missing device file

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 11, 2005 12:53:41 AM

recently i recd the following msg on starting my comp.--Cannot find a device
file that may be needed to run Windows or a windows application
The windows registry or system . ini file refers to this device file but
the device file no longer exists.
if you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated
application using its uninstall or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file
try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file
CSHOOK . VXD

im using win98se--but have no idea what to do--please help

More about : missing device file

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:34:36 AM

Did you uninstall CleanSweep, a Norton Util? If so, reinstall if you want
to use it

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"lizz" <lizz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> recently i recd the following msg on starting my comp.--Cannot find a
> device
> file that may be needed to run Windows or a windows application
> The windows registry or system . ini file refers to this device file but
> the device file no longer exists.
> if you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated
> application using its uninstall or setup program.
> If you still want to use the application associated with this device file
> try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file
> CSHOOK . VXD
>
> im using win98se--but have no idea what to do--please help

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:12:05 AM

thank ron--ill try and re-install as u have suggested