Blank on start-up

I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.

I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine with Win95. I
stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored Win98SE from
one of my image drives.
On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen flashing
cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the switch.
Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from the CD and
get the same result.
I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.

The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just came in with
EXACTLY the same symptoms.

Thanks for any input
8 answers Last reply
More about blank start

    I feel REALLY dumb right now.....

    Found the problem, a "fuzzball" was stuck in the PS2 connector of my bench
    mouse.
    removed the fuzzball, removed the problem.

    Thanks

    "Vagrant" wrote:

    > I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.
    >
    > I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine with Win95. I
    > stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored Win98SE from
    > one of my image drives.
    > On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen flashing
    > cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the switch.
    > Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
    > I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from the CD and
    > get the same result.
    > I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.
    >
    > The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just came in with
    > EXACTLY the same symptoms.
    >
    > Thanks for any input

    You want to do a FRESH Install? Are you pure Windows or OEM, such as
    Compaq? If you are OEM, then you can get back to factory condition by
    using their recovery CD, such as QuickRestore, which may contain
    proprietary drivers and add-ons. Otherwise...

    http://www.hexff.com/win98_install.php How to Clean Install
    This first has it all, but..
    (a) Perhaps don't do the 2.5 swap file thing, &
    (b) You may rather have multiple partitions, &
    (c) Attend it's warning: Have any non-Windows peripheral drivers
    available to install afterwards. Here...
    http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
    http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
    Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
    that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
    report/three-- & one (by Glee) that was so-so (or worse). SO, BETTER
    make a full system backup, before wiping Windows.

    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html Badour has one
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm Aumha has one
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250928 How to Reinstall Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
    How to Reinstall Windows into a new folder

    "Setup.txt", located in the same folder as "Setup.exe", either on CD or
    hard drive. This instructs how to run it from a folder on the hard
    drive, but "hexff" says it better.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971&Product=w98
    "SU" Error Message List for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup

    Get a Startup Diskette from
    http://www.bootdisk.com/ , if you don't already have one from "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk tab". Test the Startup
    Diskette. Boot it, put in a CD and "DIR" the CD. It will say which
    letter is the CD. (Otherwise, it is likely one letter higher than
    normal.)

    Here is what I know of those Installation CD's. The full list of
    capabilities of each type of CD is as follows, says Harper. Each
    requires a valid Product key. "Proof" means it must see you had a prior
    version. So, if it isn't sitting there, expect to insert a floppy or
    earlier CD.

    FULL VERSION: Will perform either clean install or upgrade of existing
    OS. Does not ask for proof of ownership of an earlier version.

    UPGRADE VERSION: Will perform either clean install or upgrade of
    existing OS. Will ask for proof of ownership of an earlier version if
    one is not installed.

    WIN98 SE UPDATES: Will only install if Windows 98 is present on the hard
    drive. Cannot be used for a clean install at all.

    OEM VERSION: Only installs on a clean, fresh-formatted hard drive. May
    be customized to include or omit components that would be found/not
    found on a retail CD.

    Be sure of your ProductKey...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    ProductKey "12345-12345-12345-12345-12345"

    (1) "START, Run, RegEdit"
    (2) Click plus signs beginning at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", & ending with
    "Windows".
    (3) Click "CurrentVersion" in the left pane under "Windows".
    (4) Look in right pane for ProductKey.

    That is the one that was used to install your current Windows. Jot it
    down, as it may work if different from the one on your Windows 98 Manual
    or CD case.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.
    |
    | I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine with
    Win95. I
    | stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored Win98SE
    from
    | one of my image drives.
    | On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen flashing
    | cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the switch.
    | Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
    | I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from the
    CD and
    | get the same result.
    | I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.
    |
    | The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just came in
    with
    | EXACTLY the same symptoms.
    |
    | Thanks for any input

    Thanks for the reply, the system restore disks are Win95 and I generally
    don't put them back on the street without at least a 98SE upgrade. I have a
    computer repair shop and do this a few times a week. This is the first
    computer in 6 years and a few hundred systems to ever give me this problem.

