Mar 10, 2006
ok so checked out the asus site here

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A7V8X

and it says i can install a

Sempron 3000+

Sempron 2800+ (model 8)

Athlon XP 3000+(333 MHZ FSB)(Model 10)(Barton

as well as many others

i picked out those cpus thinkging the were the fastest. are they? im pretty sure the duron is slower than these.

the problem is i do not know how to find out how to search for these to purchase on ebay or price grabber.

what does model 8 or 10 mean?

my board is a socket a right? is that the same as socket 462?

so which cpu on that page is that fasted?

i checked my mobo and it's revision 2.01 and i do have the fsb33 sticker they ask for on one of the chips on my mobo.

4745454b

Titan
SocketA/462 Semprons are rebadged throughbred Athlons. The Tbred Athlons have half the L2 cache of their Barton core brothers. If my memory serves, the semprons are also clocked a bit slower then the bartons. This means that the XP 3000 is the fastest chip that you listed.
As far as finding them go, this will prove painful. Even if you find one, it will be very expensive. You might be better off buying a new motherboard and buying a more modern CPU, as it will be cheaper. You also didn't list what you'd be upgrading from, so you might be better off buying a lower priced SocketA CPU.

Socket A is socket 462.

The fastest CPU you can use is the Athlon XP 3000+.

The fastest Sempron you can install is the Sempron 3000+

Best guess, the Sempron 3000+ is probably as fast as an Athlon 2700+.

Forget the stepping, just realize that you can only use Athlons and Semprons with a FSB (front sideband) of 333MHz.

Don't confuse a Socket A Sempron with a Socket 754 Sempron.

Socket A CPU are expensive compared to more modern CPUs with much better performance.

When doing a search on ebay or where ever just do a search on what you want like "Athlon XP 3000+".

Here are some examples from ebay:

Athlon XP 3000+, 400MHz - Don't buy this because the FSB is 400MHz, not 333MHz. I don't want to get into the specifics, but if you buy this you will screw yourself.

Athlon XP 3000+, 333MHz - This is something to consider since it has a FSB of 333MHz.

Athlon XP 3000+, 333MHz - Avoid something like this. What the hell? It's a CPU, not a piece of bread you're trying to smear butter on. Look at all that paste. just what the hell is he hiding?

Don't want to deal with bidding on ebay? Just want one now? Click here. This OEM which means it comes with no heatsink so you have to buy your own. Don't use your existing one since it may not be to cool an Athlon XP 3000+. You need to buy one that is rated to do so. You will not be getting a 3 year warranty, you should find out from them what the warranty is. It could be anywhere from 15 days to 1 year.

Here's a heatsink fan that can cool the Athlon XP 3000+.

Good luck.

fucdemas

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
wow! you guys are awesome.

so to the dude that mentioned the mobile core. um. dude, will that work? according to asus they do not mention that processor. plus it's for a laptop. i assume cooling would be less of an issue but something screems to me INCOMPATABILTY. i don't know what it is.

i found a great link on wiki pedia that says the sempr0n 3000+ and the xp 3200+ are the same except the xp 3200+ is clocked at 2.2 vs 2.0 for the sempron. everything else is the same except for the multiplier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_Central_Processing_Units

notice i mentioned the 3200+ there is no listing for the 3000+. now i realize that comparion is nil.

any thoughts on the lack of ommison of the 3000+ on that chart or is it just a typo?

jaguarsskx - you are the man. i appreciate the work you did. if you have any questions about pro audio or guitars , i'd be glad to share my time and effort any time. you went above and beyond with those links.

as far as 463 vs 754 i'm much aware of the difference.

and for the last link with the thermal paste smeared on it just says to me "i've been overclocked so much i'm gonna burn out in 3 months".

so in looking at these links i'll have to spend at least $120.

can get a mobo/cpu combo that will beat my current setup (need agp and firewire too) for $120?

i also need to consider what my mobo and cpu would sell for on ebay to contribute to my purchases. i say $80 bucks for the a7v8x and the amd athalon 1.4 i have now.

is that a far guess?

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
wow! you guys are awesome.

so to the dude that mentioned the mobile core. um. dude, will that work? according to asus they do not mention that processor. plus it's for a laptop. i assume cooling would be less of an issue but something screems to me INCOMPATABILTY. i don't know what it is.

i found a great link on wiki pedia that says the sempr0n 3000+ and the xp 3200+ are the same except the xp 3200+ is clocked at 2.2 vs 2.0 for the sempron. everything else is the same except for the multiplier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_Central_Processing_Units

notice i mentioned the 3200+ there is no listing for the 3000+. now i realize that comparion is nil.

any thoughts on the lack of ommison of the 3000+ on that chart or is it just a typo?

jaguarsskx - you are the man. i appreciate the work you did. if you have any questions about pro audio or guitars , i'd be glad to share my time and effort any time. you went above and beyond with those links.

as far as 463 vs 754 i'm much aware of the difference.

and for the last link with the thermal paste smeared on it just says to me "i've been overclocked so much i'm gonna burn out in 3 months".

so in looking at these links i'll have to spend at least $120.

can get a mobo/cpu combo that will beat my current setup (need agp and firewire too) for $120?

i also need to consider what my mobo and cpu would sell for on ebay to contribute to my purchases. i say $80 bucks for the a7v8x and the amd athalon 1.4 i have now.

is that a far guess?
It's pin compatable it should work you might need to adjust the voltage but it should work.