Sign in with
Your question

Best Cards for use with PHOTOSHOP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 5, 2006 12:19:51 AM

Hi, could someone please help me get my head around what type of card I would need to get the best out of Photoshop?

I have been graciously advised by someone else on another part of this forum to go for an Opteron 170 chip on an A8n SLI asus board...however what would be some good Graphics cards for this setup for 1. Use with photoshop...2. Games...and 3. Maya/Studio max...but mainly for photoshop!

Also, would it be better to use 2 graphics cards on this...such as 2 NVIDIA 6600 256MB 8X AGP cards or maybe just a better one on it's own?

What about the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 512MB PCI-express?

I'm sorry i'm a little dumb when it comes to this sort of thing...

Anyway, thanks for any help

More about : cards photoshop

May 5, 2006 12:26:49 AM

I don't use photoshop that much but a person i know does and Nvidia cards are better from what they say.
May 5, 2006 12:29:43 AM

I can't remember the article i read, but I do remember that the new x1XXX cores handle photoshop better than the rest.
Related resources
May 5, 2006 12:33:05 AM

Nvidia is better with the quadro's at photoshop
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2006 12:58:56 AM

Quote:

I doubt it would even be better than a plain Geforce, let alone an ATi or better yet Matrox card. Quadros are a waste of money for Photoshop itself.

The Quadros would be better for 3DSMAX and Maya for sure, but not Photoshop.

Edited for civility. :wink:
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2006 1:06:48 AM

Quote:

I have been graciously advised by someone else on another part of this forum to go for an Opteron 170 chip on an A8n SLI asus board...however what would be some good Graphics cards for this setup for 1. Use with photoshop...2. Games...and 3. Maya/Studio max...but mainly for photoshop!

I would suggest getting a good mid-level geforce card. The 3DSmax and maya portions would benifit from more 3D speed, and would also benifit from SLi according to Crashman's findings, but for photshop the impact would be minimal.

Quote:
Also, would it be better to use 2 graphics cards on this...such as 2 NVIDIA 6600 256MB 8X AGP cards or maybe just a better one on it's own?

It can be benificial for preview performance in the professional 3D apps (likely due to the multiplier effect of more geometry engines), but I'd say put that money into.. more memory, faster CPU, faster HDs, etc. which will give you better global results.

Quote:
What about the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 512MB PCI-express?

The larger memory may find some situations where it's benificial, but I would prefer a GF7600 series card rather than two GF6600s in SLi.

Also what are you going to connect these to? If you're using a large LCD I would suggest checking for dual-link DVI, if it's a CRT you'll be ok but may find one card or another better for your colour fidelity and perhaps even your edge definition. Most cards are very close nowadays though and only if you're truely picky will you notice the differences, and in that case you'll llikely have to make a decision that will favour your 2D but truely limit/cripple your 3D.

I'd say get one at a time, start with a single GF7600 and see what you think, then consider SLi later.
May 5, 2006 1:07:19 AM

Quote:

BS! Show me shome proof it would even be better than a plain Geforce, let alone an ATi or better yet Matrox card. Quadros are a waste of money for Photoshop itself.

The Quadros would be better for 3DSMAX and Maya for sure, but not Photoshop. I'm sorry grape ape i did get it confused with maya.
May 5, 2006 1:07:29 AM

So what then for photoshop?...I do actually mention Maya and Studio max so he is right in some sense!

However, what about some names and numbers? I have no clue other than the GeForce 6600! So what about that? in fact what about 2 of the buggers? Would that make a difference?
May 5, 2006 1:13:44 AM

Awesome thanks for that...it's definitely the help I needed.

At the mo I have a 19" TFT, not sure on spec but is pretty good...also have a 28" LCD TV with a PC connection.

I am thinking about getting another TFT and have 2 TFT's but i'm not sure if 1. the A8N-Sli Premium/Opteron 170...supports this...or 2.If it's down to the graphics card for dual Screens? I was planning on getting a dual moboard, with 2 940 socket chips but it's rather expensive and abit too pro for me at this time.
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2006 1:15:24 AM

Quote:
So what then for photoshop?...I do actually mention Maya and Studio max so he is right in some sense!

I know he's right in the sense of the 3D apps, and I mention that. Of course being terse and sharp about photoshop. (my bad, but it bugs me when those statements are made)

For photoshop alone, Matrox P series, especially due not only to their quality, but their Adobe driver add-ins and optimized performance, however like I said your 3D will suck pretty hard. So IMO, avoid them for your situation.

Quote:
However, what about some names and numbers? I have no clue other than the GeForce 6600! So what about that? in fact what about 2 of the buggers? Would that make a difference?

