Weird "Registered to" name

I opened the System dialog from the Control Panel on my home computer and saw
on the General tab that the "Registered to" name says:

Vicodin /CB/TNN
-(Dr. Diet Mountain Dew)-

I presume this means I have a virus or some kind of spyware. I regularly run
Spybot and have Norton Antivirus. What do I need to do about this? I have not
noticed any negative actions except that everything runs very slowly, not
just while on the Internet but Word and other applications. (Running Windows
98.)

Thanks for any info you can provide.
3 answers Last reply
More about weird registered name

    "JMFindley" <jmfindley@yahoo.com.(NOSPAM)> wrote in message
    > I opened the System dialog from the Control Panel on my home computer and
    saw
    > on the General tab that the "Registered to" name says:
    >
    > Vicodin /CB/TNN
    > -(Dr. Diet Mountain Dew)-
    >
    > I presume this means I have a virus or some kind of spyware. I regularly
    run
    > Spybot and have Norton Antivirus. What do I need to do about this? I have
    not
    > noticed any negative actions except that everything runs very slowly, not
    > just while on the Internet but Word and other applications. (Running
    Windows
    > 98.)
    >
    > Thanks for any info you can provide.

    Just Google or Yahoo for that exact search term.

    Vicodin /CB/TNN

    Also, go here

    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w97m.class.a.gen.html

    "JMFindley" <jmfindley@yahoo.com.(NOSPAM)> wrote in message
    > I opened the System dialog from the Control Panel on my home computer and saw
    > on the General tab that the "Registered to" name says:
    >
    > Vicodin /CB/TNN
    > -(Dr. Diet Mountain Dew)-
    >
    > I presume this means I have a virus or some kind of spyware. I regularly run
    > Spybot and have Norton Antivirus. What do I need to do about this? I have not
    > noticed any negative actions except that everything runs very slowly, not
    > just while on the Internet but Word and other applications. (Running Windows
    > 98.)
    >
    > Thanks for any info you can provide.

    Most likely the virus was cleaned and you just have some remnants.
    Put vicodin /cb/tnn in the search box in Google and you will find some
    relavant hits.
    One was:
    http://www.thenakedpc.com/cgi-bin/annoyarchive2.pl?read=6288

    Read the answer to the original post there and you should find your answer.

    "This can be done by Editing the Registry. Make sure you back up your registry
    before attempting the following:

    Run the registry editor by clicking Start/Run and typing RegEdit. Under the
    registry locate the following,

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENT VERSION.

    On the right pane locate the following entry: Registered Owner. Change the entry
    to your liking and then click save and exit. This should fix your problem."

    "JMFindley" <jmfindley@yahoo.com.(NOSPAM)> wrote in message
    > I opened the System dialog from the Control Panel on my home computer and saw
    > on the General tab that the "Registered to" name says:
    >
    > Vicodin /CB/TNN
    > -(Dr. Diet Mountain Dew)-
    >
    > I presume this means I have a virus or some kind of spyware. I regularly run
    > Spybot and have Norton Antivirus. What do I need to do about this? I have not
    > noticed any negative actions except that everything runs very slowly, not
    > just while on the Internet but Word and other applications. (Running Windows
    > 98.)
    >
    > Thanks for any info you can provide.

    Look here also:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w97m.class.a.gen.html

    This was one of the hits I got by putting "Dr. Diet Mountain Dew" in the
    search box in Google.

Windows