no sound or soundcard recognized after upg to Win98SE

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2005 11:28:33 PM

Someone upgraded my PC from Windows98 to Win98 SE. At that point, it doesn't
recognize either a Soundblaster card or sound device in motherboard. Any
ideas? Please be kind! :o ) Thank you
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2005 12:36:38 AM

"Bill Shibilski" <PolkaParty@wfuv.org> wrote in message

> Someone upgraded my PC from Windows98 to Win98 SE. At that point, it
doesn't
> recognize either a Soundblaster card or sound device in motherboard. Any
> ideas? Please be kind! :o ) Thank you

As you know, Win98 is supposed to recognize new
(Plug & Play) components at boot. If not, you
can try / start / settings / control panel / ADD NEW HARDWARE
and enter the correct details to load drivers from the right CD.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

That is odd. If you upgraded from 98 to 98SE, the installed drivers should have
remained intact. Are you sure they didn't do a fresh installation of 98SE rather
than upgrading your existing 98 installation?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Bill Shibilski" <PolkaParty@wfuv.org> wrote in message
> Someone upgraded my PC from Windows98 to Win98 SE. At that point, it doesn't
> recognize either a Soundblaster card or sound device in motherboard. Any
> ideas? Please be kind! :o ) Thank you

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2005 3:12:42 AM

Drivers didn't update...In addition, Sound troubleshooting in Help Window
went blank.
I was told it was an upgrade. All my other programs and files remained
intact.

Any other thoughts?

> That is odd. If you upgraded from 98 to 98SE, the installed drivers
should have
> remained intact. Are you sure they didn't do a fresh installation of 98SE
rather
> than upgrading your existing 98 installation?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Bill Shibilski" <PolkaParty@wfuv.org> wrote in message
> > Someone upgraded my PC from Windows98 to Win98 SE. At that point, it
doesn't
> > recognize either a Soundblaster card or sound device in motherboard. Any
> > ideas? Please be kind! :o ) Thank you

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2005 4:24:45 AM

Every cumulative IE critical Windows Update will take your
Troubleshooters away, for security reasons.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188867
Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems. This article contains a
link to what it says is the equivalent of the Windows Help
Troubleshooters...
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
That's it, but it doesn't always work. So, here is how to get them back
when offline...

NOTE: This first step undoes a security measure put into one/two files
that will not get reinstated by the undo .reg that follows. The .reg's
only disable/enable the kill bit.

(1) "START, Find, F&F, Tshoot.inf"; R-Clk it & select "Install".
You still won't have the Troubleshooters yet.
(2) "START button, Run, RegEdit"
(3) Navigate to...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}

Compatibility Flags 0x00000400 (1024) <<Dword value 400

....this way...
(a) Click plus signs, beginning with "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE",
& ending with "ActiveX Compatibility".
(b) Click "{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}" itself in the left
pane. Now, you see "Compatibility Flags 0x00000400 (1024)" in the
right pane.
(c) Use Regedit's "Registry menu, Export Registry file".

This will create a ".reg" file of the entire Key that is open...
all the items in the right pane & all sub-keys in the left pane (if
there is a plus sign to the one selected). Give it a name & location of
your choosing, even to the Desktop or My Documents. Name that one
"NoTrouble.reg". It will look like...

....Start.....
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

....End.......

(d) Close RegEdit. You now have an "undo" .reg, named "NoTrouble.reg".
(e) Make a copy of it called "Trouble.reg".
(f) Open "Trouble.reg" in Notepad. Change the "dword" to look as
follows... all zeros...

....Start..of "Trouble.reg"...
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000000

....End.......

CAREFUL: That "HKEY" is one line, with TWO spaces only. One between
"Internet Explorer", & the other between "ActiveX Compatibility". Make
sure it looks that way in Notepad, before you click to Save. Also, you
must have an empty line at bottom.

Now, "Trouble.reg" gives you the Troubleshooters. "NoTrouble.reg" will
give you security by taking them away. Remember to undo it, after you
are done looking at the Troubleshooters.

(2) By default, when a ".reg" is clicked, it will Merge into the
Registry. To alter the default behavior: "START, Settings, Folder
Options, File Types tab". Scroll to & click "Registration Entries",
click the "Edit" button, select "edit" in the window & click the "Set
Default" button. Now, when you click a ".reg" file, it will open in
Notepad for examination. To merge it into the Registry, R-Clk it &
select "Merge".

