Unknown device

The below is a message I received from a friend. Any ideas on how she can
solve this. She does use Win98.

it's telling us when it powers up that there's an unknown device,then it
won't log into internet cause the port is already open

Thanks
Carolyn (buglyh@hotmail.com)
5 answers Last reply
More about unknown device

    It could be the problem may be solved much as Geoff suggests, though I
    don't know why it necessarily is the modem.

    (a) Boot to Safe Mode by holding F5 or CTRL as you boot.
    (b) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
    (c) Click the plus sign left of Other Devices, &
    (d) Remove each device in that branch.
    (e) Reboot to Normal Mode.

    Hopefully, Explorer will find & install the device properly. Otherwise,
    attempt to identify the unknown per the following article. Then, go to
    the manufacturer's WEB site for proper drivers...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q298837
    How to use Registry Editor to identify an unknown PCI device

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Carolyn H." <dabugspam@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    | The below is a message I received from a friend. Any ideas on how she
    can
    | solve this. She does use Win98.
    |
    | it's telling us when it powers up that there's an unknown device,then
    it
    | won't log into internet cause the port is already open
    |
    | Thanks
    | Carolyn (buglyh@hotmail.com)

    "Carolyn H." <dabugspam@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > The below is a message I received from a friend. Any ideas on how she
    can
    > solve this. She does use Win98.
    >
    > it's telling us when it powers up that there's an unknown device,then
    it
    > won't log into internet cause the port is already open
    >
    > Thanks
    > Carolyn (buglyh@hotmail.com)

    You are far more likely to get some help if you copy and paste your
    friend's error message into your post, otherwise it is probably too
    vague. Also what browser is she using?

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    > It could be the problem may be solved much as Geoff suggests, though I
    > don't know why it necessarily is the modem.
    >
    > (a) Boot to Safe Mode by holding F5 or CTRL as you boot.
    > (b) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
    > (c) Click the plus sign left of Other Devices, &
    > (d) Remove each device in that branch.
    > (e) Reboot to Normal Mode.
    >
    > Hopefully, Explorer will find & install the device properly.
    Otherwise,
    > attempt to identify the unknown per the following article. Then, go to
    > the manufacturer's WEB site for proper drivers...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q298837
    > How to use Registry Editor to identify an unknown PCI device
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR

    At (c) you mention 'Other Devices', but I cannot find such an entry in
    my Device Manager in Win98 SE and I notice that the enquirer has Win98.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    It normally won't be there! I did have one in the midst of installing a
    Promise/Maxtor Ultra ATA Adapter Card, but it became the card at final
    reboot. Now, even that is gone. (I quickly uninstalled it.)

    --
    "Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    | > It could be the problem may be solved much as Geoff suggests, though
    | > don't know why it necessarily is the modem.
    | >
    | > (a) Boot to Safe Mode by holding F5 or CTRL as you boot.
    | > (b) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
    | > (c) Click the plus sign left of Other Devices, &
    | > (d) Remove each device in that branch.
    | > (e) Reboot to Normal Mode.
    | >
    | > Hopefully, Explorer will find & install the device properly.
    | Otherwise,
    | > attempt to identify the unknown per the following article. Then, go
    | > the manufacturer's WEB site for proper drivers...
    | >
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q298837
    | > How to use Registry Editor to identify an unknown PCI device
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    |
    | At (c) you mention 'Other Devices', but I cannot find such an entry in
    | my Device Manager in Win98 SE and I notice that the enquirer has
    Win98.

    | Regards,
    | Emrys Davies.

    Sounds like a modem problem. Remove the device in Safe Mode. Shutdown the
    computer and reinstall the modem and it should seek out the drivers on her
    system to return to proper working order.

    > "Carolyn H." <dabugspam@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    >> The below is a message I received from a friend. Any ideas on how she
    > can
    >> solve this. She does use Win98.
    >>
    >> it's telling us when it powers up that there's an unknown device,then
    > it
    >> won't log into internet cause the port is already open
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Carolyn (buglyh@hotmail.com)
    >
    > You are far more likely to get some help if you copy and paste your
    > friend's error message into your post, otherwise it is probably too
    > vague. Also what browser is she using?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Emrys Davies.

Microsoft Devices Internet Windows