Blank on start-up

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 11, 2005 4:38:03 PM

I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.

I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine with Win95. I
stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored Win98SE from
one of my image drives.
On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen flashing
cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the switch.
Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from the CD and
get the same result.
I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.

The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just came in with
EXACTLY the same symptoms.

Thanks for any input

More about : blank start

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:34:37 PM

I feel REALLY dumb right now.....

Found the problem, a "fuzzball" was stuck in the PS2 connector of my bench
mouse.
removed the fuzzball, removed the problem.

Thanks

"Vagrant" wrote:

> I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.
>
> I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine with Win95. I
> stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored Win98SE from
> one of my image drives.
> On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen flashing
> cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the switch.
> Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
> I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from the CD and
> get the same result.
> I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.
>
> The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just came in with
> EXACTLY the same symptoms.
>
> Thanks for any input

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:52:07 PM

You want to do a FRESH Install? Are you pure Windows or OEM, such as
Compaq? If you are OEM, then you can get back to factory condition by
using their recovery CD, such as QuickRestore, which may contain
proprietary drivers and add-ons. Otherwise...

http://www.hexff.com/win98_install.php How to Clean Install
This first has it all, but..
(a) Perhaps don't do the 2.5 swap file thing, &
(b) You may rather have multiple partitions, &
(c) Attend it's warning: Have any non-Windows peripheral drivers
available to install afterwards. Here...
http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
report/three-- & one (by Glee) that was so-so (or worse). SO, BETTER
make a full system backup, before wiping Windows.

http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html Badour has one
http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm Aumha has one
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250928 How to Reinstall Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
How to Reinstall Windows into a new folder

"Setup.txt", located in the same folder as "Setup.exe", either on CD or
hard drive. This instructs how to run it from a folder on the hard
drive, but "hexff" says it better.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971&Product=w98
"SU" Error Message List for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup

Get a Startup Diskette from
http://www.bootdisk.com/ , if you don't already have one from "Control
Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk tab". Test the Startup
Diskette. Boot it, put in a CD and "DIR" the CD. It will say which
letter is the CD. (Otherwise, it is likely one letter higher than
normal.)

Here is what I know of those Installation CD's. The full list of
capabilities of each type of CD is as follows, says Harper. Each
requires a valid Product key. "Proof" means it must see you had a prior
version. So, if it isn't sitting there, expect to insert a floppy or
earlier CD.

FULL VERSION: Will perform either clean install or upgrade of existing
OS. Does not ask for proof of ownership of an earlier version.

UPGRADE VERSION: Will perform either clean install or upgrade of
existing OS. Will ask for proof of ownership of an earlier version if
one is not installed.

WIN98 SE UPDATES: Will only install if Windows 98 is present on the hard
drive. Cannot be used for a clean install at all.

OEM VERSION: Only installs on a clean, fresh-formatted hard drive. May
be customized to include or omit components that would be found/not
found on a retail CD.

Be sure of your ProductKey...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
ProductKey "12345-12345-12345-12345-12345"

(1) "START, Run, RegEdit"
(2) Click plus signs beginning at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", & ending with
"Windows".
(3) Click "CurrentVersion" in the left pane under "Windows".
(4) Look in right pane for ProductKey.

That is the one that was used to install your current Windows. Jot it
down, as it may work if different from the one on your Windows 98 Manual
or CD case.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.
|
| I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine with
Win95. I
| stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored Win98SE
from
| one of my image drives.
| On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen flashing
| cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the switch.
| Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
| I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from the
CD and
| get the same result.
| I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.
|
| The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just came in
with
| EXACTLY the same symptoms.
|
| Thanks for any input

August 11, 2005 7:52:08 PM

Thanks for the reply, the system restore disks are Win95 and I generally
don't put them back on the street without at least a 98SE upgrade. I have a
computer repair shop and do this a few times a week. This is the first
computer in 6 years and a few hundred systems to ever give me this problem.

Thanks for the reply,

"PCR" wrote:

> [...]
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.
> |
> | I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine with
> Win95. I
> | stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored Win98SE
> from
> | one of my image drives.
> | On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen flashing
> | cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the switch.
> | Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
> | I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from the
> CD and
> | get the same result.
> | I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.
> |
> | The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just came in

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 8:53:23 PM

Have you checked for a BIOS update? Will it boot into Safe mode? Have you
checked the Gateway support site to see if it mentions any drivers or
updates that the system MUST have in order to run Win98 or Win98SE? Since
you know this normally works on just about any system, the fact that it
isn't working on this one may imply a hardware problem.

It could also be a video driver problem if it boots in safe mode:

Computer Hangs When You Restart for the First Time During Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193156

PattyL

> [...]
>> pcrrcp@netzero.net
>> "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> | I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.
>> |
>> | I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine with
>> Win95. I
>> | stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored Win98SE
>> from
>> | one of my image drives.
>> | On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen flashing
>> | cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the switch.
>> | Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
>> | I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from the
>> CD and
>> | get the same result.
>> | I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.
>> |
>> | The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just came in

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:28:09 PM

Damn, I was just going to mention a fuzz ball as the possible problem <G>.
Thanks for sharing.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 3D8037B-851B-4EB0-90EE-FF0ED11A6720@microsoft.com...
>I feel REALLY dumb right now.....
>
> Found the problem, a "fuzzball" was stuck in the PS2 connector of my bench
> mouse.
> removed the fuzzball, removed the problem.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Vagrant" wrote:
>
>> I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.
>>
>> I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine with
>> Win95. I
>> stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored Win98SE
>> from
>> one of my image drives.
>> On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen flashing
>> cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the switch.
>> Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
>> I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from the CD
>> and
>> get the same result.
>> I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.
>>
>> The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just came in
>> with
>> EXACTLY the same symptoms.
>>
>> Thanks for any input

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:37:36 PM

Looks likes PattyL came up with a good one to try.

(Hmm. I have... sometimes at least... seen in this machine a blank
screen with a blinking cursor at top left. It always eventually goes on
to boot, though.)

--
> [...]
| > (2) Click plus signs beginning at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", & ending
with
| > "Windows".
| > (3) Click "CurrentVersion" in the left pane under "Windows".
| > (4) Look in right pane for ProductKey.
| >
| > That is the one that was used to install your current Windows. Jot
it
| > down, as it may work if different from the one on your Windows 98
Manual
| > or CD case.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.
| > |
| > | I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine
with
| > Win95. I
| > | stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored
Win98SE
| > from
| > | one of my image drives.
| > | On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen
flashing
| > | cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the
switch.
| > | Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
| > | I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from
the
| > CD and
| > | get the same result.
| > | I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.
| > |
| > | The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just
came in
| > with
| > | EXACTLY the same symptoms.
| > |
| > | Thanks for any input
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:44:00 PM

Hmmm. I surely would have seconded Badour's opinion had he come up with
fuzzballs first.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 3D8037B-851B-4EB0-90EE-FF0ED11A6720@microsoft.com...
| I feel REALLY dumb right now.....
|
| Found the problem, a "fuzzball" was stuck in the PS2 connector of my
bench
| mouse.
| removed the fuzzball, removed the problem.
|
| Thanks
|
| "Vagrant" wrote:
|
| > I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.
| >
| > I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine with
Win95. I
| > stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored
Win98SE from
| > one of my image drives.
| > On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen
flashing
| > cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the switch.
| > Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
| > I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from the
CD and
| > get the same result.
| > I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.
| >
| > The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just came
in with
| > EXACTLY the same symptoms.
| >
| > Thanks for any input

Anonymous