Cost per page colour lasers

In my local Staples it said 6.5p for a page with 20% coverage.

Does this sound right?

Ken
6 answers Last reply
More about cost page colour lasers

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:53:57 -0000, "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:

    >In my local Staples it said 6.5p for a page with 20% coverage.
    >
    >Does this sound right?

    Perhaps for "a" laser, but not for all lasers.
    A bit like saying "cars, 37 mpg, does it sound right"

    "pete" <pete@maildox.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:53:57 -0000, "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:
    >
    >>In my local Staples it said 6.5p for a page with 20% coverage.
    >>
    >>Does this sound right?
    >>

    > Perhaps for "a" laser, but not for all lasers.
    > A bit like saying "cars, 37 mpg, does it sound right"

    It was a Konica Minolta 2400 for which I always thought the cost per page
    figures quoted were for 5% coverage - a quarter of the Staples statement.

    Ken

    Ken wrote:
    > "pete" <pete@maildox.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:53:57 -0000, "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:
    >>

    >>>In my local Staples it said 6.5p for a page with 20% coverage.
    >>>
    >>>Does this sound right?
    >>>

    >>Perhaps for "a" laser, but not for all lasers.
    >>A bit like saying "cars, 37 mpg, does it sound right"
    > Base for cost comparisosn
    >
    > It was a Konica Minolta 2400 for which I always thought the cost per page
    > figures quoted were for 5% coverage - a quarter of the Staples statement.
    >
    > Ken

    Staples gave you the 5% coverage figure at 5% for each colour, and since
    there are four colours, quoted 20% coverage. This is nonsense IMO, but
    common. The correct quote IMO should be "at 5% coverage, using all four
    colours." But what that means in terms of coverage for each colour is
    another question. 5% coverage is 12 pt text double spaced with approx.
    2cm margin on an A4 or 8-1/2x11 page -- or so it was described to me
    once, when I asked. If you use coloured text, obviously you still have
    5% coverage, just a different combination of inks.

    For black (single colour) printing the 5% coverage standard is well
    established, and works if accompanied by qualifiers such as "at letter
    quality printing." It's also related to the real world, since a typical
    business letter with letterhead amounts to about 5% coverage. (Note that
    this standard refers to the amount of space taken up by each character,
    _not_ to the amount of space taken by the ink dots, which is another
    issue, see below.)

    20% coverage would be a strip about 12cm wide from one edge of the page
    to the other. What this means in terms of % coverage in terms of ink is
    something else again. It depends on whether the inks are layered, or
    printed next to each other (like the pixels on a screen), or partly
    overlapping, or spaced apart. That's a matter of printer technology and
    printing quality. I've been told that different printers lay down the
    ink or toner differently.

    Then there is the issue of draft vs high-quality printing. Draft
    printing will use as little as one quarter of the ink used by HQ
    printing - which means than "coverage" is less for the same size image
    or typeface. These considerations make "x% coverage" a term with little
    relation to the real world use when it comes to colour printing.

    IMO, colour printing costs should be based on full colour, HQ 4" x 6"
    (10cm x 15cm) prints. Not that I insist on this size - I just want a
    common base of comparison. "x% coverage" is not good enough for colour
    printing.

    HTH

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:14:51 -0000, "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:

    >"pete" <pete@maildox.com> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:53:57 -0000, "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In my local Staples it said 6.5p for a page with 20% coverage.
    >>>
    >>>Does this sound right?
    >>>

    >> Perhaps for "a" laser, but not for all lasers.
    >> A bit like saying "cars, 37 mpg, does it sound right"
    >
    >It was a Konica Minolta 2400 for which I always thought the cost per page
    >figures quoted were for 5% coverage - a quarter of the Staples statement.
    >
    >Ken

    For peace of mind, you can ask Minolta direct
    info@bpe.konicaminolta.co.uk
    or phone them 01784 442255

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:14:51 -0000, Ken wrote:

    >>>In my local Staples it said 6.5p for a page with 20% coverage.
    >>>
    >>>Does this sound right?
    >>>

    >> Perhaps for "a" laser, but not for all lasers.
    >> A bit like saying "cars, 37 mpg, does it sound right"
    >
    > It was a Konica Minolta 2400 for which I always thought the cost per page
    > figures quoted were for 5% coverage - a quarter of the Staples statement.

    They probably mean 5% of black, cyan, magenta and yellow which makes 20%.

    The figure of 6.5p seems quite low, I just did a quick calculation and got
    it to around 7.8p + VAT.

    These calculations are never very accurate because they are based on the
    manufacturers stated life of the consumables which always achieved in
    optimum conditions not in real life.

    Peter
    http://www.printerbase.co.uk/

    I suspect Staples is using 5% per color and coming up with 20% coverage.
    Usually, the manufacturers use 5% per color as a basis. However, most
    colors are made up of several overlayed toner colors, so the cverage of
    the paper surface is not defined quite as simply.

    Art

    Ken wrote:

    > "pete" <pete@maildox.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:53:57 -0000, "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:
    >>

    >>>In my local Staples it said 6.5p for a page with 20% coverage.
    >>>
    >>>Does this sound right?
    >>>

    >>Perhaps for "a" laser, but not for all lasers.
    >>A bit like saying "cars, 37 mpg, does it sound right"
    >

    > It was a Konica Minolta 2400 for which I always thought the cost per page
    > figures quoted were for 5% coverage - a quarter of the Staples statement.
    >
    > Ken

Printers Peripherals