    Thanks for the reply,

    "PCR" wrote:

> [...]
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.
    > |
    > | I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine with
    > Win95. I
    > | stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored Win98SE
    > from
    > | one of my image drives.
    > | On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen flashing
    > | cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the switch.
    > | Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
    > | I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from the
    > CD and
    > | get the same result.
    > | I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.
    > |
    > | The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just came in

    Have you checked for a BIOS update? Will it boot into Safe mode? Have you
    checked the Gateway support site to see if it mentions any drivers or
    updates that the system MUST have in order to run Win98 or Win98SE? Since
    you know this normally works on just about any system, the fact that it
    isn't working on this one may imply a hardware problem.

    It could also be a video driver problem if it boots in safe mode:

    Computer Hangs When You Restart for the First Time During Setup
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193156

    PattyL

> [...]
    >> pcrrcp@netzero.net
    >> "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> | I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.
    >> |
    >> | I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine with
    >> Win95. I
    >> | stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored Win98SE
    >> from
    >> | one of my image drives.
    >> | On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen flashing
    >> | cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the switch.
    >> | Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
    >> | I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from the
    >> CD and
    >> | get the same result.
    >> | I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.
    >> |
    >> | The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just came in

    Damn, I was just going to mention a fuzz ball as the possible problem <G>.
    Thanks for sharing.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    >I feel REALLY dumb right now.....
    >
    > Found the problem, a "fuzzball" was stuck in the PS2 connector of my bench
    > mouse.
    > removed the fuzzball, removed the problem.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Vagrant" wrote:
    >
    >> I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.
    >>
    >> I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine with
    >> Win95. I
    >> stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored Win98SE
    >> from
    >> one of my image drives.
    >> On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen flashing
    >> cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the switch.
    >> Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
    >> I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from the CD
    >> and
    >> get the same result.
    >> I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.
    >>
    >> The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just came in
    >> with
    >> EXACTLY the same symptoms.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any input

    Looks likes PattyL came up with a good one to try.

    (Hmm. I have... sometimes at least... seen in this machine a blank
    screen with a blinking cursor at top left. It always eventually goes on
    to boot, though.)

    --
> [...]
    | > (2) Click plus signs beginning at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", & ending
    with
    | > "Windows".
    | > (3) Click "CurrentVersion" in the left pane under "Windows".
    | > (4) Look in right pane for ProductKey.
    | >
    | > That is the one that was used to install your current Windows. Jot
    it
    | > down, as it may work if different from the one on your Windows 98
    Manual
    | > or CD case.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.
    | > |
    | > | I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine
    with
    | > Win95. I
    | > | stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored
    Win98SE
    | > from
    | > | one of my image drives.
    | > | On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen
    flashing
    | > | cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the
    switch.
    | > | Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
    | > | I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from
    the
    | > CD and
    | > | get the same result.
    | > | I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.
    | > |
    | > | The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just
    came in
    | > with
    | > | EXACTLY the same symptoms.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks for any input
    | > |
    | > |

    Hmmm. I surely would have seconded Badour's opinion had he come up with
    fuzzballs first.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I feel REALLY dumb right now.....
    |
    | Found the problem, a "fuzzball" was stuck in the PS2 connector of my
    bench
    | mouse.
    | removed the fuzzball, removed the problem.
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | "Vagrant" wrote:
    |
    | > I've got a strange one for anyone that wants to try and tackle it.
    | >
    | > I received a Gateway 2000 PII in the shop and it ran just fine with
    Win95. I
    | > stripped and re-partitioned/reformatted the drive and restored
    Win98SE from
    | > one of my image drives.
    | > On reboot, I get the win98 splash screen then a blank screen
    flashing
    | > cursor. The machine stops and needs to be turned off at the switch.
    | > Checked the bootlog.txt and nothing abnormal appears.
    | > I stripped the HD again and did a virgin install of Win98SE from the
    CD and
    | > get the same result.
    | > I did a hardware diagnostic and have 0 failures or problems.
    | >
    | > The best part: I have another machine with WinXP that just came
    in with
    | > EXACTLY the same symptoms.
    | >
    | > Thanks for any input

    <yawn> Huh? Did somebody call me?

    "Ron Badour" wrote in message
    > Damn, I was just going to mention a fuzz ball as the possible problem <G>.

Windows