missing device file

recently i recd the following msg on starting my comp.--Cannot find a device
file that may be needed to run Windows or a windows application
The windows registry or system . ini file refers to this device file but
the device file no longer exists.
if you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated
application using its uninstall or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file
try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file
CSHOOK . VXD

im using win98se--but have no idea what to do--please help
2 answers Last reply
More about missing device file

    Did you uninstall CleanSweep, a Norton Util? If so, reinstall if you want
    to use it

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "lizz" <lizz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > recently i recd the following msg on starting my comp.--Cannot find a
    > device
    > file that may be needed to run Windows or a windows application
    > The windows registry or system . ini file refers to this device file but
    > the device file no longer exists.
    > if you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated
    > application using its uninstall or setup program.
    > If you still want to use the application associated with this device file
    > try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file
    > CSHOOK . VXD
    >
    > im using win98se--but have no idea what to do--please help

    thank ron--ill try and re-install as u have suggested

    "lizz" wrote:

    > recently i recd the following msg on starting my comp.--Cannot find a device
    > file that may be needed to run Windows or a windows application
    > The windows registry or system . ini file refers to this device file but
    > the device file no longer exists.
    > if you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated
    > application using its uninstall or setup program.
    > If you still want to use the application associated with this device file
    > try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file
    > CSHOOK . VXD
    >
    > im using win98se--but have no idea what to do--please help

Microsoft Devices Registry Windows