reinstall second Edition with no 98 disk

My older computer has a mess of old
programs I deleted that won't uninstall.
I'd just as soon wipe everything off
and start from fresh. It has 98 2nd edition
but I don't know where the disk for the
first edition is. I do have the 98 2nd edition disk
and also the original disk from the manufacturer
(has windows 95 on it).

What can I do to make this computer
operable?

I'd consider moving up to 2000 or XP but it
has only 6 gig on it and I don't know if
that is enough for those operating systems.

Any ideas of help appreciated
4 answers Last reply
More about reinstall edition disk

    Excellent info, thank you so much Alan! I read somewhere that I needed
    to have the first 98 but you're right maybe I never had it. I don't
    ever remember having it and it wouldn't be like me to lose it. So the
    CD that I have says "Not for retail or OEM Distribution" "Windows 98
    Second Edition for PC's without Windows".

    I also have a boot disc. Can you give me the steps as to how to do this
    or point me to a link? Thanks, this looks like good news.

    Are you certain you ever had a Win98 first edition?
    It is not a prerequisite for Win98 SE unless you have the UPDATE CD
    (see below)

    Here's some info about the various types of W98SE CDs: (from Ron
    Badour)

    RETAIL FULL INSTALL: This CD will either upgrade W95/98 to SE or you
    can install it to a blank hard drive.

    RETAIL UPGRADE INSTALL: This CD will either upgrade W95/98 to SE or
    you can install it to a blank hard drive; however, when installing to
    a blank drive, install will ask to see the qualifying system (i.e.,
    W95) disk(s).

    OEM FULL INSTALL. This SE CD is designed to be installed to a blank
    hard drive; however, there is a good possibility that you can trick it
    into upgrading. For info, go to:
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html Be aware that if you
    buy an OEM disk, it might be customized for installation on a
    particular computer; however, this will probably be primarily with a
    used disk.

    UPDATE CD: This CD will only update a functioning copy of W98 to
    W98SE. When MS sold them, they were $20 and came with a ProductKey.
    Some venders were selling them and advising customers to use the W98
    ProductKey which may or may not work--don't get stung. This outfit is
    selling them for $35:
    http://www.micronetxp.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AB&Product_Code=WIN98SE&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

    RECOVERY CD: Some companies will brand an OEM CD and call it a
    recovery CD. You should avoid these unless it is the exact recovery CD
    you are looking for. Many recovery CDs will only install on the
    equipment they were intended for.

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On 10 Aug 2005 13:20:27 -0700, jamesfonda1@yahoo.com wrote:

    >My older computer has a mess of old
    >programs I deleted that won't uninstall.
    >I'd just as soon wipe everything off
    >and start from fresh. It has 98 2nd edition
    >but I don't know where the disk for the
    >first edition is. I do have the 98 2nd edition disk
    >and also the original disk from the manufacturer
    >(has windows 95 on it).
    >
    >What can I do to make this computer
    >operable?
    >
    >I'd consider moving up to 2000 or XP but it
    >has only 6 gig on it and I don't know if
    >that is enough for those operating systems.
    >
    >Any ideas of help appreciated

    You certainly don't have an update disk as you have an OEM version
    designed for a clean install, so I see no reason why you would have
    had a WIN98 first edition (I never had that version myself and went
    direct from Win95 to Win98 SE)

    Try here:
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html

    ....Alan
    --

    On 10 Aug 2005 22:01:10 -0700, jamesfonda1@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Excellent info, thank you so much Alan! I read somewhere that I needed
    >to have the first 98 but you're right maybe I never had it. I don't
    >ever remember having it and it wouldn't be like me to lose it. So the
    >CD that I have says "Not for retail or OEM Distribution" "Windows 98
    >Second Edition for PC's without Windows".
    >
    >I also have a boot disc. Can you give me the steps as to how to do this
    >or point me to a link? Thanks, this looks like good news.

    thank you so much Alan! This worked perfectly and I'm up
    and running!

Windows