W98xIE6xBug.htm
| >|
| >| Rick

What part of "only critical security updates, when available" is hard to
understand? :)

> I understand what you said and I know you know I know.
> 'Slid in' was just a term I used at that moment, but I really would like
> see this problem finally fixed though because it's been a problem for so
> long. When I updated the cumulative yesterday and noticed the problem was
> still there I just thought to mention it aloud again is all.

| I wonder whether it is the deleted folder entries still in the FAT
that
| causes the problem in Explorer too.

Nope! Defrag was no remedy for it! It still took a reboot.

--
| You are welcome. Here is an interesting point about Defrag: it removes
| deleted items from the FAT...
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q136836
| Disk Defragmenter May Seem to Stop Responding
| .......Quote................
| In particular, because removing deleted folder entries can take a long
| time, emptying the Temporary Internet Files folder or deleting a large
| number of files from another folder on your hard disk can cause this
| problem to occur. When the problem occurs for this reason, it occurs
| when Disk Defragmenter is between 5 and 10 percent finished because
this
| is when Disk Defragmenter removes deleted folder entries.
| .......EOQ...................
|
| I wonder whether it is the deleted folder entries still in the FAT
that
| causes the problem in Explorer too. Then...
|
| (1) Do a Scandisk, as every good Defrag is preceded by a recent
| Scandisk.
|
| (2) Trigger the problem in Explorer with a massive delete.
| After that, a single delete will be sluggish.
|
| (3) Don't reboot. Do a Defrag, instead.
|
| (4) Delete a useless file. Was the sluggishness gone?
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| | Hi PCR,
| |
| | Yep love those zero byte files makes it so easy to test this.
| | thanks for the reply and checking it too.
| |
| | Rick
| |
| | PCR wrote:
| | > Too bad! I verify the delete problem is not solved in Explorer
after
| | > taking that IE Cumulative Q896727. One thousand of Blanton's zero
| byte
| | > files did delete well. After another two thousand, Explorer showed
| it's
| | > customary sluggishness doing any work &/or updating it's display.
| Also,
| | > I did get that low resources warning toward the end of the 2nd
| delete.
| | > Yet, Resource Meter shows: User 65%; GDI 80%...!... OE continues
| work
| | > well, as I imagine all things non-Explorer do. Therefore, I'll
hold
| off
| | > on the reboot that "cures" Explorer.
| | >
| | > Thanks for the heads-up on the cumulative, though.
| | >

| | > --
| | > Thanks or Good Luck,
| | > There may be humor in this post, and,
| | > Naturally, you will not sue,
| | > should things get worse after this,
| | > PCR
| | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| the
| ;)
| | >|
| would of
| current
| since I
| the
| | >|
| haven't
| | >|
| | >|
| |
| |
| |

PCR wrote:
> You are welcome. Here is an interesting point about Defrag: it removes
> deleted items from the FAT...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q136836
> Disk Defragmenter May Seem to Stop Responding
> .......Quote................
> In particular, because removing deleted folder entries can take a long
> time, emptying the Temporary Internet Files folder or deleting a large
> number of files from another folder on your hard disk can cause this
> problem to occur. When the problem occurs for this reason, it occurs
> when Disk Defragmenter is between 5 and 10 percent finished because this
> is when Disk Defragmenter removes deleted folder entries.
> .......EOQ...................
>
> I wonder whether it is the deleted folder entries still in the FAT that
> causes the problem in Explorer too. Then...

I would say no since after a fresh defrag is done the problem is still
there, however I think the article is talking more about pointing out that
a defrag can take longer when it has to remove those unlinked deleted
folder entries that are still there. It may be all still in the ballpark
though but I'm not gonna open my test bench with this again this time
unless its wanted from MS or thereabouts. It was an interesting read
though.

> (1) Do a Scandisk, as every good Defrag is preceded by a recent
> Scandisk.
>
> (2) Trigger the problem in Explorer with a massive delete.
> After that, a single delete will be sluggish.
>
> (3) Don't reboot. Do a Defrag, instead.
>
> (4) Delete a useless file. Was the sluggishness gone?

Nope.

thanks though,
Rick

Richard G. Harper wrote:
> What part of "only critical security updates, when available" is hard to
> understand? :)

I do understand Richard what you are saying, but the thinking always has
been this is somewhat a critical issue in a real sense although maybe not
'security' related as you are referring to what is MS stipulated; but
certainly it's critical in many other senses and has been like this ever
since IE6 was released for W98 which is long ago. Somehow its resolve
slipped through the cracks although certainly not on purpose at all
and just happened this way. It just would be nice if somehow someway this
could get repaired as goodwill toward W98 and the millions of users who
still use it.

Thanks,
Rick

> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>

> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>
>> I understand what you said and I know you know I know.
>> 'Slid in' was just a term I used at that moment, but I really would like
>> see this problem finally fixed though because it's been a problem for so
>> long. When I updated the cumulative yesterday and noticed the problem
>> was still there I just thought to mention it aloud again is all.

You are right. I tested it myself an hour before your post, & Defrag was
no cure. It appears to be...

(a) A Resources problem maybe-- because I always get a low resources
warning these days during the delete that triggers the effect. Most of
the time Resource Meter does not show them to be low, though.

(b) A Recycle Bin problem definitely-- because I have a 3rd party app
(PCMag's HDValet) that can do unlimited deletes UNLESS I let it put the
files into the Bin. It can delete them to oblivion OR to a holding
folder of it's own with no problem at all.

--
| PCR wrote:
| > You are welcome. Here is an interesting point about Defrag: it
removes
| > deleted items from the FAT...
| >
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q136836
| > Disk Defragmenter May Seem to Stop Responding
| > .......Quote................
| > In particular, because removing deleted folder entries can take a
long
| > time, emptying the Temporary Internet Files folder or deleting a
large
| > number of files from another folder on your hard disk can cause this
| > problem to occur. When the problem occurs for this reason, it occurs
| > when Disk Defragmenter is between 5 and 10 percent finished because
this
| > is when Disk Defragmenter removes deleted folder entries.
| > .......EOQ...................
| >
| > I wonder whether it is the deleted folder entries still in the FAT
that
| > causes the problem in Explorer too. Then...
|
| I would say no since after a fresh defrag is done the problem is still
| there, however I think the article is talking more about pointing out
that
| a defrag can take longer when it has to remove those unlinked deleted
| folder entries that are still there. It may be all still in the
ballpark
| though but I'm not gonna open my test bench with this again this time
| unless its wanted from MS or thereabouts. It was an interesting read
| though.
|
| > (1) Do a Scandisk, as every good Defrag is preceded by a recent
| > Scandisk.
| >
| > (2) Trigger the problem in Explorer with a massive delete.
| > After that, a single delete will be sluggish.
| >
| > (3) Don't reboot. Do a Defrag, instead.
| >
| > (4) Delete a useless file. Was the sluggishness gone?
|
| Nope.
|
| thanks though,
| Rick
|

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| >| Hi PCR,
| >|
| >| Yep love those zero byte files makes it so easy to test this.
| >| thanks for the reply and checking it too.
| >|
| >| Rick
| >|

issue ;)
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|

Regardless of the support policy, I think one can make a case that Microsoft has an obligation to fix this issue. Why? Well, this is not a recently introduced bug. The bug was introduced with the release of IE 6 back in 2001! It is a serious problem which affects a core function of Windows Explorer.

Since IE 6 SP1 is currently the only supported version of IE for Windows 98, this issue should be fixed.

By the way, has anybody tested this in Windows Me yet? If not, Rick, would you be willing to post to the Windows Me newsgroup about this, asking people to replicate the problem? (I could do it too, but I figure you have information about this issue gathered in a more coherent manner.)

IB

Ivan Bútora wrote:
> Regardless of the support policy, I think one can make a case that
> Microsoft has an obligation to fix this issue. Why? Well, this is not a
> recently introduced bug. The bug was introduced with the release of IE 6
> back in 2001! It is a serious problem which affects a core function of
> Windows Explorer.

I would hope they would consider fixing this under a grandfather clause of
some sort since this problem has been so ever present since IE6 first came
out in August of 2001. I've always suggested that it would be great if on
the next IE6 Cumulative that comes out for 98 if they could fit a fix for
this in with it too, and everytime over the years that a cumulative came
out I was always surprised that it was never fixed yet.

> Since IE 6 SP1 is currently the only supported version of IE for Windows
> 98, this issue should be fixed.

Okay :)

> By the way, has anybody tested this in Windows Me yet?

Yes cquirke said it has happened to him on WME, and I think (but my memory
is not positive on this) that glee tested it on a WME machine at work and
seen it happen too? I do not currently use WME or have easy access to it
at the moment to test it right this minute.

> If not, Rick, would you be willing to post to the Windows Me newsgroup
> about this, asking people to replicate the problem? (I could do it too,
but
> I figure you have information about this issue gathered in a more
coherent
> manner.)

If I was an active user of WME and frequented that group it would be
natural for me to post there, but besides W2K & WXP I also use W98SE and so
it's best I just support/report upon what I actually frequently use and
know.

thank you,
Rick