Read my second post.

GF7600 / 7600GT , google it.

Better solution IMO, and likely best bang for your buck you'll find out there right now.

Monney no object then get 2 Quadros and SLi them.

Forget the GF6600 unless you're starting with just one and on a tight budget, and even then maybe consider a GF6800 instead.
May 5, 2006 1:22:55 AM

Yeah, sorry about that I was in the process of writing whilst you posted your second message.

Thanks for your help. I'll check them out now. Great stuff
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2006 1:26:54 AM

Quote:

At the mo I have a 19" TFT, not sure on spec but is pretty good...also have a 28" LCD TV with a PC connection.

Won't be an issue, only if you were thinking large panel as in LARGE resolution LCD (like the Cinema Displays' or DELL 24-30") would I say get the dual-link DVI, and if you're doing multi-monitor, you'll likely be sticking in that 19" area. Two singl-link DVI should be fine for you for a while, until you decide you want those tasty big screen. :twisted:

Quote:
I am thinking about getting another TFT and have 2 TFT's but i'm not sure if 1. the A8N-Sli Premium/Opteron 170...supports this...or 2.If it's down to the graphics card for dual Screens? I was planning on getting a dual moboard, with 2 940 socket chips but it's rather expensive and abit too pro for me at this time.

Well the way I'd look at it is that overall likely a single GF6600 and 2 opteron will outperform the single opteron and more powerful cards. But what you can consider is a dual MoBo and then just start with one CPU, that's how I eased myself into dual Proc initially, although I bought the second one like 2 weeks later cause it was too tempting. 8)

I think the underlying thing is if you're unsure of whether you need it or not or can make use of it or not, then you likely don't... for now. Sticking with a basic setup with the dual core CPU, good memory and a GF7600 will get you well on your way. But the thing to do is to research everything. I know the dual proc differences from experience, but I'm not sure how impactful 3DSMAX/Maya is with quad cores, I saw a review a few weeks back but I forget that part of it as I was focusing on the video editing which was greatly affected.

Anywhoo, I'd suggest look for quad core reviews that include the apps you're looking at, it may very well have been a Tom's review that I saw, I can't rememberit now though, and I don't have time to check it here at work as I'm heading out the door.

If I see it at home, I'll post it here.
May 9, 2006 10:47:05 AM

There's a lot of guff being mentioned in this thread. As long as your Video card is reasonably modern and has enough vram to hold a pagefile (easy today) then your video card will NOT have any impact on photoshops performance in terms of speed. Nil. Nada. None.

What your video card WILL have an effect on is image quality. To this end, cheap 3D cards built solely for gamers will suffer (though they're much better than they used to be). Matrox Cards are the favourites but you can fully expect a Quadro card built for visual workstations WILL produce a significantly better image fidelity than it's consumer orientated cousins.

Lee.
May 9, 2006 12:06:54 PM

Photoshop does require only lot's of processing power and memory (2 GB would be a nice choice). You should also consider using raid HD struture as even 2GB of memory is good , Photoshop will require a scratch area to handle your projects, with better HD and in raid , you will get better performance in handling images in Photoshop. No VGA power is used with Photoshop. If you intent to use Maya with resonable intense, I would recomend you got one 6800 ultra ( only at ebay probably) and using riva turner and turning into Quadro VGA . So you will get the gaming power of 6800 Ultra (not bad ) and the rendering power of Quadro FX4500 ... you can also use it in SLi as your MB allow you. Another option is using a 6600 GT (which can also be turned into quadro), both on PCIexpress as the MB mentioned only allow PCiexpress VGA. I have never tried to turn 6600 512 MB into quadro, it may have project changes that block the possibility to use Riva turner to convert the VGA into quadro.... your CPU choice is a must , maybe the best to OC , but maybe you can consider to get Opteron 165 (which can be safelly OC to 2.6 , with better performance than stock opteron 170 ) and save some bucks to have Sli ... (don't forget to get a premium power supply for this )...
May 9, 2006 6:13:20 PM

Quote:
There's a lot of guff being mentioned in this thread. As long as your Video card is reasonably modern and has enough vram to hold a pagefile (easy today) then your video card will NOT have any impact on photoshops performance in terms of speed.

Yeah, but read the posts... the guy mentioned 3dsMAX & Maya.
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2006 11:56:54 PM

Quote:
There's a lot of guff being mentioned in this thread. As long as your Video card is reasonably modern and has enough vram to hold a pagefile (easy today) then your video card will NOT have any impact on photoshops performance in terms of speed. Nil. Nada. None.

