R1800 strange admission

In a short product description in the Circuits section of the Thursday
New York Times an Epson Product manager says that the existing
2200 has light shades that to many photographers produce better
reproduction of subtle colors. The R1800 has blue and red
instead which produce pictures which are technically less accurate,
but more agreeable to most people.

Either the R1800 is a step backward in color fidelity or Epson
is just trying to unload the older model.
Color gamut tests would be interesting...

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com

I suspect it is a bit of both. The R 800/1800 uses a different ink set,
including a red and a blue ink, and removed the low dye load inks.
CMYRBK(matte)K+Gloss. The 2200 uses CcMmYKk and the K is replaceable
between K matte and K photo/glossy. The lack of low dye load c and m
may have a subtle difference in very delicate middle hue colors.

However, Epson will never admit an older printer is inferior until they
are all sold out.

Art

Robert Feinman wrote:

> In a short product description in the Circuits section of the Thursday
> New York Times an Epson Product manager says that the existing
> 2200 has light shades that to many photographers produce better
> reproduction of subtle colors. The R1800 has blue and red
> instead which produce pictures which are technically less accurate,
> but more agreeable to most people.
>
> Either the R1800 is a step backward in color fidelity or Epson
> is just trying to unload the older model.
> Color gamut tests would be interesting...

The 2200 from what I understand is not being discontinued. You will have a
choice of printers in the wide format.

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> I suspect it is a bit of both. The R 800/1800 uses a different ink set,
> including a red and a blue ink, and removed the low dye load inks.
> CMYRBK(matte)K+Gloss. The 2200 uses CcMmYKk and the K is replaceable
> between K matte and K photo/glossy. The lack of low dye load c and m
> may have a subtle difference in very delicate middle hue colors.

I was also wondering about this choice. Canon went in their i9900
for 2 additional inks as well, but they chose red and green, Epson
presents blue as the additional color. Only some good gamut tests
can bring some clarity into this issue.

Thomas

> However, Epson will never admit an older printer is inferior until they
> are all sold out.
>
> Art
>
> Robert Feinman wrote:
>
> > In a short product description in the Circuits section of the Thursday
> > New York Times an Epson Product manager says that the existing
> > 2200 has light shades that to many photographers produce better
> > reproduction of subtle colors. The R1800 has blue and red
> > instead which produce pictures which are technically less accurate,
> > but more agreeable to most people.
> >
> > Either the R1800 is a step backward in color fidelity or Epson
> > is just trying to unload the older model.
> > Color gamut tests would be interesting...

Toby

I saw a comparison between the Japanese equivalents of the 2200 and the
R1800 and the 2200 definitely had better tonal separation in the dark areas.
In Japan Epson claims superior longevity and a better color gamut for the
new printer.

Toby

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
>I suspect it is a bit of both. The R 800/1800 uses a different ink set,
>including a red and a blue ink, and removed the low dye load inks.
>CMYRBK(matte)K+Gloss. The 2200 uses CcMmYKk and the K is replaceable
>between K matte and K photo/glossy. The lack of low dye load c and m may
>have a subtle difference in very delicate middle hue colors.
>
> However, Epson will never admit an older printer is inferior until they
> are all sold out.
>
> Art
>
> Robert Feinman wrote:
>
>> In a short product description in the Circuits section of the Thursday
>> New York Times an Epson Product manager says that the existing
>> 2200 has light shades that to many photographers produce better
>> reproduction of subtle colors. The R1800 has blue and red
>> instead which produce pictures which are technically less accurate,
>> but more agreeable to most people.
>>
>> Either the R1800 is a step backward in color fidelity or Epson
>> is just trying to unload the older model.
>> Color gamut tests would be interesting...

Toby

In Japan they are both being sold. The 1800 equivalent is priced about $100
higher than the original price for the 2200 equivalent, which has been
dropped in price about $200. The 2200 equivalent is now about $450 (US)
while the 1800 equivalent costs about $650. So interestingly it is cheaper
in the US.

Toby

"Safetymom123" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> The 2200 from what I understand is not being discontinued. You will have
> a choice of printers in the wide format.
>

> "Robert Feinman" <robertdfeinman@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> In a short product description in the Circuits section of the Thursday
>> New York Times an Epson Product manager says that the existing
>> 2200 has light shades that to many photographers produce better
>> reproduction of subtle colors. The R1800 has blue and red
>> instead which produce pictures which are technically less accurate,
>> but more agreeable to most people.
>>
>> Either the R1800 is a step backward in color fidelity or Epson
>> is just trying to unload the older model.
>> Color gamut tests would be interesting...
>>
>> --
>> Robert D Feinman
>> Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs
>> http://robertdfeinman.com
>> mail: robertdfeinman@netscape.net

I also understand there is some change in either inks or drivers with
the R1800 to further improve the color accuracy.

Art