win 98 missing dll files

Hi, when I start windows 98 I get a message stating that two dll files are
missing. One is 'MFC71.DLL' and the other is 'MSVCP71.DLL'. I tried
searching my win98 cd with windows explorer, but could not find them.
Windows does start correctly and seem to run okay. The error boxes pop up on
my desktop just before windows finishes starting to run. Where do I find
these files? How do I replace them? Do I need them? Any help would be greatly
apprecicated.
Brian
3 answers Last reply
More about missing files

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=MFC71.DLL++MSVCP71.DLL&hl=en
    "MFC71.DLL MSVCP71.DLL" comes up 32 times at GG.

    Those are not Windows files. It doesn't sound at GG to be virus related,
    though. Have you installed or uninstalled something recently? Then,
    something went wrong with that.

    Did you...?...
    START button, Find, F/F, "MFC71.DLL, MSVCP71.DLL"
    ....no quotes, but use the comma.

    A .DLL may be started in the Startup Group by RunDLL32.exe. Also, there
    may be other ways it gets started. Therefore, selectively prevent the
    non-MS items in "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab", to see which is
    starting it.

    If you've uninstalled something lately, reinstall it, & uninstall it
    again properly in "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs". That way, if
    anything else was left behind, it too will hopefully go.

    (3) Well, consider...

    Check the Registry for a mention of MFC71.DLL & MSVCP71.DLL, Export, &
    Delete the line. However, if the line is in an MRU (Most Recently Used)
    list, just let it be...

    (a) "START, Run, RegEdit".
    (b) Select "Find" in the Edit menu. Search for those .dlls.
    (It may take a while.)

    (c) "Registry menu, Export Registry file".

    This will create a ".reg" file of the entire Key that is open...
    all the items in the right pane & any sub-keys in the left pane
    (supposing there was a plus sign on the one highlighted). Give it a name
    & location of your choosing, even to the Desktop or My Documents. Then,
    if something goes wrong with the following, you will be able to simply
    click that file, to Merge it's contents back into the Registry.

    (d) R-Clk the item(s) in the right or left pane that specifically
    mentions MFC71.DLL or MSVCP71.DLL, and select Delete.
    Anything in an MRU list may be left alone.
    You know what? Perhaps just do the Export's & post them.
    (e) Continue the search, at step (b).

    By default, when a ".reg" is clicked, it will Merge into the Registry.
    To alter the default behavior: "START, Settings, Folder Options, File
    Types tab". Scroll to & click "Registration Entries", click the "Edit"
    button, select "edit" in the window & click the "Set Default" button.
    Now, when you click a ".reg" file, it will open in Notepad for
    examination. To merge it into the Registry, R-Clk it & select "Merge".

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Hi, when I start windows 98 I get a message stating that two dll files
    are
    | missing. One is 'MFC71.DLL' and the other is 'MSVCP71.DLL'. I tried
    | searching my win98 cd with windows explorer, but could not find them.
    | Windows does start correctly and seem to run okay. The error boxes
    pop up on
    | my desktop just before windows finishes starting to run. Where do I
    find
    | these files? How do I replace them? Do I need them? Any help would be
    greatly
    | apprecicated.
    | Brian

    "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Hi, when I start windows 98 I get a message stating that two dll files are
    > missing. One is 'MFC71.DLL' and the other is 'MSVCP71.DLL'. I tried
    > searching my win98 cd with windows explorer, but could not find them.
    > Windows does start correctly and seem to run okay. The error boxes pop up
    on
    > my desktop just before windows finishes starting to run. Where do I find

    MS has a web site listing DLLs and recommending sources
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/fileversion/dllinfo.asp

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Brian wrote:
    > Hi, when I start windows 98 I get a message stating that two dll files are
    > missing. One is 'MFC71.DLL' and the other is 'MSVCP71.DLL'. I tried
    > searching my win98 cd with windows explorer, but could not find them.
    > Windows does start correctly and seem to run okay. The error boxes pop up on
    > my desktop just before windows finishes starting to run. Where do I find
    > these files? How do I replace them? Do I need them? Any help would be greatly
    > apprecicated.

    Those DLLs are Visual C++ runtime modules. Those would not be present if
    you installed any kind of 3rd party applications that came with an
    poorly designed setup program or if you simply copied them into place
    without installing them properly.

    If this is unlikely, you may want to check your startup lists (I'd
    recomend RegCleaner to find them all in one place
    http://dustworld.dyndns.org/c:/dustwolf/files/freeware/regclnr.exe) for
    any programs loading that you did not put there. A spyware / virus scan
    might be the easier way to start.

    If however any program that you installed isn't running and should be,
    you might just want to find those two DLLs on the internet and put them
    in your windows\system directory.

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor