orphan

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
What is the difference between the 24-pin and the 24+4-pin main connector?
My board's manual says that i require an ATX power supply with 24-pin and 4-pin 12 V plugs. Does this mean i need the 24+4-pin main connector? The manual also tells me that it is ATX 12 V 2.0 compliant. What is ATX 12 V 2.0?
Somebody, please cure me of my ignorance. 8O

I think the 24+4 you need is the 24-pin and the square 4-pin cpu power connector.

The 24-pin connector is usually called 20+4 since you can remove the 4-pin part for "legacy" 20-pin boards. The CPU power is seperate and is usually a standalone connector near the CPU socket.

this newegg pic shows a 20+4 pin and a 4-pin cpu power connector at the lower right.

from ATX12V design guide:

-----

1.2. Key Changes for ATX12V Version 2.0 and later as
Compared with ATX and Pervious Versions of ATX12V Power
Supply
This section briefly summarizes the major changes made to this document that now defines
ATX12V power supply. With the move to 12V voltage regulators for the processor, ATX
guidelines for 5V as main power are no longer provided.

1.2.1. Increased +12 VDC output capability
System components that use 12V are continuing to increase in power. In cases where
expected current requirements is greater than 18A a second 12 V rail should be made
available. ATX12V power supplies should be designed to accommodate these increased
+12 VDC currents.

1.2.2. Minimum Efficiency
Minimum measured efficiency is required to be 70% at full and typical (50%) load and
60% at light (20%) load. New recommended guidance has been added to provide
direction for future requirements.

1.2.3. Main Power Connector:
The 2 x 10 main power connector has been replaced by a 2 x 12 connector. This was made to
support 75 watt PCI Express*requirements. Pinout assignments are based on the SSI
recommendation.
With the added 12V, 5V, and 3.3V pins the need for an Aux Power connector is no longer
needed and the guidance for this connector has been removed.

1.2.4. Separate current limit for 12V2 on the 2x2 connector:
The 12V rail on the 2 x 2 power connector should be a separate current limited output to meet
the requirements of UL and EN 60950.

2.03 is the current version of the ATX Specification as of this writing. Future references to the ATX
Specification in this document imply version 2.03 or later, as applicable.