reinstall second Edition with no 98 disk

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 10, 2005 5:20:27 PM

My older computer has a mess of old
programs I deleted that won't uninstall.
I'd just as soon wipe everything off
and start from fresh. It has 98 2nd edition
but I don't know where the disk for the
first edition is. I do have the 98 2nd edition disk
and also the original disk from the manufacturer
(has windows 95 on it).

What can I do to make this computer
operable?

I'd consider moving up to 2000 or XP but it
has only 6 gig on it and I don't know if
that is enough for those operating systems.

Any ideas of help appreciated

More about : reinstall edition disk

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:01:10 AM

Excellent info, thank you so much Alan! I read somewhere that I needed
to have the first 98 but you're right maybe I never had it. I don't
ever remember having it and it wouldn't be like me to lose it. So the
CD that I have says "Not for retail or OEM Distribution" "Windows 98
Second Edition for PC's without Windows".

I also have a boot disc. Can you give me the steps as to how to do this
or point me to a link? Thanks, this looks like good news.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:54:42 AM

Are you certain you ever had a Win98 first edition?
It is not a prerequisite for Win98 SE unless you have the UPDATE CD
(see below)

Here's some info about the various types of W98SE CDs: (from Ron
Badour)

RETAIL FULL INSTALL: This CD will either upgrade W95/98 to SE or you
can install it to a blank hard drive.

RETAIL UPGRADE INSTALL: This CD will either upgrade W95/98 to SE or
you can install it to a blank hard drive; however, when installing to
a blank drive, install will ask to see the qualifying system (i.e.,
W95) disk(s).

OEM FULL INSTALL. This SE CD is designed to be installed to a blank
hard drive; however, there is a good possibility that you can trick it
into upgrading. For info, go to:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html Be aware that if you
buy an OEM disk, it might be customized for installation on a
particular computer; however, this will probably be primarily with a
used disk.

UPDATE CD: This CD will only update a functioning copy of W98 to
W98SE. When MS sold them, they were $20 and came with a ProductKey.
Some venders were selling them and advising customers to use the W98
ProductKey which may or may not work--don't get stung. This outfit is
selling them for $35:
http://www.micronetxp.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen...

RECOVERY CD: Some companies will brand an OEM CD and call it a
recovery CD. You should avoid these unless it is the exact recovery CD
you are looking for. Many recovery CDs will only install on the
equipment they were intended for.

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On 10 Aug 2005 13:20:27 -0700, jamesfonda1@yahoo.com wrote:

>My older computer has a mess of old
>programs I deleted that won't uninstall.
>I'd just as soon wipe everything off
>and start from fresh. It has 98 2nd edition
>but I don't know where the disk for the
>first edition is. I do have the 98 2nd edition disk
>and also the original disk from the manufacturer
>(has windows 95 on it).
>
>What can I do to make this computer
>operable?
>
>I'd consider moving up to 2000 or XP but it
>has only 6 gig on it and I don't know if
>that is enough for those operating systems.
>
>Any ideas of help appreciated
August 11, 2005 10:34:57 PM

You certainly don't have an update disk as you have an OEM version
designed for a clean install, so I see no reason why you would have
had a WIN98 first edition (I never had that version myself and went
direct from Win95 to Win98 SE)

Try here:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html

....Alan
--

On 10 Aug 2005 22:01:10 -0700, jamesfonda1@yahoo.com wrote:

>Excellent info, thank you so much Alan! I read somewhere that I needed
>to have the first 98 but you're right maybe I never had it. I don't
>ever remember having it and it wouldn't be like me to lose it. So the
>CD that I have says "Not for retail or OEM Distribution" "Windows 98
>Second Edition for PC's without Windows".
>
>I also have a boot disc. Can you give me the steps as to how to do this
>or point me to a link? Thanks, this looks like good news.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:29:14 PM

thank you so much Alan! This worked perfectly and I'm up
and running!
!