Problem with Mssysmgr

I'm having problems with my system slowing way down. When I do a
Cntrl/ALt/Delete, I find that the subject file "is not responding". The
system goes back to normal if i exit the application.
I assume this is a Microsoft system manager type file. I found it in
C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG.
Can anyone tell me what this file is and why it might not be responding?
--
jwjim
12 answers Last reply

    Where is that file located...?...

    C:\Program Files\Broderbund\PhotoShow Deluxe\data\xtras\mssysmgr.exe

    Then, it is part of your PhotoShow. The one in C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG would
    be normal. It is used by Defrag to optimize file placement.

    (1) When did you install PhotoShow? Was it tough to do? Perhaps,
    un/re-install it properly.

    (2) See whether a fit/proper Scandisk/Defrag will shake (not stir)
    things back to running order...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
    Articles about Scandisk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
    Articles about Defrag

    I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
    great one to do...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
    Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
    screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
    truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
    "C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either. (When
    running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You must
    "Scandisk /Checkonly", instead. It will write to the same .log. The
    Auto-Scandisk that runs from DOS after a crash must be set to "Prompt"
    the bad ones in C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini.) REALLY, in light of
    all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full system backup to run
    to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

    1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
    None)
    2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
    On,Never,Never,Never)
    3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
    4. Suspend Task Scheduler
    5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
    PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
    unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
    Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
    Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
    6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
    (a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
    all offline content, OK, OK"
    (b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
    will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
    unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
    7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
    items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
    want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
    on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
    8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
    unmovables.

    The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
    Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
    Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
    after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
    this says so:
    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
    Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
    HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

    "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
    discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool was
    accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update"
    on your own.

    "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
    by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
    "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

    Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
    384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | I'm having problems with my system slowing way down. When I do a
    | Cntrl/ALt/Delete, I find that the subject file "is not responding".
    The
    | system goes back to normal if i exit the application.
    | I assume this is a Microsoft system manager type file. I found it in
    | C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG.
    | Can anyone tell me what this file is and why it might not be
    responding?
    | --
    | jwjim

    "jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com"
    <jwjimdiscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm having problems with my system slowing way down. When I do a
    > Cntrl/ALt/Delete, I find that the subject file "is not responding". The
    > system goes back to normal if i exit the application.
    > I assume this is a Microsoft system manager type file. I found it in
    > C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG.
    > Can anyone tell me what this file is and why it might not be responding?

    Run MSCONFIG

    Click on Startup

    Remove the check mark in the TaskMonitor box.

    See if that straightens things out.

    Nope. Mssysmgr => PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager
    http://castlecops.com/startuplist-5651.html

    Simple Star: PhotoShow
    http://www.simplestar.com/index.php
    http://www.simplestar.com/support.php (requires cookie enabled)
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
    > I'm having problems with my system slowing way down. When I do a
    > Cntrl/ALt/Delete, I find that the subject file "is not responding". The
    > system goes back to normal if i exit the application.
    > I assume this is a Microsoft system manager type file. I found it in
    > C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG.
    > Can anyone tell me what this file is and why it might not be responding?

    Thanks for your input. Yes i did recently install Photoshow (about a month
    ago) but I don't recall having any problem. So, i haven't tried to
    reinstall. I did run Scandisk and Defrag but Mssysmgr still not responding.
    I also unchecked the Task Monitor box in Startup config. as suggested by Hugh
    Candlin. Still no luck.

    You mentioned some programs I might try; i'm interested in DiskAction
    because it might tell me what's writing to HDD. Is that also available at
    www.pcmag.com?

    Thanks for very informative inputs. I don't have answer yet but you gave me
    lot's of good ideas that help in the process of elimination.

    jwjim
    --
    jwjim

    No, it did not help.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

    jwjim
    --
    jwjim

    > No, it did not help.
    > Thanks for the suggestion.

    Did you reboot after the change?

    You could also run MSINFO32,
    expand the "Software Environment" group.
    and look at the "Running Tasks"
    to see if there is anything listed
    that you feel may be the cause.

    I didn't find any useful info at the simplestar sites. I did send an e-mail
    to simplestar asking about the problem; if i'm lucky, maybe somebody can
    help. The castlecops site did not have any applicable info either, tho' it
    does give some suggestions for removing errors. Maybe thru this site i can
    find an answer.

    Thanks for your input.

    jwjim
    --
    jwjim

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > Nope. Mssysmgr => PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager
    > http://castlecops.com/startuplist-5651.html
    >
    > Simple Star: PhotoShow
    > http://www.simplestar.com/index.php
    > http://www.simplestar.com/support.php (requires cookie enabled)
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
    > > I'm having problems with my system slowing way down. When I do a
    > > Cntrl/ALt/Delete, I find that the subject file "is not responding". The
    > > system goes back to normal if i exit the application.
    > > I assume this is a Microsoft system manager type file. I found it in
    > > C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG.
    > > Can anyone tell me what this file is and why it might not be responding?

    I re-did Task Monitor thing and made sure i had re-booted; still no luck.
    I also ran msinfo32; i don't see anything suspicious in the Running Tasks
    list, tho' i'm not familiar with some of the tasks (i.e. some tasks from
    Creative Technology such as "still image devices monitor ' and a
    "mixer-loader" task). All the rest were generally familiar (e.g. microsoft,
    firewall, and antivirus stuff).
    --
    jwjim

    "Hugh Candlin" wrote:

    > "jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com"
    > <jwjimdiscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > No, it did not help.
    > > Thanks for the suggestion.
    >
    > Did you reboot after the change?
    >
    > You could also run MSINFO32,
    > expand the "Software Environment" group.
    > and look at the "Running Tasks"
    > to see if there is anything listed
    > that you feel may be the cause.

    Try the Broderbund/PhotoShow site for FAQs, or look for them in it's
    folder or for a Readme. "mssysmgr" is not mentioned at the MSKB that I
    saw. Here is the Google result...
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=mssysmgr&hl=en
    GG finds 12 "mssysmgr" mentionings.

    http://www.pcmag.com/ Has many, many great utilities: BHOCop, COA2,
    ContextEdit, Crackup, DiskAction, EndItAll2, Folders, HDValet, InCtrl5,
    ListZapper, RegDetective, RegEdit+, StartupCop, WinTidy, etc. Now,
    suddenly, there is a subscription fee at PCMag, but it's worth it,
    especially if you can get the whole bundle that is there.

    ..........Start..................
    Yearly billing $19.97
    Yearly billing (For PC Magazine subscribers) $14.97
    Monthly billing (limit 3 downloads/month) $4.97
    ..........End...................

    You may try Google, but do you really want to download from any odd
    site?
    http://www.google.com/

    --
    message news:AD2459E2-E826-4A4B-B7FB-AB4627C477AC@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com"
    | > <jwjimdiscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    | > message news:8D98FB16-7A97-4B5E-A061-615D39179331@microsoft.com...
    | > | I'm having problems with my system slowing way down. When I do a
    | > | Cntrl/ALt/Delete, I find that the subject file "is not
    responding".
    | > The
    | > | system goes back to normal if i exit the application.
    | > | I assume this is a Microsoft system manager type file. I found it
    in
    | > | C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG.
    | > | Can anyone tell me what this file is and why it might not be

    Microsoft Firewall? Are you running Win98?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
    > I re-did Task Monitor thing and made sure i had re-booted; still no luck.
    > I also ran msinfo32; i don't see anything suspicious in the Running Tasks
    > list, tho' i'm not familiar with some of the tasks (i.e. some tasks from
    > Creative Technology such as "still image devices monitor ' and a
    > "mixer-loader" task). All the rest were generally familiar (e.g.
    > microsoft, firewall, and antivirus stuff).
    >

    > > "jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com"
    > > <jwjimdiscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message news:69A6F904-C06C-4493-BBA8-A81E4BE459DF@microsoft.com...
    > > > No, it did not help.
    > > > Thanks for the suggestion.
    > >
    > > Did you reboot after the change?
    > >
    > > You could also run MSINFO32,
    > > expand the "Software Environment" group.
    > > and look at the "Running Tasks"
    > > to see if there is anything listed
    > > that you feel may be the cause.

    I'm running Win98 and use ZoneAlarm Pro.

    jwjim
    --
    jwjim

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > Microsoft Firewall? Are you running Win98?
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
    > > I re-did Task Monitor thing and made sure i had re-booted; still no luck.
    > > I also ran msinfo32; i don't see anything suspicious in the Running Tasks
    > > list, tho' i'm not familiar with some of the tasks (i.e. some tasks from
    > > Creative Technology such as "still image devices monitor ' and a
    > > "mixer-loader" task). All the rest were generally familiar (e.g.
    > > microsoft, firewall, and antivirus stuff).
    > >

    > > > "jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com"
    > > > <jwjimdiscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > > message news:69A6F904-C06C-4493-BBA8-A81E4BE459DF@microsoft.com...
    > > >
    > > > Did you reboot after the change?
    > > >
    > > > You could also run MSINFO32,
    > > > expand the "Software Environment" group.
    > > > and look at the "Running Tasks"
    > > > to see if there is anything listed
    > > > that you feel may be the cause.

    OIC.

    jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
    > I'm running Win98 and use ZoneAlarm Pro.
    >
    > Microsoft Firewall? Are you running Win98?
    > > --
    > > jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
    > > > I re-did Task Monitor thing and made sure i had re-booted; still no
    > > > luck. I also ran msinfo32; i don't see anything suspicious in the
    > > > Running Tasks list, tho' i'm not familiar with some of the tasks
    > > > (i.e. some tasks from Creative Technology such as "still image
    > > > devices monitor ' and a "mixer-loader" task). All the rest were
    > > > generally familiar (e.g. microsoft, firewall, and antivirus stuff).

Microsoft Windows