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| Drivers didn't update...In addition, Sound troubleshooting in Help
Window
| went blank.
| I was told it was an upgrade. All my other programs and files remained
| intact.
|
| Any other thoughts?
|

| "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| > That is odd. If you upgraded from 98 to 98SE, the installed drivers
| should have
| > remained intact. Are you sure they didn't do a fresh installation
of 98SE
| rather
| > than upgrading your existing 98 installation?
| > --
| > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| >

| > "Bill Shibilski" <PolkaParty@wfuv.org> wrote in message
| > > Someone upgraded my PC from Windows98 to Win98 SE. At that point,
it
| doesn't
| > > recognize either a Soundblaster card or sound device in
motherboard. Any
| > > ideas? Please be kind! :o ) Thank you

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2005 4:29:09 AM

Try updating your drivers. This may mean going to the sound card
manufacturers web site.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2005 2:07:13 AM

Download and install the correct drivers from the device manufacturer's web site, or
from the driver disc that came with the computer, if there is one. You may also
have to install the motherboard/chipset drivers.

Regarding the blank Troubleshooters in Help, there are two different fixes,
depending on the Windows updates you have installed.

The original fix for the older update was this:
First, click Start> Settings> Folder Options> View tab, and click to enable "Show
All Files" and click OK.
Click Start> Find> File or Folders, and search the C:\ drive for a file named
Tshoot.inf...it should be found in the \Windows\Inf folder.
Right-click Tshoot.inf and click Install on the menu that appears.

If the latest cumulative patch for Internet Explorer is installed, follow the
procedure above and then use the workaround explained here:
http://home.comcast.net/~bascon58/98Help.htm
and
http://mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/SoftFixes.htm
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Bill Shibilski" <PolkaParty@wfuv.org> wrote in message
> Drivers didn't update...In addition, Sound troubleshooting in Help Window
> went blank.
> I was told it was an upgrade. All my other programs and files remained
> intact.
>
> Any other thoughts?

> > That is odd. If you upgraded from 98 to 98SE, the installed drivers
> should have
> > remained intact. Are you sure they didn't do a fresh installation of 98SE
> rather
> > than upgrading your existing 98 installation?
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Bill Shibilski" <PolkaParty@wfuv.org> wrote in message
> > > Someone upgraded my PC from Windows98 to Win98 SE. At that point, it
> doesn't
> > > recognize either a Soundblaster card or sound device in motherboard. Any
> > > ideas? Please be kind! :o ) Thank you

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2005 4:13:12 AM

Thank you. Here's what happened. The first link (Comcast) has a warning that
the info is either outdated or wrong. The second link does give me the
Troubleshooter choices in Help but, when I click on display and make a
choice (in this case "...no sound"), the solution half of the Help windows
is blank.

> Download and install the correct drivers from the device manufacturer's
web site, or
> from the driver disc that came with the computer, if there is one. You
may also
> have to install the motherboard/chipset drivers.
>
> Regarding the blank Troubleshooters in Help, there are two different
fixes,
> depending on the Windows updates you have installed.
>
> The original fix for the older update was this:
> First, click Start> Settings> Folder Options> View tab, and click to
enable "Show
> All Files" and click OK.
> Click Start> Find> File or Folders, and search the C:\ drive for a file
named
> Tshoot.inf...it should be found in the \Windows\Inf folder.
> Right-click Tshoot.inf and click Install on the menu that appears.
>
> If the latest cumulative patch for Internet Explorer is installed, follow
the
> procedure above and then use the workaround explained here:
> http://home.comcast.net/~bascon58/98Help.htm
> and
> http://mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/SoftFixes.htm
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Bill Shibilski" <PolkaParty@wfuv.org> wrote in message
> > Drivers didn't update...In addition, Sound troubleshooting in Help
Window
> > went blank.
> > I was told it was an upgrade. All my other programs and files remained
> > intact.
> >
> > Any other thoughts?
> >

> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > That is odd. If you upgraded from 98 to 98SE, the installed drivers
> > should have
> > > remained intact. Are you sure they didn't do a fresh installation of
98SE
> > rather
> > > than upgrading your existing 98 installation?
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "Bill Shibilski" <PolkaParty@wfuv.org> wrote in message
> > doesn't
Any

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2005 1:35:06 AM

Re: the Comcast link: yes, the site has moved, but the warning page you mention also
had a prominent link to the new site. I suspect you did not follow both procedures,
for the two updates that broke the troubleshooters. Go here:
http://basconotw.mvps.org/98_help.htm
click the TSW link near the top of the page, and follow the instructions to 1) enact
the original fix, which was to re-install the tshoot.inf ; and 2) follow the
procedure in "Workaround 1". I believe both fixes must be performed.
--

news:o vlTIPvnFHA.3564@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

!