Like Cleeve said re-read the entire thread, and focus on exactly what I wrote, especially when it comes to 2D quality as well as 3D speed.

Quote:
What your video card WILL have an effect on is image quality. To this end, cheap 3D cards built solely for gamers will suffer (though they're much better than they used to be).

I'd put the X1300's 2D quality against any entry level Qaudro based on the fact that most Quadros are single link at anywhere near the same price, only the 560 and 1500 are dual link of the entry level, and that their analogue performance has never been shown to be stellar, so for the added cost you get nothing special for 2D, and how well will an FX560 perform compared to a GF7800GS, would the drivers alone be able to makeup the performance difference. Then consider which would be more worthwhile spending money on, a better CPU+Memory+HD or all on the Quadro?

Quote:
Matrox Cards are the favourites but you can fully expect a Quadro card built for visual workstations WILL produce a significantly better image fidelity than it's consumer orientated cousins.

Depends on the level of Quadro. I doubt you'd notice any 2D difference between the two if they are both dual link card. Heck if you care about 2D then you want ATi or Matrox (whether they are their entry level or Workstation cards) for their 10bit per channel accuracy, and if you want 3D precision for for high depth geomtery in professional apps and feel the need for 12bit sub pixel accuracy, then your only options are nVidia. But I haven't heard many pro-sumers complain about the deficit in those 2 primary architectures. And if you want gigantic Viewport Res, then the Realizm is your only option 8Kx8K (Ati and nV are 4Kx4k IIRC).

But really we're talking about bang/buck and multi-app use, in which case the regualr Geforces and Radeons will likely get the job done, and not cost a fortune in doing so, that would be better spent elsewhere.
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2006 12:12:41 AM

Quote:
I would recomend you got one 6800 ultra ( only at ebay probably) and using riva turner and turning into Quadro VGA . So you will get the gaming power of 6800 Ultra (not bad ) and the rendering power of Quadro FX4500 ...

Exactly, and a SoftQuadro & better CPU+Mem+HD would be a far better choice IMO.

Quote:
.... your CPU choice is a must , maybe the best to OC , but maybe you can consider to get Opteron 165 (which can be safelly OC to 2.6 , with better performance than stock opteron 170 ) and save some bucks to have Sli ... (don't forget to get a premium power supply for this )...

I'd still not bother with the SLi since the performance difference while being statistically noticeable wouldn't be worth it overall IMO, but that's just a personal feel on it I favour a more global boost in the other 3 areas.
May 10, 2006 1:21:05 AM

Funny, because the answer to the question is "none".

Yep, that's right, Built-in Graphics IGP is as good as a $500 3D card for Photoshop.

Photoshop does NOT use 3D API, and it CAN NOT use any "graphics memory" (That is reserved for Textures in 3D Mode).

Any graphics card which displays an acceptable 2D Windows Desktop is PERFECT for photoshop use. A larger, faster, more powerful card will NOT improve photoshop performance AT ALL.

In this regard, previous poster is correct: Matrox make the best cards for Photoshop. But your 3D performance and rendering in Maya and 3DSMax would suck donket testicles.

In other words, you do not need to consider photoshop as a part of the mix when buying a GFx card.

The limiting factors in photoshop performance are System Memory Size (Can you say "2GB = Good?"), and Disk Speed. Photoshop gains a lot of performance by having its first "Scratch Disk" set on a non-system-disk, and one which is extremely quick (Think NCQ SATA II or Raptor 10K).

There are also things which will slow down Photoshop dramatically: maintaining 100 levels of "undo" consumes stupendous amounts of RAM, particularly if working with 100MB JPGs is a good example.

Funny how Photoshop help files tell you all this.

Remember: RTFM!
May 10, 2006 2:41:07 AM

It sounds to me like a like a value version of either one of the monster gpus from the big 2 would do for your needs and you would be best served by a pair of WD Raptors and 2gigs or RAM (per CPU socket if SMP) as was previously stated. Photoshop loves disk performance and memory. If this is for business use, time is money, and fast hard disks will save you allot more time than a quick video card. And if you intend on gaming get a consumer card for the most compatibility with games.
May 10, 2006 2:50:20 AM

Quote:
For photoshop alone, Matrox P series

I CAUGHT YOU!!!!!

........and it hasnt even been a month :wink:
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2006 6:30:34 AM

Quote:
For photoshop alone, Matrox P series

I CAUGHT YOU!!!!!

........and it hasnt even been a month :wink:

Well C'mon it's Photoshop, like the only true thing I CAN recommend them for. 8)
!